PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Case - need help

West Creek
12-28-2005, 10:25 AM
MY freind who is starting to learn how to reload got a 30-06 case stuck in his die - pulled the base off the case and now has everything but the case head stuck in his die.

Tried pounding it out with a rod and knocked the base off completely

Any ideas on how to get it out???

Thanks

imashooter2
12-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Pick up an edge of the base nearest the head with a scribe or ice pick being careful not to scratch the die. Grab the edge with a pair of needle nose pliers and twist the case up like a sardine can lid.

Or send it back to the manufacturer to be removed with no danger to the die.

Lee
12-28-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't suppose a little penetrating oil would hurt, either.
Back to basics. Did you lube the cases before you started???
Even lubed, I've had several cases almost become stuck during the sizing process
Found that a little lube on/in the die doesn't hurt either.
Perhaps a little penetrating oil, then a short trip in the oven, set to maybe 150 degrees, to assist the oils action???
I dunno, I'm just throwing out some thoughts. Good luck.............Lee ;-)

Lee W
12-28-2005, 07:55 PM
I need to read the whole post before I reply.

yammerschooner
12-28-2005, 08:14 PM
I need to read the whole post before I reply.

Lee W, that has got to be one of the funniest reasons for editing a post that I have read in a long time. Thanks for the humor.

trk
12-28-2005, 09:51 PM
MY freind who is starting to learn how to reload got a 30-06 case stuck in his die - pulled the base off the case and now has everything but the case head stuck in his die.

Tried pounding it out with a rod and knocked the base off completely

Any ideas on how to get it out???

Thanks

Your best option is to send it back; but if you really want to remove it you can use a stuck case removing tool - for .30-06 or .308. This happens not infrequently with machine guns and you can pick up a surplus tool made for just occasions.

Beau Cassidy
12-28-2005, 11:32 PM
I tried Kroil once in a .30/06 die. Let it sit for a year or two. Didn't work. I finally just sent it back and got a new one from RCBS.

Beau

stocker
12-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Soak it in Kroil over night and try a large E-Z out and a big wrench. It's worked for me and what have you got to lose?

David R
12-29-2005, 06:58 AM
I have tried heat, freezing, stuck case removers, and every other thing. Send it back to RCBS or just buy a new die. Twice I figured "I can get it out" Twice I ruined the die.

David

mag_01
12-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Just my 2 cents-- I have removed them by working out the neck area with a pick type steel tool bending it into the mididle and driving it out from the top good luck also a stuck case remover may be ur ans. 30 cal will fit quite a few----Mag

Note to use a stuck case remover get it up into the case and expand it then drive it out from top -works for me as well--- also comes in handy at range if u happen to get a case seperation----U shoot long enough it will happen---Mag

Polish the inside of ur die when ur done---I use 3 m rubing compound mid cut (grit)

West Creek
12-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey Guys

thanks for the ideas - I talked to my freind last night and he bought a new die already. Sounds like a good solution - although sending it back to rcbs would be a little cheaper

Thanks
West Creek

beagle
12-29-2005, 08:11 PM
I beleive the key to removal is to stop before you get into trouble. I've done this several times and popped them in the freezer for 30 minutes and got them out like that.

On the ones that I lost my head over and messed with first, I dropped on my machinist friend. He turns the case off even and then dials in the opening and grinds the case down to a very thin base. Then, it usually peels right out.

Still, its a PITA and something we all get caught on occasionally./beagle

KCSO
12-29-2005, 09:51 PM
I have removed several stuck cases. I use a modified single line graver sharpened to cut from the front and not against the inside of the die. The graver blank cost me $9 and it takes about an hour of patient work to slit the case and work a dull point under it, fold the case and remove it. Since I charge $17.50 an hour for service work most folks just buy a new die. The only reason I still have this tool is that I may stick another case some day and then I can go hide in the shop, dig out the case and not have to admit my error.

versifier
12-29-2005, 11:08 PM
West,
Nothing's stopping you from sending it back yourself. Cheap enough and it never hurts to have a spare. You never know when it might come in handy. I myself have gotten preoccupied once or twice (maybe three times) and forgot to roll a case on the ooze pad. With an extra, you can finish loading before you d&t the gd case to pull it out. Or you could try one or two of the suggestions and remove the case yourself - you've lost nothing if it doesn't work, and if the die isn't trashed, you can still send it back after that.

