PDA

View Full Version : My ongoing quest for a 'perfect for me' 327 rifle

JohnSmiles
11-22-2020, 09:39 PM
Some of you have seen some of my posts asking questions and posing options to get a custom 327 federal rifle made.
I have considered stubbing a handi, rebarreling a 340 savage, a Ruger M77 or even a highly figured Ruger #1.
So far, I have acquired all the dies to reload all 5 of the cartridges this would accommodate.
I have also acquired a Beretta Tomcat in 32 acp, another gun I have wanted for some time now.
Today in the mail I received 200 Hornady 32 ACP cases, 100 Starline 32 magnum and 100 Starline 327 Federal.
I have plenty of primers, and have some other brass and bullets coming soon.
And man I looked FOREVER to find what I did!!!
I also put my name down on the current .312 mold group buy.
I have plenty of 2400, Unique, Blue Dot and Lil'gun, which should cover all 5 cartridges.
I have acquired everything BUT the rifle I want.
Now, here is the question I should have asked to begin with:

To all of those experienced in such things(I am not), if you wanted to have a 327 rifle made, in either a bolt action, break open or falling block, with fancy wood and good potential accuracy, crisp trigger(or even double set triggers) and a fairly decent scope, with a total price tag of $1500 or less, what gun would you start with, why, what barrel would you choose and who would you trust to do the work?
All suggestions are welcome.
As are any reasons NOT to use any of the actions I listed as potential projects.
Thanks,
John

rking22
11-22-2020, 10:08 PM
I would be looking for something that fit the scale of the 327, size and weight. Wonder if a Remington 591 would be long enough? I have a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet, that would make a nice one, might even get it to feed. The TC Contender carbine is the obvious first and most economical option. Most all the other break opens, HR, Henry, and even the TCR84 are just too big and bulky for my tastes in this. Doing the work to a 340 kinda falls into the category of custom leather interior in a Vega. The 340 was a fine cheap rifle, but that’s not what you are building.

dtknowles
11-22-2020, 10:15 PM
I would think this calls for a baby rolling block. A real baby modeled after the #4. I would want the smaller lighter action. Uberti makes one but not in 32. I like actions that don't have an under lever and don't break open. I don't like to have to reposition on the bags between shots when shooting from a bench. It you don't need a repeater then a rolling block will be lighter than any bolt gun and shorter and handier too.

Tim

elmacgyver0
11-22-2020, 10:23 PM
Perhaps something along the lines of this.271938

dverna
11-22-2020, 10:38 PM
John,
First I wish to apologize for being a bit too frank on your original post. Must be cabin fever.

I am struggling with a similar desire, but mine is for an accurate.357 rifle. It seems the Ruger 77 has not been very accurate so be cautious of taking that route

I have a Howa mini-Mauser in .223 and that may be a possibility. Maybe one of the little CZ rifles. Not sure if the magazines can be made to work but I am ok with making it a single shot. I know the mini-Mausers will shoot. And they are light.

I have been trying to find a Martini action but none are reasonably priced. I shot a Martini International many years ago in small bore and it was superbly accurate with a sweet trigger.

I will follow your journey with interest.

Again sorry for being blunt and good luck!

Captain Wheelgun
11-22-2020, 10:59 PM
Back when I first started looking at doing this, one of the ideas I kicked around was starting with a Ruger American in .223, the older version with the rotary magazine, not the one that takes AR magazines.

My thought on that was that since the rotary mag holds each round separately, it may be able to feed .327 length rounds OK. I doubt it would work with shorter rounds, though. At worst, it would work as a single-shot.

Now that I have some experience with the Ruger American, (in 7.62x39), I still think this would be a workable option. I really like that rifle design.

NoZombies
11-22-2020, 11:14 PM
A Stevens #44-1/2 would be a nice one, but would require careful shopping for a donor to keep to the budget. A small frame Uberti rolling block, or a Martini Cadet could be nice as well. The Ruger #1 would also be a careful shopping endeavor, but probably doable with patience.

