PDA

View Full Version : Non-Dillon Dies in a 550

Green Frog
12-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Background; I inherited my Dad’s Dillon 550 he built like Johnny Cash’s Cadillac, “one piece at a time,” by upgrading a 450. I just don’t need it in any of the calibers he left with it, but I just found a 32 cal conversion kit (shell plate, pins, and funnel) on our favorite gun auction site.

Now my question; it looks like Dillon is pretty adamant about the superiority of using their dies instead of anybody else’s but I have a like new carbide set from RCBS that is surplus to my other needs and wonder whether there is any legitimate need to buy the Dillon set? I do remember when Dad was setting this rig up he used dies from other sources with good results...:-|

Anyway, if anyone has personal experience with RCBS dies in the early 550 conversions and would be willing to share, this would be most helpful. :coffeecom

TIA ~ Froggie

MostlyLeverGuns
12-02-2020, 04:25 PM
I have used Lee, RCBS and Redding dies on my 550. In some cases, there was not room for the die lock ring to fit, lock ring diameter and/or thickness can create problems. I drilled and tapped the Dillon toolhead for setscrews and used a rubber plug under the setscrew to secure the die.

W.R.Buchanan
12-02-2020, 04:44 PM
Froggy: Anybody's dies will work just fine in your Dillion. I use mostly Lee Dies in mine, and especially the Lee Factory Crimp Dies which are the best design there is available..

Randy

Goldstar225
12-02-2020, 05:58 PM
I'm using RCBS dies in mine with no problem. The fit with the RCBS lock ring is tight but doable. If it's an issue I think you can get the Dillon rings to put on the other brand dies.

Don Purcell
12-02-2020, 06:07 PM
What everyone has said, just set it up and run with it. One advantage with Dillon dies is they are really funneled at the opening to guide cases in easier but you will be good to go .

Daver7
12-02-2020, 06:20 PM
I've not used RCBS dies but I have used lee Hornady and Redding. I think on one of the Lee dies I had to put the lock ring under the tool head instead of on top. other than that Ive had no problems

NoZombies
12-02-2020, 06:35 PM
I load .32 long on a 550 using RCBS dies. Just make sure the case in station 1 is lined up with the die opening, and you'll be just fine.

downzero
12-02-2020, 06:46 PM
I have used all kinds of dies in mine and had zero issues. If the lock rings won't fit, put them under the tool head instead of on top.

TNsailorman
12-02-2020, 06:48 PM
As long as they are 7/8x14 dies they will work fine. I never used Dillon dies. james

Gunslinger1911
12-02-2020, 07:27 PM
A dozen + Lee dies on my 550 - no issues.

Kevin Rohrer
12-02-2020, 08:35 PM
I used everyone's dies on my 550; no issues.

Old School Big Bore
12-03-2020, 12:00 AM
I have used RCBS, Pacific, Lyman, Lee and Dillon dies in my two "500s". Lee dies in particular seem to be too short and their notion of "lock" rings means I throw them "over here" and order another 10-pack of the skinny Dillon 1" wrench version. The smaller lock rings are also handy if you have the light kit that sticks into the center hole of the toolhead. I have considered doing the D&T/setscrew route but with all the toolheads I have, it'd be a week's work and I don't want to hassle with building a jig for them, much less drilling the frames to access the setscrews without removing the toolheads.
My 450 frames are so old they have serial number plates. I bought the 550 frames and multi-packs of toolheads. I never upgraded to the automatic powder measures and primer pickup after having trouble with both on a square deal and 650; I prefer the manual versions for QC reasons. Thus I refer to them as 500s. I did add the loaded round ejector kits as well as the hoo-hah super stands. I keep one set up for small primers and the other for large primers - saves a lot of time changing them out. Staying with the manual measures has had a couple of drawbacks - you have to find a Dillon technician who was born before 1990 if you need a "450 type" powder funnel, and they have now quit servicing the manual measures. Therefore, if I buy two of the automatic powder measures to replace my manual type measures, which are wearing sloppy now, I will have to buy all "550" style powder funnels at X dollars times twenty-something calibers, so I have bought two Lee Pro Auto Disc measures plus adjustable slides and double disc sets, and plan to buy two of the Auto Drum models plus the extra drums.
Don't worry about the Lee slop rings not wanting to work with the Dillon press - flip them over, remove the useless O-ring and use them upside down. They will tighten right up but you will have to work out getting some sort of tightening tool onto them in that restricted space, especially if your Lee dies came with the goofy sprocket-shaped rings. Again, Dillon has multi-packs of the slim hex rings, steel or zinc, and the appropriate wrench.
Ed <><

Fishoot
12-03-2020, 12:57 AM
I had the same experience as downzero. I struggled with a Lee die for awhile and decided to try the lock ring on the bottom of the die plate. It worked fine. My dies were older so maybe Lee has lengthened the die threads now.

MrWolf
12-03-2020, 08:23 AM
I've used others in my 550 but do prefer Dillon. Guess it's a personal preference. Good luck

Petrol & Powder
12-03-2020, 08:41 AM
I don't think I need to toss in here but why not?

