PDA

View Full Version : Historic shooting forum

Tom Trevor
12-07-2020, 01:22 PM
Have not been able to log in for a couple of days now? Anyone else have trouble? Don?

Lead pot
12-07-2020, 01:54 PM
It has had slow activity for some time. Maybe Bob took it off or redoing it.

Don McDowell
12-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Tom the hosting company has done something with it, been arguing with them since Friday. The list of excuses as to what's going on is endless, and get a different answer from a different tech guy at each inquiry, So hang tuff, it may be a while yet, but it will be back at some point hopefully. I just hope that we can recover most if not all of the information that was there. There would be 30-40 people on at any given time printing threads, so I am hopeful some were finding it a valuable resource.
We did come under a massive spam attack for the last month or so, so had to stop new registrations, so we didn't have to delete 2-300 registrations a day from folks with phony email addy's.

Lead pot
12-07-2020, 02:57 PM
Sounds like the hosting Co. is maybe one of the liberal anti gun groups.
It is a good friendly site without a bunch of Pi...G relays going on with a lot of good info.

Tom Trevor
12-07-2020, 03:23 PM
Thank you, we will just wait it out.

Don McDowell
12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Tom we may be getting closer they said they may have found the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Trevor
12-10-2020, 01:34 PM
Its kinda back today except when you sign in it welcomes you back, Then the site says register or sign in?\ over and over?

Don McDowell
12-10-2020, 02:25 PM
Yeh they buggered it up pretty bad. Hopefully later today or tomorrow we'll have it back. The search for a new hosting outfit is heating up.

hawkenhunter50
12-10-2020, 03:16 PM
What is this historic shooting site you guys are talking about?

Don McDowell
12-10-2020, 07:14 PM
What is this historic shooting site you guys are talking about?
It is/was a small site that dealt mostly with historic use of firearms etc, up to the mid 20th century. Probably one of the best resources for paper patch blackpowder cartridge shooting. Lots about the original 44 cartridges. Some muzzleloader, schuetzen and shotgun, and handgun stuff. Lots of good discussion threads.
Also a good compelation of matches and results from around the country.
Hopefully we can get it back up and functioning, but somehow or nutter when the hosting company moved it to a different server things got severely mucked up , hopefully not lost.

hawkenhunter50
12-10-2020, 08:03 PM
It is/was a small site that dealt mostly with historic use of firearms etc, up to the mid 20th century. Probably one of the best resources for paper patch blackpowder cartridge shooting. Lots about the original 44 cartridges. Some muzzleloader, schuetzen and shotgun, and handgun stuff. Lots of good discussion threads.
Also a good compelation of matches and results from around the country.
Hopefully we can get it back up and functioning, but somehow or nutter when the hosting company moved it to a different server things got severely mucked up , hopefully not lost.

Sounds like a good source of info. Do you have the link to the site? Thanks

Don McDowell
12-10-2020, 09:02 PM
I do have a link to it, but at the moment, there's nothing to see. We were able to get an archived version of the thing up, but not much to see.
historic shooting.com

dave951
12-10-2020, 09:53 PM
I have been wanting to join that forum for a while. Lots of good info there and I’d like to participate.

Don McDowell
12-10-2020, 11:43 PM
hopefully we can get it back up and running, always glad to have folks come join us.

Tom Trevor
12-11-2020, 12:21 AM
looks like its back to normal now. I signed in and it worked. Also normal lay out .

hawkenhunter50
12-11-2020, 12:37 AM
I do have a link to it, but at the moment, there's nothing to see. We were able to get an archived version of the thing up, but not much to see.
historic shooting.com

Great thanks for the site info, checking it out.

Don McDowell
12-11-2020, 01:35 AM
Thanks Tom. Glad it's working for you. I'm still having trouble to get logged in,, but we're still working on it.
Those that signed up will have to wait just a bit to get activated.

Lead pot
12-11-2020, 08:49 AM
I tried several times to log in and cant get it done.

Don McDowell
12-11-2020, 11:04 AM
Kurt don't feel like the lonestranger..

Lead pot
12-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Hi HO Silver :D

dave951
12-11-2020, 08:46 PM
Well I registered but haven’t gotten the approval email to activate the account yet

Don McDowell
12-12-2020, 12:42 AM
I did get in there yesterday and approved you, but haven't been able to get back in since.
It's just a work in progress trying to get the thing back up and running, those basement dwellers at BudgetVm really buggered things up, giving it a new IP....

dave951
12-13-2020, 10:37 AM
I tried to log in but I’m pretty sure I have to follow an Activation Link in an email.

Don McDowell
12-13-2020, 11:13 AM
There's still problems, and sometimes we can access some of the admin stuff, other times we can't even get logged in.
The basement dwellers at the hosting co, really buggered things up..

nuclearcricket
12-15-2020, 06:55 AM
Don, yea it does sound like they really managed to trash the entire site. I tried before coming here and still can not get on. I am thinking maybe its a good time to look around for perhaps another hosting company. One that employs people that perhaps have a bit of a better idea of what they are doing and how to manage a site. I do miss the information shared there and I do hope they are able to get things back up and running again soon and not loose much of what was there.
Sam

ndnchf
12-15-2020, 02:23 PM
FYI, I applied a couple days ago, but heard nothing back. I tried to log in, but it just kicks me back to the main screen.

Don McDowell
12-15-2020, 06:00 PM
Sometimes I can get logged in to the main page, but when I do get that far and try to go into administration then it won't go. Marcus was trying to get in yesterday , but for most of the day he couldn't even get connected to the server. He thinks he has a the bulk of it backed up on his machine, and is working on getting another hosting co. to go to. Just going to take some time. Those basement dwellers sure buggered it up, and of course they deny doing anything other than moving it to a server, and the excuses that keep coming back are many varied and all aggravating...

Lead pot
12-15-2020, 08:15 PM
I get this message and cant get logged in.

You have successfully been logged in.
You will now be taken back to where you came from.
And they did :D

TI think they are anti gun Democrats.

Hamish
12-15-2020, 08:37 PM
Don,

I’ll be honest, after I first registered 11-18-2018, I got busy and forgot the forum was there. Since this thread popped up I have gone and attempted log in. Apparently I can but I have no permissions as it kicks me if I try to post.

Don McDowell
12-15-2020, 09:37 PM
There are no shortages of weird things since they simply moved it to a different server...

dave951
12-16-2020, 09:44 PM
Hopefully this will get resolved. I still can’t log in. I get the “welcome and thanks for logging in” message but it then forwards me to the original login screen as if I didn’t do anything.

Don McDowell
12-17-2020, 12:19 AM
Yup we get that too. Sorta hard to have a forum work that way, but there may be hope on the horizon. Hopefully know something in day or two. My biggest hope is all the good info that's been posted there, doesn't get lost ....

Tom Trevor
01-14-2021, 10:42 PM
Don, Any update? just 404 not found last few days.

Don McDowell
01-14-2021, 11:58 PM
Might have to clear your history and clean you cookies, it is back up, but still have some thing to do to it.