PDA

View Full Version : has anyone else quit

farmbif
11-30-2020, 11:14 AM
today is just one of those days. its cold and raining outside and I'm on second cup of Joe and the fires got the house warm.
I quit smoking some time ago. but today I'm just jonesing for some baccer. I know if I go to store and even get a bag of beechnut or a block of chaw it will lead to a pack or bag of tobacco--nope just don't want to go back there.

ShooterAZ
11-30-2020, 11:31 AM
I've quit 3 times in the course my life, and am currently quit right now. I really enjoyed smoking (I liked the little cigars), and yeah it's real easy to get re-hooked. I don't think those occasional joneses will ever go away, at least for me they don't. The good thing is that those jonesing thoughts pass pretty quickly.

BigAlofPa.
11-30-2020, 11:31 AM
I vape now. But smoke a pack too in a month.

Minerat
11-30-2020, 11:37 AM
I quit chew 4 times last time 8 years ago, never smoked. I use Altoids mints when it gets bad. I know one little pinch and I'll be a 2 cans of Cope a week junkie again. Don't give in!

375supermag
11-30-2020, 11:38 AM
Easiest way to quit is to never start...
Better that way.

Gtrubicon
11-30-2020, 11:40 AM
I quit July 4th of this year, it’s a tough battle for me, daily! I have been using the nicotine pouches, the brand I buy is called Zyn. They have helped me immensely.

poppy42
11-30-2020, 11:44 AM
Yah as I am typing I’m quitting, again, for about the 10,000 time! I’ve quit for more than a year! Something pops up, some party I was at, when I was younger, next thing you know, I have one, and it started all over again!

Lloyd Smale
11-30-2020, 11:46 AM
about the 5 time in the last 6 months. I get over the tough part and then someone comes over and lights one up and i cant help myself. then i buy a pack saying ill only smoke two a day that will last till the next day then its half a pack a day for a couple days then im right back to a pack. Smoked my last two this morning and am going to CLAIM i quit but i dont know if im quitting or just blowing smoke.

smithnframe
11-30-2020, 11:54 AM
It's been 13 years since I stopped smoking and once in awhile I still crave a cigarette!

tinsnips
11-30-2020, 11:56 AM
I had a friend in collage that was hooked on cigs,booze,cocain. He got off all of it to this day but he said tobacco as the hardest to kick. Tobacco killed my dad an my brother don't start up again please.

ioon44
11-30-2020, 12:17 PM
Me and my wife quit smoking about 30 years ago, we no longer want to smoke but are now dealing with the damage to our lungs.

If someone is smoking in my house there hair better be on fire.

Mal Paso
11-30-2020, 12:20 PM
It's been 14 years for me. Straight Pall Malls. If you can resist, it does get better.

I found it easier to put off having that next cigarette, then when you get there put it off again. It's easier than quitting. You're just not going to smoke right now.

swheeler
11-30-2020, 12:21 PM
I quit chewing last year after 55 years. I was down to a can a day so cold turkey it was, sucked!

metricmonkeywrench
11-30-2020, 12:27 PM
Yep... never goes away... though looking at the taxes put on em' I'm not sure i could afford it anymore, it would definitely get into my reloading budget.

waksupi
11-30-2020, 12:31 PM
I still smoke a pipe. I don't inhale, so I suppose it will kill me some other way.

atr
11-30-2020, 12:32 PM
I quit years ago, about a year after I got out of the army. I was smoking a lot of Camels and then I started jogging and quickly came to the conclusion that smoking and jogging didn't mix. I just decided to stop cold.
I wish you luck and the best kicking the smoking.
atr

MrWolf
11-30-2020, 12:33 PM
Quit smoking 37 years ago and will still get the occasional urge. For some reason a nice smelling pipe tobacco gets to me. I know it would probably taste like crap, but they do smell good. Hang in there and just quit. Going part way does not work. Good luck.

DGV
11-30-2020, 12:33 PM
Get some Nicorette gum. If you have ever had a loved one die from emphysema/COPD or Lung Cancer. A horrible death. Tobacco has probably killed more people than anything in modern history ..

Texas by God
11-30-2020, 12:35 PM
I quit smoking in 2007. It wasn’t hard because I took up chewing tobacco again. I quit chewing tobacco in 2012. That was tough because I had been chewing since 1970. It sounds stupid, but the way I got over it was to teach myself that the craving was the “new nicotine”. If I go to Mexico on vacation, I will enjoy a few Cuban cigars while there- and leave them behind when I return. I’ll crave some Copenhagen or Levi Garret about once every couple of years, but I know that I’d get dizzy and turn pale green if I give in- just like when I was a kid and tried Dad’s Red Man the first time. I don’t miss Marlboros or Drum at all.

Hogtamer
11-30-2020, 12:47 PM
yes....harder than hell.

RU shooter
11-30-2020, 12:52 PM
Yep quit when I went to the hospital last spring was in for 28 days never had a craving while I was in there . I lasted a week after I got home boredom got the best of me being alone while wife was at work .