I use a large assortment of dies in a 550, including different brands of dies on the same toolhead.

I can't blame Dillon for wanting people to purchase their dies but even Dillon "saw the light". The Square Deal B requires proprietary dies but the 550, 650, 1050 all were made to accept industry standard 7/8" dies.

mister gizmo
12-03-2020, 09:18 AM
I agree with most posters ... I've used RCBS dies in my 450 and several 550s. Some times I need the hex lock rings and sometimes the round lock rings (and of course my RockChucker) .No adapters needed.

Baltimoreed
12-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Any dies will work. Just a heads up about Dillon 450 and 550 powder measures. I first tried the 450 [manual] measures but now have 550 auto measures on my Lyman T-2 presses set up for pistol ammo. They work great. Very consistent.

jmorris
12-03-2020, 10:42 AM
You need their shellplate and powder die/funnel (if you want to use their measure) and locating pins. After that any brand of 7/8-14 die will work. Some of them you might have to put the lock ring under the tool head, as some don’t have enough threads left above, for one.

Green Frog
12-03-2020, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys! Considering I didn’t drop an irritant bomb to intentionally troll up responses, the number of (positive) posts here blows me away! It’s obvious that there are a lot of Dillon users here and that they are working well for you with all kinds of dies as well as the prescribed Dillon brand. I should get my conversion kit as described by jmorris in the preceding post by tomorrow or Saturday and will be able to easily convert the press (which is now set up for 38 MRWCs) to be loading 32s for my several S&Ws. Again, thanks for all of the helpful responses.

Regards,
Green Frog

lightman
12-03-2020, 10:49 PM
Like most of the others, I have used a few different manufactures dies in my Dillon. With a few exceptions they all worked well. The exceptions were older RCBS dies. It seems that the mouth on older RCBS dies had less radius than their newer dies and it was possible to have problems with cases entering the die.

nicholst55
12-04-2020, 02:50 AM
My experiences mirror others. I did replace the OEM lock rings with Dillon lock rings to facilitate clearance and adjustments. I also have a couple of sets of Dillon dies, and they do work a treat!

ioon44
12-04-2020, 09:57 AM
I have sold most of my Dillon dies and replaced them with new Hornady dies.

David2011
12-05-2020, 02:18 AM
Their spring loaded decapping dies excellent because they very positively eject spent primers. Dillon dies are also exceptionally good for cast boolits. The seating dies are easily cleaned without removing them from the toolhead and disturbing the adjustment.

I use all brands of dies in my Dillons but all of my high volume cast handgun dies are Dillon. For lower volume cast handgun and any jacketed loading I use whatever dies I purchased for the purpose originally.

jsizemore
12-05-2020, 02:51 AM
What everyone has said, just set it up and run with it. One advantage with Dillon dies is they are really funneled at the opening to guide cases in easier but you will be good to go .

This. I started with RCBS dies but went to the latest generation Dillon. They're very user friendly especially with lubed bullets. You can pull a clip and clean them as needed without having to remove the die, clean and readjust.

SweetMk
12-05-2020, 03:31 AM
When I bought my Dillon, the 550 had just become the 550B,,

IIRC,, there were no Dillon dies, Dillon built the 550B specifically for non-Dillon dies.
Heck, they used to sell non-Dillon dies,, they may still,, I haven't looked at their site in a long while.

At that time, Dillon talked about the Dillon dies for the Square Deal,, but, that was it for Dillon.

I think the first dies they started offering for the 550B was a couple carbide dies, for high volume users.

downzero
12-06-2020, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys! Considering I didn’t drop an irritant bomb to intentionally troll up responses, the number of (positive) posts here blows me away! It’s obvious that there are a lot of Dillon users here and that they are working well for you with all kinds of dies as well as the prescribed Dillon brand. I should get my conversion kit as described by jmorris in the preceding post by tomorrow or Saturday and will be able to easily convert the press (which is now set up for 38 MRWCs) to be loading 32s for my several S&Ws. Again, thanks for all of the helpful responses.

Regards,
Green Frog

Dillon dies are great for pistol cartridges and that's all I buy now, but in my early days of reloading, I bought whatever dies were available and they worked just fine. Upgraded from 550 to 650 and I'm still using them. I'll probably be old and gray and hand them down to someone else someday. These are lifetime purchases.

Engineer1911
12-08-2020, 02:02 PM
Their spring loaded decapping dies excellent because they very positively eject spent primers. ...........

Very true, right up until you have that hidden 32 ACP case in a 45 ACP or 22 LR in 9 MM when you load using a case feeder. Now you have an opportunity for profane language, vise grips, channel locks, or bench vice and a hammer. The indoor range where I reload has provided this opportunity several times. If you don't have a case feeder, there is no problem.

When loading 3K rounds daily, the problem will occur.

David2011
12-10-2020, 02:52 AM
Probably so. I don’t often load more than 3000/ month. Any time a mistake like that is made the results are aggravating regardless of the brand of dies or press.