PDA

View Full Version : Convert old Pacific C press

jcw1970
12-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I've got an old Pacific press that has the shell holder built into the shaft. Anyone out there know if you can retro fit this to accept shell holders? I don't care about being able to use the primer arm just don't want to buy another press just for sizing boolits. I know you can get different shafts for this but i think they are few and far in between. the one i have is for 30-06.

dragonrider
12-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Should be able to, you would have to cut it back some in order the get the length correct with the shellholder installed.

imashooter2
12-13-2008, 02:31 AM
I have my Dad's old Pacific Super C. It came with rams cut for .38 and .45 and he later bought a ram for "standard" shell holders. I'll try to get a few pictures tomorrow.

imashooter2
12-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Here you go:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/ram2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/ram3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/ram4.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/ram1.jpg

jcw1970
12-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah, that's what I need. Only problem is finding one.

singleshot1
12-13-2008, 05:24 PM
JCW1970, go to e-bay under reloading equipment, presses. The newer type rams for the interchangable shellholders are listed from time to time. You might also check gunbroker and auctionarms. :Fire:Dave

imashooter2
12-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Yeah, that's what I need. Only problem is finding one.

LOL! Sorry guy, I thought you had machine tools available and were looking for configuration info. I think the rams are interchangeable for a variety of those old Pacific presses. You could lowball a bunch of them on eBay until one comes home.

Pressman
12-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Call RCBS or Huntington's. They both have replacement rams for a nominal cost. Far less than trying to remachine a shellholder ram.
Ken

1911sw45
12-14-2008, 01:19 AM
jcw1970, I got to rams one is RCBS #2 and Pacfic 300H&H your more than welcome to have just pay for shipping.

1911sw45

Pavogrande
12-14-2008, 03:06 AM
IF, it is a 7/8 ram I have a new in box RCBS replacement ram available - forget the part number

iflybeech
12-15-2008, 05:44 PM
I had mine done for like $15.00 at a local machine shop.
He cut off the old and put the slot in it to match a standard shell holder I gave him.
The length is not that critical since the dies are adjustable.
BILL

TAWILDCATT
12-15-2008, 06:40 PM
my post disappered. C&H4d.com has the ram for $21.:coffee:[smilie=1:

TNsailorman
12-15-2008, 11:45 PM
I just this past year bought a replacement ram from C-H Tool that allows the use of modern shellholders. Took me about two minutes to change the rams out and the new one is smoother than the old one. Shellholders snap in and out like my RCBS Rockchucker. Give them a call.

rrob311
12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
I too just converted my Pacific C press with the CH tool universal shaft. Mine has a slight amount of play in the shaft but it still works OK. I think whoever I emailed at CH said that the Pacific presses weren't known for tight tolerances.(maybe they thought these were junk presses) Does anyone on here know how to utilize a primer catcher and feeder on these presses? mine has the slot next to the die hole but there is nothing mounted. It also has a large primer arm on it but I am looking for something that will allow me to put a small primer arm on it. Do any other press brands have suitable tooling? Also, what does Boo-lits mean? cast or just any bullet?

Paul B
12-16-2008, 06:09 PM
You might want to try contacting Hornady. They're making all the Pacific stuff these days. I do have one of those old Pacific presses that is set up for interchangable shell holders but it doesn't have a spring clip tp hold the shell holder in place. Mine uses a very tiny Allen screw which was apparently made of mush as it stripped out were the Allen wrench went in. I'm not sure a ram from RCBS will fit.
I just checked, the ram on my Pacific is .80" and the RCBS 1.00"
Paul B.

AZ Pete
12-16-2008, 08:34 PM
I too just converted my Pacific C press with the CH tool universal shaft. Mine has a slight amount of play in the shaft but it still works OK. I think whoever I emailed at CH said that the Pacific presses weren't known for tight tolerances.(maybe they thought these were junk presses) Does anyone on here know how to utilize a primer catcher and feeder on these presses? mine has the slot next to the die hole but there is nothing mounted. It also has a large primer arm on it but I am looking for something that will allow me to put a small primer arm on it. Do any other press brands have suitable tooling? Also, what does Boo-lits mean? cast or just any bullet?

