PDA

View Full Version : Which sizer press? (Again?!!)

cheese1566
12-12-2008, 11:50 PM
I know it has been discussed before...

I am starting in the casting experience and looking to gather equipment. I am debating getting a new Lyman 4500 with the integrated heater. I am also split on the RCBS but will need extra $$ for a heater. (I do plan on using Lar's Carnauba Red lube.)
I plan on maybe only doing 2-3000 rounds a year, as I accumulate local WW.

Which should I opt for and why, based on experiences? Is the Lyman 4500 as bad as I read?

Plus, I know Stars are the best, but it is not an option due to $$$,
unless someone wants to donate one to my cause!!

454PB
12-13-2008, 01:47 AM
RCBS has about the best customer satisfaction reputation in casting/handloading. I own 2 Lyman lubrisizers and a Star, but If I were starting over, I'd buy RCBS.

HeavyMetal
12-13-2008, 02:27 AM
If your going to insist on a "push pull" sizer take a good hard look at the Saeco!

I think, dollar for dollar, they are the next best thing to a star. The auction site usually have one every other month or so, the last one I saw went for $135.00 and thats still better than a new 4500! The Lyman heater fits the saeco as well as the rcbs and star so you'll only buy one heater.

Trust me buy "right" the first time and you'll never be sorry! So Saeco or Star that's where my money goes!

dromia
12-13-2008, 05:19 AM
The Star is indeed a fine machine and is especaily good if you are sizing and lubing to one size in quantity.

The Saeco is probably the Rolls Royce of pull push sizers, however their size dies are more expensive as are their top punches. I have one but haven't used it in years because I don't have the size dies for it I need and haven't got round to springing the dosh for them.

I have three RCBS and two Lyman sizers on my bench and they all work fine, I do a lot of changing size dies and I find the RCBS/Lymans easy to set up and their size dies are interchangeable.

The RCBS sizers are very good and their backup is second to none as has been said. The Lymans are good to though, I have a 450 and the newer 4500 with heater for Carnauba red, both are fine sizers with the 450 having sized 10s of thousands of boolits over the years with no problem. The 4500 has maybe had 12,000 boolits through it over the past 2 years with ne'ry problem.

There is also a lot to be said for the Lee push throughs also especially if you are tumble lubing.

Second hand is a good way to go and the money you save can buy a sit upon heater for the sizer.

I can recommend any of the above, you pays your money and you takes your choice. :-D

cajun shooter
12-13-2008, 07:46 AM
The RCBS mounted on a piece of aluminum plate first then bench will hold a travel iron with temp control purchased from Wally-World. Then you will have no trouble using the REd. Don't know what calibers your sizing, but if they are pistol you might want to look at BAC.

jcwit
12-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Natchez has the Lyman 4500 Lube-Sixer with 110 volt heater for $128.00 NIB and yes its in stock.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-14-2008, 12:05 AM
I've got a Lyman 450 with the original style (unbreakable strap)handle I can let you have for $90 plus shipping. This includes a .452 sizing die and a #424 top punch. $75 without dies.
Morgan

miltfarrow
12-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I like the SAECO-Redding sizers. I hate to stop and change the sizing dies, so I own four separate SAECO sizers, one for each caliber I size. I bought them all on eBay, over a period of several years, and I think I might have $180, maybe less, total in all four of them. They are NOT pretty. One looks like a beater, but they all work great. Here's a plus with these sizers. They use a solid tube of lube, not a hollow tube like Lyman sizers. So if you make your own lube, like I do (it is easy!), you just pour the melted lube in the reservoir and start lubing. YES, get the heater.