PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a H&r 45/70

Mark74a1
12-04-2020, 11:27 PM
So I was at my local pawn shop the other day and came across a H&R 45/70 handi-rifle It looked older and the guy behind the counter said it was from the 80’s and the were asking $350. I did some looking around and there were a few reports on these things coming open after firing, like the breech lock wasn’t standing up to the load. Anyone here have any experience with these rifles?

sukivel
12-04-2020, 11:32 PM
I have several H&R’s, including a .45-70, and have never had this problem. I love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godzilla
12-04-2020, 11:42 PM
I had that happen with a NEF 223 rifle I bought new. I did not like the rifle for other reasons and sold it off. I heard later it was a screw up at the factory and they recalled them to be fixed. FWIW

gpidaho
12-04-2020, 11:47 PM
Mark: There's a couple of H&R 45-70s One is a 20" barrel the other, I believe it's called the Buffalo Classic has a much longer barrel. If the one you saw at the pawn is not the Buffalo Classic I believe they are asking at least what it's worth in used condition. If it is the Classic I'd grab it. All this said I have the regular 45-70 H&R and it's a lot of fun. Pay what it's worth to you. Gp

JSnover
12-05-2020, 08:39 AM
I have had and used H&R single shots from .410 to 12 gage and the only one I didn't like was the Buffalo Classic in 45-70. Cheap sights, the breech would unlock when firing even with light target loads and while the groups were reasonable, it shot more than a foot to the right at 50 yards, even with the rear sight drifted all the way over.
Having said all that, when they're good they're great and I'm aware that most folks like them but I wouldn't buy one now without firing it first.

Woodbridge 30-30
12-05-2020, 09:12 AM
I sure like my 20" version. It makes a nice compact, light weight unit for long days of still hunting whitetails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Edward
12-05-2020, 09:35 AM
So I was at my local pawn shop the other day and came across a H&R 45/70 handi-rifle It looked older and the guy behind the counter said it was from the 80’s and the were asking $350. I did some looking around and there were a few reports on these things coming open after firing, like the breech lock wasn’t standing up to the load. Anyone here have any experience with these rifles?

I got mine brand new for $225.00 on gunbroker 3 yrs ago and it is my go to for hunting . Locks up every time and sports a 2x7 Leupold and up to 200 yds it has never missed . My loads are NOE 460-350gr-FN PB/GC and PCed or a plain BHN 11 bullet makes no difference the critter dies ,lite in a tree and handi in a blind (I"m a fan) Ed

GhostHawk
12-05-2020, 09:47 AM
Generally speaking actions popping open on recoil are a sign of

A oil or grease on the locking shelf. Make sure it and the shelf on the barrel it engages are clean and dry.

B Incorrect lockup. Barrel is not fit correctly to the gun or the latch is out of adjustment.

Now I have had this happen on me a couple of times. And while it may be a bit scary. By the time that action came open the bullet was long gone. In other words, I'd not be afraid of it for that reason. I've never had one pop soon enough to send a face full of hot gases my way.

Either way it appears to me that you have found a bargain. And now comes the fun part. Figuring out what it likes.

upr45
12-05-2020, 10:56 AM
I bought a 45-70 extra barrel for a 44 mag I bought back around 2000. The extra barrel was a great deal back then. It got me addicted to the 45-70 for a very low cost. The extra cost came when I bought a couple of Marlin 1895's --22" barrel and a 18". Never had action pop open upon firing. The Handi's have a short throat, so it limits oal, but I can live with that as I don't need to take them to top shoulder wrecking velocity. I think you got a reasonable deal in today's market. Enjoy the cartridge!

