PDA

View Full Version : Browning single shot rifles: Model 78 or High-Wall

pertnear
12-07-2020, 06:49 PM
I'm looking at buying a Browning 1885 High-Wall in .270 cal. Is this Browning model the same as what Browning use to call a Model 78?

TIA

Mk42gunner
12-07-2020, 06:54 PM
Very similar, but there are differences.

Somewhere on the web there is a comparison between these and maybe the original Winchester too.

Robert

pietro
12-07-2020, 09:14 PM
I'm looking at buying a Browning 1885 High-Wall in .270 cal. Is this Browning model the same as what Browning use to call a Model 78?

TIA

Not really

Browning says the M1885 action is an “improved” version of Browning’s B-78 action, but many owners and shooters may disagree.

Several improvements and/or changes were made.

When comparing the receiver’s side-by-side, the two obvious differences are the additional trigger housing retaining pin in the M1885 receiver and the trigger profiles.

When comparing the internal action components, some changes are quite evident and some are less obvious.

Many parts used in the M1885 action are identical to the earlier B-78 action, the differences are the trigger housing, trigger assembly and hammer.

The B-78 trigger assembly is adjustable and much more complicated of the two, with numerous small parts.

The B-78 trigger assembly has 21 components whereas the M1885 has on only 12 components including the receiver retaining pin, a plus for the M1885.

The B-78 hammer can be thumb lowered past the ½ cock step, resulting in the hammer resting against the firing pin.

In normal operation, the M1885 hammer can only be thumb lowered to the ½ cock position.

This was implemented as a safety improvement for the M1885.

The redesign reduced the number of trigger assembly parts and added a hammer sear and a hammer sear spring.

In actual operation the M1885 hammer sear is an inertial sear, making it just about impossible for the hammer to be in a fired position (resting against the firing pin) without intentionally firing the rifle.

The B-78 has nice tapered octagon (or round) barrels except for the .45-70, that has a straight octagon barrel like the 1885 - the 1885 is available with straight octagon barrels only.

The B-78 has no barrel sights, except for the .45-70, and came from the factory with scope mounts

The B-78 and the early B-1885 had no rear tang, making it difficult to mount a tang sight - later B-1885's have a rear tang.

Pay your money and take your choice - having owned/shot/hunted with both models, I prefer the B-78 (YMMMV, of course)

marlinman93
12-08-2020, 01:36 PM
My only complaint with these guns is the lack of top tang for a tang sight. But in modern high pressure cartridges that's no problem as most will get scopes anyway. The Browning BPCR is one of the nicest rifles built, and extremely accurate. They still get almost new prices for them used.

wch
12-08-2020, 04:05 PM

TIA
I owned a Model 78 in 25-06, never could make the durn thing shoot well. Bought a Winchester model 1885 and now I'm a happy man.

koger
12-08-2020, 04:49 PM
I have 2 Brownings, a 1885 45/70 with a 28" tapered octagon barrel, and adj. sights, and a BPCR in .40/82 with a 32" half octagon/round heavy barrel, with filled front dovetail and a tang to put sights on, came with scope mounts. The other two I have is Winchesters, one is the .219 that is pictured on the forum here, and I have a 38/55 with a tapered 28" octagonal barrel, with regular sights, a Marbles/Ideal type and scope bases that all came with it. Every one of them shoots better than I can. If you want to put peep sights on one without a tang, and you plan on keeping it, you can inlet piece of metal stock, epoxy it in or screw it in, the drill and tap for whatever sight you have. I recently put a Pedersoli long range vernier sight on a Buffalo Classic for a guy, I marked the holes on the stock, the drille and screwed in 2 threaded inserts, that have a slot up top, you simply screw them into the holes drilled till snug. then you screw 10/32s slotted heads in thru the Pedersoli sight holes. I got them at a local hardware store and it worked out great for the guy.

Mk42gunner
12-08-2020, 07:12 PM
I remember seeing one B-78 in .25-06 with iron sights and a rifle style butt plate. I think it was the Wyoming Centennial model. Not real sure, it was in a pawn shop in Fernley NV about 2003.

The only reason it didn't go home with me was they wanted way more money for it than this poor sailor had in his pocket.

Robert

rjmelehan
02-01-2021, 03:42 PM
Pietro,

Wow, Thanks for the summary.
You sir are awarded a field doctorate in all things M78 and 1885
THX