What the smith charges and what barrel blank you choose will also be major factors in the budget as well. Smith's are all over the place price-wise for this kind of work, as are barrel blanks.

Depending on how you want to use the rifle, some actions might be better than others as well, so that should be a consideration.

Nueces
11-23-2020, 10:32 AM
I like the idea of a custom 327. It's one of two possible futures for my old Savage 219 with a worn 22 Hornet bore, the other being a 25-35.

Used to have a Uberti baby rolling block carbine in 357, which, as Tim said above, would have made a dandy 327. None of these donor rifles are easy to locate any more.

Bent Ramrod
11-23-2020, 11:48 AM
The Cadet Martini is well-scaled to the .327 cartridge size, but getting those smaller cartridges into the chamber under a close-mount scope might be a challenge. A lower-power IER or Scout scope, mounted down the barrel, would help here.

A better action for convenience would be the Winchester LowWall. Strong enough, and easy to get any cartridge in and out, even a .22 Short, under a telescope sight. For many years, this was our “best” easily available single shot action, as they were relatively common and much lower priced compared to a HighWall or Stevens 44-1/2. Prices have gone up, and availability down, over the years, but they still show up. Aftermarket parts, like SST and DST trigger subassemblies and levers (and the actions themselves, for that matter) are available from several new manufacturers as well. People also make partial-inlet stock blanks in any grade of wood for the model.

Barrels; I don’t know. The only .32 for me is the .32-20. I typically line the shot-out Winchester barrels that come on wrecked LowWalls with TJ’s liners. I think they’re 0.312” groove for .32-20. I don’t know what the .327 groove diameter is.

JoeJames
11-23-2020, 12:15 PM
The Cadet Martini is well-scaled to the .327 cartridge size, but getting those smaller cartridges into the chamber under a close-mount scope might be a challenge. A lower-power IER or Scout scope, mounted down the barrel, would help here.

A better action for convenience would be the Winchester LowWall. Strong enough, and easy to get any cartridge in and out, even a .22 Short, under a telescope sight. For many years, this was our “best” easily available single shot action, as they were relatively common and much lower priced compared to a HighWall or Stevens 44-1/2. Prices have gone up, and availability down, over the years, but they still show up. Aftermarket parts, like SST and DST trigger subassemblies and levers (and the actions themselves, for that matter) are available from several new manufacturers as well. People also make partial-inlet stock blanks in any grade of wood for the model.

Barrels; I don’t know. The only .32 for me is the .32-20. I typically line the shot-out Winchester barrels that come on wrecked LowWalls with TJ’s liners. I think they’re 0.312” groove for .32-20. I don’t know what the .327 groove diameter is.

I know I am fighting against the waves, but I would be interested in a decent single shot in either 32 S&W Long, or 32-20. But with the waves going from 32 H&R Magnum to .327, thence on to something else that is 1/10" longer than that next time; I figure there is not a chance at all.

Outpost75
11-23-2020, 01:08 PM
I would consider converting a 580-series Remington .22 bolt action to center-fire. The action is quite strong enough and the .22 LR barrel can easily be relined. Requires making a new bolt head and firing pin, fitting suitable extractor on the new bolt head.

Green Frog
11-23-2020, 01:56 PM
If I were going to the trouble and expense of building a “dream gun” for the 327 FM, I would seek out a Ruger #3 carbine, preferably a 45-70, which is a total non-starter as an actual shooting gun. I would order a 223 extractor from Ruger or one of the parts dealers and a premium barrel in .313 bore diameter from Douglas, then put it all together. Alternatively, I might order a pre-profiled octagon barrel from Green Mountain instead of the Douglas unturned blank to save a step. The end product with original wood would be nicely scaled for the caliber, and as with my 327 revolvers I could shoot everything from 32 S&W (“short”) to 327 FM in the same chamber.

Froggie

NoZombies
11-23-2020, 05:13 PM
I would consider converting a 580-series Remington .22 bolt action to center-fire. The action is quite strong enough and the .22 LR barrel can easily be relined. Requires making a new bolt head and firing pin, fitting suitable extractor on the new bolt head.

