PDA

View Full Version : Beeswax Replacement/Source

GregLaROCHE
12-04-2020, 04:00 PM
It seems to me that beeswax is getting harder to find and more expensive every day. I came across this video that suggests using inexpensive toilet gaskets/seals for basic lube or the base for more complex lubes. Has anyone experimented with them? How does it work against leading? Is this too good to be true.

https://youtu.be/xufHIgMr8DU

GregLaROCHE
12-04-2020, 04:09 PM
Since I posted this thread, I searched and toilet rings are nothing new as far as lubes go. What is interesting is that they can be found quite inexpensive and 50% beeswax at Home Depot.

Pipefitter
12-04-2020, 05:35 PM
Toilet wax rings are very inconsistent in make-up and quality from batch to batch, as to 50% beeswax I personally call BS. I wax rings were actually 50% beeswax they would cost far more then what they do now.

MrWolf
12-04-2020, 07:28 PM
Have to agree. Probably still have a spare laying around and I have beeswax to compare to. Not even close.

GregLaROCHE
12-04-2020, 07:39 PM
Toilet wax rings are very inconsistent in make-up and quality from batch to batch, as to 50% beeswax I personally call BS. I wax rings were actually 50% beeswax they would cost far more then what they do now.

What’s the cost of beeswax in China? Maybe they are made there.

imashooter2
12-04-2020, 08:00 PM
What’s the cost of beeswax in China? Maybe they are made there.

I believe that what a Chinese factory calls beeswax has never been within 50 yards of a bee...

Edward
12-04-2020, 11:05 PM
I believe that what a Chinese factory calls beeswax has never been within 50 yards of a bee...

Check with Biden ,he knows

500aquasteve
12-12-2020, 11:13 PM
Check with Biden ,he knows
This biden people talk about will be long forgotten soon

I bet the toilet rings are cut with paraffin

lar45
12-13-2020, 11:04 AM
Toilet rings used to be made with Beeswax, but are not any longer.
You could try to look us a MSDS for them to check rough percentages of ingredients.
I tried making lube from wax rings and didn't have very good luck with it. Some people may have had good luck doing it. It seemed that mine was a little caustic and would irritate the skin if handled too much.

alamogunr
12-13-2020, 11:38 AM
The best use I have found for toilet rings is to melt one into a small can and use it to lube wood screws. My original can is still doing a good job.

Old School Big Bore
12-13-2020, 12:06 PM
We have a small Amish community in our area and they have an apiary there. They sell gallon jars of honey through their little grocery retail outlet building, so I asked whether they had any beeswax for sale. The store guy gave me a blank look and sent his helper to find the beekeeper. When he showed up he looked at me suspiciously and asked what I wanted beeswax for. Not being one to lie to an Elder who also happens to be a pacifist, I replied, "Crafts." That satisfied him. If he had pursued his interrogation I would have told him that I wax linen thread for sewing leather, which would not have been a lie, either...he sold me a big honkin skillet-shaped chunk of scorched-lookin' wax at a very reasonable price. I used a good bit of it making a batch of lube, then discovered it's better than a certain commercial product for fluxing alloy, especially when adding pewter to wheelweight. I'm down to about a cup of 1/4" cubes so it's time to visit Die Freunde with my best Cherman aggzent again.
Ed <><

Froogal
12-13-2020, 12:21 PM
I tried the toilet rings for pan lubing. I was not impressed, but then the whole pan-lubing thing was an exercise in futility.

Budzilla 19
12-13-2020, 04:41 PM
I generally hit up my local beekeeper guys, it helps them, I offer $5 a pound, I get some local beeswax, he gets a helping hand! The first bit I got was from RandyRat on VS section, but it’s about gone now. Just my .02

John Boy
12-13-2020, 11:10 PM
Use soy wax or bay berry wax or Berts Bees in the lube instead of bees wax
One more, as a read ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcrystalline_wax

bangerjim
12-14-2020, 02:31 PM
Randyrat on here used to sell beeswax.

1Hawkeye
12-14-2020, 03:10 PM
I had a duce of a time finding beeswax. All the bee farms in my area wanted crazy money for wax ie 8 to 12 bucks for a 4oz bar. Then my wife found beeswax in the candle making department at hobby lobby at 9 bucks a pound. If you've got a hobby lobby near you it might be worth checking.

bangerjim
12-14-2020, 03:39 PM
Also I believe traditional Hanukkah candles are made from 100% beeswax. Watch for close-outs after the holiday. BE careful.....there are paraffin and vegetable wax ones available also!

I was fortunate to by 35# of the stuff back "in the day" from a local bee keeper back in MI for 50˘ a pound!

trapper9260
12-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Use soy wax or bay berry wax or Berts Bees in the lube instead of bees wax
One more, as a read ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcrystalline_wax

John I have not hear anyone say about bay berry wax for some years , years ago did pick some for the berries to get the wax just to see about doing it . It have a nice smell to them also.

