PDA

View Full Version : Smith&Wesson Russian 44

bigbear
12-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Where can I find info about loading this round for original S&W First Model Black powder loads, which powder, how much? What bullet? Where could I find cast bullets for pistol, what mold (molds) should I get? Where to get them? Websites for folks seriously into shooting these old pistols? It's too cold today to go out and shoot as planned so, I'm starting to work on this prihect:coffee:

9.3X62AL
12-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Lyman #429383 is the classic 44 Special 246 grain RN boolit, and it or a design very much like it was used in the 44 Russian originally. I would use 30:1 lead/tin alloy, and enough high-grade 3F blackpowder to get slight compression of the powder charge with the seated boolit, then turn a moderate roll crimp into the boolit's groove. Lube would be SPG or a similar blackpowder-specific substance.

northmn
12-13-2008, 06:57 PM
One of the things about BP in a cartridge is that you really would have problems overloading. As stated use 3f and compress slightly for a load. Any real dangers come from underoading and having a gap between the powder and bullet.

Northmn

mooman76
12-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Some information in a cartridges of the World book.

EDK
12-13-2008, 11:38 PM
HANDLOADER magazine, April 2002, Cartridge Board by Gil Sengel, has some historical data and loads. Send me a PM with your snail mail address and I'll send you a copy of the article.

John Taffin's BOOK OF THE 44 has some additional info, as well as some of the previous books. Mike Venturino's SHOOTING SIXGUNS OF THE OLD WEST is another excellent source. These gentlemen are the premier gun writers of this generation...and I treasure my autographed copies of their books. (Shameless plug for both of them!)

Lars' white label lube or SPG or other specific black powder lube is required. Black powder and most alox blends can make fouling like road tar!

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

mooman76
12-14-2008, 02:25 PM
According to Cartridges of the World it used a 246g Lead bullet. It didn't give the factory powder info but it did have a load for the same bullet with 3.6g bullseye.