Brass&Lead
11-30-2020, 12:53 PM
If you are blowing smoke tobacco might be involved! :kidding:

444ttd
11-30-2020, 01:02 PM
i quit smoking cigarettes 8 years ago. i quit drinking 8 years ago. i also had a bad stroke 8 years ago;), so there might be something that coincides[smilie=l:, hmmmmmm i wonder...........why i quit smoking/drinking at the same time as my stroke? hmmmmm...........nah!!!!

i have an occasional urge to light up or have a beer/whiskey. but it quickly goes away. my dad and mom(who are in their 70s) were smokers, but last year they quit. they have a occasional urge too.

i was 14yo when i first had a cigarette. i quit the first time when i was 18yo or because of basic training. as soon as i was done with basic training, the cigarettes pulled me in. even tho i still in the Army AIT and smoking was prohibited(article 15 https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/military_justice/about-article-15.shtml ) but i did it on the sly. 20+ years later, i had the stroke(doctors are still questioning why i had it. they know the what and where of the stroke, but not the why) and i quit cold turkey. not that i was in any position to quit, i was "passed out"? for 4 days in the pittsburgh hospital. then i was transferred to johnstown rehabilitation clinic(lee hospital) for 2 months. i was trained to walk/talk again. it was like basic training, so i did everything they asked. i give me D- on the walking/talking part. i give A+++ to their nurses.

Budzilla 19
11-30-2020, 01:20 PM
I stopped smoking on March 1, 1980. I definitely feel better than I did, I can still hang with the young guys(64now, soon to be 65) on the job, and I’m never going back!! Do I still want a cigarette every now and then??? Hell yeah, I do! Even after all these years, it’s tough to not light up! But, I don’t. Hang in there, you can beat this thing!! Good luck to ya.

SweetMk
11-30-2020, 01:35 PM
Go to your doc, get a prescription for Wellbutrin,,

The quitting smoking will be easier for you ,, and trust me,
EVERYONE around you will be happy you are taking it, because you will not have the ex-smokers jitters,,
and other ex-smoker undesirable behaviors,,

blackthorn
11-30-2020, 01:39 PM
Started smoking in grade school. Smoked till Nov 1977, so off smokes for 47 years. At one point I smoked 50 cigarettes' a day. In /77 I decided I would quit at the end of hunting season and, accordingly I told everyone around me what I planned. We came back from the last hunting trip and I got up the next morning and I thought I would just have one last smoke (and I did)! Later that morning I went up to my hunting partners place to help process the three Moose we had brought home. One of the guys asked if I had smoked that AM and I said yes. He then said--"well that's it then you wont quit"! Haven't had a smoke since. Quitting is NOT easy, but if you stick with it the desire gets less and less each passing year. It has been 47 years almost to the day, since I quit and I can say, that I have not been tempted for the last ten (or so) years. Hang in there.

gwpercle
11-30-2020, 02:08 PM
Fight it ... start thinking about something else ... you don't really want to start again...
Not Really .

I can understand how inhaling the smoke of burning anything into your lungs can't be good for you but when it comes to inhaling pot for medical reasons ...it's so good for you... I don't get it .
Bad to smoke tobacco ...good to smoke weed ?
Yeah ... Right ... I ain't buying that fake news either .

Who said " I smoked it but I didn't inhale " ?

Gary

Kraschenbirn
11-30-2020, 02:23 PM
After nearly 40 years of puffing, I dropped a 2-pack-a-day-habit just over 20 years ago and it was a tough pull all the way. Was using nicotine patches (they were 'prescription only' back then) and buying 'Big Red' cinnamon gum by the carton for the first couple of months. After a year or so off cigarettes, I backslid to enjoying a good cigar now and then...maybe once or twice a week...right up until my open heart surgery in April of this year. Since then, I've indulged in exactly two cigars...the first a Cuban Cohiba provided by a close friend upon the birth of his first grandchild and the second a Romeo & Julieta 'Medale del Oro', burned in mourning, on the evening of Nov. 4, 2020. I've a few more of those in my humidor and, when they're gone, I doubt I'll ever refill it.

Bill

grayscale
11-30-2020, 02:28 PM
Pack a day from Jr. high on and quit a thousand times. Till my youngest was diagnosed with asthma at age 6 mo.
I quit that day and never went back. Sometimes you just need a good enough reason to quit and make it stick.
Took seven years for the urge to go away. I always wanted a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other.
Hard to have a beer with the other hand empty, so I put a beer in each hand, but that's another story.

Win94ae
11-30-2020, 02:36 PM
I quit years ago, I still smoke in my dreams.

Uncle R.
11-30-2020, 02:38 PM
yes....harder than hell.

Naw - quitting is easy.
I did it several times.
:roll:

The last time was over 10 years ago - and this really will be the last time.
I actually lost most of the sight in my left eye due to vasoconstriction caused by nicotine.
Going partially blind overnight will get your attention, I can promise you that.
I was lucky enough to see one of the finest opthalmologists in the country, and he assured me that if I didn't quit smoking I'd be white cane blind in a year.

That did it for me. It was the last time I quit, and the easiest time by far.
I can tell you that the physical addiction is over in a few days - maybe two weeks at worst.
The rest is all between your ears.

Given the status of my eyes, I have no residual craving for nicotine.
Smoking a cigarette would be about like eating rat poison, and I don't want to do either.
That makes staying off the durn things easy.
You'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to smoke again.

I can tell you it's worth it.
Keep trying until you get there.
I really love being able to breathe well - and to see.

Uncle R.

Bazoo
11-30-2020, 02:46 PM
I never got hooked. I tried cigarettes when I was bout 15. Didn't do nothing for me. I enjoy second hand cigar or pipe smoke. Never tried the pipe but have smoked a small handful of cigars. The last was with my uncle when he was dying. Still have a 3 or 4 out of the box of swisher sweets from 3 years ago. I have the notion to smoke a pipe once in a while, but I figure it will ruin the smell.

Since my wife has migraines and smoke triggers them, I'll likely never finish that box of cigars as the smell on me is no bueno.

kayala
11-30-2020, 03:07 PM
Quit smoking over 10 years ago (don't remember actual number of years already). Don't have any cravings and don't even smoke in my dreams :) I've used to smoke at least pack a day with current prices (my wife still smokes so I know the prices) that would be around $2500 a year !

nvbirdman
11-30-2020, 03:16 PM
I smoked Lucky Strikes for about seventeen years. When I decided to quit (just to see if I could do it), I woke up in the morning and said I used to smoke, but I don't smoke anymore and never had that first cigarette. After about a month I lost all desire for tobacco. That was forty three years ago.

