PDA

View Full Version : Gun store manners

leadeye
12-05-2020, 07:56 PM
Picking up a Gunbroker purchase at my local LGS and it was busy. The clerk at the register was running my NICS and getting my receipt for the transfer when a new customer comes in the door, walks straight to the clerk and asks to see an in line muzzle loader. He says they don't sell those, customer wants to know if they repair them, clerk says no. Now customer wants to know why a gun store doesn't do repairs, clerk explains that they fix some things, but not others. Now customer wants to know if they sell batteries, clerk says only the small ones that go in electronic sights. Guy stops badgering the clerk and starts coon fingering my 130 year old S&W. Clerk eyes bug out, I take a step forward, very close, I've got a mask on and all he can see are my eyes. He stops for a minute and we have about a 5-6 second staring contest, he then puts the S&W back on the counter and says it's dirty. Leaves.

I wonder at times how people like this go through life without getting some Gus McRea school of bar tending lessons.

pcolapaddler
12-05-2020, 08:03 PM
It takes all kinds. Some days we run across some of the outliers.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Hickok
12-05-2020, 08:35 PM
Some of the newer and younger generation think they are "entitled" to say, do or act any way they want.

When some one gives them a harsh lesson in being mannerly or respectful, they get butt-hurt,...then their bottom-lip starts trembling,:cry:... and they run home to their "safe-room" in mommy's basement.... where they have been living rent free for most of their life!:roll:

Buzz Krumhunger
12-05-2020, 08:38 PM
I have seen a moron pick up a beautiful S&W N Frame that was being left for sale on consignment, and do the TV detective cylinder flip to open it, right in front of the guy who was consigning it. There were 4 or 5 of us watching and there was an assortment of moans, groans, and admonishments uttered by all of us. The guy who owned the gun controlled himself admirably but took his gun back home with him.

The moron left the shop pretty quickly after that.

tankgunner59
12-05-2020, 09:00 PM
I can't say I've ever had an experience like that in a gun shop, but in another store I did and the clerk the new customer to wait his turn. He got mad and walked out, clerk looked at me and said eh, no great loss. Some people have no class at all.

richhodg66
12-05-2020, 09:01 PM
Some of the newer and younger generation think they are "entitled" to say, do or act any way they want.

When some one gives them a harsh lesson in being mannerly or respectful, they get butt-hurt,...then their bottom-lip starts trembling,:cry:... and they run home to their "safe-room" in mommy's basement.... where they have been living rent free for most of their life!:roll:

Not just younger ones, jerks come in all shapes, sizes and ages.

country gent
12-05-2020, 09:19 PM
When I picked up my C Sharps Hepburn (Serial number is RH 3 digit)had one of the shops customers come in while waiting for the back ground check too go thru. come over pick it up and actually opened the action up. I looked at the salesman and the owner both friends and standing there and said, guess I can shoot it now that the actions been worked and cocked. The poor guy got a deer in the headlights look. the owner then showed the serial number and this gun had been being built for me over the last 10 weeks or so. He did apologize and offered to buy a box of ammo for me to make it up asked the owner when the last time he had 45-2.4-550 on the shelf and he laughed and said mid 60s special order. The 3 of us were grinning now and The gent realized that while he had committed a faux pas we were joking with him. I then showed him the dummy round and that the rifle was going to be shot from the day it was ordered.

Ive gotten used to attention with these rifles. A custom build with fancy wood 32-34" barrels, double triggers and ladder sights just draws it.

I once told a guy the front trigger was a spritzer to apply absorbine jr to my shoulder before I fired it. :veryconfu

Markopolo
12-05-2020, 09:22 PM
too much time texting where you are not face to face with folks you are talking too. creates patterns of behavior that are not especially nice.

Winger Ed.
12-05-2020, 09:36 PM
It takes all kinds.

I've often wondered if we are just stuck with some of those 'kinds'.

My buddy the local gun store guy told me of something that happened over and over right after suppressors
became 'more legal' than they had been.

People would come in, look around on the display shelves, and ask where the suppressors were.
He'd try to explain how the system worked.
Then they'd argue that they were legal now, and they wanted to buy one (and walk out like after you buy a candy bar).
---- and several of them actually thought they were going to win that one.

SciFiJim
12-05-2020, 11:36 PM
Then they'd argue that they were legal now, and they wanted to buy one (and walk out like after you buy a candy bar).

That's the way suppressors should be sold, but alas, I doubt I will see the day in my lifetime that it will be that way. (Not a political comment, just wishing for better days.)

samari46
12-06-2020, 01:13 AM
Had just taken a delivery of an older model 10 and the owner of the shop was doing the paperwork. One of the employees opens the cylinder and does the cylinder flip. We just both stare at him. I told him good way mess up the crane or the yoke doing it that way. Better ask permission next time. Frank

skeettx
12-06-2020, 01:39 AM
The proper word is "STOP" that is NOT your gun, it is mine, please put it down, now!