I seem to recall that my old Pacific C had a plastic cup around the base of the press (similar to a RCBS primer catcher, and, a rubber strap (streached over the gap that the primer feed arm pivots in). The rimer feed was the sam as the old RCBS, and I beleive it is interchangable with the old RCBS.

Irrespective of what some "expert" says about tolerances, I loaded ammo for my .270 that was just as concentric, and accurate, on my Pacific as I have been able to on my current Forster Co-Ax. The Co-Ax is just easier to use.

AZ Pete
12-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I seem to recall that my old Pacific C had a plastic cup around the base of the press (similar to a RCBS primer catcher, and, a rubber strap (streached over the gap that the primer feed arm pivots in). The rimer feed was the sam as the old RCBS, and I beleive it is interchangable with the old RCBS.

Irrespective of what some "expert" says about tolerances, I loaded ammo for my .270 that was just as concentric, and accurate, on my Pacific as I have been able to on my current Forster Co-Ax. The Co-Ax is just easier to use.
If you can't find anything further on the Pacific C, I will climb up into the attic and get it down for some pictures.

BTW, I have a universal ram that fits RCBS shell holders, and one of more caliber specific rams for the press.

mikenbarb
12-16-2008, 11:46 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/008-1.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/006-4.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/009-2.jpg

This may be to old of a Pacific press but this is what was original in the 40's as an option. Theres a primer catcher assy and a automatic priming assy on mine. A small brass cup hooks on the side of the primer catcher tray and catches them as they drop thru the bottom. Look at the price!

mikenbarb
12-16-2008, 11:49 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/007.jpg

imashooter2
12-17-2008, 01:19 AM
I seem to recall that my old Pacific C had a plastic cup around the base of the press (similar to a RCBS primer catcher, and, a rubber strap (streached over the gap that the primer feed arm pivots in).

That's how mine is. Throw the press mounted priming arm away and get a hand tool from Lee, RCBS or others. You'll never regret it.

Pressman
12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Ram Fits: The Pacific, C-H, Texan and nearly every brand of press using that style of linkage, both upstroke and down stroke, use the same ram. Early Lachmiller and Herter's presses are an exception except for their Rifleman model. Even RCBS used a Pacific ram as the shellholder in the Model B.
They are all the same diameter and thus interchangable. Manufacturing tolerances very widely and micrometer measurements will indicate that. But, they are completely interchangable.
Ken

Nefarious Cohort
12-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Wow, I was just given an Pacific C press with a coffee can full of rams but none of them are marked what shells they are for but as I was looking them over I wondered why the one had a ring cut around the outside top and rest didnt? Now I know, I just slid one of my lee shell holders in it for a perfect fit!

Now if I can only find that missing coffee can with all the meepos sizer dies in it I would be in good shape

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated

mikenbarb
12-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Imashooter, I would never dare throw away the primer system on that press. That is an original with both tubes and their about impossible to find. I dont use that press and its just a piece in my collection because its as complete as they came and missing nothing. I use a Lee hand primer in both styles, The multiple primers one and the old style single one that does one at a time. I also use a RCBS ram prime and love it.:-D

imashooter2
12-23-2008, 12:20 AM
LOL! Complete and hard to find junk is still junk. Presses are just tools to me, but if you like collecting, by all means, have at it! :)

mikenbarb
12-23-2008, 09:08 PM
LOL, Not junk at all and this one works great as long as its adjusted properly but I will agree that the tolerances arent like a Dillon but good for the 1930's. I just loaded fifty 30-30's today and not one problem with it. It was fun to use some old book stuff and I even used a adjustable metal powder scoop to charge the cases and a old Herters Perfect neck sizing die to neck size and seat the boolits because their for a bolt action Savage so I dont FL size them. I laugh everytime I pull that die out because its like 2 feet long when its fully extended with both stages. I even have 15 original neck sizing dies with it with 2 rods and 8 decappers/expanders. Its amazing that something that odd looking works so good.:D