LAH
11-30-2020, 04:02 PM
Lucky Strikes & Camels for me. I really like the full favor. I managed to quit in 1978 while an over the road truck driver. The many hours I spent alone in the truck were HARD. Finally the craving to smoke stopped. This probably happened because of the Mail Pouch. I finally quit the Mail Pouch with a prayer for nearly a year & picked it up again at deer camp. About 6 months later [2002] I quit again & it was so hard I never want to go through that again so it is gone forever. If you start back, you'll have to quit again. Get your mind off it. Go shooting in the rain or whatever you need to do.

hpbear101
11-30-2020, 04:13 PM
I quit a 40+ year addiction to Copenhagen on 11-7-2019. I went cold turkey and so far have done fine, still miss it on occasion. I made it through hunting season with a bunch of family that still chews so I think I'm going to make it this time. In the past I had tried some of the non-tobacco chews to HELP me quit. I think all they did was keep me at the point where I was almost quitting but not quite, and it was mentally easier to just give up.

Keep at it, it does get easier.

Tom

BJK
11-30-2020, 04:20 PM
I quit in 1972. I was an underpaid GI and when a pack went from $.22 to $.23 I couldn't afford it so I gave it up. It was easy for me. I simply couldn't afford to buy them anymore. I had no choice. I never started smoking again and never had the slightest urge to start again.

OldBearHair
11-30-2020, 04:44 PM
Some say that tobacco is the cause of my Bladder Cancer that started nine years ago. Afterwards bladder / prostate removed. Quit tobacco in early 1980s only after turning it over to the Lord Jesus. I had tried too many times to quit and asked the Lord to take it away and I was not going to worry about it anymore. a month wert by and one morning after breakfast failed to take a chew of DaysOWork..Didn't even think about not having a chew until about eleven am, when I suddenly felt as if something was deadly wrong. Then caught myself reaching for the tobacco in the shirt pocket. Next thought was, how did I make it this long without a chew? Next thought was I know why! God has taken it away! I carried that plug of Days work in my pocket for days until the cellophane package wore plum out. Yes, at first every twenty minutes the urge would hit and I would . say nicotine fit and it was gone away. Went on with fewer episodes of cravings for a long time. I haven't had a problem with that in twenty five years now.. My wife says that she has gotten a new husband at different times because of quitting smoking, then chewing tobacco, then getting a sleep apnea machine. A memory: once as I came in the, house , got rid of the chew, brushed my teeth, kissed the wife, she said golly, my lips just went numb. Tobacco is the best thing that I know of to put on bee stings and such.

nun2kute
11-30-2020, 04:50 PM
they say 21 days to make or break a habit
hardest part for me was 4 days in 2002, but i still want one occasionally

dont do it, you'll be glad you didn't

OldBearHair
11-30-2020, 04:52 PM
Bought a carton of Marlboros for $1.20 in the PX in Thule Greenland in 1963. Bought a Ruger single six 22/22mag 6 1/2 barrel, two cylinders for $37.95 as well.

FergusonTO35
11-30-2020, 05:20 PM
Until this year, I had been on the nic in one form or another since I was 13. Mostly cigarettes and dip, but I like a chew of Red Man or a Dominican cigar really well too. A few days prior to turning 40 in 2018 I promised myself I would never smoke again. Bought a pack of my favorite Camels and enjoyed saying goodbye. From then on I used mostly nicotine gum with an occasional can of Copenhagen. Last February when it was time to spend another $30.00 on a big box of gum, I decided to just see what happened if I went without it. To my surprise it really wasn't that bad, and that is more money to spend on guns and reloading. So, I've been off the nic since some time in February.

I started drinking decaf coffee also, and my blood pressure has dropped to the middle of the normal range. Now, the really hard part. Gluttony has really always been my favorite vice, I have been a mindless eater since I was a kid. I'm now seeing a dietician and learning to log my food and pay attention to calories and servings. Was doing really good 'til I ran off the rails at Thanksgiving, slowly pulling myself back on the wagon.

No_1
11-30-2020, 05:23 PM
My failure to stay quit was the comfort of a false thought that since I had quit before I could quit again. I eventually quit (cold turkey) and have not smoked for almost 15 years. For quite some time staying quit was tough and at one point I would wake with the dream lingering in my head that I had smoked the day before. Don’t give in.

LAH
11-30-2020, 06:56 PM
Some say that tobacco is the cause of my Bladder Cancer that started nine years ago. Afterwards bladder / prostate removed. Quit tobacco in early 1980s only after turning it over to the Lord Jesus. I had tried too many times to quit and asked the Lord to take it away and I was not going to worry about it anymore. a month wert by and one morning after breakfast failed to take a chew of DaysOWork..Didn't even think about not having a chew until about eleven am, when I suddenly felt as if something was deadly wrong. Then caught myself reaching for the tobacco in the shirt pocket. Next thought was, how did I make it this long without a chew? Next thought was I know why! God has taken it away! I carried that plug of Days work in my pocket for days until the cellophane package wore plum out. Yes, at first every twenty minutes the urge would hit and I would . say nicotine fit and it was gone away. Went on with fewer episodes of cravings for a long time. I haven't had a problem with that in twenty five years now.. My wife says that she has gotten a new husband at different times because of quitting smoking, then chewing tobacco, then getting a sleep apnea machine. A memory: once as I came in the, house , got rid of the chew, brushed my teeth, kissed the wife, she said golly, my lips just went numb. Tobacco is the best thing that I know of to put on bee stings and such.

