PDA

View Full Version : Getting close - Slow movement on equipment

Cast10
12-02-2020, 10:33 PM
Been lurking and collecting tools to get started. Now, interrupted by Hunting Season! My plan is to continue to read from my ranch cabin and come January, cast my first boolits. I have really tried hard NOT to ask questions, but rather search out what I can. There is a ton of good data and I’m sure I look like a ‘deer in headlights’ to my wife sometimes! Ha. First casts will be 10mm using Lee 6 cavity 175gr TC. Then will PC them. But, I feel I need to first practice and develop my skills on melting, casting, sizing first. After I get ‘decent’ at that, I can try PC. Been buying equipment, but sometimes was hard to find. Things gotten a bit better and I’ve made good progress. Anyway, just wait for my dumb questions!

Reloaded for over 40 years. Pistol, rifle. Hunt. Fish. Raised two kids, along with help from the wife. Texas born and bred.

chambers
12-02-2020, 10:37 PM
Welcome, there is a lot of information here. Everyone has to start out so don't be afraid to ask as someone has been there and done that!

Winger Ed.
12-02-2020, 10:49 PM
You're on the right path.

Be sure to always wear protective clothes and the good safety glasses.
When the tinsel fairy visits and tries to redecorate your ceiling---- that stuff is hot!

StuBach
12-02-2020, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the addiction. Glad you’ve joined us.

country gent
12-02-2020, 11:00 PM
Welcome, The only stupid question is the one you dont ask. There is a lot of knowledge here all you need to to is bring the container for it. I will also second the protective gear and to be safe. Build your casting stand and tools heavy there s a lot of heat and weight.

Buy a note book and keep detailed notes on what works what didnt for you. This will become a reference when you do have troubles

cwtebay
12-03-2020, 12:38 AM
Welcome! The folks on here are amazing! Not even close to qualified to answer any questions - but I sure do enjoy reading them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Three44s
12-03-2020, 01:37 AM
Good on you!

I have grown very fond of powder coating even though I am relatively new to that process. But for just starting out, a bottle of Lee liquid alox and a bit of mineral spirits to thin it out works great at moderate handgun velocities.

With cast boolits it is ever more important to inside debur your case mouths. I like the new Very Low Drag tools. The belling of the case mouth is more critical as well. Both of these actions are important to eliminate lead shaving while seating.

Three44s

rototerrier
12-03-2020, 05:37 AM
Like all things, you'll figure it out soon enough and then it'll be like work as you crank out tons of boolits. You'll spend all your waking hours feeding the addiction at the detriment of your wife, family and other obligations. Before long, your dog will die, wife and kids move out and you are left all alone to finally cast in peace and quiet. You live out the remainder of your days lonely, but protected from radiation by the lead stacked so high and deep that they are cracking your basement floor.

rancher1913
12-03-2020, 07:41 AM
My plan is to continue to read from my ranch cabin and come January, cast my first boolits. I have really tried hard NOT to ask questions, but rather search out what I can. There is a ton of good data and I’m sure I look like a ‘deer in headlights’ to my wife sometimes! Ha.

this right here is why you will be successful, you are able to search and learn, not just ask the same questions that have been answered a million times.

Wayne Smith
12-03-2020, 08:14 AM
However much you think you know it all comes more clear when you have actually melted and poured lead. It is truly all theory until then - and then you will find out what your real questions are.

GhostHawk
12-03-2020, 09:08 AM
Your on the right path far as I can see, just keep reading and working your way down that path.

Keep in mind "Fast Powders to go slow, ie Red Dot, Unique, etc. Slow powders to go fast. 4895, 3031, 4350 etc.

smithnframe
12-03-2020, 09:22 AM
I’m in Shiner.......PM if you need help with anything!

Cast10
12-03-2020, 11:34 AM
Thanks to all guys! Got my eye protection, boots, welding gloves, and leather apron. Surely will be getting back, asking questions, and hopefully contributing. I can’t wait! I learned a long time ago, experience is second to none and you learn by listening!

OS OK
12-03-2020, 11:57 AM
hahaaa...this ought'a be a good thread to watch when you get going. I think we all relive our first attempts in casting and like to watch folks like yourself getting started too.
There's a wonderful feeling in knowing that you can make your own fodder.

chutesnreloads
12-03-2020, 12:12 PM
I will 2nd an earlier post. Because you've chosen to read and inform yourself before just jumping in, I'm confident you will find success.
There just is no substitute for the knowledge base you gain from spending the time educating yourself.
Good luck and good hunting

gwpercle
12-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Don't fall into the " I must Over Think It to cast a Good Boolit" trap .
Keep it simple at first . An iron pot on the stove burner , COWW and scrap lead, a 2 cavity mould and a Lyman casting ladle is all you need to get started . I tried all the bottom pour pots and went back to the ladle .
Do get a large capacity pot , like the Lee Magnum Melter , that holds 20 pounds ...smaller pots just slow you down. Flux with beeswax and pencil sharpener shavings . Wear shoes and socks when casting , keep an Aloe Vera plant around ... the gel from a leaf is great for minor burn.
Avoid the Tinsel Fairy.
Welcome to the Addiction
It ain't rocket science so keep it simple at first !

We have an annual Naked Blindfolded Casting Competition you might want to enter... :)
Gary

Cast10
12-03-2020, 01:16 PM
I will 2nd an earlier post. Because you've chosen to read and inform yourself before just jumping in, I'm confident you will find success.
There just is no substitute for the knowledge base you gain from spending the time educating yourself.
Good luck and good hunting

Thanks. Hunting has been good.

skeettx
12-03-2020, 01:18 PM
Good to see you posting
What part of Texas
I am in Amarillo
Mike

Cast10
12-03-2020, 01:20 PM
Pass on the naked competition. Safety is a priority. Weld, so kinda got a clue on that end. Again many thanks!

Cast10
12-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Central Texas between Houston and Austin.

chutesnreloads
12-03-2020, 02:07 PM
Central Texas between Houston and Austin.

We're close to neighbors then.... although these days we're feeling a little TOO close to Austin

Cast10
12-03-2020, 03:24 PM
Yessir. Know what you mean! Tent/trash city.

No_1
12-03-2020, 03:29 PM
Welcome aboard! Once you begin the actual processes it will become much easier.