Conditor22
12-05-2020, 12:56 PM
I like mine, ( liked it better after I put on a padded buttstock)

12-05-2020, 04:02 PM
What GhostHawk said. Dry the shelf and most likely the issue is resolved. In a rare chance the mating of the two locking surfaces don't match, it will only take a few minutes to adjust. The H&R .45-70 is a fabulous rifle.

curiousgeorge
12-05-2020, 04:11 PM
I bought an H&R Handi rifle in 45-70 about 5 yrs ago. It has the plastic forearm and stock with a 22 inch barrel. Put an old 4x Burris scope on it and have never looked back. Short, good weight but not too heavy, and zero problems. Either 300 or 400 grain slugs from 1300 to 1500 fps do the trick. Just plain fun to shoot with lighter loads and still impressive with what the big slugs can do.

Buy it and enjoy it.

John Boy
12-05-2020, 04:28 PM
H&R Buffalo Classic was my first BPCR ... first range test after sighting in with a vernier... 600 yd range, 152 MOA with 500 gr bullet. 5 shots in the 7 ring ... with 3 holes that could be covered by a silver dollar. Two witnesses to the group. Many rounds shot with no issues

Petander
12-05-2020, 06:49 PM
I was going to buy one last year, test shooting it got me half-mooned.

Shooting from bench, the action violently opened up during firing, stock falling from my supporting shoulder so I got the scope in my face.

Sometimes there is a reason for a used gun to be for sale,cheap.

https://i.postimg.cc/Zq7NbV7M/IMG-20190713-210426-360.jpg

Four-Sixty
12-05-2020, 07:51 PM
I 'had' one as well. The throat was so short it was hard to chamber any rounds.

gpidaho
12-05-2020, 08:11 PM
Chambers seemed to be hard to figure out at the H&R factory, some are short and some way too long. I own 5 frames and I think 8 barrels. The 45-70,444 Marlin and the 35 Remington barrels are a bit short in mine the 357 magnum is really a 360 DW and a mile long for 357 the 308 and 223 ultra are about normal. Gp

Hamish
12-05-2020, 08:14 PM
Generally speaking actions popping open on recoil are a sign of

A oil or grease on the locking shelf. Make sure it and the shelf on the barrel it engages are clean and dry.

B Incorrect lockup. Barrel is not fit correctly to the gun or the latch is out of adjustment.

Now I have had this happen on me a couple of times. And while it may be a bit scary. By the time that action came open the bullet was long gone. In other words, I'd not be afraid of it for that reason. I've never had one pop soon enough to send a face full of hot gases my way.

Either way it appears to me that you have found a bargain. And now comes the fun part. Figuring out what it likes.

This is exactly right. Lugs and locking surfaces must be clean and dry! And not that hard to correct with a little common sense and judicious file work.

Walks
12-06-2020, 02:12 AM
I have a New England Firearms SB-2, bought originally as a. 223Rem. Later had .45-70G, .30-30 & 20ga bbl'd fitted to it.
Never had it open up, even when a "friend" fired the blasted cheap wolf crap 5.56 ammo in it.
His Rifle in.45-70G did open up after shooting Buffalo Bore hot loads in it.
But then his idea of cleaning involved copious amounts of WD-40 & a couple of patches.

GhostHawk
12-06-2020, 09:53 AM
Chambers seemed to be hard to figure out at the H&R factory, some are short and some way too long. I own 5 frames and I think 8 barrels. The 45-70,444 Marlin and the 35 Remington barrels are a bit short in mine the 357 magnum is really a 360 DW and a mile long for 357 the 308 and 223 ultra are about normal. Gp

Agree, my .444marlin is perhaps a bit short but only gives me problems with LONG bullets like the 310 clone. And with no neck to worry about I can set them where I need.

.357 my best loads are all loaded in .360dw brass. The rest of the herd does vary a fair amount. But not enough to bother.

Pound cast is your friend, it shows you exactly what you have to deal with. Lets you make a dummy round that is just a thousandth or 2 from kissing the rifling. Yet is not engaged so it comes back out without coming apart.

