PDA

View Full Version : "J" prefix Marlin Model 39

Naphtali
11-28-2020, 02:51 PM
I am picking up a Marlin Model 39 rifle after the holiday weekend. Earlier versions of Marlin 39s apparently have action problems if they shoot quantities of "Hyper-velocity" 22 LR ammunition such as CCI Stinger 22 LR. Where in Marlin 39's production does mine fit? Is it Stinger safe?

The information I have includes:

- Made in 1952, "J" prefix serial number

- Pistol grip, 24-inch barrel, blued steel including trigger

- Ballard rifling
Is my 39 Stinger safe?

pietro
11-28-2020, 04:09 PM

Yes ….

You don't have a Model 39; you have a Model 39a - which is suitable for any ammo you can stuff in it.

Accuracy is, however, another issue.

As a general rule, Stingers are not all that accurate - certainly not as accurate non-Stinger pressure level ammo.

Over the years, I've owned/shot/hunted with a half-dozen Model 39a's, and all of them would keep at least five shots under a dime @ 50yds, regardless if it had a scope or a receiver peep sight.

https://i.imgur.com/oKFJaicm.jpg

I never really bother to check the accuracy with the barrel open sights.

Walks
11-28-2020, 04:20 PM
I have a 39D, 20" RB-PG.
pietro is correct.
Stingers are junk. Ifen I was lucky to hit a Jack with one, it usually slowed the bunny down with a BIG surface wound. Took a finishing shot with a Single-6ix.
Accuracy, put a Williams FP peep on mine. CCI MiniMags; 50yrds from the bench, one inch group.

Drm50
11-28-2020, 05:54 PM
Me and my Bro did extensive testing on 22 ammo in 80s. The reason was to determine if it was worth the extra expense to buy premium and target ammo for run of the mill 22 rifles. Our test proved that it was a waste, although different rifles liked different ammo. The most of the rifles did their best with Rem or Win 50/box 22lr. The only rifle to do well with Stingers was a Ruger 10/22.

pietro
11-28-2020, 06:04 PM

Stingers DO have at least one saving grace...……..

They shoot very dependably in my somewhat cranky Walther TPH

https://i.imgur.com/aaZH9pSm.jpg