Three44s
12-06-2020, 01:58 AM
A few years ago ago a customer was just ahead of and he spotted a barely used Rem 700 stainless in 7 Rem Mag he fancied. It caught my eye but I just waited to see if the guy in front of me bit or not. The owner of the shop and the prospective buyer went in the back and lifted the action to verify that it was the old style trigger.

After they came out they began chatting about other stuff and left the rifle on the counter. I asked about the verdict on the trigger and they said it was an old school unit. I then asked the guy ahead of me if he was still interested. He wasn’t and welcomed me to have at it.

That was my cue to handle the rifle. I ended taking it home ultimately.

The very first handload series I put together for it runs .460” for three at 100 group after group.

His loss my gain!

Three44s

David2011
12-06-2020, 02:16 AM
Someone asked to borrow my pocketknife and immediately proceeded to attempt to use it as a pry bar. I stopped him and offered a screwdriver. He was terribly offended and declined, saying he wouldn’t want to hurt the screwdriver. I can only imagine how he would have behaved in a gun store.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-06-2020, 10:15 AM
I've told a version of this story many times.
I work one gunshow (local to me) once a year. I've had the same friend and gun stock maker running a table next to my table for 20 years. We have a little "Game", every year we put out one item that is just too irresistible to handle.
...Now I should say, we've noticed it's not just young people with few manners, it's a slice of everybody...including some longtime gun owners/shooters
We started doing this because we noticed many people handling a mint condition S&W N frame I had on the corner of the table, and my friend noticed I was getting agitated by all the people handling it. That's when we came up with the "Game." What we learned is, if we put out one item for the distinct purpose of giving the "handsy" people something to fondle, that they wouldn't fondle anything else, especially after we've start laughing and say, "well that makes 26" (or whatever number it actually was.)

the First year we did this, it was a empty powder jug (a newish one that wouldn't be collectable) with a price of $3. So many people would pick it up and shake it, to see if it was empty or not.

Another year I put out a plastic airsoft pistol that is an amazingly close looking replica of a 1911, with the price of $60 on it. Of course I had it sitting next to a real 1911 priced at $700, LOL.

Scrounge
12-06-2020, 10:26 AM
It takes all kinds. Some days we run across some of the outliers.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I was told, decades ago by and older friend, "Bill, it don't take all kinds, we just got all kinds."

leadeye
12-06-2020, 10:33 AM
My initial reaction to the customer's badgering was to look around the store and outside for something else going on. Thieves use this team approach as a distraction sometimes.

Petrol & Powder
12-06-2020, 10:39 AM
My initial reaction to the customer's badgering was to look around the store and outside for something else going on. Thieves use this team approach as a distraction sometimes.

/\ My thoughts exactly. /\
Over the top behavior is often an intentional distraction technique.

contender1
12-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Etiquette,, or manners to us common folks,, is something NOT taught,, OR learned by many people of all ages & types.

I, like so many above,, have seen bad behavior by folks with valuable items not belonging to them, fondle them incorrectly or w/o permission. And,, I have ALWAYS been of the mind,, that if the item is mine, or I'm looking to buy it, or have any connection to the item,, I WILL stop someone from "finger-fiddling" it.

I'll relate a different story.

My son was about 7-8 years old when I took him to his first gun show. It was a small 200 table show,, and that day,, it took about 4-5 hours for us to walk the aisles & look at stuff. Why???? Because my son wanted to see & handle a lot of new & different guns.
But here's how it went.
He would stop at a table, look things over & if he saw something he wanted to see,,, he (not me) would wait until the seller was available,, then he'd politely ask; "May I pick this gun up please?" If it was a rare or especially minty gun or had anything unique about it,, I would silently watch him. Why? Because he was taught to check the action for a cleared chamber ANYTIME he picked up a gun. When those types were handled, I'd say one word; "Rare" and he would not cycle the action. His Dad had given him the cue to be allowed to NOT check it. Other guns,, he would point the gun in as safe a direction has he could,, and open the gun carefully to check it for a cleared action.
Not one dealer refused him, but several commented on his very polite & perfect handling of their guns.

To this day,, I can open & check a gun, in front of him, and he'll still do the same thing. He's now 39 yrs young. A few years back, I did that,, and someone made a comment about why he checked it after watching me check it. His comment was; "I was taught to always make sure myself a gun was empty before handling it, no matter who handles it before me."
Call me a proud Papa.