Great testimony.

ascast
11-30-2020, 07:20 PM
sounds like you got it under control. I smoked about 20 yrs. Started rolling my own, TOP or BUGLER. I believe the loose stuff is far less addictive, and the process of rolling is part of the satisfaction. Rolled my own about twice a day; factory loads about 20. After a couple years, NY upped the tax, I got really sick and stopped. I have not quit, just have not had one in 12 or 13 years. I fully intend to get back into it when I am 97 or 98, provided my fingers will still roll a good tight, well packed uniform smoke. That's in about 35 years. Not to long to wait really. hang tuff

Adam20
11-30-2020, 07:23 PM
Congratulations to all that have quit, I think about quitting often or at least cutting back some. I smoke 2 packs a day
gum, patches, Wellbutrin, nothing helps much. I just need to ween down and quit.
Thanks for sharing your struggles and victories.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-30-2020, 07:33 PM
I smoked for 21 years, a pack per day. When I finally got scared enough to quit it took me about 2 1/2 years to do it, off and on again. Thankfully it's been about 36 years since I quit, but I still sometimes dream about smoking. When I started, 1963, cigarettes were $0.25 per pack. When I quit, 1984, they were up to $0.55 per pack. Today I see them in stores for over $7.00 per pack. That would work out to about $210 per month, $2,250 per year. That really makes me glad I quit!

One thing I've learned that kind of irks me is the way the medicos tell you that smoking is a great danger to your lungs. They promise that shortly after you quit your lung heath will improve and eventually be much like before you started smoking. But what they don't tell you is that smoking permanently weakens the walls of your arteries and you are much more likely to develop aneurysms, and that this never gets better. Why this doesn't receive as much publicity as the lung issue I don't know.

jsizemore
11-30-2020, 07:36 PM
I was smoking about a pack a day when I moved to a farm to manage some livestock as payment for my rent. The goats were eating plenty of kudzu but the moist soil and protein rich food caused their hooves to grow in on itself and cause hoof rot. I'd have to catch them, trim the hoofs and coat with a iodine/formaldehyde mixture.

I hadn't seen a brown doe for a couple days so I went looking for her. She was laying in a thick patch of kudzu and would flop side to side while she stuffed her mouth with kudzu. I could see that 3 of her hooves had the telltale signs of overgrown hoof. I made a move toward her and she was up and hobbling along at a pretty good pace. I chased her long enough that we both gave out at the same time. Her from sore feet and me from being out of breath and seeing stars. After a few minutes, she started to get up but I threw my arm over her and she laid back down. All I thought was I was in such bad shape that I couldn't outrun a one legged goat. I finally could see straight so I carried her back to the shed and got her fixed up.

I quit smoking and the money I saved from the outrageously priced $1/pack cigarettes I spent buying guns and reloading equipment. That was 28 years ago.

farmbif
11-30-2020, 07:41 PM
I refuse to trade one drug for another its cold turkey or nothing.
now this Wellbutrin thing I never heard of for tobacco.
I'll share a little Wellbutrin story, broke my back real bad and had a very intense 12+hour surgery that fully occupied the two of the best neurosurgeons in Florida.
I could no longer do a lot of things I used to. DR said I was depressed and gave me Wellbutrin--man did that stuff ever get me wound up-- like I was on the best rides at universal and could;dnt get off. A dream job opening came up in Ft Lauderdale/Palm Beach area- an awesome job with company car, expense account a whole lot of prestige in the industry a whole lot of fun and a whole bunch of $$$.
I knew all the players at the business, even had an extended summer internship there and kicked a whole bunch of butt. But this was in the time of all big companies under extreme pressure of affirmative action. The big boss said he could give me 10 minutes to talk about the job, not at the office but unofficial at a local outdoor cafe.
I took one of those Wellbutrin right on doctors schedule while driving across alligator alley. I was so on point and keyed up That 10 minute interview turned into 3 hours and I was THE top contender for the job--but because of Affirmative action the big bosses hiring decision was taken away by the owners of the corporation.
Oh well
but that Wellbutrin stuff is kinda like speed I guess and I no desire whatsoever to take it again.

Deakota57
11-30-2020, 08:08 PM
I quit rubbing skoal wintergreen fine cut 11/ 24/2019. I rubbed that stuff since I was 18, I am 64 right now. I tried to quit several times but have failed. In the fall was always a bad time due to hunting, after morning coffee, after dinner, working on something it always was a bad time. It was never a good time to quit. I would say when I finish this last can I am done. I would get to where everything got on my nerves. Then go out and buy a few cans to calm me down. Now I still have my cravings to buy some, especially at Wal-mart, when I pass cash register 12 where they sell tobacco products. Well I can say I am a non user as for now. Good luck to all

tomme boy
11-30-2020, 08:17 PM
I was 3.5-4 packs a day in 09 when I quit. I bought a new car with the $ I was spending on cigs. Still have the car. I really enjoyed smoking. But I was ready to quit. That is the biggest thing to success. I took the chantix for a month and threw the rest of them away when I finally stopped.

A couple years ago I was having some very stressful things going on and I tried to smoke a cig. i got about puffs and threw it out. i don't know how I did it all them years

mozeppa
11-30-2020, 08:22 PM
i guess i was lucky ...tried to smoke because mom & dad did .

after my 3rd cigarette...i never saw the attraction... never did it again.

