PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #2 vs Hardball

doulos
12-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Just a question from a greenhorn about these 2 alloys. Are there really any practical differences between the 2 of these? Any advantages one over the other? Is there casting characteristics differences? I mean does one cast larger on average? They both seem to have about a 15-16 BHN hardness. Why purchase one over the other?

RickinTN
12-07-2020, 06:24 PM
The "Hardball" alloy should be a little less expensive than "Lyman #2" because of the lower tin content. They would be similar hardness. "Hardball" is also easier achieved as it is Linotype cut in half with pure. The #2 would be more malleable if you ever got into a situation to make such a hard alloy expand.
Just random thoughts on your question.
Good Luck,
Rick

USSR
12-07-2020, 07:11 PM
Rick pretty much nailed it. I create my own Lyman #2 and don't buy it, so the added tin content costs me a little bit. However, if I had to buy it, I would no doubt buy the Hardball and save the nearly $3 difference.

Don

stubshaft
12-08-2020, 09:11 PM
The "Hardball" alloy should be a little less expensive than "Lyman #2" because of the lower tin content. They would be similar hardness. "Hardball" is also easier achieved as it is Linotype cut in half with pure. The #2 would be more malleable if you ever got into a situation to make such a hard alloy expand.
Just random thoughts on your question.
Good Luck,
Rick

What he said. I have shot more hardball than any other alloy in both my rifles and pistols.