PDA

View Full Version : 2nd FWFL

imashooter2
11-25-2020, 08:26 PM
I made a batch of FWFL several years ago. Really liked it, but most of my high volume boolits get the JPW/LLA treatment, so it has lasted me a long time. Recently cast up a bunch of .38 wadcutters and used the last of it. So I got out my fixin's and made up a full pound batch. I only had black carnauba wax off a cheese wheel and it turned the lube an unpleasant "off" color. Certainly functional, but ugly. So today I melted it back down and threw in a green Texas Roadhouse crayon. Not much change, so I added a second... and then a third. That looked right so I let it cool.

I just turned it out of the foil loaf pan I melted it in. Not sure what those roadhouse crayons were, but this is what I have...

http://www.imashooter2.com/pictures/green-fwfl.jpg

Winger Ed.
11-25-2020, 08:33 PM
I always thought crayons were mostly paraffin wax.

For practice, low speed handgun stuff, I used to melt down the kid's broken crayons,
add a few candle stumps if I had any, and thin it with motor oil.
Sure: It smoked, and stunk, but it worked fine.

Now days, the kids are gone, so I use scented candles, beeswax, and a little motor oil.
It still smokes, but smells better.

imashooter2
11-25-2020, 08:44 PM
I thought the same. But I’d expect paraffin to have blended right in.

rintinglen
11-30-2020, 03:28 PM
J E double L oh double good.

imashooter2
11-30-2020, 04:26 PM
I have a mini coffee pot I melt the lube in to pour in the sizer. I guess I’ll just cut that thin edge off the chunks I cut from the block. Looks to be about a 10% lesson.

TNsailorman
11-30-2020, 04:52 PM
When I was pan lubing, I used crayons to color my home made Emert's formula lube for my boolits.

imashooter2
11-30-2020, 11:57 PM
When I was pan lubing, I used crayons to color my home made Emert's formula lube for my boolits.

Did you ever get a layer like that?

TNsailorman
12-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Except for the color, I could not see any difference between the crayons lube and the non crayon lube. No, I never got a layered cake. james

Jniedbalski
12-02-2020, 12:17 PM
Could be the difference between soy based and paraffin based wax. Some crayons are now soy based

Charlie Horse
12-02-2020, 12:29 PM
I got in on a group batch of FWFL about ten years or so ago. (Maybe it was longer:shock:.) Still got some. Still use it. It still works, but anymore, the JPW/LLA gets used for most everything.