PDA

View Full Version : A Tumbleweed Christmas needs a Christmas gift 2020

BrassMagnet
12-05-2020, 10:37 AM
A Tumbleweed Christmas needs a Christmas gift 2020

I got this Christmas card from my parents several years ago. I really like it and I saved it. This poor cowboy is working on trimming a tumbleweed to look like a Christmas tree, He even has the paint ready to paint it green.

I suspect there aren't going to be many gifts under his Christmas tree.

I suspect some of our newer members are going to have a Christmas like my cowboy's Christmas.

Some of our newer members need to start casting to afford ammo, but can't afford the basics to cast with. Or to load with!

So here is a little Merry Christmas help for a fairly new member:

To be eligible for this Christmas gift you must have joined CastBoolits between 12/26/2019 and 12/04/2020. In past years I have granted waivers. You can request a waiver with a PM.

It is after Thanksgiving, and as usual I still haven't decided what to give as a gift.

To apply for this post a short post of why you need help with gifts under your Christmas tree. Then send me a PM titled "Christmas gift" with a more detailed description of why you need assistance, what reloading experience and reloading tools you have, and what casting experience and casting tools you have. Include your name, mailing address, and telephone number in the PM, but not in the post.

I will likely have members pledge to help me with this. More are welcome to join in. To join in, please PM me on how you would like to help and please do not post in this thread unless you are eligible for the Christmas gift and requesting the Christmas gift.

I have been called BrassyClause. Last year, BrassyClause had more than 20 Helpers! In previous years, I have been able to use Titan Reloading to help fill my gift bag. I am now retired, so my budget for new items is nonexistant this year. I have really enjoyed all of the assistance my Helpers have provided and I am really looking forward to their enthusiastic and generous assistance this year. Helpers can remain anonymous. Please PM me for details on how I manage this.

BrassMagnet

BrassMagnet
12-05-2020, 11:00 AM
CowboyDan posted these in Tumbleweed Christmas back in 2014. I think you can find that thread on page 21 of the Helping Hands. Please don't post in that old thread and bring it to the front page. That will just confuse people!

'Twas a week before Christmas
and in the reloading room,
not a sound was to be heard
ere the crash and the boom.

I jumped from my seat
and thought, "My homebrew's exploded!"
The floor was dry near the
door, so my fears eroded.

And what I saw there
gave me such a start.
A man dressed in red
with a golden heart.

And all 'round his belt
empty cartridges hung,
so that each time he stepped,
each one of them rung.

Then Brassy Clause said,
"You have been a good boy,
so I and the elves thought,
'Let's get him a new toy.' "

I looked at my bench
and what did I see?
A new Lyman mold
was waiting for me.

But that was not all,
for he opened his pack
and then the gifts
began to stack.

Brass and sizing dies
And goodies to boot
were all laid out by
The man in the red suit.

Then I gave him a homebrew
and as I said "adieu,"
He said "Merry Christmas
e'ryone, from me to you."

Thank You to everyone who made the following pile possible:

trails4u
12-06-2020, 02:39 AM
So happy you got this up, Brass! Recently joined members with wants/needs... ya'll get in here!!

StuBach
12-06-2020, 10:18 AM
Awesome idea Brass, I would love to help with some pistol brass (most common calibers I can spare) so just let me know if I can help.

VariableRecall
12-06-2020, 06:53 PM
I'm a new reloader and a new firearms owner here at the fresh age of 25! Unfortunately, given reloading supplies and ammunition prices during this "Current Global Situation", this has been a rocky start. My endeavors would have been impossible if it weren't for the generosity of these forum users to help get me off the ground. I've done my best to hunt for the products that are in immensely short supply, but, these shortages are just getting out of hand. That includes the immensely sought after pistol primers, Small and Large. I may be off the ground, but I'm going to need more to start moving to familiarize myself with my Smith&Wesson Model 10-5, and my brother's Rock Island Armory 1911 FS.

I have gotten started with my humble setup with a Hand Press, an extra reloading tray donated by a fellow Boolit Buddy, my Lee PPM, and a special guest feature of another user's cast wadcutters with 50/50 lube.
I'm in an apartment, so for Obvious reasons, I can't really cast in there. I'm not nearly as gutsy as Elmer Keith with a cast Iron pan and a remarkably understanding wife. (Don't have either of those haha! I'm unmarried.)
Currently my entire reloading setup fits in two half-sized Rubbermaid Roughneck boxes. I have no dedicated area that I can reload in my apartment with. While it's nice having an entire reloading setup that I can pack in a trunk, it's probably going to be many years before I have a garage of my own for my equipment to call home.

