PDA

View Full Version : Video Recording

BudRow
12-03-2020, 10:13 PM
I want to make video documenting some of my guns. My sister is the executor of my will and I want her to know about certain characteristics that give value and information on each piece. These guys who make Youtube videos - what kind of recording equipment do they use? I have a good digital camera with movie function. Do I buy a high capacity card and use it? A GoPro? Thanks

Winger Ed.
12-03-2020, 10:15 PM
The camera should work, but there are more simple ways to do that now.
You can set a youtube channel up to be private, and upload videos to it from a smart phone.

Or, make a video on a phone & send it, or use the camera-
then getting it from the camera into and back out of your computer, and send it to her as, or like a email.
Also, you can upload videos to youtube from your computer too.

Probably the fastest & easiest way would be get a teenager to do it.
All this is a big part of their generation more so than ours.:bigsmyl2:

MrHarmless
12-04-2020, 12:19 PM
Modern phones can record at 1920 x 1080 at a minimum, and can actually do a really nice job. If you have a dedicated camera, that might work better depending on it's make and model. Compared to a lot of older mid range cameras, new phones tend to be better. Definitely use a tripod, focus on using static shots to show what you need. Hand held footage without a steady-cam rarely works.

Write yourself a script and edit it at least once. Practice it out loud, it becomes very obvious if your writing voice is not your speaking voice.

Transferring files between a camera or phone and computer can take a long time, so be prepared for that.

I like using HitFilm Express to edit video. It's free, and it is relatively simple to use. There are also a plethora of tutorials on YouTube to cover your basic needs.