PDA

View Full Version : Buying a gun because you have primers for it...

richbug
12-08-2020, 02:20 PM
I would bet most on here have bought a gun because they discovered a stray box of ammo to fit it in the closet...

In light of the current events I decided to do a primer inventory and discovered that I have several 1000 large pistol primers, but no gun to use them in. I have owned assorted 44(stint in cowboy shooting)s, 45(trying to see why everyone loved 1911s)and 10mm(semi auto hand cannon stint) in the past, probably where they came from... The question is what to do? Or does it just make more sense just to trade them to someone for primers I do use.

gbrown
12-08-2020, 02:26 PM
In light of the current situation, it seems to me that it would be better to trade for primers you already have a use for. I assume you have cast for those and have cases and powder for those.

farmbif
12-08-2020, 02:34 PM
1000 primers will last you a bit longer when using a 45 colt single action compared to a 1911 in 45 auto. and something to think about, unless you already got molds brass and sizing die, primers are just part of the battle. I happen to have a box of 1000 federal large pistol magnum match primers, I don't think I'm going shopping for a match quality handgun any time soon.

chutesnreloads
12-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Considering the current situation, I'd just hold on to them until you have a need of something you can trade them for or someone you care about has a need for them

Winger Ed.
12-08-2020, 02:47 PM
You probably 'need' a lever action in .44Mag or .45Colt.

Tatume
12-08-2020, 02:59 PM
S&W Model 25 or Model 625 is an awful lot of fun.

Joe504
12-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Ruger Model 44.
A 44 Mag carbine.
Then figure out how to make 10 or 20 round mags and make me some [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hithard
12-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Send them to me....they're old and most likely a lot of them will ftf.

Wheelguns 1961
12-08-2020, 03:19 PM
I get where the original poster is coming from. My casting and reloading have been driving my gun purchases for quite some time. My favorite thing is load development. When everything is shooting great, it is time for a new caliber or new gun.

Gtrubicon
12-08-2020, 03:37 PM
I really have never needed much of a reason for a new gun myself, this is a good reason! If you have the rest of the components to load for whatever you may buy.

JM7.7x58
12-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Another way to use those up would be in low node rifle loads. A few respected members here have used LP primers in low pressure, plinking type, cast rifle loads. Think 30-30, 308, or 30-06, a small charge of bullseye or other fast powder, and a Lee 311-100-2r plain base.

JM

Yooper003
12-08-2020, 03:44 PM
I get where the original poster is coming from. My casting and reloading have been driving my gun purchases for quite some time. My favorite thing is load development. When everything is shooting great, it is time for a new caliber or new gun.
I can relate to that, latest is 38/55 barrel for encore.

dverna
12-08-2020, 04:19 PM
I have never bought a gun because I found ammunition for it. My own strategy is to have fewer calibers and buy in bulk so I never run out of what I need.

If you need a gun that uses LPP’s go for it. Buying a gun you do not really need and the stuff to load it, is a tougher thing to rationalize.

Have you considered taking 100 cases can modifying them to use LPP?

gwpercle
12-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Save em ... in a few years they may become more valuable than gold or silver !

If they don't ... everyone should have a 1911 in 45 acp stashed around ... My AMT Hardballer is sitting here on the desk looking handsome with it's new Ahrends Ebony Grips highlighted by the stainless steel frame and slide .
Gary

metricmonkeywrench
12-08-2020, 06:04 PM
Um guilty[smilie=s:

fatnhappy
12-08-2020, 06:06 PM
I've heard worse reasons. Just saying......

Conditor22
12-08-2020, 06:16 PM
I've heard of buying a gun because you picked up some brass at the range

buying a gun because of primers is just as good an excuse.

Before I did that I'd try to find a local gun forum and see if you could trade them straight across for something you want.

BUT, from what I have seen, LPP are the least traded for primers out there around here.

Hogtamer
12-08-2020, 09:09 PM
I recently bought one because I have plenty of ammo for it though.

richhodg66
12-08-2020, 10:15 PM
How does anybody NOT have a large caliber pistol around (or a small caliber one for that matter)?

I can't remember when I didn't have something around that used large pistol, large rifle, small pistol and small rifle primers.

Bmi48219
12-08-2020, 11:04 PM
There a lots of firearms I’d LIKE to own. All the firearms I own now were, at one time, in that ‘like’ to own category. Big difference between ‘Need’ and ‘Want’. I’m guessing not many of us really ‘Need’ another firearm.
But, having some of the components to reload for a new firearm seems more like a rationalization than a valid reason for buying. On the other hand, for example, if one already owns and reloads for a 45 LC, buying another 45 LC would be a justifiable cost saving measure, assuming you had to explain your motives.
If you can afford something you want, buy it because you want it and let the chips fall where they may.

frkelly74
12-09-2020, 12:02 AM
I got a 38 partly because I had some brass. I have some 357 brass that rattles at me when I walk by it now. I have seen a Colt King Cobra and I think it hissed at me.

samari46
12-09-2020, 02:00 AM
Well I have 35 rem brass, dies and some factory ammo, but no 35 rem caliber firearm to shoot it in. Most of the ones I've seen down here pre covid were beat to death and the dealers seemed to think they were sitting on a gold mine. Frank

MrWolf
12-09-2020, 07:09 AM
Don't ask me. I've bought guns because I found some brass or the wind blew or the day of the week ended in "y". Good luck.

