PDA

View Full Version : New Guy - Aquiring equipment now

Cast10
12-04-2020, 10:31 AM
New to casting and will PC. boolits for my 10mm, to start with. Got about all my casting equipment in-house and now working on some PC items. My plan is to start melting/casting lead boolits first and get a rhythm established, with good resulting boolits. Then move on to PC. I’ve read here that it’s best to PC right after casting. Your thoughts on this, if I cast a bunch and pc later. Trying to figure all this out and appreciate all the wealth of knowledge here! Thanks for having me!

JM7.7x58
12-04-2020, 10:56 AM
The cleaner the bullet, the less likely you will have problems with the PC adhering. Clean your hands well, or use disposable gloves when handing freshly cast bullets, and store your bullets in clean containers.

There are people who have even PC’d bullets that had been commercially lubed. If I recall correctly the bullets were boiled, then soaked in solvent, before being dried, and then PC’d.

It’s all about being clean. No oil or grease.

JM

shell70634
12-04-2020, 11:00 AM
I've pc'd 2 year old boolits that were stored in plastic bags and fresh from casting. Didn't notice a difference, but I wasn't looking for one.
What part of the Republic are you in?

Shelly

popper
12-04-2020, 11:24 AM
Size shortly after casting for the 10mm, you probably will use a harder alloy. Do not WD from the mould. Keep in a clean jug with a top. PC at your leisure, then size again - might need some LLA for sizing lube. WD from the oven if you need a harder bullet. Wait 2 wks before shooting. Get Smoke's powder (not black), shake and bake when the RH is low.
If around DFW I can show you.

Cast10
12-04-2020, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys, good stuff! I’m in Central Texas between Aus Hou area.

JM7.7x58
12-04-2020, 11:42 AM
Size shortly after casting for the 10mm, you probably will use a harder alloy. Do not WD from the mould. Keep in a clean jug with a top. PC at your leisure, then size again - might need some LLA for sizing lube. WD from the oven if you need a harder bullet. Wait 2 wks before shooting. Get Smoke's powder (not black), shake and bake when the RH is low.
If around DFW I can show you.

^^^^^^^^^^Yes This!^^^^^^^
I sized some Lyman #2 months after casting and it was hard.
JM

charlie b
12-04-2020, 03:44 PM
I usually lube bullets when sizing (case lube, not bullet lube). After sizing I rinse in Acetone to get all that stuff off before coating.

DHDeal
12-04-2020, 04:12 PM
Everyone does things slightly different. I never size before coating as I'm not doing it twice when I don't have to. But that's me.

Usually I'll PC the same day, but occasionally time is not on my side and I'll PC a few days later. Typically I size as I need the bullets because it's easier for me and I have multiple revolvers for each diameter mold. Gets confusing having 2 different sized diameters of the same bullet around. It only takes minutes to spray some PC'd bullets with OneShot and run them through the specific Lee sizer.

If you're using a hard alloy you will like spraying a small amount of OneShot (or other spray case lube) on the bullets. It has no effect to the bullets other than making them slide through the die.

RogerDat
12-04-2020, 04:23 PM
I size and apply gas checks to bullets when I get around to it, often well after casting. Bullet storage is generally zip lock baggies in 30 caliber ammo cans.
In order to size and seat gas check I have to use a bit of Lee case lube every few bullets, I wash the sized bullets with a drop of dish soap and rinse off with boiling hot water, really hot tap water would work I expect. I have no issues with PC adhesion.

As long as they are clean of oils, grease, soap, etc. and dry I think the PC has no problem bonding. Oh I use a blow dryer to dry the bullets, don't recommend borrowing the wife's seems like they don't see that as a proper use. Bought one at Salvation Army but want to replace it with a cheap new one, maybe from one of the Christmas sales.

I should mention I'm doing shake and bake rather than gun to apply the PC

Petander
12-04-2020, 04:24 PM
Depending on your mold, you may not need to size at all after PC.

It may measure large but load and shoot first.

Other than that, buy good equipment to begin with. I bought most of mine three times and regret wasted years with mediocre molds.

Gunslinger1911
12-04-2020, 06:44 PM
Welcome here Cast10 Best "second" family ever !
I have coated boolets a month or two after casting (I cast pretty much with wheel weights BTW).
Don't see the need to size twice (I'd have to have that explained to me).
Might depend on how big the mould casts ?
Get a Lee APP if you can - the BOMB for sizing PC !

You are on the right track, ask questions of these folks, a wealth of info for the asking !
Smokes powder is the best I've found BTW - not much into colors, the clear coats great and looks traditional.

And just 'cause I'm noisy, what 10mm do you have ?
I run a 1911, Smith 610 and building an AR 10mm now.
Casting with a MP 180/200g HP/solid mould.

Cast10
12-04-2020, 09:46 PM
I have a Glock G20 stock, and a MechTech carbine upper for it. I use the carbine with night vision for Texas oinkers. Both eat a bunch of boolits!

Taterhead
12-05-2020, 01:53 AM
I run a lot of 10mm PC cast bullets. It is not critical to PC soon after casting, but keep them clean. I do think it is a good idea to size soon after coating, however. As stated above the bullets will take on some hardness after a couple weeks post coating and sizing.

If I want to strengthen the alloy for max velocity, sized and coated bullets will go back in the oven for an hour and then quenched.

My 10mm and 40 S&W share bullets and all are shot in stock Glock barrels.

Here is a tip. For the 10mm, an RCBS expander retrofitted with an RCBS "401 Cowboy" M expander assembly is perfect width and length for 10mm cast. Get it from RCBS directly.

popper
12-05-2020, 11:58 AM
The alloy with more Sb will tend to grow over time so I size (for 308W) before and after coating. Else by the time I PC they will be harder to size. Alloy for 40 & 9mm is softer so only size once (lite target loads).
Unlike HiTek, PC still sticks after bare sizing. OneShot works, I just toss into baggie and spray, roll around (easiest way to use OneShot). Most any case/bullet lube WITHOUT solvent will work.

DHDeal
12-05-2020, 01:39 PM
Popper makes another good point about harder alloys with antimony. They get fatter. Being a touch OCD, I have Lee sizers for specific diameters as I want the bullets to be "that size". Sizing PC'd bullets from an alloy with antimony and having them sit in boxes for a year or so they can be measurably larger. A FA83 in 44 Magnum I own will only take a bullet .430" and if those bullets grow they'll need to be pushed into the chambers. It still shoots as expected but I prefer to have them drop in. As I stated above, OCD. Hey, my time is my own and I like to tinker. It's probably why I enjoy the PC process.

Cast10
12-05-2020, 01:48 PM
All good info, thanks! I”m taking notes!
BTW, My first try will be with Lyman #2.