PDA

View Full Version : NRMA reloading bench

cheese1566
12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Has anybody used the NRMA reloading bench plans to build a bench?

I am thinking about a new bench and using the plans.

I am going to use MDF instead of plywood and adding extra cross supports under the top sheet and lower shelf. I can see already I will need to modifiy the front of the top or make a steel mounting plate for my Projector press. Plus leaving one side of the top cabinet open for peg board.

I am curious if anybody used the plans and any modifications made or troubles encountered.
Pictures would be great if you have them.

Forester
12-13-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.somerssportsmen.com/bench.pdf

FN in MT
12-13-2008, 03:38 PM
My Dad and I built me a bench EXACTLY to the plans twenty five years ago. That bench was taken down and rebuilt as I moved across the Country or to a new house; SIX times. It currently sits in my basement and is as as STURDY today as the day it was finished. IMHO the original plans are a great design. No need to brace or change anything. Especially if the bench is built carefully so that all your pieces are cut and assembled SQUARE and LEVEL.

I once had a dillon 1050 mounted to it that was used thirty to forty hours a week for about two years. Couldn't even estimate the number of .223's I loaded off of that bench. All that vibration never hurt it.

Built a second bench from the same design but a full eight feet long and a bit wider (36") as I wanted max space. Mounted a Spolar shotshell loader on one side and a STAR sizer on the other. They are a great design. Easily broken down and transported, but upon rebuilding they are still VERY sturdy and tough.

FN in MT

cheese1566
12-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the input!
I already have downloaded two versions of the same plan.
You answered my question if I needed to glue it together once I brought down to the basement. If it is strong enough with the screws, I won't glue it for the chance of dismantling.
I will also wait on cross bracing if it needed down the road.

rbstern
12-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Mine is based on that plan, although my benchtop and shelving are different. It is a really solid base.