PDA

View Full Version : Got to be my own PID yesterday

Walter Laich
12-01-2020, 09:42 PM
Everything was going find when my SSR gave off the 'magic' smoke from a hole on the left side

and no the hole wasn't there before it self-destructed

with two trays in the oven cooking and two more to go I played human PID by plugging and unplugging the oven from the wall. The temp part of the PID still showed the internal temp

found it to be rather easy to develop the 'feel' for when to plug it in and when to pull the plug. It was boring though

new SSR came in today so I'll be fully automated tomorrow

slim1836
12-02-2020, 12:53 AM
LOL, I'm not that smart.

Slim

kevin c
12-03-2020, 01:08 PM
And I'm not that determined!

Conditor22
12-03-2020, 01:38 PM
I'll never go back to casting or baking boolits without a PID, my oven heats up faster and stays within 1° after reaching temperature.

For baking, I used a cheapo PID in C° only -- no big deal set it to 200° C. and forget it :)

HATCH
12-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Everything was going find when my SSR gave off the 'magic' smoke from a hole on the left side

You need to make sure you have a heatsink or a properly sized SSR.
Sounds like your SSR overheated either due to it being undersized for your application or due to a short causing too much current to be drawn thru the SSR.

Gunslinger1911
12-04-2020, 06:58 PM
Haha, I have been a human PID for a year powder coating with a toaster oven - but I just play with the temp dial. While the oven is warming back up and I "play" with the setting, I just coat more cast. For a 20 min cook, I get maybe 10 min to go do other stuff. I'm thinkin hard on a HATCH PID !