The 580 action might end up being a little bit short, as the bolt stroke is only 1.350" and while you could probably elongate that to a hair over 1.5" in the milling machine, you'd also have to enlarge the ejection port, as it's only 1.500" and the barrel impinges upon that a hair. It would be a very tight fit. Then the receiver really should also be threaded, as the slip fit/cross pin arrangement won't stand up to much abuse, as I found out with one in a .32 based wildcat with significantly less bolt face thrust than factory .327 ammo.

It could be done, and would yield a very light and handy rifle, but it would be a lot more work than some of the other discussed conversions, and even with the extra work would limit you in cartridge OAL.

JohnSmiles
11-23-2020, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the input guys.
Of course now I have even more ideas to mull over! lol
I have noticed, in researching this, that some are using a .308 barrel blank instead of .312.
I want to use the .312 bore, just for peace of mind. And not many suppliers for that particular bore that I have seen.
But like I say, I am patient.
And still looking for names of who you would trust and vouch for to do the actual work when the time comes.
John

JohnSmiles
11-23-2020, 07:25 PM
John,
First I wish to apologize for being a bit too frank on your original post. Must be cabin fever.

I am struggling with a similar desire, but mine is for an accurate.357 rifle. It seems the Ruger 77 has not been very accurate so be cautious of taking that route

I have a Howa mini-Mauser in .223 and that may be a possibility. Maybe one of the little CZ rifles. Not sure if the magazines can be made to work but I am ok with making it a single shot. I know the mini-Mausers will shoot. And they are light.

I have been trying to find a Martini action but none are reasonably priced. I shot a Martini International many years ago in small bore and it was superbly accurate with a sweet trigger.

I will follow your journey with interest.

Again sorry for being blunt and good luck!

No problems here, but thanks.
What is meant is often lost in translation anytime you reply to someone on a forum.
Quite often I come off as far more direct than I intended to be when I reply to someone.
Unless it is political.....then rest assured I mean exactly what I type...lol

SSGOldfart
11-23-2020, 09:25 PM
I'm thinking more along the line of a TC Contender in 327 or 32 Magnum. MGM can make the barrel in .315 or .312.[smilie=s: yep more to think about.:shock:

ulav8r
11-23-2020, 10:42 PM
https://www.cparifles.com/pages/cpa-44-1-2-action Would be in your price range only if you used a Green Mountain barrel blank, a no cost stock blank, and did all the work yourself.

NikA
11-23-2020, 11:53 PM
I too have considered options for a .327 FM rifle. Two have floated to the top: as previously mentioned, a Martini Cadet (specifically, the takedown, which will minimize the pain of a barrel swap), and a Ruger 77/22H. I believe a surplus SKS barrel can be rechambered to .327 FM and will have sufficient meat when the previous chamber is removed to allow use in the Cadet; bore/groove diameter is a question mark for surplus barrels but should be nominally correct. I investigated the Ruger 77/22H as the cartridge dimensions are very similar, and even went through the trouble of purchasing a magazine to see if the .327 FM case would fit; alas, with no taper the feed lips would need to be modified in a non-trivial fashion. Still, the 77/22H should have the right dimensions elsewhere, so it could easily be turned into a single shot while feeding was figured out.

Re: other barrel options, there were a number of .30 and .303 caliber blanks on closeout from Sarco this year that would cover both bore options for the .327.

JohnSmiles
11-24-2020, 06:38 PM
https://www.cparifles.com/pages/cpa-44-1-2-action Would be in your price range only if you used a Green Mountain barrel blank, a no cost stock blank, and did all the work yourself.