Joe504
11-30-2020, 08:34 PM
Welbutrin is a wonder drug for quitting smoking. Look into it if your having a hard time quitting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

richhodg66
11-30-2020, 08:39 PM
A friend told me those patches worked great for him. He said the trick was he had to roll 'em up real tight and light them a little longer than normal.

BUFFALOW RED
11-30-2020, 09:05 PM
I quit in 1977 at 52 cents a pack.
You have to get mad enough at the cigarette for burning a hole in your new truck seat that you don't want one anymore. Every time I wanted one I looked at my seat and got mad ,time truck was wore out didn't miss smoking anymore. Smoke free now 43 years

bayjoe
11-30-2020, 09:42 PM
I quit 7 years ago and still crave one ever now and then

GhostHawk
11-30-2020, 10:03 PM
Cigs for 12 years, pipe with Velvet pipe tobacco for 30. Went cold turkey clean for 2 years once. One day the wife walks up to me with with a box with all my pipes, lighters, tools in it. " If I give you your toys back, can I have my husband back?"

Sure thing doll!

Then 4 years later heard about vaping. Spent some time talking to vapers, trying it, researching.
That was 6+ years ago. I have zero desire to smoke. I get my nicotine fix as needed, when needed.

I mix my own juice, make my own coils, use dollar store cotton balls unrolled, torn in half, then rolled into a long worm to use as wicks. I was changing coils every day, then cut back on flavorings and found that was what was carboning up my wicks.
Now I go minimal on flavor, butter rum and butterscotch. Change wicks once a week.

About once a month I strip it down totally, clean inside with Q-tip and wrap a new coil. Start clean.

I have spent less in 6 years for vape stuff than I spent in 6 months on tobacco.

3 times since I switched to vape I went down on my juice till I was down to 6mg per ml. All 3 times the wife suddenly pins me with this snapping turtle look.

"You went down on your juice again. Well you just get up and go fix it because I'm not living with that uptight ******* sob. You understand? Your not EVER quitting that, just accept it. Quit fighting it. Now what are you still doing here, told you to go fix it! GIT"

Ok, I can live with that.

4 or 5 years ago they were talking about taxing nicotine like tobacco. I just used the last bottle yesterday to mix a fresh batch.
Have a 1 liter bottle of high test 48mg per ml waiting. I cut that with 50/50 PG/VG blend just a bit more than 50/50. Call it 20-22mg per ml.

I'm using Evod atomizers because they are bottom coil, dead simple to work on.
Power is an Aspire CF mod that takes those Lit-ion 18650 rechargeable battery's.
I have a dual charger, 4 3000mah battery's that get me 2 to 3 days depending on how long since it was charged and how hard I hit it. You can get those battery's on evilbay for 5-9$ each depending on size and quantity.

Its a simple system that works for me. Beats the heck out of smoking.

FergusonTO35
11-30-2020, 10:03 PM
My favorite cigs were unfiltered Pall Malls, Camels, and Luckies. They honestly tasted great to me, and I would have smoked them even if they had no nicotine. A few years before I quit they suddenly started tasting nasty and I switched to filtered Camels and Winstons until I gave up cancer sticks for good.

I read somewhere that cig makers switched to a new paper that was supposed to reduce the chance of accidental fires and people complained that it gave cigs a harsh taste. I still dream about smoking, but I know that cigs will never taste good like they used to and I really don't have any desire to buy a pack. In fact, a few weeks ago I found a new pack of Marlboro reds on the sidewalk in front of a store and gave it to a co-worker still unopened the next day.

Fireball 57
11-30-2020, 11:27 PM
My father asked for just one more cigarette to smoke in the hospital just four days before dying of lung cancer. My younger brother, loved Cuban cigars acquired on his many cruises, chewed Nicroette gum every two hours, and died of throat cancer in March. He was a gifted gunsmith and built custom long range competition rifles that won matches. I quit "cold turkey" after my father died and never looked back. You can quit. Do it for those that love you and yourself. I can smell the potty now.

Mal Paso
11-30-2020, 11:43 PM
Need a reason to quit? Your eyesight gets better. Enough that I noticed it.

Don Purcell
12-01-2020, 12:23 AM
A guy I worked with said he and his wife were waiting at an intersection when another couple that worked where they did went by in a nice truck pulling a nice cabin cruiser boat that they had just bought after the husband had recently retired. He said they realized at that moment how the other couple could afford to retire reasonably early and afford the boat. They sadly realized how much of their income was literally burned up in smoking over the years. It DOES add up. I have had people tell me they quit after seeing that they were burning up $300.00 a months in smokes, and this was years ago for just one person.

yancey
12-01-2020, 12:30 AM
I smoked over 35 years and was up to 3 packs of cigarettes a day when i put them down 7 years ago. I stayed on the reloading bench for the first few months to help keep my mind off the cig's.

samari46
12-01-2020, 01:18 AM
Quit smoking 35 years ago. But using skoal 1 can a day. And maybe smoke one cigar a month. Hate it when I go to Rouse's and walk by their smoke shop. Smoke it outside, then wash up so the smell doesn't get to me. I buy the little Cohiba cigars in the tin. So can keep track of how many I've smoked. Frank

sigep1764
12-01-2020, 01:18 AM
I quit smoking about 10 years ago. Still have one when Im out drinking with friends. Wake up and feel like crap the next day. When I drink and don't smoke, I feel fine. I do chew a can of Grizzly pouches every couple of days. Wife leaves me alone about it, even tho she is 9 months tobacco free.

legend 550
12-01-2020, 01:43 AM
20 years and 8 months. 3 packs a day. Don't understand how anybody can afford it at the prices today.

tomme boy
12-01-2020, 03:38 AM
Forgot to add. When I quit, within 4 months I almost lost my sight. I turned into a type 2 diabetic. My metabolism went to nothing. I gained no weight. I also ended up with neuropathy in my hands, feet, legs, back. High BP. Dr said it was all from stopping smoking. Told me that when you are smoking your bodies in overdrive trying to repair the things the smoking is doing to you. He said he sees this often when people quit. According to him the smoking is still worse for your body than all the stuff I got after quitting. I almost started again after a year but have not.

