PDA

View Full Version : Two tenths of a grain more.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-24-2020, 02:27 PM
My Lee Auto Pro Disk powder measure has been working wonderfully. I'm getting good consistency with most powders. Unique of course has the most variation. Today I was aiming for 6.6 grains of HS-6 for a 9mm load but the specified .46 cc hole was dropping 6.4 grains. Used my dremel and then some 200 grit sand paper to enlarge the hole slightly. I worked on the side of the hole away from the drop tube so the wiper would strike off the new edge cleanly. Worked nicely and I hit 6.6 right on after 3 tries. Just thought I'd pass that along for other users.

sghart3578
11-24-2020, 02:41 PM
I have done this to several of my disks. I then mark the outside of the hole on the rim with an "M" in finger nail polish.

Works great.

Steve in N CA

Conditor22
11-24-2020, 02:58 PM
Charlie, what boolit are you putting in front of 6.6 grains of HS-6 and what are you shooting it out of? I've been getting 1/2" groups with 6 grains under a lee 356-125 rn sized to .358 apr 12 bhn in my Sig.

BTw I have yet to have an out disk drop the weight specified in lee's sheet :(

country gent
11-24-2020, 03:16 PM
Another easy way is go to the next bigger and line with tape to size down, the tape can be removed if the original size is ever needed.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-24-2020, 05:32 PM
Charlie, what boolit are you putting in front of 6.6 grains of HS-6 and what are you shooting it out of? I've been getting 1/2" groups with 6 grains under a lee 356-125 rn sized to .358 apr 12 bhn in my Sig.

BTw I have yet to have an out disk drop the weight specified in lee's sheet :(

Same boolit, .358 and 12.5 bhn. OAL is 1.120" S&W M&P 2. Had the barrel throated by Doug. Also have an apex barrel for j words. The Hodgdon #26 list 6.4 as a starting load and 6.8 as max. Nice to be able to seat out further as the feeding is slicker too.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Another easy way is go to the next bigger and line with tape to size down, the tape can be removed if the original size is ever needed.

That is a dandy idea!

Conditor22
11-25-2020, 02:23 PM
thanks CC

BUFFALOW RED
11-25-2020, 05:09 PM
i use the double stack Lee with adjustable 2nd stack dial in perfectly

NyFirefighter357
11-25-2020, 10:41 PM
I have several sets of extra disks, so I can fine tune what I want. I also have the adjustable micro-meter. You can also drill & tap your disks for a set screw to make adjustments.

https://i.imgur.com/g6ynBhn.jpg

TCoggins
11-25-2020, 10:41 PM

Another idea is to use the next size up, drill and tap through the side, into the cavity,for a 1/4-28 set screw, and turn the set screw in or out to adjust the powder charge. Once you have the charge dialed in, put a little fingernail polish on the threads to lock them.

TCoggins
11-25-2020, 10:42 PM
Well, looks like NYfirefighter beat me to the punch.

tomme boy
11-26-2020, 03:26 AM
Use the one that is a little lite and then tap the powder measure before the charge is dropped. I have to do this with several powders to get an accurate charge.

country gent
11-26-2020, 12:32 PM
I also picked up a few discs at a gun show in a box if goodies. When I come on a load that is proven and no disc can be found for it. Ill seal the bottom of a cavity with tape. fill the cavity with JB weld clean up top and bottom when cured then drill out to charge weight. This makes a permanent exact cavity

onelight
11-26-2020, 12:39 PM
I have spare disks , and use a tapered t handle reamer to adjust if needed

Springfield
11-26-2020, 01:27 PM
The trouble with the set screw idea is that the powder will not fill the same all time under the set screw unless you tap the measure or have some sort if vibratory thing going on. Straight holes work best, in my experience with shotgun presses. The tapered reamer seems like a good idea, if you make the top the large end.

Mike Kerr
11-26-2020, 01:49 PM
Some good ideas here. When I used the disks some years back I just "custom" reamed them to suit my needs then marked the charge hole so I could remember when using a different powder or cartridge that the hole was not still at " factory " diameter. Worked OK.

country gent
11-26-2020, 03:22 PM
I find bringing to size with a taper pin reamer aids the consistency of the throws a lot. the taper big to smaller seems help with a good fill.

jetinteriorguy
11-27-2020, 08:37 AM
I find bringing to size with a taper pin reamer aids the consistency of the throws a lot. the taper big to smaller seems help with a good fill.

Yup, this works great. Very easy to just gradually work up to a slightly larger charge without over doing it. I do mark any modified cavities underneath with a silver marker and segregate these discs from others to avoid confusion. I also have multiple sets of discs and once modified they are good for no hassle pistol loads.