Also, considering the "Global Situation", I won't be able to visit my folks in for the holidays, so the best i can do to meet with my family for the holidays will be online.

BrassMagnet
12-06-2020, 07:49 PM
We have a qualified person!

VariableRecall

This thread is not limited to one! There is room for more in the pool. The water is fine. Jump in!

Evoken
12-07-2020, 07:45 AM

I would like to throw my name in the hat. I have been reloading for about 6 years now, and casting for only a few months. Well as you all know stuff is hard to find. You cannot find hardly any rifle molds new or used. Well to top things off I was recently let go from my employer. Made them millions over the last 11 years, and well thanks for coming out don't let the door hit ya. Of course in these tumultuous times jobs don't grow on trees like they did last year.....
Even if I could find the molds and components I wanted I cannot buy them. All of my extra $ goes towards making sure my own little boolit buddy has a great Christmas and what he needs. This picture was taken in September and he is now walking and getting into EVERYTHING in dad's shop, haha

BrassMagnet
12-07-2020, 09:39 AM
We have two qualified persons!

VariableRecall & Evoken.

This thread is not limited to two! There is room for more in the pool. The water is fine. Jump in!

BrassMagnet
12-10-2020, 01:31 PM
Where have all the Helpers gone?
BrassyClaus is just askin.
Who will do all the packin?
Christmas is not not such a long time to go.

WuFlu came like it was a big to do.
So to our jobs we said Adieu!

Governors so mocking.
Demand we be locking!
Can't celebrate Thanksgiving.
Not if we want to stay living!
Do as I say and not as I do!
Or in jail you will stew.

Used the infection
to steal the election.
Now we worry,
to the courts we hurry!

Christmas picking will be slim,
with some help we can still win!

mattw
12-10-2020, 04:25 PM
Hey Brass, let me know what I can do to help... Have some brass, can make bullets and have some minor extra hardware.

douglasskid
12-10-2020, 04:36 PM
Brass: let me know, I have brass and bullets for 38, 45, 9mm, 308 and 224. All cast and coated.
Ed

Czech_too
12-10-2020, 04:40 PM
PM sent

VariableRecall
12-10-2020, 11:01 PM
I would like to say that I would love to try out more Boolits for .45 ACP or .38 Special! The quantities can be "sample size". under 30 or so is fine by me.

My brother GalvinGround has a very good amount of 200gn SWC's, but I've only got about 250 or so 158gn SWC's left on hand from my first purchase from Hoosier Bullets. While my bro's SWC's have been been accurate and comfortable to use, I'm sure he'd be interested in trying some other boolit types as well!

toot
12-11-2020, 09:51 AM
BRASS MAGNET, I have a box of WINCHESTER of empty fired brass cases, in 38 AUTOMATIC, with 43 cases in it. I would like to give back, to some one who can use it. if it is something that you can use please PM. me your address. best, toot.

tinhorn97062
12-12-2020, 01:23 PM
To those qualified members, it would also be helpful to share what calibers you’re getting into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrassMagnet
12-12-2020, 01:27 PM
CLOSED!

We have two qualified recipients and sixteen helpers this year.
Maybe my poetry helped!

Evoken
12-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Tinhorn and other gentlemen,
To answer your question I have been trying to get into rifle caliber casting. I've got several pistol molds and whatnot already. What I am trying to get into is:
7mm-08
270 win
308 win
30-06
And further my 45-70 casting. My marling guide gun doesn't like the mold I have for it (lee 459-405hb)
Thanks folks!
Ken

Evoken
12-17-2020, 07:39 PM
I received a package from one of you gentlemen today. Not sure who yet, as I have not opened it. In advance, thank you very much folks!
God bless and Merry Christmas,
Ken

Evoken
12-19-2020, 03:30 PM
3 more packages today, they are heavy..
You guys are great! Not sure what's in them yet, but that is part of the excitement!
Merry Christmas!
Ken

VariableRecall
12-19-2020, 05:35 PM
I have received a package from Charles and Alex! I've yet to open them up but I'm fine with waiting till the day!

sigep1764
12-19-2020, 06:33 PM
Boys, don't wait! Open that stuff up!

VariableRecall
12-19-2020, 06:45 PM
Boys, don't wait! Open that stuff up!

Understood! I'll open mine up tonight! the one from Charles is quite heavy so I'm really excited to open it up soon!
Should I send photos of the contents?

