PDA

View Full Version : Some opinions please

doulos
11-28-2020, 05:10 PM
I need a little help to get me going on the right direction. First off my casting experience is with BPCR bullets and muzzleloader round balls.
Id like to get a mold for my .44 mag Henry and my G2 Contender.
I read with interest about the .44 SWC molds in another thread. I believe it was a MP mold.
If i am reloading for a .44 mag rifle are the higher velocities going to dictate the need for a gas check design? Besides bullet fit is powder coating a suitable replacement for gas check to keep down leading?
Id like to keep the bullet weight around 240.
What bullet molds would you experienced guys consider?

Winger Ed.
11-28-2020, 05:15 PM
To my knowledge, nobody makes a bad mold---- at least not for very long.

I'm a lube & gas check guy, but powder coating does seem to be the future.
If I was just joining the game, I'd sure be checking into it.

Bazoo
11-28-2020, 05:59 PM
Accurate 43-240A or AG for gas checked is worth a look. I had one but it cast large and I sold it. Cast beautifully though. Never ran it through a long gun.

largom
11-28-2020, 06:22 PM
I would go with gas checks and the mold will depend on what the gun likes.

Outpost75
11-28-2020, 08:28 PM
Plainbased bullets in a .44 Mag rifle will lead unless you keep velocities to black powder .44-40 levels, no more than 1450 fps in a 20-inch twist, and you can probably go to 1600 fps in the slower 36-inch twist in a smooth barrel with well lubricated bullets which "fit", when loading magnum pistol powders similar to 296/H110/N110. Larry Gibson is the expert on this.

I'm a cheap SOB and don't like to spend money on GCs so I keep my .44 Mag. loads below 1600 fps rifle velocity.

The deer cannot tell the difference.

USSR
11-28-2020, 09:28 PM
Like Outpost75, I'm not a gas check fan. I cast my bullets a little harder when necessary, and keep my velocities at a reasonable level.

Don

country gent
11-28-2020, 11:14 PM
What you might consider, Start out with a plain based mould and lube first, Figure out the basics the firearms like then move up from there. Most times a duper load isnt needed and the basic lighter load will be a welcome fun load.

In the 44 a 240 grn SWC could be a double duty load even, Nothing says a gas check has to be seated on it they can be shot with out. A good lube and get started find the dia they like and the load, Id bet that henery with a upper end 44 spl load would be a lot of fun plinking too.

doulos
11-29-2020, 09:57 AM
The more I think about it. I think I might want both a plain base and a gas check. I would use the gas check for mainly hunting loads over 1500fps.

OS OK
11-29-2020, 10:21 AM
Order a 4 cavity mould that dumps 2 GC's and 2 PB's. I would get it in a SWC...also learn Powder Coating, it is the future.

Mitch
11-29-2020, 10:48 AM
I am with OS Ok get a mold that drops both.Now all you need to do is figure out how many you want of each.Tom at Accurate mold can fix you right up.

Mal Paso
11-29-2020, 11:06 PM
You may want to check the "Leverguns" section to see what feeds/shoots best in your Henry. SWCs aren't known for feeding well. Something like the MP Molds Hammer would be a good candidate but I looked and it sold out. It's a WFN with most of the bullet inside the case.

From Henry

Henry Big Boys chambered for .44 Magnum can use any reputable, good-quality brands of factory standard or +P loads of .44 Magnum or .44 Special which have standard profile bullets (lead or semi-jacketed round-nose, semi-jacketed or jacketed flat-nose and hollow-point) up to a maximum projectile weight of 260-grains.

doulos
11-30-2020, 12:26 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I really do appreciate it.

gwpercle
12-01-2020, 03:20 PM
Unlike most people ... I am a Gas Check fan for magnum velocities .
I don't powder coat , it just seems like a gas check lets you do more ... makes rifle loads easier if you want to push the envelope .
Get in on a gas check group buy and the prices aren't so bad ... don't know what they will cost in a Biden controlled world ... I have plain based moulds to fall back on .
Daddy always told me to have a Plan B and a spare .
Gary