PDA

View Full Version : lever action trigger lock

jballs918
12-28-2005, 07:33 PM
well all i was wondering if anyone know where to find one of these, they seem to be a bit hard to find. any info would be great

versifier
12-29-2005, 11:33 PM
OK, I'll bite. If this isn't a tongue-in-cheek post, (and reading it I'm still not sure, I was going to just fire off a wiseass answer, but it occurred to me that you might be serious and simply hadn't thought it through) I can't think of a lever action with a fixed trigger guard that would allow you to fit one. Working the lever would leave the trigger exposed and you could slip the lock out of the open top. :shock: You could I suppose slip a cable lock through the loading port and up through with the bolt retracted, or through the mag well on a Win88, BLR, or Ruger. Locks just weren't a design criterion back when lever actions were thought up.
(If it is a humorous post, then I would have to give my wiseass answer anyway - they're in the same aisle as the left handed screwdrivers, just past the "Bucket of Volts" display. :-D )

StarMetal
12-30-2005, 12:50 AM
A lock with a long enough hasp that would go through the lever and up around the grip too would prevent it from cycling.

Joe

jballs918
12-30-2005, 01:08 AM
versifier,

this was a serious question. i just got a model 64 winchester. the only thing about trying to find a long enough lock is that i need to find something padded or coated as i dont want to ding up my gun from it. well i guess i will keep looking around but thanks for the info guys.

StarMetal
12-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Go to the hardware store and buy some plastic tubing, that clear kind that comes in alot of diameters, put it around the lock hasp.

Joe

KS1911
12-30-2005, 01:45 AM
versifier,

this was a serious question. i just got a model 64 winchester. the only thing about trying to find a long enough lock is that i need to find something padded or coated as i dont want to ding up my gun from it. well i guess i will keep looking around but thanks for the info guys.

You need a cable lock for guns. Some places to look:
1. Any gun shop
2. Check with the local Police Dept. they sometimes give out free ones
3. Wal-mart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2684874
4. Buy a new Ruger revolver (they come with one) ;-)

Four Fingers of Death
12-30-2005, 08:00 AM
The cops here are security mad nowadays. The next state, where I shoot occasionally, has a rule that guns must be in a metal box which ancored to the car or have a nylon coated steel cable (believe it or not they actually specify nylon coated) which is placed through the action and ancored to the vehicle. I thought about it and feel that I may as well comply with the toughest laws and I won't get into trouble crossing state lines.

After a lot of experimentation I have come up with a cable with a large loop at each end and I have a couple which are about a metre and a half (sorry, I forgot, you guys can't do metric, read about 6 feet). This one goes from the rear seat anchor points and is looped back through itself so it doesn't need a lock. I have two of these, one in the 4wd wagon, which is routed into the rear luggage compartment and one in the Camry which is routed into the boot / trunk. These are left in place all the time and have a couple of padlocks fitted to the loop ready for use.

I then have several for actually securing the guns, These have the big loops at one end and a smaller loop at the other end. I feed the large loop through the lever, over the top of the action and back through the loop and out the rear of the gunbag. With bolt guns, I place the large loop through the rear reciever ring (where the bolt normally goes for you lever only guys), again loop it back through itself and out the back of the gun bag.

If I have three rifles trussed like this, I will have three 'tails' sticking out of the gunbags. I run a lock through these smaller loops and through the loop on the long cable which is permanently attached to the rear seat anchor.

I also anchor my ammo box to this cable.

I went to a boating shop for these cables. I have one who only charges for the bits and you make them yourself and settle up on the way out. Great system.

PITA, but you ain't gonna steal my guns without a lot of effort.

Last of all, go to the locksmith and buy a good quality lock with a hardened staple which can't be cut with boltcutters. Also with the better quality locks, you get smaller key runs and less likelhood of them being comprimised. Don't skimp here, or the rest will be useless. I actually have about six or seven high quality locks which are keyed alike by the locksmith and I use them for all gun related stuff. I have another series of locks for other things which the family have keys to, but the gun locks are controlled by me. Think about where you store your spare key. Keep it at the locksmith, or in you most secure storage, i.e, pistol safe. You can even have the smith stamp 'do not copy, billy bloggs.' if you are really keen. A reputable locksmith will not copy these without id then.

What me paranoid? No, I’m a tactician by trade and I try and cover all the angles and consequently cover all of the outcomes.

When the holidays are over, I will take a few photos and post them, I’m a bit busy at the moment.

Mick.

StarMetal
12-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Hell Mick, you might as bloodly well have a used Abrams tank, minus the cannon of course.

Joe

waksupi
12-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Mick, what are you guys doing to fight this? It would be good to know. I suspect this country, with a history of revolution may be different, although we have seen several states already roll over to such oppression as you have.

Scrounger
12-30-2005, 10:10 AM
well all i was wondering if anyone know where to find one of these, they seem to be a bit hard to find. any info would be great

Check these:
http://froogle.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=41854357

http://www.gunlockinfo.com/Pages/Gun%20Locks,%20TRIGGER%20Gun%20Locks,%20Trigger%20 Gun%20Locks%20ACCESSORIES,%20LEVER%20ACTION%20BRAC KETS.htm

http://www.theclub.com/hardware/trigger.html

http://www.triggerlock.com/gunlock_styles.htm

If I remember correctly, you are near Las Vegas so I'm wondering why you need such a lock. I live in this area too and I'm not aware of any law requiring it here. I used to live in California and they did require it. I may have a lever lock laying around here somewhere. If so, I'll try to get a picture that makes sense of it and post it.

imashooter2
12-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Marlin ships a cable lock with their rifles. It has a coated cable that slides through a plastic disk, then through the barrel from the chamber end and into a coated lock. I'm sure they are available from the factory at nominal cost.

Marlin Firearms
PO Box 248
North Haven CT 06473-0905
(800) 544-8892

I'll bet Winchester has one too...

MT Gianni
12-30-2005, 04:02 PM
If it really needs to be locked from kids, or whoever the best solution is leave the chamber empty and lock the lever. Gianni.

KCSO
12-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Project Child Safe is distributing cable gun locks free around the country. I have 5000 to give away in my county. If you write they wil send you one or send you to the closest dist. point. hen follow the instructions cable through lever and around stock. I'd send yo one but shipping is more than the lock.

jballs918
12-30-2005, 08:15 PM
well thanks all for the great info, the reason whhy i need one is becuase of my wife lol. i have 2 young kids and i have no problem using gun locks becuase it helps to teach them proper gun safety and respect. KCSO how do i see about getting some of those cable locks from you i still need 2 more for my other rifles i have not locked up yet. and agian thanks guys

KCSO
12-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Anyone who wants a box full and are willing to wait till I have time to ship. You pay the 7.70 postage and I ill send you a box full. Full flat rate boxes only.

jballs918
12-30-2005, 09:20 PM
ok sounds like a deal. i will send you a pm about it.

Four Fingers of Death
12-31-2005, 08:26 PM
We have actually elected a senator, the party is the Shooters Party and they are trying like mad tochange things, as are a lot of other bodies. We don't have the advantage of the constitutional structure that you guys have and we also have a different parliment system. The two main parties vote with their party, not as they want, so when something as difficult as the gun law reforms came as a follow on to the massacres, they called a non partisan vote which meant that the changes went through virtually unopposed, and got the pressure off them which they were recieving from the bulk of the population, who don't own guns. In the states as soon as you mention gun laws, you drag out the second amendment, imagine how you would go without this.

I err on the safe side with safe storage, as I don't want some cop or burecrat, taking m shooting rights away from me.