Now,, my negative story that sticks out.
A longtime friend of mine & I met one day after I had purchased a rare Ruger SA. it was NIB. Knowing his habits of how he cared for his own firearms,, I watched him as he wanted to see it. He started to cock it & I immediately, with a raised voice said; "Cock it & you own me $1000!" He stopped,, & said "Huh?"
I informed him it was a rare gun & NIB, never cocked & I didn't want ANY handling marks. He kinda got a little huffy but complied. Just about 6-7 weeks ago,, we were all in a bear hunting party,, and he had his own Ruger SA in 45 Colt, (He's had it a long time,) and he picked it up while we were chatting. It was loaded & in the holster,, & he didn't do anything unsafe. BUT,, I saw the condition of the gun & wanted to cringe in horror at the abuse that gun has suffered. To me, it proves the quality of Ruger handguns.

That guy stands out. And BTW,, he's older, a Vietnam Vet, and he HAS been taught differently. But he chooses to ignore stuff a lot.

Buzz Krumhunger
12-06-2020, 10:40 AM
I was told, decades ago by and older friend, "Bill, it don't take all kinds, we just got all kinds."

This is TRUTH

BJK
12-06-2020, 11:14 AM
They're firearms, not toys, and are as personal as someones underwear. What's so hard to understand about that?

I have a very expensive air rifle that was designed for extreme precision shooting. I would love to put it on consignment and keep it local but it's the fear of people who will cock it and "dry fire" it. That is, to fire it with no pellet in it to cushion the piston that comes slamming forward. In the 40+ years I've owned it no one has ever done that and never will. I'll probably sell it on Gunbroker, then if the new owner wants to destroy it it'll be his to do so.

country gent
12-06-2020, 11:37 AM
Gun shows auctions Gun Shops Yard sales and the likes I never handle a firearm before asking first. These items are someone else's not mine. At gun shows this works to my advantage in several ways, 1) I get the table holders attention politely and begin the conversation. 2) He will normally volunteer information abut the item as we chat. 3) it puts hm a little at ease with me. Youd be surprised at some big shows how much walks away off a table.

I feel its the polite thing to do is all.

Most in gun shops looking figure everything there is for sale and open to be fondled ( some are pretty rough and hard). There is a etiquette to this same as at a range. A lot of new shooters know neither. Even some old shooters.

Handling inspecting a firearm depending on value you should think about first wiping hands down to remove moisture oils and dust dirt, removing rings or watches, covering heavy metal belt buckles.Handle by the working surfaces that are meant for it. Wood, bolt knobs, levers, grips. If an oil cloth isnt available ask for one when done. I know my skins oil is acidic and at most shows have a lightly treated soft rag folded up in a zip lock bag in my jacket pocket, just so I can wipe down firearms I may handle afterwards. At some shows with high dollar arms soft cloth gloves arnt out of the question either

nelsonted1
12-06-2020, 11:39 AM
I was flying out of Lexington KY to Minneapolis with a box of guns. The gate agent opens it up, pulls out a scoped ruger Super red hawk and begins aiming it at various parts of the airport. I had a dip tie through the cylinder so could see it was safe but the idea of someone playing with a gun in an airport was appalling. Luckily lex is a small airport and 911 hadn't happened yet.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-06-2020, 01:42 PM
I guess over the years I saw a lot of bad moves with gun handling, and the most common was probably the movie detective one handed cylinder flip from open to closed, or a total disregard of muzzle control. But the one that stands out in my mind the most clearly was just a couple of years ago. I was visiting, and doing business with, an old gun dealer friend, age 80 and now permanently retired. He had two counters in the shop, one basically dedicated to gunsmithing, and the other to sales with the customary long glass display case.

We were chatting at the first location when in walks a couple of fellows, one young and one middle aged. The dealer goes over to help them, and the middle aged fellow asked to see a used 1911 that had some custom work done on it. He proceeds to give the younger guy a lecture about the 1911, displaying his expert knowledge. Since it's becoming an extended lecture the dealer comes back over to my location and we resume our conversation. The next thing you know you hear click, click, rattle, rattle, and the expert has disassembled the 1911 and parts are dropping onto the glass counter top. The dealer became quite incensed and told the expert to never, ever disassemble a firearm in his shop without his permission and supervision. The expert asked if he wanted it reassembled, and was told "No, just leave."

So, following their departure the dealer reassembled the 1911 and put it back in the case. We compared notes about such behavior, and although it wasn't the situation in this case, shady customers have been known to disassemble firearms and swap a part or two with broken or inferior parts from their pocket. This is also something that has happened when an internet auction seller has shipped a firearm to a buyer and then had it shipped back for this or that reason. Sometimes a part has been swapped out on a rare or antique firearm. Just something to think about....