JoeJames
12-14-2020, 04:58 PM
It seems to me that beeswax is getting harder to find and more expensive every day. I came across this video that suggests using inexpensive toilet gaskets/seals for basic lube or the base for more complex lubes. Has anyone experimented with them? How does it work against leading? Is this too good to be true.

https://youtu.be/xufHIgMr8DUI saw the same video this weekend. Many years ago I used cheap toilet rings for the dead on my wood lathe, but now it appears the general consensus on here is they are no longer made with beeswax. The rings he touted were from Home Depot, and they did kind of look like beeswax. I will try the local Hobby Lobby, and see what they have in the candle making dept.

Hamish
12-15-2020, 12:33 AM
The best use I have found for toilet rings is to melt one into a small can and use it to lube wood screws. My original can is still doing a good job.

Best answer bar none. Toilet rings are made from petroleum slack waxes and various other “stuff”. They may have been made of “the wax of the gods” at one time, but,,,,,,.

Years ago during the Lube Wars, Toilet rings were discussed pretty extensively. The consensus seemed to be that, like crayons and most every other possible substitute, can be made to work up to about 1.2-1.3K fps with proper fit. What the hey, toilet ring and a candle or two with crayons for color and to reduce the tack factor and you’ve got pistol lube.

The only good substitute that I know of is micro wax, if you’re making +2k lube.

leadhead
12-15-2020, 10:48 AM
I've used toilet rings for lube for 35 years with no problems. I've shot 100's of handgun
silhouette matches pushing a RCBS 165 gr bullet a 2000 fps from my 308x1/5 with no leading.
I'm older now and have been buying some commercial lube now, but I've used the toilet
bowl rings for all my cast bullet shooting both handgun and rifle with wonderful results.
leadhead

John Boy
12-15-2020, 11:51 AM
trapper, bayberry lube was Harry Pope’s favorite lube. I made about 5 sticks of it and is under the work bench. Favorite is mutton tallow blend for smokeless and black powder

Hamish
12-15-2020, 02:01 PM
I've used toilet rings for lube for 35 years with no problems. I've shot 100's of handgun
silhouette matches pushing a RCBS 165 gr bullet a 2000 fps from my 308x1/5 with no leading.
I'm older now and have been buying some commercial lube now, but I've used the toilet
bowl rings for all my cast bullet shooting both handgun and rifle with wonderful results.
leadhead

Real world experience trumps discussion every time! Just for clarity, same brand the whole time or various?

leadhead
12-15-2020, 05:49 PM
I think they were different brands.... I remember going to a Big Lots years ago and they had the toilet bowl
rings for .25 cents each, and I bought all they had. I made molds to make hollow sticks for my RCBS II
lubber and of course had my "secret" add-ins to put in. Man, I don't know how many sticks I made, but it
was a bunch. I also made it for a few buddy's I had....... Good times.
leadhead

cas
12-15-2020, 06:30 PM
It seems to me that beeswax is getting harder to find and

Bees are getting harder to find.

Petrol & Powder
12-15-2020, 06:53 PM
It would seem to me that as long as the bullet lube accomplishes the job, it doesn't really matter what it is made of.
Beeswax may be a holdover from the past. It was readily available, worked well and was inexpensive. When those qualities are no longer present, it's time to find a substitute. As much as I like using what is proven to work, when that item become too expensive or too difficult to locate, it's time to move on.

lightman
12-15-2020, 07:48 PM
Kind of getting away from the topic but a shooting and hunting buddy gave me a block of what he called ordnance grade beeswax a while ago. It was about 2 inches thick and maybe 12X16 inches and was much darker than the stuff that I have seen for sale. There were bee parts mixed through it. Come to find out that it was used to seal bombs with at the end of the 1800's and into the 1900's. Its original use did not require the purity that we see in the commercial available stuff that we see now. It makes good smelling smoke when I flux with it!

bangerjim
12-15-2020, 09:56 PM
I have a couple of 4x4x2" old square of beeswax. What a delicious smell when melted. Smells good enough to eat! Darker, not pure like today, but still good stuff. By purifying the carp out of modern stuff, they take all the good smells away.

samari46
12-20-2020, 01:21 AM
Bunch of years back there was a gent in Henderson,Nevada that had a trailer load of old beeswax. Had this big box show up at the house. Aad he said he put some extra in it. Did he ever!. gave some to my daughter who was making soaps at the time and scented candles. Gave some away and what I have is a chunk about 14"x18" and I use a smaller piece to double wax twine for rope splices. Frank

GregLaROCHE
12-21-2020, 07:53 AM
Here is a continuation of the video where lube is made and boolits are pan lubed. As I commented, the interesting part will be how the boolits shoot and how well the lube protects barrels from leading.

https://youtu.be/H8ZOYqkwgxo

Nanook
12-29-2020, 11:30 PM
I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday. They have beeswax both white and yellow, for $10.50 per pound. They also have paraffin wax 4 pounds for $15.99.

This is in northern IL outside Chicago.

jonp
01-03-2021, 07:45 AM
One more thing I hadn't realized was getting hard to find. I got a big box from Randy a couple of years ago. Used it for lube, wife made some candles out of it and I also made some nice wood finish. Still have half a LFRB of it. Guess I'll melt the candles and save it.

Ohio Rusty
01-03-2021, 01:05 PM
What about soy wax that are used for candles ?? it is an all natural product and it is cheaper than beeswax I believe. I've used toilet ring wax as an additive. I find it is really sticky, so I used it only in a small amount.
Ohio Rusty ><>