PDA

View Full Version : Where to find cast boolit loads?

spurrit
12-13-2008, 03:51 AM
Guys, I've cast up a bunch of cast boolits for the .30-30 and .30-06, but am having a helluva time finding loads that aren't for some oddball powder or that don't use Unique.

I WAS using 4064 for rifle powder,since it seemed to be the most widely used.... until I bought it, then those loads disappeared, somehow, so I bought 4895. Same thing. I guess, now, I need some 4350!

Once I bought a 150 gr. mold, all the above data disappeared, also! I guess it's not just powders that disappear; it's bullet weights, too!

I hate to be the kinda mooch that's too lazy to do his own research, but I'm at a loss; WHERE do I learn more about CB loads? There seems to be very little available.

Also, I read somewhere that cast bullets create less friction, and thus, need less powder. Is this true? Is there a rule of thumb on how much to reduce loads?

What books do I need, but don't have?

P.S.~The only rifle powder I'll have until after Christmas is 4895.

jtaylor1960
12-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Lyman manuals both old and new have a huge amount of cast bullet data for many calibers.What I have done many times is to reduce loads shown for jacketed bullets of the same weight to get a velocity that suits my needs.I asume you have IMR-4895 powder.H-4895 can be reduced safely to 60% of maximum which is nice for cast loads.The 30/30 loads for jacketed loads can pretty much interchange for the cast bullet.The Hogdgon web site has a huge amount of free load data including for your powder.Take a look.I'm sure you can find a good starting point.Good Luck.

IcerUSA
12-13-2008, 08:42 AM
I had a older gent tell me that you can use most load data for condom bullets for lead boolits by reducing the start load by 15% and work up .

So far that seems to hold true with my limited testing but always heed the load warnings for some of the powders that don't do well with reduced loads .

Some will say to use the start load for condoms and work up or down a little .

If your using GC boolits I would just use the start load data for 30cal or larger, as for smaller cal boolits I'm not sure as I haven't done much testing yet .

Keith

gon2shoot
12-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I dont have it with me at the moment, but IIRC Lee's "Modern Reloading" has several cast boolit loads for the 30-30. :coffee:

corvette8n
12-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Ken Waters notebook.
those little Loadbooks by caliber
I have one for .30-30 and it list a few loads.

mr mom
12-13-2008, 10:54 AM
i have an old lyman reloading man. it has listings for a 131 gr, 155 gr. and 173 gr cast in the 30/30.. but they all list it with gaschecks... they all list the same powders .. unique, 2400,imr4227,imr4198 and imr 3031..

in 06. they list a few more.....118 gr,313 gr,155 gr,173 gr,183 gr,193 gr, and a 213 gr. the same all listed with gaschecks... they use the same powders , but they also use imr 4064..

somewhere my son has some listings for cast bullets in 30/30 without gaschecks. i asked for them when he was home for thanksgiving , but didnt get them.. he should be home in a few days for chistmas.. i have someone else that wanted copys....

i just picked up a 150 gr mold , but the only thing stopping me is you use to be able to pick up g/c for 12 1000, and now they are up to 50 bucks.... looks like he is just going to get some plinkers to shoot.

Calamity Jake
12-13-2008, 11:45 AM
"I WAS using 4064 for rifle powder,since it seemed to be the most widely used.... until I bought it, then those loads disappeared, somehow, so I bought 4895. Same thing. I guess, now, I need some 4350! "

If your just getting into cast in rifle stay away from 4350 it's a little to slow and burns funny at reduced loads.

woody1
12-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Guys, I've cast up a bunch of cast boolits for the .30-30 and .30-06, but am having a helluva time finding loads that aren't for some oddball powder or that don't use Unique.

What books do I need, but don't have?

P.S.~The only rifle powder I'll have until after Christmas is 4895.

Nothing wrong with Unique. That ought to start a war!

Now that I said that.....Get a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. So far as I know the Third Edition is the last one.

If you PM me with your e-mail addy, I'll send you a page or 2 with loads from the Lyman third. Tell me what boolits you've got so I can select the proper loads. Regards, Woody

spurrit
12-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Woody,

Hit me at: spurrit at broncriderDOT cOm. I'm using 150 gr. RNFP's.

OldBob
12-17-2008, 07:41 AM
You can find reprints of the old Lyman manuals here http://www.cornellpubs.com/Templates/Historic-A-LYMAN.htm They will have some powders that are no longer available, but many that are still being made, great source of info and just fun reading. The latest Lyman Cast Bullet manual is probably the best source of info. Another excellent source is wiljen's compilation of loads available right here ! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29268 This is a GREAT piece of work and if you don't have it ... you should !

shotman
12-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Loadbooks have a good many loads if it is for most standard cal . there is a guy on feebay that sells them cheap. If you want to find loads for cast dont use the powder manufactures books Lyman is a good source find older manules I like the 42 through 46 that is 60s 70s