FISH4BUGS
12-09-2020, 08:08 AM
I like Hensley & Gibbs moulds. I bought a #258 (41 mag) 6 cavity because.....well, just because. Great shape?....sure....that's why. I'll use that as an excuse.
It certainly wasn't a bargain.
Do I have a 41 mag gun? Of course not.
I am on the lookout for a 41 mag older S&W.
....and if you have ONLY a couple of thousand LP primers...I have to ask.....why so few? :)

dale2242
12-09-2020, 10:09 AM
I assume this "Out Of Stock" issue is only going to get worse in the short term.
I do not NEED or WANT more guns at this time.
If they were mine and I had no use for them I would keep them.
They are going to be valuable trading stock in the future.

bedbugbilly
12-09-2020, 10:15 AM
I fully understand the OP's outlook.

Right now, my reloading/casting is dictated on the primers I have on hand. I placed an order for powder/primers at the first start of May and couldn't get SP primers so added in some other sizes. I'm sitting on a good supply of LR primers so am looking for a single shot 30-30 to use them in. That will afford me to enjoy a lot of pleasure in shooting/plinking. Where a guy is going to get into trouble is if he is one of the "quantity over quality" shooters. Makes no sense to buy a firearm that you are going to fire as fast as you can and use up a lot of ammo - and we all know shooters like that.

richbug
12-09-2020, 10:24 AM
I assume this "Out Of Stock" issue is only going to get worse in the short term.
I do not NEED or WANT more guns at this time.
If they were mine and I had no use for them I would keep them.
They are going to be valuable trading stock in the future.

That is what the sensible part of me says... The one who likes steel mechanical things says an N frame would be a nice way to keep shooting if things stay ugly for a long time.

I have powder, molds, and a little brass for 44, and 45acp. Lots of powder, bullets, boolits, molds for the 10mm but very little brass. I think I have all the parts to load 45 and 10 on the 650. The 44 I would have to single stage but do have dies.

Actual count on the primers is 4 full bricks plus 1500-2000 strays in the little packs.

Opening up some 40 S&W brass to use the primers is something I hadn't considered. I have a lathe with a collet headstock set up. I 'll investigate if I have a collet that will hold 40 cases, if I do, should be easy enough to rig up a stop to hold the brass at a constant depth from the inside, and make a cutter of some sort to do the pockets quick.

Markopolo
12-09-2020, 10:38 AM
I completely can relate to this...

Not to bash semi auto folks in any way, but when ammo components are tight, look for the single shot...

FISH4BUGS
12-09-2020, 12:59 PM
Where a guy is going to get into trouble is if he is one of the "quantity over quality" shooters. Makes no sense to buy a firearm that you are going to fire as fast as you can and use up a lot of ammo - and we all know shooters like that.
Yes....I know a lot of shooters like that too....and they shoot machine guns.
The bad news is that we burn up a lot of ammo and components.
The good news is that you CAN shoot cast in the pistol caliber subguns.
The other good news is that we buy in bulk. Primers in 5000 lots, sometimes 10,000.
Powder in 8 lb jugs...sometimes a case (4) at a time.
Brass by 5-10,000 lots.
Lead....as much as we can get our hands on always.
Quantity over quality? No choice really. Both! :)

JM7.7x58
12-09-2020, 03:40 PM
That is what the sensible part of me says... The one who likes steel mechanical things says an N frame would be a nice way to keep shooting if things stay ugly for a long time.

I have powder, molds, and a little brass for 44, and 45acp. Lots of powder, bullets, boolits, molds for the 10mm but very little brass. I think I have all the parts to load 45 and 10 on the 650. The 44 I would have to single stage but do have dies.

Actual count on the primers is 4 full bricks plus 1500-2000 strays in the little packs.

Opening up some 40 S&W brass to use the primers is something I hadn't considered. I have a lathe with a collet headstock set up. I 'll investigate if I have a collet that will hold 40 cases, if I do, should be easy enough to rig up a stop to hold the brass at a constant depth from the inside, and make a cutter of some sort to do the pockets quick.

Or, get a few hundred 10mm cases and trim them back to 40s&w length. 10mm use LP primers.

