PDA

View Full Version : New G23 arrived.

Idaho45guy
11-28-2020, 04:31 AM
Ordered a brand spanking new Glock Gen 5 G23 that I found on Gunbroker and it arrived at my FFL last Friday. I was able to pick it up after the background check Wednesday afternoon, but with an hour of daylight left and miserable rain, I was not able to shoot it. I did a review video late that night, then had Thanksgiving the next day and was busy cooking and eating, then had to work a 12hr shift, and won't be done working until Sunday, then helping my daughter pack and move her to Seattle Sunday and Monday, so hoping to shoot it on Tuesday.

Really chomping at the bit to fire it!

The new Gen 5 G23 just hit the streets about a month ago and they are in very high demand and hard to find. I ended up paying $5 over MSRP and the shipping was included, along with no CC fee. Shipping is usually $30, and the CC fee is 3%, so taking that into account, I paid about $550, which is a fair price. There are only 3 of these currently on GB with buy it now prices. $799, $879, and $1139. Crazy!

https://www.gunbroker.com/Guns-Firearms/search?Keywords=gen%205%20G23&PageSize=24&Sort=13&View=1&BuyNowOnly=1

I have a Gen 5 G19 MOS Glock, and am very impressed with it. Good trigger (for a Glock), exceptionally accurate (1" 5-shot groups at 25 yards), and fits my hand perfectly. So when I heard that Glock was going to offer the G23 .40 S&W in the updated Gen 5 configuration, I had to have one.

The new G23 has the exact same frame and I can swap slides between frames.

However, the new Gen 5 slides are beefed up over the previous Gen 4 G23s. The new slide is now 1.08" wide, compared to the 1.00" of the old guns, and the Gen 5 9mms.

This really concerned me, since I was afraid the new gun would just be too fat for comfortable carry. In pictures and on camera, they look much fatter than they really are. In person, they are just fine.

I did a video review of it on YouTube. It is my first gun review video, and it is crude and my voice is way too monotone. I am definitely no HR Funk, lol. Hopefully can figure out how to edit videos and do more that are appealing and polished, like our own aforementioned forum member.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96L5KqNwvQg

Here are photos for those that don't want to watch a rambling and poorly done video...

Catshooter
11-30-2020, 10:58 PM
An inch at 25 is exceptional for any service weapon. Of all the Glocks I've owned only one could do it. A fairly early gen 2 19. Nice. It'll be interesting to see how the 23 does.

Cat

rickiesrevenge
11-30-2020, 11:22 PM
I'm glad you like it. There's a shop near me that still has an assortment of glocks. Problem is I just can't get interested in a glock! Just sold my g19. Thought about a g29 for my backpacking bear gun.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

trails4u
11-30-2020, 11:25 PM
Do they make one in walnut and blued steel?:kidding:

Idaho45guy
12-01-2020, 06:31 AM
Found some time to shoot it today, despite 40 mph wind gusts and rain. Couldn't help myself.

Didn't even bother trying to bench rest it since the wind was moving the target, so I just stapled some targets to the fence and shot at 7 yards, then backed up to 20 yards and shot some groups.

I like it!

Function was flawless, of course, and groups were impressive, despite the user-induced flyers.

First magazine shooting 13 rounds of cheap Winchester White Box 180gr FMJs...

Backed up to 20 yards and shot off-hand. Did three groups and they ranged from 3" to 4" with different loads. Best was this group using 200 grain Speer Gold Dots and 4.7 grains of Winchester 231.

When I can find time to get to the range again during decent weather, I'm sure I can get 2" or better at 25 yards with a rest and some more recipes.

Recoil was just fine and didn't seem any worse than my 9mm Glock.

Lloyd Smale
12-01-2020, 06:43 AM
if i could only own one pistol it would be a glock 23. I like the 19s too but the 40 would be much more capable of taking big game in a pinch. It small enough that is relatively concealable and big enough to be more then a 5 yard belly gun. Ive got two of them and two 22s and i dont any of them ever missing a beat that wasnt my own fault for loading errors. probably the best fighting handgun ever made. Strong words but deserved

Idaho45guy
12-01-2020, 07:01 AM
if i could only own one pistol it would be a glock 23. I like the 19s too but the 40 would be much more capable of taking big game in a pinch. It small enough that is relatively concealable and big enough to be more then a 5 yard belly gun. Ive got two of them and two 22s and i dont any of them ever missing a beat that wasnt my own fault for loading errors. probably the best fighting handgun ever made. Strong words but deserved

I'm a big fan of the .40 S&W and have been carrying Glocks since 1998 when I bought a G22. Yet I've never owned a G23, until now. No idea why not.

It does seem to be the perfect compromise between capacity and size.

I decided to buy a G23 months ago. But I couldn't decide between the Gen 4 and the Gen 5. I've handled the Gen 4 G23s and the finger grooves fit my hand perfectly. I like colored frames, and when I saw a Gen 4 in Olive Drab, I thought it was the coolest pistol ever, so I was scouring the internet for one all summer long. They were $600, if I could find one.

Meanwhile, I had my Gen 5 G19 MOS and it was a wonderful pistol. Felt perfect in the hand, the finish was better than my Gen 4 Glocks, the trigger was better, and the dang thing was plain old accurate. Put a red dot on it and got a 1" group at 25 yards.

