PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret/Progressive Presses: Lee Breech Lock Bushing Compatible?

VariableRecall
12-08-2020, 09:08 PM
I've been doing more research into Lee's semi-progressive/progressive presses. Taking a look at the exchangeable plates, It doesn't look like they are compatible with the ever-so-convenient Lee Breech Lock Bushings that I've been using with my Lee Hand Press.

I'd assume that the "Quick Swap" nature of the plates is that you can swap out plates that are ready to use and dialed in upon caliber changes. When you have the luxury of multiple holes to put dies into, I'd suppose that the utility of quick swapping dies cancelled out.

Which Lee Products, besides my Hand Press, are Breech Lock bushing compatible?

Evoken
12-08-2020, 09:19 PM
The APP uses breech lock fittings. Many of the accessories use the breech lock fittings, like the bulge buster and the new style sizers.

John Boy
12-08-2020, 09:22 PM
When it becomes available, the Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press is the press to buy with extra turrets. I have the Three Press with extra turrets and have reloaded All my long calibers on it for about 10 years now. All my hand gun calibers are loaded on a Dillon 550B

VariableRecall
12-08-2020, 09:35 PM
When it becomes available, the Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press is the press to buy with extra turrets. I have the Three Press with extra turrets and have reloaded All my long calibers on it for about 10 years now. All my hand gun calibers are loaded on a Dillon 550B

Looks like both Lee and Midway USA are all sold out of that one! I think I've narrowed the various Lee presses down to the 4 Hole Turret as the one to get as my first tabletop press in the future. I'm not going to going to the range nearly enough to warrant a loadmaster (I'm no competition shooter), but I still like the prospect of its compact size and speed compared to my hand press.

I think that APP might be something to consider as well but that seems to be a handful to set up compared to a rotating turret.

swamp
12-08-2020, 10:00 PM
You might try Titan Reloading. They are good to deal with.

Evoken
12-08-2020, 10:21 PM
The APP is nice for what I use it for. Sizing up tumble lube boolits ( and maybe pc someday) and straightening swelled up case. I don't think I would want to use it as a dedicated single stage press. Certainly not my 1st bench mounted press.
Ken

VariableRecall
12-08-2020, 11:58 PM
The APP is nice for what I use it for. Sizing up tumble lube boolits ( and maybe pc someday) and straightening swelled up case. I don't think I would want to use it as a dedicated single stage press. Certainly not my 1st bench mounted press.
Ken

It seems to me like the APP is more specialized for things like sizing boolits and cases.
Having something that's compatible with a collator and Boolit grabber at that kind of price point is downright miraculous, like most Lee products.
Using a Lee Sizer with a Hand press is a very, very awkward endeavor but it's quite possible to do at a reasonable clip. Seems to me like the 4 holer would be the thing to get in the future.

onelight
12-09-2020, 12:07 AM
The Lee auto breech lock pro/pro 4000 uses the bushings but it is a progressive works 4 stations each pull of the lever. I like the tool head better on the turret they are cheaper and quicker to change out than the bushings if you want to keep each set of dies setup and adjusted . I have and like both for different reasons and uses.

Dimner
12-09-2020, 01:08 AM

This is exactly the way to go.

I have set up my 4 hole lee press so the turrets are one for each caliber.

I had used the single stage with the breech lock bushings before that. But found myself swapping everything out all the time during load development and between cartridges.

Now I have the best of both worlds. The single stage with individual bushings for my universal decapping die, bullet puller, NOE push through sizing die, and mouth expander die. Everything else is caliber specific on 4 hole turrets (sizing die, seating die, factory crimp die, and for some cartridges the necksizing die.. goal being i do not need to undo the settings for the dies. Pop the whole turret out, and just swap to a different cartridge when needed.

I also use the lee APP sometimes for large batch brass processing. Like when I want to do 300 to 1000 cases at once. That also takes the bushings from the single stage press.

Word of caution. Hold on to any steel bushings you have. Both the ring lock and the non ring lock. The new Lee bushings made out of aluminium are awful. Do not stand up to use. At least for me.

Bazoo
12-09-2020, 01:58 AM
VR, try using the hand press upside down when sizing bullets. You're right, it is somewhat awkward. I rarely size bullets with mine, but I use it often for normal loading operations. I like to set outside and load when it's pretty out. And I take it to my building where I cast, and work on brass while my pot heats. As well as read while it heats.

VariableRecall
12-09-2020, 07:44 AM
VR, try using the hand press upside down when sizing bullets. You're right, it is somewhat awkward. I rarely size bullets with mine, but I use it often for normal loading operations. I like to set outside and load when it's pretty out. And I take it to my building where I cast, and work on brass while my pot heats. As well as read while it heats.

Thanks for the tip! I've had better results using the Hand press on my lap when sizing. I shove the boolits in with my thumb and give them a push with the sizer.

Dimner
12-09-2020, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the tip! I've had better results using the Hand press on my lap when sizing. I shove the boolits in with my thumb and give them a push with the sizer.

Another tip for hand sizing. It will size with less effort the cleaner the case is and even more if you are generous with the sizing lube.