PDA

View Full Version : MP molds....man, that is fast!

Targa
11-25-2020, 08:19 AM
I decided to give hollow points a try so thought I would go with a MP 250grain .432 Larsen. I ordered this thing yesterday morning and received notice last night that the mold was on the way. That is Amazon prime fast. My first MP mold, hopefully it is as good as I keep reading about.

Petander
11-25-2020, 10:36 AM
Good molds. Fast shipping. Not so good email communication.

If it's brass, be patient and do the hot plate heat cycle voodoo first. Let cool in between 3-4 times.

You will then get good bullets in ten minutes. I heat my molds assembled with the pins in.

Now you made me want that Larsen I've been fighting...

Targa
11-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Thank you for the tip, yeh I have a brass Arsenal mold and found the heat cycling to be very helpful. They had the Larsen for 20% off. A 4 cavity, hollow point brass mold for a $117...I had to give that a try. I got it gas checked with the plan of running softer, hollow point lead through my revolvers while my rifle will get harder lead with the flat point over 296/H110.

Gunslinger1911
11-25-2020, 04:32 PM
You will love an MP mould !
And the shipping Miha uses now is great. I got a mould 5 days after ordering it.
And second the heat cycling - I also boil/scrub in a Dawn bath first.
The heat cycling is tough, I wanna make boolets !!!!
Got a mould on a Friday, While I was casting Sat morning I heat cycled the mould (added a fan to speed thing up), 3 cycles in 3 hours. lol

Petander
11-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Thank you for the tip, yeh I have a brass Arsenal mold and found the heat cycling to be very helpful. They had the Larsen for 20% off. A 4 cavity, hollow point brass mold for a $117...I had to give that a try. I got it gas checked with the plan of running softer, hollow point lead through my revolvers while my rifle will get harder lead with the flat point over 296/H110.

Hot dang exactly my reasons. I don't need a GC 44 but I want to try very soft bullets because pure / range scrap is available. I treasure my WW stash by now...

One more tip, brakeleen wash first,then water/dish soap. Then heat.

Petander
11-26-2020, 07:46 AM
I couldn't help it,ordered a Larsen 44 GC.

Crazy fast.

https://i.postimg.cc/nzhdtJWd/IMG-20201126-134130-543.jpg

Targa
11-26-2020, 09:25 AM
Very Nice !!! :guntootsmiley:

Mal Paso
11-26-2020, 10:02 AM
I decided to give hollow points a try so thought I would go with a MP 250grain .432 Larsen. I ordered this thing yesterday morning and received notice last night that the mold was on the way. That is Amazon prime fast. My first MP mold, hopefully it is as good as I keep reading about.

Actually that's faster than amazon's current speed.

This particular mold requires sizing the bullets smaller than the throats of your revolver. It may also present chambering issues in rifles. The 432-640 is another Excellent RNFP Hollowpoint that will chamber in most anything without work.

The Advantage in the Larsen is that, when chambered in a revolver, the front full diameter drive band is inside the chamber throat. No jump to throat, no misalignment possible. I want to see if it beats the 640.

Let us know if you need more info.

Targa
11-26-2020, 10:32 AM
Good info, thank you!! I will post how it works out for me in my Rossi 92 as well.

Petander
11-26-2020, 02:27 PM
The Advantage in the Larsen is that, when chambered in a revolver, the front full diameter drive band is inside the chamber throat. No jump to throat, no misalignment possible. I want to see if it beats the 640.

Let us know if you need more info.

Thank you.

Yes this fit thing is one of my reasons for "needing" a Larsen. I've read about it and It looks like a 420 grain LBT 500 I have, with a super fit in a stock S&W 500.

Targa
11-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Well my mold was delivered about an hour ago...3 days, that just flat out impresses me.