Scrounge
12-01-2020, 04:12 AM
today is just one of those days. its cold and raining outside and I'm on second cup of Joe and the fires got the house warm.
I quit smoking some time ago. but today I'm just jonesing for some baccer. I know if I go to store and even get a bag of beechnut or a block of chaw it will lead to a pack or bag of tobacco--nope just don't want to go back there.

I quit in 1972. Found out I could get five used paperback books for what my 3 packs a day of Marlboro's cost. $0.35/pack versus 20 cents apiece for the books. Some addictions are stronger than others.

Thundarstick
12-01-2020, 06:21 AM
I've quit twice. The first time for just under a year, then picked it back up, kicked myself in the rear for about nine months and quit the second time. That was nearly 20 years ago, NO tobacco products of ANY kind since. I had a coworker tell me once it took about seven years before she didn't crave one, once in a while. I'll agree, it took me about the same seven years, today I absolutely loathe the smell of a cigarette, and wouldn't smoke then if they where wrapped in $20 bills and I got to keep the $20 from each! I actually walk by people who are wearing mask to"protect" from COVID-19 that smell like an old ash tray and just shake my head, as tobacco related illnesses kills 400,000 Americans every year!

Wayne Smith
12-01-2020, 09:05 AM
My father in law had COPD, smoked, and before we were married he would get up from his chair, walk about five feet, and lean on a wall gasping for air. I gave LOML all my pipes (I had my own tobacco mix) for a wedding present, telling her I would not remind her of her father every time she saw me smoking. This past June we celebrated our 45th anniversary. I would still love a pipe, in my mind, but know it would taste terrible.

I have a method to get people thinking about why they smoke. There are four good reasons to smoke:

1) anxiety - tobacco does reduce anxiety - it is short term and the long term cost it terrible, but it works.
2) appetite reduction - weight loss - it does work
3) addiction - if your body needs it you won't quit without help
4) habit - I always smoke after a meal, when I get up, etc.

If you will stop and write down one of the above reasons for every cigarette you smoke between now and when you see your doctor next you will have diagnosed your reasons for smoking. Take that list in to your doctor.

We have medicine for anxiety, we have medicine for appetite suppression, we have medicine for addiction, give me the medicine I need and all I have to deal with is habit - that I can do.

Smoking is NOT only about addiction.

35isit
12-01-2020, 09:54 AM
I quit the hard way. I had chewed tobacco for 40 years. Started at age 16. At age 56 I fell out of a tree stand and broke my L3 vertebrae, three ribs, collapsed my right lung, fractured my right pelvis, had a concussion and broke several teeth. All the doctors that attended to me convinced me nicotine would hinder the healing process. Haven't used tobacco since. That was seven years ago.

Shepherd2
12-01-2020, 10:17 AM
I quit my 2.5-3 pack a day habit about 35 years ago. I tried to quit for years but couldn't do. This time I had a bad cold in my chest and smoking a cigarette was almost agony. I was driving home from work and started to light up another cigarette when I started to think about if I really wanted to go through that. I decided I didn't and threw my Zippo and several packs of cigarettes out the truck window.

I had a rough 3 or 4 weeks until I got the craving under control. I lost my desire for tobacco pretty quick and life was so much better that lighting another smoke was the last thing I wanted to do.

bedbugbilly
12-01-2020, 10:33 AM
Like so many, I started smoking when I was 16 - yea, it was "cool". In college, I smoked cigarettes - so many would try to bum one from you that I started smoking Camel straights as most didn't like them . . . I developed a like for them though. I quit a number of times. I enjoyed a cigar once in a while too - usually while on the tractor - Swisher Sweets or
rum Crooks. I also enjoyed smoking a pipe - probably preferred that over the others. I quit cold turkey when I was in my early thirties and haven't touched tobacco since. Now, I can't stand the smell of a cigarette for a cigar - but if I smell somebody smoking a pipe - which is rare these days - the craving comes back for some reason. I always enjoyed a corncob pipe with Cherry Blend, Kentucky Club or Borkum Riff.

Conditor22
12-01-2020, 04:21 PM
I quit tobacco and alcohol at the same time after 50 years. (more mad money :) )

I found it was easiest for me to carry a full/unopened pack in my pocket so I wasn't not smoking because I didn't have any I was no smoking because I choose not to. Don't remember what I ever did with that full pack. I never did like second-hand smoke and didn't smoke in the house. After quitting I detested secondhand smoke even more. Now it doesn't bother me much anymore.