DG

marlin39a
12-06-2020, 02:25 PM
I managed a large gun shop in the mid 90’s. Folks would come in with guns they wanted to sell, and I would meet with them in a corner area, away from the public. It would amaze me when an idiot would intervene, and try to buy the firearms. Then the dope would wait in the parking lot to try the same. A lack of gun shop etiquette for sure.

robg
12-06-2020, 03:11 PM
same working in a motorbike shop ,hated people who just climbed over every thing without asking including customers bikes .words were often exchanged with those idiots<some of the guys whose bikes they attempted to climb on would have decked them>.

Winger Ed.
12-06-2020, 07:56 PM
Sometimes a part has been swapped out on a rare or antique firearm. Just something to think about....

DG

That's an old trick ya see used frequently on Ebay.
Someone would buy something, get it, put their broken one back in the box, and return it wanting a full refund.

TonyR
01-03-2021, 11:32 PM
Picking up a Gunbroker purchase at my local LGS and it was busy. The clerk at the register was running my NICS and getting my receipt for the transfer when a new customer comes in the door, walks straight to the clerk and asks to see an in line muzzle loader. He says they don't sell those, customer wants to know if they repair them, clerk says no. Now customer wants to know why a gun store doesn't do repairs, clerk explains that they fix some things, but not others. Now customer wants to know if they sell batteries, clerk says only the small ones that go in electronic sights. Guy stops badgering the clerk and starts coon fingering my 130 year old S&W. Clerk eyes bug out, I take a step forward, very close, I've got a mask on and all he can see are my eyes. He stops for a minute and we have about a 5-6 second staring contest, he then puts the S&W back on the counter and says it's dirty. Leaves.

I wonder at times how people like this go through life without getting some Gus McRea school of bar tending lessons.

I couldn’t imagine touching someone else’s firearm without asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sniper
01-04-2021, 12:14 AM
Etiquette,, or manners to us common folks,, is something NOT taught,, OR learned by many people of all ages & types.

Absolutely right! I was in a LGS one day, and there was this older gentleman waving a gun around, with the clerk just standing there looking at him. He pointed the gun at me, and I said rather loudly; "SIR! Please don't point that gun at me!" It surprised him, but it accomplished my purpose.

Land Owner
01-04-2021, 06:57 AM
I was waiting to make a purchase, in a line of 6 customers, at the counter of a small LGS. Another customer, in the adjacent room, started a cell phone chat. The LGS Owner immediately picked up a boat horn, the high decibel canned-air type, and split the ears of everyone in the store, just so the owner could get the attention of the cell phone user and tell him that cell phone use was a "no-no" in his shop as (in his opinion) it "would set off the primers". I left, ears ringing, without purchasing anything, and never went back.

JoeJames
01-04-2021, 10:32 AM
They're firearms, not toys, and are as personal as someones underwear. What's so hard to understand about that?

I have a very expensive air rifle that was designed for extreme precision shooting. I would love to put it on consignment and keep it local but it's the fear of people who will cock it and "dry fire" it. That is, to fire it with no pellet in it to cushion the piston that comes slamming forward. In the 40+ years I've owned it no one has ever done that and never will. I'll probably sell it on Gunbroker, then if the new owner wants to destroy it it'll be his to do so.I have known that about air rifles for a very long time. But truly very few know that. One of my buddies who is even older than I am came by the office with a biathlon quality air rifle. Then he commenced to cock it without a pellet in it, and told me to try the trigger. I told him the only way I would do that was if there was a pellet in the chamber and we had a place to fire it. He was kind of surprised, and said he did not know that.

Gator 45/70
01-04-2021, 11:13 AM
Back in the last century,93 I think,My brother and I were in a gunstore in Wasilla AK.
In walks some lady with several firearms looking to place a value on em'
Gun store dude proceeds to give her a lowball estimate of at least 1/3 or less of the true value so he is basically trying to put the sausage to her...literally ....
She wisely declines his generous offer....As she's leaving out my brother goes after her...She has a trunk full of firearms like maybe 15 of assorted calibers...Seems she's having a Goingoutofbusinessheaintpaidchildsupportsell....So
Brother proceeds to inform her that we can make her better deals with cash money and would she give us a call the next day?
She agreed and called us to come by her house at a certain time the following day...
We went...Seems the old boy was a prison guard at the woman's prison up there and had ran off with one of the inmates after she was paroled....Hey stranger things have happened?
At any rate we bought several Smiths from her like a 29 and another one that was chambered in a 22
Probably 5 pew pews total and bunches of ammo in ammo cans...Thinking we spent over 15 bills
We were happy,She had enough to live on for awhile...

JSnover
01-04-2021, 02:27 PM
A friend of mine worked part-time at a gun shop years ago, told me one one day a customer brought a gun in and asked the manager if he wanted to buy it. Manager notices it's loaded, so he unloads and proceeds to 'inspect' by completely disassembling it. Then he wraps the parts neatly in a clean cloth, bullets and all, and hands the whole mess back to the customer. Tells him, "Don't EVER bring a loaded gun in here again.