Close to the rifling ie short jump is generally in my experience more accurate and consistent.

godzilla
12-06-2020, 11:14 AM
With what these guns are bringing now a Henry Rifle looks like a great alternative.I have had a brand new gun from NEF open on firing chambered in .223. I thought they recalled them to repair it but its been so many years I cant be sure. I have never heard the dry lug theory but I do have a 20 gauge that gets a steady diet of sabots and it stays locked wet lug and all.

barnabus
12-09-2020, 01:38 PM
they kick like a two pecker billy goat......just saying

bradley.moss72
12-13-2020, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't worry about the action popping open. If it does it is an easy fix. Most times if it has a scope mounted to it, the scope can be too close to the hammer so it hits that and wont close completely. Oil on the latch does not help if the latch engagement is shallow already. The fitting of the barrel to the action can be the culprit also. Most times just needs to be filed ever so slightly in the correct spot depending on the lockup.

Greybeards Oudoors has a forum specifically for H&R/NEF rifles and shotguns.

http://forums.go2gbo.com/

It is a wealth of information and has stickies at the top that will tell you how to properly fit a barrel and do all sorts of customization and accessorizing.

The Buffalo Classic has a 32" barrel and usually go for just over $400.

The standard 22" version is normally $250 to $300 but probably more now that gun sales are so high. If I were you I'd get it if I liked it! They are great guns for the money and normally very accurate in my experience. (I have several with extra barrels too. I'm a little biased!)

BW

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DanishM1Garand
12-13-2020, 09:59 AM
If this design holds shut for a 12 gauge 3 inch why wouldn’t it hold shut for 45-70?

There may well be a broken H&R out there that has something not right. I can’t imagine that this is common and not repairable.

LoveND
12-16-2020, 11:53 PM
I had a buffalo classic. Yes they do pop open. I did a lot of things to it to make it a good reliable rifle. As is from the factory, no would not want one. I wont go through all the things i did to it but when i got done it was a shooter. Not from the factory. I have a Stevens 44 and a half. With a gain twist barrel out of canada. It drives tacks and is very reliable. Of course it cost a lot more than the h and r. Sold the h and r to a man you really liked what i had done with it. Didn’t loose any money. Don’t miss the h and r. Took a h and r ten gauge and put a Douglas barrel on it and turned it into a really good inline muzzleloader. It’s a 50 cal 1/32 twist. Shoot 405 grain paper patched bullets in it. It’s a reliable tack driver. Never pops open. With 100 or more grains of powder behind the bullet it gets the attention of deer or other game very quickly. I love side locks but that custom inline is a really fun gun. Want to take to a range 60 miles from here this summer and shoot at the 800 yard buffalo. Should have no problem hitting it.

Doog-Meister
12-30-2020, 05:13 PM
Have the Buffalo Classic for about 12 years now. Shoot 400, 450, and 500 gr cast boolits, and have never had the action come open or unlock when firing. Run the 400 gr boolits at @ 1525 fps (chronographed), and the recoil is a bit stiff. Keep the 450 and 500 gr to trap door velocities. All 3 shoot quite well. The sights aren't what you would call match or target sights, but at the price, it's a decent gun. I did have to polish the bore in mine to eliminate the tendency to lead, but since then, it has been a great deal of fun to shoot.

Edward
12-30-2020, 06:39 PM

Usually shooter error crap build up on breech face or failure to snap shut with (vigor) ! Recoil is nothing if you reload ,I kill a pile of deer with 25 grains 2400 under a 460-350gr-FN NOE mold /BHN14 out to 190 yds with a Leopold 4X

richhodg66
12-30-2020, 07:45 PM
they kick like a two pecker billy goat......just saying

If you load it to, it will. Cast bullet site, I thought we were all handloaders and could make things do what we want.

My little H&R .45-70 and a doe I killed with it a couple of years ago. Used 31 grains of 5744 and a 330 grain bullet, one my Dad cast. Doe took about a step and a half and fell over, almost DRT. That load is very mild even for Trapdoor levels. No need to make the .45-70 a fire breather.