So knowing that Glock used the same frame when designing the G23, it was tempting. But, the thicker slide was troubling. There were virtually no videos and only a couple of testimonies online regarding the new G23.

Gen 4 G23s are now going for stupid money, so I figured I might as well get the latest and greatest Glock for the same money. Glad I did. The extra slide width really isn't noticeable and it is a great feeling pistol.

I considered waiting for the different colored frame models to come out, but my anti-gun Governor just got re-elected, and he is promising more gun control, so I figured I better get one while they were still legal in Washington.

FergusonTO35
12-01-2020, 10:21 AM
Nice gun! You planning to try boolits in it?

Idaho45guy
12-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Nice gun! You planning to try boolits in it?

Probably not. I've shot them in my G35 match gun and accuracy was only so-so. I use them in my 10mm Glock for woods carry with good results.

EMC45
12-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Nice G23. I like them, the G27 not so much - they are super snappy to me.

Catshooter
12-02-2020, 02:34 AM
I agree, the 23, 27 and the 22 are all superb fighting weapons. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for woods work either, and have.

Cat

Petrol & Powder
12-02-2020, 07:16 AM
I have always been a fan of the G19, which of course is a 9mm. The G23 is essentially the same gun chambered in 40 S&W and it shares the same excellent traits of the G19.
I owned a Gen 4 G23 for a few years and it was an excellent gun. The Gen 5 models appear to be true improvements on an already excellent design.

Idaho45guy, I think you did well.

RJM52
12-02-2020, 10:30 AM
Sounds like a REAL accurate gun...and probably less recoil with the slightly heavier slide than previous 23s...

Was out yesterday and took all my Glocks with me...19, 23, 35, 40 and 44.

The 19/3 is bone stock with only the addition of TruGlo TFO tritium/FO sights...best combat sights I have ever seen on any gun.

23/3 is somewhat of a mis-match... Bought a complete unfired 23 upper off ebay to use on the 19. Then bought a Lone Wolf .357 SIG barrel to have a three caliber gun. Later found a brand new in the box 19/3 frame for $109.00 and mounted the 23 upper to it...then added a LW 9mm Conversion barrel for a dedicated three caliber gun. Trigger is not quite as good as the 19/3 but better than a lot of bone stock triggers I have tried.

Bought the 35/4 this spring for very short money. It was one of the first ones out that was not milled for the MOS...which was fine with me. Was like new in the box and the owner had thoughtfully put TruGlo TFO sights on it saving me the cost of doing so... Added a Lone Wolf .357 SIG barrel and a RemSport 9mm Conversion barrel...all three barrels shoot to the some POA at 25 yards... Only thing I hate about the 34/35 is the hole in the top of the slide...wish it was just solid like all the rest of the models are.

40...what a sweetheart... Added a Lone Wolf .357 SIG barrel and what a non-rcoiling LASER.... This one was also used with TFO sights. Zero issues with this gun...

44...waited till all the bugs were worked out and bought this one about two months ago...so for zero malfunctions with several different brands and weights of ammo. Bought the threaded barrel and zero issues with it either...

Have either owned (20, 21, 29, 34) or shot (17, 22, 26, 27, 30, 42, 43) most of the Glock models as many of the people I shoot with compete or carry them. Of all the models I really "LIKE" only one...the 19. Just the best balanced to me...

Bob

Catshooter
12-02-2020, 11:53 PM
Bob,

I do the three caliber think with some of my Glocks, but I go with 9mm, .40 & .45 GAP. I'm a sucker for a .45.

I have shot a G31 and you're right, what a laser. I was shooting at a 3/4 silhouette at 75 yards and kept missing. Then I realized I was shooting to POA which due to the distance I had about six inches high. As soon as I put the sights on the center she hit hit and hit. Nice.

Cat

Idaho45guy
12-03-2020, 12:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ5gQPQirBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmvEvbm8TBc

Lloyd Smale
12-03-2020, 07:44 AM
Do they make one in walnut and blued steel?:kidding:

why? you shooting it or putting it on the coffee table for your friends to see. Ive got a few 1911s and do like them but for real work ill take those black plastic things all day long. Why? Because you can shoot them ALL day long without worrying about oiling or cleaning them. They just go bang every time you pull the trigger. i used to be on the other side of this arguement and at one time had 12 1911s and wouldnt be caught dead with a glock. Now ive got 11 glocks and 3 1911s and add to that the other black guns like M&Ps, sigs i own and you could easily double that number. But my sunday go to meeting gun is still a 1911. Its a pretty little springfield emp in 40 smith. but thats the only 1911 i carry anymore. Cant see paying twice the money for steel and walnut when for half the price i can get a more reliable gun. Kind of like the porche guy sticking his nose up in the air at the vette driver as the vette driver blows him off the road.

RJM52
12-03-2020, 09:40 AM
The other day when I was shooting the 40 with the .357 barrel in it, the target at 23 yards was a 2/3s size IPSC steel silhouette target. Hit the target 8/10 times in the head and the two that missed were just into the body of the target just under the neck...

The first time I tried the 19 with the 23 upper and all the barrels, all three barrels shot to the same center of chest hold at 35 yards... Think I ran 5 rounds from each barrel and all three groups were overlapped...

I don't really find Glocks all that pleasant to shoot however in calibers over 9mm except the 40 with the .357 SIG barrel. Much prefer shooting 1911s in 10mm or .357 SIG than in the Glocks...

But as Lloyd said...these are work guns...