PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying some .30 cal AP bullets

Hanzy4200
11-28-2020, 10:52 PM
I recently came into a nice quantity of pulled .30 cal. AP bullets. Bullets are beautiful, no pull marks at all. Also a pile of berdan primed 7.62X51 brass. Case head stamp is F - 78 - 73 - Nato Cross. Whether these two originated together the previous owner wasn't sure. He inherited them from his father who has passed. What has me a little confused, is these are different from the basic M2 AP I'm accustomed to. They weigh 150.2 gr for one. The core does not have the usual shoulder, but is a steeply rounded shape that ends in a very sharp point. They are very magnetic and are absolutely a hardened steel. My main questions are, what the heck are they, are they as accurate as the M2's, and is penetration comparable. They also show no trace of the usual black tip. This could have been removed, but they still had traces of that black tar sealant before I ran them through the rotary, so I doubt it.

I have pictures, but after trying 3 times to upload I'm done wasting my time. Picture uploading is terrible here.

Hanzy4200
11-28-2020, 11:10 PM
Bonus question! Would you assume this brass is corrosively primed? I know most countries stopped with the corrosive stuff my the 60's, but the fact they are berdan makes me wonder. Same guy gave me a big pile of surplus FN 30-06 last year made in the 50's, and I know that stuff is corrosive.

Paper Puncher
11-28-2020, 11:24 PM
Sounds like M61 AP or foreign equivalent.

Hanzy4200
11-29-2020, 07:01 PM
I looks like it may in fact be the M61 type. Why have I never heard of these before? Are they very uncommon?

Winger Ed.
11-29-2020, 07:15 PM
It was made in Santiago, Chile, probably in 1978.

The 'F' means: "Berdan primed, zero crimp, dark green primer sealant".

With the NATO cross- they'll made be to the same non-corrosive, pressure & accuracy spec. as other NATO stuff.

The tar residue in the cases is or was also on the pulled bullets.
If the tar has been washed off, it would have taken the paint off the tip too.

I wouldn't have any problem loading and shooting the Berdan cases.
Then scrap 'em or leave 'em.