PDA

View Full Version : Swaging dies on the way...

Bad Karma
12-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I ordered the 101355HP dies form C&H4D and I think I placed the order just in the nick of time. They said they've had a 700% increase in orders for them. WOW! Talk about panic buying!

So here's my plan.

I'll use 35 caliber gas checks until I get the hang of it. I'll be casting my cores from a 130gr Lee mould to start out with.

Now to the meaty stuff....has any of you guys used a 32 ACP case or a 30 Carbine case for a jacket? If so how does it perform?

I plan on making 125gr jobbers for my 1911 9mm.

I am going to try some lanolin for lube. Has anyone tried Imperial or RCBS Case Lube 2?
:lovebooli:lovebooli

454PB
12-14-2008, 01:51 AM
The Imperial will work fine. I've used it for swaging, and also the boot waterproofing that is my normal case sizing lube.

MIBULLETS
12-14-2008, 06:31 PM
I have used 30 Carbine cases to make 35 caliber rifle bullets. They make 250 gr open tip bullets at full length. I have not tried triming them any shorter. I have not tried using 32 acp cases though I might have to try them.

One thing to watch though, you need to make sure that the case is small enough to fit into the die easily before you get it stuck. I run mine through a sizer first and your 9 mm is a little smaller, so just check the fit in your core seating die before trying it or size them first.

Dan

dardascastbullets
12-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Stay with pure anhydrous lanolin and you will never have any problems. Use a little dab in the palm of your prestine clean hands and rub them together and that will provide enough lube for a few bullets.

Kragman71
12-14-2008, 09:07 PM
I have used 30 Carbine cases to make 35 caliber rifle bullets. They make 250 gr open tip bullets at full length. I have not tried triming them any shorter. I have not tried using 32 acp cases though I might have to try them.

One thing to watch though, you need to make sure that the case is small enough to fit into the die easily before you get it stuck. I run mine through a sizer first and your 9 mm is a little smaller, so just check the fit in your core seating die before trying it or size them first.

Dan
M1Bullet
I have a huge supply of Carbine brass.
Would you give me a quick rundown on the prep of these cases before inserting into the die?
Could they be used in the 38 Special or 357 Magnum?
Thanks
Frank

Bad Karma
12-15-2008, 12:52 AM
What my plan is is this. I just ordered 2K .35 caliber gas checks. I'll be using those to get into the swing of things. I'll the full length resize the Carbine brass or 32 ACP brass then anneal the entire case.
Now for a another question. Do you leave the primer in the case? I do plan on making my own frangable bullets using the 32 ACP.

Here's where my conflict of interest comes in. I have a Walther PP and a Carbine. So I am going to my best to find Berdan brass to use so I won't deminish my supply of brass that's getting more and more scarce.

MIBULLETS
12-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Kragman71, if the M1 carbine case fits in your core seating die you don't need to do anything but make sure the cases are clean before you use them. If they don't fit loosely you will need to size them first. I use a jacket reducer that I got with my tubing jacket maker, but you could probably use a M1 carbine sizing die from a reloading die set. Most of the cases I get work fine without sizing but every once and I while I get some that are larger. Probably shot in a larger chamber. Leave the primer in them too.

To use them in a 38 or 357 bullet you would need to consistantly trim them to length. I have not do this yet, so if you come up with a way to do it cheaply, let me know.

Dan

MIBULLETS
12-19-2008, 07:55 PM
I forgot, BadKarma mentioned anealing the cases. I do this too, but I am bringing the point of the bullet down more than you would with a standard pistol design. If you trim them down the brass will be quite a bit thicker and may need the anealling process all of the time.