PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic case forming

abunaitoo
11-22-2020, 06:21 PM
Watched a utube on hydraulic case forming.
Looks simple enough.
Can a normal full length die be used to do it????
Would have to make the top part, but that looks easy enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCqb_7UYh9k

Huvius
11-25-2020, 01:36 PM
I would think so.
Just replace the primer ejector rod with a threaded bushing.
Their special shell holder doesn't have a hole through it so you'd need to figure that out. Probably a thin flat metal piece under the case would suffice or one could plug it with something from the top.
I'm actually thinking of this very thing to pop Berdan primers. The way I do it now, without a die, works on about 50% of the cases but some with very tight primers blow out quite a bit at the shoulder. Just need to set up a bench and press somewhere where the water won't get on anything.

Stephen Cohen
11-25-2020, 07:03 PM
would imagine seating a used primer would solve the leakage at base. Regards Stephen

Huvius
11-25-2020, 10:34 PM
would imagine seating a used primer would solve the leakage at base. Regards Stephen

The primer will blow out from the pressure.
You need to have the primer but also supported underneath to keep it in place.

GONRA
11-26-2020, 10:15 PM
Huvius: Just for a data point, 9mm Berdan primers will blow out of 14.5x114mm Soviet water filled LCS fired cases with a closely fitting punch and nice WAP! with a hammer.

Mk42gunner
11-27-2020, 01:29 AM
This may be a stupid idea; but what about countersinking a standard shell holder, then just dropping a flathead machine screw in the hole? I don't think it would even need to be threaded in place.

As I've heard many times: if the idea is stupid, but works, then it isn't a stupid idea.

Robert

M-Tecs
11-27-2020, 01:53 AM
Huvius: Just for a data point, 9mm Berdan primers will blow out of 14.5x114mm Soviet water filled LCS fired cases with a closely fitting punch and nice WAP! with a hammer.

The Efemes power punch berdan decapper used a boxer primer to remover berdan. I have a could in my collection. Cool but not cost effective.

Pic's here https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/299458-power-punch/

kokomokid
11-27-2020, 11:25 AM
Tried thickest feeler gauge that would go between case and shell holder. Used primer went right through the feeler gauge. My fix was to get Vickerman die to make me a custom shell holder with no primer relief hole. Works ok for 6mm dasher.

DocSavage
11-27-2020, 06:13 PM
Get the appropriate shell holder have it tapped and use a set srew to plug the hole,a drop of blue loctite should hold it in place.

Huvius
11-28-2020, 11:01 AM
This may be a stupid idea; but what about countersinking a standard shell holder, then just dropping a flathead machine screw in the hole? I don't think it would even need to be threaded in place.

I'm sure that would do it.

17nut
11-28-2020, 11:10 AM
I'm sure that would do it.
Except shell holders are as hard as my girlfriends heart!!!

kokomokid
11-28-2020, 07:16 PM
Except shell holders are as hard as my girlfriends heart!!!

Had thought about heating a shell holder cherry red and slow cooling in a can of fireplace ashes.

abunaitoo
12-01-2020, 01:56 AM
I get a cheap Lee shell holder and braze up the primer hole.
Done it a few times.

GONRA
12-02-2020, 06:37 PM
M-Tecs - GONRA remembers their SGN ads. Never got one though.....