PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here HazMat certified?

dverna
12-07-2020, 09:40 PM
I stopped competitive shooting a few years ago (15-20k /year). I have also sold many calibers that did not meet my long term needs. As a result, i have an excess amount of primers and powder. About 100k primers and 150 lbs of powder.

I considered oFfering a service to accept fired cases and return primed cases but that is considered manufacturing by BATF so that killed that option.

My fall back was to go to a gun show, but living in Michigan, most events have been (or will be) cancelled.

Therefore, I am considering getting certified for HazMat so I can sell this stuff. Is there anyone here who has gone through the process and who would be kind enough to offer guidance. If you do not wish to reply to this thread, please PM me. I will keep all contacts confidential.

Thanks,

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME ABOUT SELLING FTF.
If I decide to do that I will post an add in the S&S forum and follow the forum rules.

Ickisrulz
12-07-2020, 10:05 PM
I would think you could find some buyers locally by adverting on Armslist.

JM7.7x58
12-07-2020, 10:27 PM
I just looked at one of your local/state sites. Plenty of face to face potential. $110.00 per k.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?256-Reloading-Supplies-and-Tools&

Or, less work for you, less personal exposure, just set up a consignment deal with your local gun shop.

JM
JM

gbrown
12-07-2020, 10:30 PM
How about FTF with some close to you? Probably not some would reach out.

dverna
12-08-2020, 10:20 AM
I just looked at one of your local/state sites. Plenty of face to face potential. $110.00 per k.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?256-Reloading-Supplies-and-Tools&

Or, less work for you, less personal exposure, just set up a consignment deal with your local gun shop.

JM
JM

That is great advice!!!! One of many reasons I love this forum.

popper
12-08-2020, 11:47 AM
I tried to give 2 sleeves of new LPP to LGS, they wouldn't take them due to liability but said they would 'pass them on' with the caveat they were NOT sold by the LGS. With your quantity consignment might work. Thought hazmat was just for transport, not selling?

toallmy
12-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Do you need a special license to ship has/mat ? Proper package , label , shipper ......

chambers
12-08-2020, 06:46 PM
PM Send

Markopolo
12-08-2020, 06:56 PM
LOL.... Question was......

Is there anyone here who has gone through the process and who would be kind enough to offer guidance?

i am also wondering what the process is...

bedbugbilly
12-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Who / what agency is it the does the certification? If you are talking about being certified to ship, wouldn't the shipper be able to advise you what you need to do? Sorry - it's early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet so not really clear on what it isn that you need certification for - selling? shipping? etc

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2020, 10:44 AM
Do you need a special license to ship has/mat ? Proper package , label , shipper ......

LOL.... Question was......

Is there anyone here who has gone through the process and who would be kind enough to offer guidance?

i am also wondering what the process is...

I am only responding in this thread, because I suspect there isn't any members that are certified. I am not and I haven't really researched it beyond the understanding that you need to be a actual business with a commercial UPS account. There is likely many requirements, like insurance and employee training.

If I were to guess, I'd say the main reason is UPS (or the Government?) want the best possible guarantee that the party that ships these dangerous items, are responsible and will not become a ghost in the event of something nefarious or negligent happening.
That's my 2¢

farmbif
12-09-2020, 10:57 AM
this was discussed previously, someone posted a link and step by step instructions to be able to ship hazmat and ormd through the company with big brown trucks.
if you go to their website it has detailed instructions and forms to fill out.

Omega
12-09-2020, 10:57 AM
I was certified for the military, it was a full blown class though, 40 hours, and included shipping via air, ground and rail. I don't know what the civilian course would be like though, but I emagine it would be similar, due to the fact that we also used commercial carriers. Of course it has been many years and a few things would have changed by now. I would think that unless you were actually going into business, it would be cost prohibitive, specially considering you may have local buyers that would probably buy all you have and then some.

MT Gianni
12-09-2020, 11:07 AM
I had to have 40 hours instruction after 15+ years in the industry to work natural gas pipeline leaks. The instruction was 24 hours if you did not want to work as an incident scene commander, but I had to get the 40. A local fire department should be able to inform you when and where to go. IIRC, some smaller colleges were offering a certification class. I believe my employer paid $300-$400 for me to certify in the late 90's. You need a re-certification 4 hour class every other year.

farmbif
12-09-2020, 11:13 AM
don't be discouraged, from what I understand its not that difficult, you just have too follow the rules and fill out forms. its just a matter of doing what is required.
with cci 41's going for $200-$250/1000 it might just be well worth the time and effort. the big question in my mind is what are prices on primers and powder going to do after jan 20

MT Gianni
12-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Put an ad in the local nickle want ads. Arrange to meet someone with only what they want in a well lit public place during business hours. You might even get a burner phone just for the calls.

toallmy
12-09-2020, 11:40 AM
UPS web site might have some info ???????
We have a UPS drop off place here in our rural area that is a hardware store , but they also sell ammunition , and one of the employees does firearm transfers . Do you have something like this in your area ?
Never forget and overlook the liability issue though !!!!!!!

Shawlerbrook
12-09-2020, 11:41 AM
You could also try to make some contacts through local gun clubs. Used to belong to one that would arrange truckload purchases of powder/primers to members to save on shipping costs. An active club with a sizable membership probably could move a bunch especially these days of shortages and gouging.

Handloader109
12-10-2020, 12:05 PM
About Classes for hazmat training. See this Fedex link. $150 for a class. BTW, regulations changing end of the year..

At low end prices, 100k primers are approaching $20,000 if you auction on gunbroker. ($200 per K) you can easily get $150 per K.
I'd be taking a class...
http://www.shipsafeshipsmart.com/ProductSubCats.aspx?SubCatID=5

nicholst55
12-11-2020, 12:57 AM
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Go to the source:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/seminar.page

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/responsibilities/training.page