PDA

View Full Version : Leupold M8 4x

Silvercreek Farmer
11-29-2020, 07:29 PM
Looking for a tough, reliable, fixed 4x scope with good light gathering ability for less than a fortune. Not much out there in the fixed power department anymore, many models have been discontinued. Stumbled on the M8 in my search. Going to call Leupold tomorrow and see if they still service them or if they just give you credit if you have a problem. If they will service them, I might look for a used one.

I'd consider the rimfire model, but I'd like a larger lens and duplex reticle (the 4x rimfire has very fine crosshairs).

Does the M8 meet my criteria?

Ickisrulz
11-29-2020, 07:45 PM
I have an M8 4x that I bought in about 1997. I sent it in last year because, to my eyes, the scope was not clear and focused to the edges. I cannot remember if the scope was clearer when I first bought it or not. They cleaned it and checked it out and then returned it. It still isn't clear to the edges and I am thinking about replacing it with a newer scope as the newer ones I have (Leupold and Weaver) are much clearer around the edges.

marlin39a
11-30-2020, 07:06 AM
I have one purchased used in the late 90’s. It’s very clear, with fine crosshairs. It was on a .22 rifle for years, but now on a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39. Just looked through it, and it’s very clear. I’d buy another.

EMC45
11-30-2020, 10:03 AM
I have one on my REM 700 .270 and my NEF Handi .223. They are great scopes.

elk hunter
11-30-2020, 10:08 AM
I have a number of Leupold scopes. While I do have several mid size and larger variables I much prefer the smaller, lighter, fixed power ones for most hunting. The M-8 4 power is what I have on my 6.5 Swede for deer and another on my 9.3 x 74 double for elk in the thick stuff. I've never had one fail for any reason. Leupold's guarantee is absolute, if you run over it with your truck they will repair or replace it for free. I find it difficult to even consider buying another brand.

Brokenbear
11-30-2020, 10:25 PM
I have a number of Leupold scopes. While I do have several mid size and larger variables I much prefer the smaller, lighter, fixed power ones for most hunting. The M-8 4 power is what I have on my 6.5 Swede for deer and another on my 9.3 x 74 double for elk in the thick stuff. I've never had one fail for any reason. Leupold's guarantee is absolute, if you run over it with your truck they will repair or replace it for free. I find it difficult to even consider buying another brand.

What he said

Bear

Lloyd Smale
12-01-2020, 06:50 AM
I have an M8 4x that I bought in about 1997. I sent it in last year because, to my eyes, the scope was not clear and focused to the edges. I cannot remember if the scope was clearer when I first bought it or not. They cleaned it and checked it out and then returned it. It still isn't clear to the edges and I am thinking about replacing it with a newer scope as the newer ones I have (Leupold and Weaver) are much clearer around the edges.

id agree the older Leupold's werent all that great optically. Good rugged scope though and back then they even held there own optically. Today a cheap chinese or korean scope would blow them out of the water for glass quality. Anymore i wouldnt give 50 bucks for any Leupold that had friction adjustments. I do believe even the newer fixed power scopes have better glass then the old ones. That said if glass quality means anything buy yourself a 2x7 or 3x9. Price is about the same as the fixed scopes if not cheaper. There plenty rugged and a more versatile scope. I never saw the big attraction to fixed power scopes.

Petrol & Powder
12-01-2020, 10:35 AM
I can't advise on Leupold's policies but I will say they have always made good quality scopes and I've never heard of them refusing to repair a scope that could be repaired.

A fixed power scope has a lot going for it. They are typically lighter and less bulky than a variable of the same maximum magnification; and always less complex. While variable power scopes are extremely reliable and not terribly expensive these days, a fixed power will always win in terms of simplicity.
I have a 25+ year old 4 power Leupold that has never given a moment of trouble. It is mounted on a .22 target rifle, so admittedly it has never been subjected to a lot of recoil but it has held its zero perfectly.

I disagree that a cheap Chinese or South Korean scope will be superior to a good quality scope. There is NO free lunch when it comes to optics. Regardless of how inexpensive your labor force may be, there's only so many corners that can be cut to hit a price point before the quality drops off. When it comes to optics, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
That doesn't mean all Asian optics are poor quality, it just means CHEAP Asian optics are no better than anyone else's CHEAP optics.

In today's world, variable power scopes are often less expensive than fixed power scopes, so it's difficult to make an argument for a fixed power scope, other than the simplicity of the design. Because variable power scopes are very reliable these days, and can be had with lower range of magnification in the 1 - 2 power range; even the simplicity argument is difficult to make.

Idaho Mule
12-02-2020, 12:23 AM
Looking for a tough, reliable, fixed 4x scope with good light gathering ability for less than a fortune. Not much out there in the fixed power department anymore, many models have been discontinued. Stumbled on the M8 in my search. Going to call Leupold tomorrow and see if they still service them or if they just give you credit if you have a problem. If they will service them, I might look for a used one.

I'd consider the rimfire model, but I'd like a larger lens and duplex reticle (the 4x rimfire has very fine crosshairs).

Does the M8 meet my criteria?

Go for it. They are great scopes.

MT Gianni
12-03-2020, 11:14 AM
Check out Riton scopes. Most of their products are high end variables but they make a great 4x. https://www.amazon.com/Riton-RT-S-4x32-Riflescope-Black/dp/B07SCPWZHY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=riton+4x+scope&qid=1607008380&sr=8-3