PDA

View Full Version : recoil systems

JAMESGR
12-01-2020, 07:13 PM
Anyone have a recoil reducing system installed on your rifle???? I.E. Danuser, Falconstrike, Edwards etc.. Not just a mercury tube or added lead.
Do they work ????
Worth installing or a waste of money??
I ask this in the shotgun section and only one reply regarding recoil systems.
Archives only discuss mercury tubes and added lead.
Thanks
JAMESGR

Stephen Cohen
12-01-2020, 07:18 PM
I would also like to know as I find the 458wm harsh at my age, in spite of the extra 1/2 pound of lead added. Regards Stephen

Larry Gibson
12-01-2020, 07:58 PM
I've shot numerous rifles with muzzle brakes on them in cartridges from the .223 up though the 50 BMG cartridge. They do work for reducing recoil but at the expense of increased muzzle blast direct back towards you and others. Currently I only have one rifle with a muzzle brake and that is a 280 Remington. It reduces the recoil so that I can stay "on target" through the scope and observe hits or misses myself. That is with a 139 gr bullet pushed along at 3025 fps.

Since muzzle brakes operate on a rocket/jet engine thrust principle there must be sufficient muzzle exit pressure and volume of gas for them to work well.

tazman
12-01-2020, 08:07 PM
I have a solution to reduce recoil for hollow composite stocks only. Take the butt pad off and fill the hollow stock with small grain aquarium gravel. It doesn't add a lot of weight but it is enough to make recoil manageable in my rifles.
It has a side benefit of making the rifle balance and point better.
I used the cheap wally world variety.

When I shot clay targets in the late 70s early 80s, there was a recoil reducing system that had a hollow metal tube filled with liquid with a weighted cylinder inside that acted as a shock absorber. It was placed in a hole drilled in the buttstock.
I can't remember the name. Those that used them loved them. I never tried one myself.

There are some archery stabilizers made on the same general design. They work great on bows. They would probably also work on rifle stocks.

Dsltech1
12-01-2020, 08:31 PM
I haven’t used any of the rifle recoil systems. A couple years ago I wanted a adjustable stock for a 870 and didn’t want to spend much since I only take it out a few times a year. I bought a Phoenix Technology Kick Lite stock. It has a spring system inside and it made a noticeable difference.

porthos
12-01-2020, 08:35 PM
there's probably a dozen out there. goggle shotgun recoil systems. don't bother with the mercury type or edwards. they add weight to the gun; which in some way helps a little; but not much.

RickinTN
12-01-2020, 08:39 PM
I purposely avoid the big kickers in rifles but I do shoot several thousand heavy target shotshell loads a year. Of the recoil reducing systems I've seen I believe the ISIS system would be my choice on a shotgun. I think it should work as well with a heavy kicking rifle. Not sure what effect the difference in recoil pulse might be.
Good Luck,
Rick

Midohhntr
12-01-2020, 08:45 PM
I have Gracoil's on both my trap guns. They have a small amount of adjustment for reduction but otherwise work great, and don't add a considerable amount of weight.

Lloyd Smale
12-02-2020, 06:55 AM
im with lary. Only two guns i ever had with brakes were my 7stw and my 300 ultra mag. both rem 700s with factory breaks. Night and day differnce in recoil but i cant be bothered with ear plugs when crop damage shooting and the guns both shot to different points of aim when sighted in with the brake and then removing it later. Muzzle blast was so bad with those two guns that when i tried to shoot them without ear plugs it was painful. So i took them off and left them off. I dont have problems dealing with recoil. Maybe if i did i would have left them on and bucked up and put plugs in. Only two guns i shot that had brakes that i would never take them off is my buddys 416 and 460 wbys. Those guns KICK and the brake seems to about cut the recoil in half. If your not a believer in them working shoot one of those two both ways.

Walter Laich
12-02-2020, 04:15 PM
I have a Dead Mule on my hammered double barrel--yes, know OP was for rifles

works but not sure if it's the tube itself or the added weight. for Cowboy shooting it does fine

W.R.Buchanan
12-02-2020, 04:30 PM
I have a Gray Coil installed in the butt of my Marlin 1895 CB 26" .45-70. That gun weighed 7 lbs on the nose and even with a 1"+ thick Pachmayer Recoil Pad was hard to shoot well. Installing the Gray Coil upped the weight to 8 lbs and made the gun a joy to shoot.

Keep in mind that you don't need to shoot any super Duper Hotrod loads in just about any gun, for anything other than hunting the biggest game you'd shoot with that gun.

Recoil mitigation can start and end with lighter loads. You heaviest loads can be cut back to 4-6 every year with 3 being used to check zero and the other 1-3 for actually shooting at game. Most people can tolerate shooting 4-6 rounds of just about anything.

Randy