PDA

View Full Version : Full length brass hulls?

MOHunter
12-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Can you still find the full length brass shells like they used 100 years ago?....And if you did find them...would they work in modern chambers?........I was always interested in the old single shot rifles using the full length brass hulls.....just curious...

7.62Man
12-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I have some double hammer 20 gauge brass hulls but they are 2 1/2 I think. They work very well in my biakal single shot. I load them with smokeless as I hate cleaning post black powder. The grouse the load hit did not seem to know the diff from a plasitc hull and tasted great too :).

I think double hammer went out of business tho :( It is nice as the take regular 209 primers not large pistol like the magtec ones.

woody1
12-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Can you still find the full length brass shells like they used 100 years ago?....And if you did find them...would they work in modern chambers?........I was always interested in the old single shot rifles using the full length brass hulls.....just curious...

Check Midway, and some of the other similar outfits. Brass is available and yes, usable in modern guns. Regards, Woody
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=1&Categoryid=19960&categorystring=9315***11462***9501***
Here's Magtec at Midway

missionary5155
12-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Greetings Yes the brass hulls work in modern shotguns. The US Army has used then for years especially in high humidity areas. The were present in W. Germany 72-74.
Me I use them for Black powder loads with Round Ball. The plastic hulls will seperate with loads of 120+ .

Muddy Creek Sam
12-13-2008, 05:57 PM
These will last you the rest of your life. I have 30 much sturdier than the 300 or so Magtech I have. http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/page7.html

Sam :D

bcarver
12-14-2008, 01:48 AM
I am looking for a 3.5 inch brass hull. Any ideas?

Muddy Creek Sam
12-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Call Dave at Rocky Mountain, see my previous post. These cases are turned on a CNC machine. Bet he can fix you up.

Sam :-D

Dale53
12-14-2008, 02:54 PM
I used Military brass in my over and under shotgun (12 gauge) for several years. The military cases used large pistol primers. This, on occasion, would cause a "blooper" with smokeless powder. However, the use of a plastic cup over powder wad solved that little problem. At first, I used "water glass" for sealing the over-shot wad. Later, I discovered that Dupont Duco Cement worked better and the tube it came in made an efficient applicator. I used only target level loads. If you use Magnum loads you may shortly run into the fact that the cases needed resizing. THAT is a chore!

Keep in mind that brass cases are thinner than plastic or paper cases. 12 gauge shells require 11 gauge wads, etc. Ballistic Products have all of the components, including the brass shells and wads for loading them:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

They last nearly forever.

Dale53

turbo1889
12-14-2008, 06:14 PM
. . . Keep in mind that brass cases are thinner than plastic or paper cases. 12 gauge shells require 11 gauge wads, etc. . . .

With the exception of the Rocky Mountain Cartridge brass cases that is true, the RMC ones are full thickness on the walls and thus rarely if ever need sized due to their very thick and strong walls.

The main problem with the RMC brass is that they are so darn expensive, the reason for that is because they are cut from solid brass rod stock and thus there is a lot of waste involved -- you end up paying for a solid chunk of brass as big around and as long as your case plus the labor to cut it along with a profit margin.

Mugs
12-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I have about 100 that my dad machined from aluminum bar stock years ago. They use standard wads and large rifle primers.
Mugs

longbow
12-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Has anyone got an old brass (or aluminum) hull that is scrap so it can be cut in half lengthwise so I can get dimensions for the interior? For that matter I guess I could base it off a plastic hull but thinner wall.

I'm guessing the thinner wall is required for sealing?

Why use a pistol or rifle primer instead of a standard shotgun primer?

Brass is nice but aluminum should be cheaper. Well, this might turn into another project I may or may not get done!

If I ever get my rifling rack made for my "modern Paradox" gun I will just have to have metallic hulls to feed it!

Longbow

Dale53
12-14-2008, 09:46 PM
I would much prefer standard shotgun primers but the shells I used (Government Remington-UMC) used large pistol primers.

Turbo;
Thanks for the "heads up" regarding Rocky Mountain Brass. At nearly $5.00 each I doubt that I will be using them:mrgreen:.

Dale53

turbo1889
12-15-2008, 12:40 AM
I've bought a couple boxes of their 410 cases and if you reload them enough times it does make it worth while because they like never wear out but still it's not like I'm going to switch over to them entirely for my shotgun loading needs unless I win the lottery or something like that.

KCSO
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
I have used Mag Tech 12 ga. brass shells and B/P for a number of years and they work fine for me. I use magnum L/P primers and get very good ignition and reasonalble fouling.

PatMarlin
12-17-2008, 12:48 AM
I have about 100 that my dad machined from aluminum bar stock years ago. They use standard wads and large rifle primers.
Mugs

Mugs, can you post some pics of one of those? I would love to make some.

12-17-2008, 09:57 AM
In the matter of 410 shotshell loading, does anybody have load data for the use of .444 Marlin cases for the use in 410 shotguns? Interested.