Just look at how much your paying for tobacco and alcohol, add it up, and see how much $$ you'd have after a year to buy guns. :bigsmyl2:

10-x
12-01-2020, 06:48 PM
My Dad smoked cigarettes, cigars and lastly a pipe. I started about 1969 , through senior year in high school and when in the Army. Vietnam was about 3 packs of “ Humps” a day as that was about all we could get. When back stateside got on pistol team. NCOIC read the rules, no smoking, no drinking( booze) and no, little sex. We told him 2 out of 3 would be it, lol. Was tough quitting at the drop of a hat. Once out of Army learned my Dad had health issues from smoking. By then I smoked cigars, no inhaling , wife did Not Like cigars, quit them as my Md said not good either. Then my Dad developed cancer from the years of smoking, he passed few years later from lung and brain cancer. Never get over that. My oldest Grandson dips and Im after him to quit. He’s getting my fancy Ruger #1 in .375 H& H with all extras, So going to tell him quit all tobacco, will see.

dannyd
12-01-2020, 08:56 PM
I quit April 9, 1985 from 2 to 3 pack a day. Lost 20 lbs never had Navy food without a smoke before. Asked a guy at the mess table " has it always tasted this bad he said yes" :)

tankgunner59
12-01-2020, 09:14 PM
I was at 2 packs of cigarettes a day, and I quit with help in March of 1999. I haven't smoked since, never vaped. I too have had the urges once in a while. Most of the help I got was from God, and every time I get that urge He will send a current smoker past, I smell smokes on them and it shuts down the urge. He also gave me the incentive to quit in the first place, my family, thank you Lord.
Fight the urge, get busy with a hobby, reloading jumps to mind. :lovebooli The urge will pass.

labradigger1
12-01-2020, 09:58 PM
I applaud you all! I’ve smoked a pack a day for 22 years now and for the first 10 of those 22 years I also chewed a can of Copenhagen fine cut a day also. I quit the Hagen 12 years ago and still miss it but will never do it again because I would pick it right back up. Always enjoyed Hagen, fishing or hunting always required a lip full.
Smoking is my only vise, rarely drink alcohol, never have done any drugs. I’ve made it 9 days without cigs twice and cheated and had one. Right back to smoking. I detest it and boy does it have ahold of my mind and body.
For the last 5-6 years it’s been American spirit organic cigs, still a pack a day and $8 each.

As the old joke goes, lady told me if I would have never started smoking I could have bought a airplane by now. I ask her if she smoked. Nope she said proudly and sternly. I ask her where her friggin plane was.

Seriously though. For some people it is a very strong addition and I am unfortunately one of them. If I can ever quit I’ll need to go meander around in the mountains for a few weeks or my wife would kill me from withdrawal.

Lloyd Smale
12-02-2020, 06:21 AM
3 days now on my newest attempt.

mike britton
12-02-2020, 10:03 AM
I'm going to throw myself under the bus here.
I grew up in a house where there were smokers and started smoking at 13. I would steal a smoke out of my dad's pack of unfiltered Camels occasionally when he wasn't looking. Soon that habit turned into stealing a pack out of his carton that sat on top of the fridge.
Now, those of us who smoke/have smoked usually know how many smokes we have left in the carton we have. He had to have known someone was helping him smoke the packs out of his carton, and up to the day he died he never said anything to me, the only other person in the family that would have been smoking his unfiltered Camels.
That habit turned into a pack a day for probably 20 or so years until one day I decided to quit.
And I did so until Camel Filters came along. I was hooked again for maybe 10 years until I finally quit smoking tobacco alltogether.
All through that period of time (it was the late 60's-70's) my late wife and I also smoked enough marijuana to fill the bed of a pickup.
I experimented with almost all of the illicit drugs in the 60's-70's, but never felt any addiction.
When pot got hard to get I quit. My late wife kept on because it really did help alleviate the pain of her cancer.
I never went back to the illegals because, it was illegal and I didn't want my concealed carry jeopardized. How's that for distorted logic?
The reason I'm telling all this is because the only narcotic I've never been able to completely walk away from is nicotine. I still find myself buying a cigar on occasion. Nicotine is the most insidious narcotic I've ever had experience with.
I always tell my friends "Quitting tobacco is the easiest thing to do. I've done it hundreds of times!"

GhostHawk
12-02-2020, 10:23 AM
Mike

First point, I do not believe that nicotine is a narcotic. Just as addicting.

Like you my wife smokes a bowl of weed from time to time to help with back pain.

I try to keep it down to a low amount. The half oz we bought 3 years ago is half gone.

As for me I'll take my Nicotine straight with PG/VG (2 types of glycerin) It does not burn but it does vaporize giving a nice puff of smoke.

I had 3 years after I quit smoking where my sinus's would go nutz. I'd get like a hot flash, then a big wad of thick snot would dump. I'd swallow it and it would come back up just about the right time to meet the next slug coming down. My little dog saved my life many times over. He would lick my mouth, suck up that nasty stuff, then lick my nose shutting down the snot storm.

He could always tell when one was about to hit. He'd climb up on my chest and would not take no for an answer.

Nowdays I have maybe 1 or 2 of these a year.

My lungs have cleared up, I taste my food again (Gained some 20 lbs because food tasted so good)

My doctor is amazed at my overall health level.
And I love that little dog with a love that knows no bounds. Half chihuahua half Pomeranian, he is all character.
Yes he is spoiled. I have yet to see him eat a dog food twice. Have tried over 20. He exists on chicken, duck and beef jerkey, a slim jim for a treat now and then. And whatever he can lick off my plate when I'm done. With maybe a few tidbits over the side.

I'll keep sucking my nicotine straight up till they cremate me, and that is ok.

FergusonTO35
12-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Like so many, I started smoking when I was 16 - yea, it was "cool". In college, I smoked cigarettes - so many would try to bum one from you that I started smoking Camel straights as most didn't like them . . . I developed a like for them though. I quit a number of times. I enjoyed a cigar once in a while too - usually while on the tractor - Swisher Sweets or
rum Crooks. I also enjoyed smoking a pipe - probably preferred that over the others. I quit cold turkey when I was in my early thirties and haven't touched tobacco since. Now, I can't stand the smell of a cigarette for a cigar - but if I smell somebody smoking a pipe - which is rare these days - the craving comes back for some reason. I always enjoyed a corncob pipe with Cherry Blend, Kentucky Club or Borkum Riff.