BrassMagnet
12-19-2020, 07:00 PM
Understood! I'll open mine up tonight! the one from Charles is quite heavy so I'm really excited to open it up soon!
Should I send photos of the contents?

Please post them!

RKJ
12-19-2020, 08:00 PM
Mine is on the way

VariableRecall
12-20-2020, 02:20 AM
One word of warning: The pill bottles that the boolits were stored in all shattered in transit to varying degrees, leading to a good bit of "boolit pickup" for some of the worse off bottles. Thankfully all of the boolits stayed in the box it shipped it. The labels allowed me to sort them back to where they all should be! Other than the bit of man-handling from the USPS, it's an incredible gift! Thank you very much!
Alex's gift is not pictured, but much appreciated!
I've got to say, those are a wonderful sampling of cast boolits! The blue powder coated ones almost look factory made!

Evoken
12-20-2020, 06:40 AM

What a pile of treasures!!!! Thank you all for the kind words and all of the spoils! This should keep me busy for a minute. Even a little car for my man!!!
Thanks again and god bless!,
Ken

Edit to add: the tool box and pot are not part of the spoils. They are my current casting equipment.

VariableRecall
12-20-2020, 11:12 PM
I have received T/Weed's Christmas Gift, and oh boy! What a haul! Those boxes have come very much in handy with packing in all of my new Boolits into my boxes! Might have to upgrade to three Half-Sized Roughneck Boxes thanks to all of your fine gifts!

I really appreciate it! I'll be stocked up on Boolits for a good year or two thanks to your generosity!

VariableRecall
12-22-2020, 12:23 AM
WOW! Thank you so much Sigep1764! Quite the devious way to get those ever-so-previous primers my way!
I'm going to need to find some sort of Lyman Lubrisizer in order to fit the sizer. The metal piece in the middle is fast-shut inside the sizer, so at least it's not going anywhere. It's an essential piece that I haven't been able to find in any retailer's place and I can't thank you enough for it!

I am VERY excited to have my first boolit mold for .38 Special! I suppose that if you can punch some very speedy holes in paper and very economically as well! I've looked a bit online and it seems like the mold works for 9mm Luger! Certainly it's something that could be very useful for my boolit starved companions in the immediate future!

VariableRecall
12-22-2020, 06:08 AM
I'd also like to extend a thank you to whoever had given us a low-profile IWB holster. There was no indication who it was from, so I'm not entirely sure who it was, but thank you!

As it turns out, It fits GalvinGround's RIA1911FS perfectly. I really like how it has the capacity to work OWB and IWB. It will take some time to work into shape, but I'm excited either way to try it with my own Model 10 for comparison. Certainly it will be a significant difference in profile!

Evoken
12-22-2020, 06:53 AM
I received another box yesterday. Choke full of 3006 brass! Thanks again gentlemen.
Ken

44magLeo
12-23-2020, 05:45 PM
I like how this thing works. I wish I new about it sooner. I have some barss in various calibers and various amounts. )6, 308, 243, 30-30, 223.
Some I picked up, others from friends.
I could have passed these on to others.
Perhaps I'll dig it out and list it in the swappin and sellig section. Maybe swap for stuff I can use.
Leo

Evoken
12-24-2020, 08:40 PM
Just wanted to wish the folks at cast boolits a very Merry Christmas!
God bless,
Ken

VariableRecall
12-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Merry Chirstmas Everyone! You have made this season so special everyone!
Bless every one of you!

BrassMagnet
12-25-2020, 12:33 AM
Ho! Ho! Ho!
You ain't seen nothing yet!
More to come.

StuBach
12-25-2020, 08:25 AM
Ohh boy, what did Santa BrassMagnet do now [emoji1787]

Evoken
12-26-2020, 08:31 PM
I got a box today from one of you esteemed gentlemen! So many more treasure! More brass (which I can now swim in thanks to you guys), some great looking pced boolits for the 45-70 for me to try, as well as some samples of different pc for me to try!
Already ran a batch of 30cal in smoke's orange that turned out great with 2 coats. Also ran some 44's with harbor Freight black, that are not so good, haha. I can see why people like Mr. Smokes powders!

Thanks again gents and god bless,
Ken

Evoken
01-27-2021, 07:59 AM

I received a package from Mr. Brassmagnet! A little 10lb lee dripper pot, 2 bags of Smoke's powder, and a beautiful mold for the 45-70!

Thanks again to all of you gentlemen!
God bless,
Ken