Whoa....nice!

rockrat
11-25-2020, 11:15 AM
I would look at a barrel for a Contender first as that would be the easiest, second would be a Ruger #1. Tim at Malcolm Ballistic Tools re-barreled my #1 and did a great job. Third would be a Thompson TCR ('83 has double set triggers) and have "Assassin" here do a stub job on it. Don't forget the Handi for a stub job too. I am thinking of going that route.

dtknowles
11-25-2020, 01:24 PM
I would look at a barrel for a Contender first as that would be the easiest, second would be a Ruger #1. Tim at Malcolm Ballistic Tools re-barreled my #1 and did a great job. Third would be a Thompson TCR ('83 has double set triggers) and have "Assassin" here do a stub job on it. Don't forget the Handi for a stub job too. I am thinking of going that route.

I don't like any of those options because they are either break actions or have an underlever.

Tim

country gent
11-25-2020, 01:47 PM
What I would recommend and actually do with these projects is start with a pencil and paper. Sit down and list the uses for the rifle, intended ranges, and size of critters if hunting. Next list possible rifle actions.Type make model style. List available barrels, here dont scrimp its the heart. next list the sights available and other parts available. Now research everything and reduce the list to what you want and can afford.

As to actions c sharps sell a low wall and high wall bare action. matini cadets make a nice light litte rifle, A rolling block. There are many out there. Another way to stretch you dollar is a used rifle for the base. Here the stock may even be reused for awhile

Get everything down on paper and plan it thru before starting it. Then talk to gunsmith about it and get his ideas. then Order the parts yourself. have everything ready to go when you take it to smith, this saves him the time of ordering parts and waiting on them.

ulav8r
11-26-2020, 12:27 AM
272109 Built as a pistol here, but could be built as a rifle. Saved from the Home Gunsmithing forum about eight years ago. Lots of pictures but no drawings. It is a falling block but without a lever to open the block. Just push the block down with your thumb. Could add a lever or just a hook or loop on the bottom of the block to make it a little easier to open. Would require a mill and lathe, though a mexican mill (drill and files) would do if you were a patient person.

Found the thread, this page shows the beginning of the breech block. It has ears on the bottom to grasp to pull the block down. It is a 19 page thread about a 22 Hornet build. There is another thread by the same builder about a 38 Special rifle build on the similar design action, I may find it a little later.

Can't see a way to delete the attached thumbnail.

quail4jake
11-26-2020, 12:55 AM
I agree with Mr. Knowles, this screams rolling block! How about a Win. 1873 .327 instead of .357? How would one alter the magazine? bushing?....Marlin 1891 in .32 RF / CF altered to .327. Maybe not, weak lockup.

scotth
11-30-2020, 08:54 PM
if we are talking custom i all ways thought the freedom arms model 2008 in a carbine rifle would make a nice small light weight rifle.

ulav8r
12-01-2020, 01:12 AM
272422 You might want to add a forearm or make some other changes.

rking22
12-01-2020, 01:17 AM
Oh, that looks NICE! Light and tiny, I like it.

W.R.Buchanan
12-07-2020, 03:56 PM
I don't know who put out that the Ruger77/357's were not accurate? The only Review I have seen that I would trust is the one from Brian Pearce of Rifle Magazine and both the .357 and .44 mags produced MOA accuracy at 75 yards with iron sights. These guns are 125-150 yard guns max and so would a .327 Fed be as well. Plus that Brian and his sons actually know how to shoot,,, so their results with any gun are going to be about as good as you could expect.

I think the easiest way to make this project happen would be to use a 77/.357 and re-barrel it, and rework the bolt face. The Magazine would probably work just fine, and you'd be up and running in less time and money than any other route I can conceive of.

I have wanted one of the 77/44's for some time but just never got around to getting one. A Red Dot Sight would be my choice of an optic for that gun due to the range limitations of the cartridges and the fact that I can hit out to 300 yards with all of my .223 Carbines with Red Dots installed. Hitting a man sized target at 200 yards with a Bolt Action Rifle in .327,.357,or .44 mags would not be that hard a shot after you had the Trajectory sussed out.

I can see a definite use for a gun like this. You just have to decide how you want to do it.

I'd get a stainless one so it'd be weather proof!

Randy.