A pipe is the only thing I am ever really tempted by. Borkum Riff and Captain Black taste awesome, and I never found that I got much nicotine out of smoking a pipe. I don't inhale, and unlike a cigar you don't have your lips wrapped around a big chunk of tobacco. In fact, I used to always smoke a cigarette or put in a dip after smoking a pipe because I still needed my fix!

Pinger87
12-02-2020, 12:59 PM
I quit smoking 2 years ago when my son was born, but I'm still on the dip.

Friends call me Pac
12-02-2020, 01:44 PM
I went through a can of Copenhaggen a day from the age of 16-45. A can at the gas station back then was .72 and by age 45 it was over $3 a can at a discount place. At that point I decided to quite cold turkey. It's been 10 years now and I still get a craving but when I say I'm going to do something I do it. It hasn't been easy and I have no clue where the money I saved from buying tobacco goes but I don't see me starting again.

downzero
12-02-2020, 01:53 PM
I bought a fancy vape and two cigarettes later, I quit smoking for good. I quit vaping about 3 months later. I'll still hit my vape once in a while, but without nicotine. I have zero desire to smoke other than a cigar once every 6 months or so. Vaping works to help people quit.

Ural Driver
12-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Began about 1973......cigars then pipe and chew......gave it all up about 1980, never looked back. [smilie=w:

bdicki
12-02-2020, 03:24 PM
Quitting is not hard, I've quit 3 or 4 times in a single day.

tinhorn97062
12-02-2020, 03:46 PM
Like many, I started smoking when I was about 14. It was the cool thing to do. That evolved into Copenhagen, and I smoked/chewed for about 15yrs. I quit both back in about 2006/2007.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petander
12-03-2020, 05:29 AM
Tobacco free for 1 1/2 years this time. But I never "quit".

I find it easier to just let it be,forget and not smoke NOW than " quit"... I don't worry about the past or future, not to mention count days. I can smoke any time I want, except I don't smoke NOW. Just a little difference in philosophy.

I'm 57 and I've had several 1-3 year long tobacco free periods in the last 10-15 years. I find this "now" technique very helpful, I don't fight or struggle, just enjoy freedom and forget,ignore... Stanton Peele writes real good about it.

41magjh
12-03-2020, 05:49 AM
Well the urge has not left. I get a smell of one an say OH MAN that smell good got to taste it but it only last for a split second. I have postpone the urge since the first Thursday night January 1999. Hope I never put one to my lips again.

robg
12-03-2020, 08:57 AM
i have stopped a few times ,2years, 1year twice but im not a quitter.

.429&H110
12-03-2020, 12:20 PM
My mother was a chainsmoker, lived to 89.
Dad didn't smoke, lived in that cloud with us, died at 90.
A cigarette on a racing sailboat,
in a flukey wind is really handy:
showing the true wind over the deck.
We all used to smoke on the schoolbus. Cigarettes up front, strange herbs in the back. Bus driver, Wilma smoked a cigar. My dad would follow us on his way to work, said it looked like the bus was on fire at a stoplight. Could smoke in the teacher's lounge, department offices, or behind the dumpster. I could buy cigarettes over the counter at twelve. Was it odd the packs had no tax stamp on them? That's Massachusetts.

2008 I went to work for UAF, had to go from a pack-a-day to a tube-a-day of lozenges. Still eat a lozenge now and again, they are great in airports, or driving my truck, and they don't make me wheeze.
Doctor says it'll kill me, but he don't say when...

shooterg
12-03-2020, 02:04 PM
Started smoking one day in 1960 . Swiped an unfiltered Camel from Pop(2 packs a day since his WWII time in USMC) .
Quit smoking the same day - half of that Camel has lasted me a lifetime !

edler7
12-03-2020, 10:53 PM
Smoked for 40+ years. Quit once for 4 years and started again. Quit cigarettes 6 years ago and started vaping. Quit vaping last summer after spending 10 days in a coma in ICU for a botched 3 vessel bypass.

Still love they way they smell when first lit, but smokers stink. I have dreams about smoking, but wake up mad at myself for starting again. I know if I ever light one up, I'm toast and back on the smokes. Can't happen, so I just don't do it.

Tobacco is a harsh mistress.

45workhorse
12-03-2020, 11:30 PM
Can of Cope last me about a week, sometimes two!

derek45
12-04-2020, 12:26 AM
I quit in 1993.

After several failed attempts, I changed my technique

Instead of saying "I'm trying to quit",...I'd channel my hard headed stubborn personality and say-

"I DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE"

It worked.

cravings are long gone.

Also, . . . I sat with my wife while she battled breast cancer TWICE, I'm not giving the C word a head start

Cancer sucks

Idaho45guy
12-04-2020, 01:47 AM
Quit two years ago after 25 years of smoking about half-pack a day and started using the Juul vape things. Hard to quit those since they are so much easier to use and don't stink. I think my nicotine use is actually higher now than it ever was smoking. But, I don't get out of breath as easily and have noticed other health issues went away. Will never smoke again as the smell of it makes me sick.

abunaitoo
12-04-2020, 04:19 AM
There used to be this guy that used to try and hang around with us.
Know everything, always bragging about his stuff, rubbing it in our noses.
He said quitting was easy, he did it many time.
Perfect example of "Better to Remain Silent, and Be Thought a Fool, than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"

Zingger
12-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Started Skoal at 14, Copenhagen at 15, chewed for 20 years. I am an Ag teacher- was griping on the kids about not starting the nasty habit- it can't be that bad if you do it was the response. I quit the next summer. It will be 5 years this coming July. That and the fact I've got two daughters that will want me to walk them up the aisle at some point- I can't stand to get much uglier! You guys have a great day/weekend!