PDA

View Full Version : Spg lube for REAL slugs

Evoken
11-30-2020, 06:37 AM
I have a traditions hawken flintlock, great plains hunter (I think that is the model). Mostly shot rb out of it and recently started casting and shooting lee Real in it. The real conicals are showing some very nice patterns and I think I like them. I use wonderlube for my patches and bore seasoning, but as you know it is messy.
Has anyone tried spg for reals or minis? It is definitely less messy. I khow it is for black powder cartridges, so why wouldn't it work for a flintlock?

mooman76
11-30-2020, 09:35 AM
It's should work but you will go through allot of lube quick. Might try making your own.

Evoken
11-30-2020, 09:54 AM
Someday soon I will. I'm just not there yet

megasupermagnum
12-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Someday soon I will. I'm just not there yet

It can be stupid easy if you let it. I know I read some of the fancy lube recipes, and my head starts hurting. I don't like REAL's, but on maxiball's, I have been using my own lube. I broke off a chunk of beeswax and weighted it. I then added an equal weight of crisco into a metal bowl. I finally melted the beeswax with the Crisco on the stove. Tada, homemade 50-50 lube that does a good job with blackpowder. You could use olive oil, or some other stuff too.

I also have SPG, and sometimes use it. I like to warm it slightly, and work it by hand into the bullet. I only have a couple sticks of SPG, which is not enough to pan lube. As for going through lube quick, the REAL's do not hold that much. I only lube the bottom grove of the maxiball, and I'd bet that is more than a full REAL does.

indian joe
12-01-2020, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=megasupermagnum;5046353]

It can be stupid easy if you let it.
This!!!!

ascast
12-01-2020, 09:47 PM
YES, VERY EASY i USE LOW SODIUM Crisco,... makes me feelbetter

Evoken
12-01-2020, 10:28 PM
Haha, low sodium crisco. All right fellas, I will have to give it a go, thanks!
Ken

charlie b
12-02-2020, 08:40 AM
I add a 10% veg oil to it. Emmert's formula. Some like to add a bit of lanolin as well.