JM

beemer
12-09-2020, 04:04 PM
I too have some large pistol primers but they are magnums, they were left over from a 44 mag that went down the road. I use then in my mild lead loads and they work great.

Dave

downzero
12-09-2020, 04:14 PM
I use far more small pistol than large, but if you have a desire for a large pistol gun, certainly a 45 ACP or 45 Colt would be my choice, followed by the 429 diameter and then the 401 diameter after that. Not for any particular reason other than that I have more use for a 45 than a 44 or a 10mm myself, and the capabilities of those cartridges also encompass what I'd use the others for. A convertible single action revolver that shot both 45 cartridges or the Redhawk that does both could be fun. And if I'm reading your post correctly and you really don't have a 1911, let me tell you that you really ought to have at least one of those.

I find myself not shooting very much large pistol primer cartridges but I can't imagine getting rid of them!

frkelly74
12-09-2020, 10:38 PM
I really need to get an idea of what my primer situation is. It might be a long drought.

dverna
12-09-2020, 11:17 PM

If you decide to enlarge the primer pockets, make them a tad smaller in diameter, them use a primer pocket swagger to get them uniform. You will not need to be quite as anal about the machining process.

I like the suggestion to trim 10mm brass for use in the .40.

Good luck!

Deakota57
12-09-2020, 11:33 PM
I have also a lot of large pistol primers... trying to talk the better half to get me a 45 long colt for Christmas. So far... I don’t know.. working on that honey to do list.

gnappi
12-10-2020, 04:35 AM
It's not only primers :-)

Way back when the .357 SIG was released I jumped on the caliber (SIG P226 with .40 and .357 barrels) like a cat on a mouse. After a few years a shooting buddy hounded me to buy it, and as svelte something or other in another platform swayed me to let him get it.

Recently I found several hundred loaded .357 SIG rounds packed away from my last move. I won't sell reloaded ammo, pulling them would be too time consuming and I figured... why not something like a 1911 bbl in sig, or a slide for my P226? The cost of the ammo is more than both so I'm on the hunt, yet again!

kevin c
12-10-2020, 04:58 AM
I'm reading on various shooting forums, and it seems to hold up at least looking at what's for sale in those same forums, that small pistol primers are hard to find anywhere. For instance, where folks are offering to trade primers, they usually HAVE large pistol and WANT small pistol. So a trade for the OP may be problematic.

I collected .45 ACP brass, planning to buy a 1911. I kept putting off the purchase but still kept collecting brass. Eventually I had so much I sold PART of the stash and used the proceeds to finally buy the pistol.

A large pistol primer weighs about 4.5 grains, I think. A Troy ounce is 480 grains, equivalent to 106 primers. Gunbroker would have you pay 20˘ for each primer, so that's about $21 worth. So primers are close to being worth their weight in silver, but fortunately have a long way to go to beat gold.

richbug
12-10-2020, 11:53 AM
I'm reading on various shooting forums, and it seems to hold up at least looking at what's for sale in those same forums, that small pistol primers are hard to find anywhere. For instance, where folks are offering to trade primers, they usually HAVE large pistol and WANT small pistol. So a trade for the OP may be problematic.

That is my thought. I am not going to be able to trade even across for any other primers unless I get really lucky.

I ran across some RIA double stack 1911s in 10mm reasonably... That might do the trick. I still have a couple great 1911 holsters and found a couple boxes of loaded 10mm, also found a coffee can full of 45ACP.

FarNorth45
12-12-2020, 04:03 AM
Oh man !!!! Everyone should have at minimum a couple 45colt Single Actions !!!! Lol and a 45colt lever gun of his choosing!!! And a 1911 45acp , 45-70 lever, 45-70 sharps and ..... oh sorry i got carried away there didn't I , or did i ? Ha!ha

MrWolf
12-12-2020, 08:49 AM
Well can't go by me. I just bought a Ruger 57 and ammo is unrealistic unless willing to pay at least $1 a round. Figured grab the 20 round one and some speaks before they are considered high capacity. God help this country.

Geezer in NH
12-21-2020, 04:54 PM
I have bought one for way less reason! We have the sickness.

rbuck351
12-23-2020, 02:35 AM
I have bought a gun or two because I had brass or ammo in that caliber so if I had a bunch of primers without a cartridge to load for, it would make sense to me.

memtb
12-23-2020, 11:30 AM
When I first saw this ......I panicked! I thought there was a new primer that I didn’t own! ;) memtb

rockrat
12-23-2020, 11:52 AM
I have bought a gun once, cause I had a set of reloading dies for that caliber, but no gun!!!

richbug
12-23-2020, 03:02 PM
I ended up buying a Rock Island 1911A1. It seems much tighter than the last several Colts I have had, and the price was very nice. Hopefully it gets through these primers with no trouble. It should be a good range companion for when the kids drag out the 1903.