NVcurmudgeon
12-29-2005, 11:31 PM
I guess I've been luckier than some with stuck cases. When I stuck my first case, thirty years +/- ago, I tried all the homemade tricks and loused up the die. I then bought a new die and an RCBS stuck case remover (SCR.) Since then I have had occasion to use the SCR two or three times and it works easily and damage-free. This simple tool is relatively inexpensive, or can be assembled from easily obtainable parts; drill, tap, bolt, collar, and Allen wrench. Truth is, I haven't got a case stuck since I began to always remove the shell holder after loading. I can notice a missing shellholder, but not a too-large wrong one until it is too late.

njmj
12-30-2005, 10:08 AM
West Creek,
I once had a case head seperation in a Rem. 700 30-06. Was upstate Pa. deer hunting. Town folk sent me to an old gunsmith? Pulled the bolt and clamped the rifle in a vise. He had a 1/8" pipe tap silver soldered to a 3/8 square drive extension. Went in through the back and tapped into the case stuck in the chamber. Once he felt he had enough engagement between the tap and the stuck case he ran a cleaning rod in through the muzzle and up against the front of the tap and knocked the case out. Between clamping my BDL in the vise and running a tap into my chamber I didn't know whether to s--t or go blind. Amazingly everything came out fine.
You don't need an extension for your job but a 1/8 pipe tap will work. Just thread it in and use whatever you did to blow the bottom of the case off to push against the tap inside the case and it will come out. HTH, Marshall

fourarmed
01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
And in the future, just drill out the primer pocket with the appropriate drill and thread it with a 1/4x20 or 1/4x28 tap. Stack some washers around it, and run in a hex head bolt. It'll pull it right out.

Ross
01-03-2006, 11:40 PM
When I had a headless case stuck I poured a Cerrosafe chamber cast and drove it out from the front.
If you don't have access to either a base web or the front of the die, KCSO and mag_101's dodge will work easily enough. Buckle and kink the sidewall of the case and it will slide out easily. That is how I got a .303 Savage case out of a .30-30 M'94 Winchester tool.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Chuck 100 yd
01-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Cerrosafe trick is a good one, I got a seperated case out of my .32-40 that way and really saved the day. Good luck!

lar45
01-14-2006, 05:19 AM
And in the future, just drill out the primer pocket with the appropriate drill and thread it with a 1/4x20 or 1/4x28 tap. Stack some washers around it, and run in a hex head bolt. It'll pull it right out.

Exactly. You should make up a small kit so you have it all on hand and won't have to try other things when you pull the rim off one at 11:00 at night.

I picked up a drill and tap package for 1/4-20, a cheap Tee handle and an old socket from a Taiwan cheapie set. Get one that will sit on the edge of the die base and let the case go in the middle. Then get an assorment of 1/4-20 grade 8 bolts and put it all in a zip lock baggie for later.

Step 1: Drill the primer pocket out
Step 2: Tap the drilled out hole
Step 3: put socket over die base and thread bolt into the new hole.
Step 4: Use 7/16 wrench to turn the bolt until the case pops out.

The hardest part is getting the case over the expander button.
After getting the case unstuck, I thread the die back into the press and then slip the case back into the shell holder. Then use the press to pull the case down over the expander button.

It works great. You should try it first before you need it. Take the decapper pin out of the die. Then take a clean dry case, set it on top of the shell holder and push it up into the die till it won't go anymore.
You'll be surprized how easy it slowly pulls the case out.

C1PNR
01-14-2006, 06:33 PM
I now have a new set of RCBS 220 Swift dies after sticking one in my Brother's die. I did just about everything wrong after sticking it, including using the RCBS Stuck Case remover (broke it, too - did I mention I'm really good with tools!).

I've put this in my "Good Ideas" list for the next time I stick a case. Maybe I can look like I know something.;-)

This ought to be in the "Shop Tips" stickie.

Flash
01-29-2006, 12:10 AM
I had to do just what Ross did but instead used linotype. After filling the case half full with metal, it pushed out nicely.