PDA

View Full Version : Turkey recipe help

Half Dog
11-21-2020, 06:58 PM
I’ve seen many “Best turkey recipes” on the internet but I haven’t seen a place where you can say what you like and get a recipe that will resemble the flavor.
My family are picky eaters but I’m not. We do like BBQ and smoked meats and the BBQ flavors. I am wanting to ask if y’all can share a turkey recipe that that will have a hickory flavor, brine and all. I am wanting to cook a turkey on a pellet grill.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Winger Ed.
11-21-2020, 07:11 PM
I do the normal season it & roasting thing; but then take 2-3 pounds of thick cut bacon,
weave it tightly like Grandma did the top of pie crusts, and wrap the entire outside of the bird with it.

Hadn't had any complaints yet.

William Yanda
11-21-2020, 07:30 PM
Bacon makes everything better!

Pipefitter
11-21-2020, 08:35 PM
Get yourself a meat injector and shoot the bird full of melted butter, about a 1/4# for every 12 pounds of bird. If you want BBQ flavor in the bird, mix your favorite yard bird rub in with the butter. Cover the whole bird with bacon and cook until the bacon is done, then remove and eat the bacon while the skin on the bird browns.

Deakota57
11-21-2020, 08:40 PM
I do Turkey. Breast on a Pitt Boss pellet grill using Hickory... stuff with Apple and onion... put it on smoke.. early.. every 45 min. Spay butter.. now the family likes it when I sprinkle Garlic and Herb. Season over it. The last hour and a half I turn it up to 350.

abunaitoo
11-21-2020, 09:26 PM
Deep fried.
Injected with Cajun seasoning, butter and more Cajun seasoning on the outside.
Let sit in the icebox for 24 hours.
YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gofaaast
11-21-2020, 09:50 PM
https://youtu.be/-nxXUl1-KUg
BBQ pit boys apple cider recipe from YouTube. It’s what we have used the past few years. If you enjoy strong smoke taste I would add liquid smoke to brine and inject some as well. Smoke using hickory pellets.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-22-2020, 11:32 AM
BBQ grill?
I got one word for you. "spatchcock"
Makes the process faster and easier.
google search for how to do it, add your own spices and type of wood, for your family's preference.

Myself, I brine over night in water/canning salt mixture, old school amount to "float an egg"...nothing else added.
after Brine, I slide pats of butter under skin.
I use a Texas style wood fired smoker grill, and try to maintain 250ºF using sugar maple for firewood.
cook until internal temp in thigh is around 165ºF
usually takes about 3.5 to 4.0 hrs for 15 lb bird.

waksupi
11-22-2020, 12:21 PM
For a bit of smoke flavor, no matter what I'm cooking on the BBQ, I just cut a few small branches from the nearby tree, and put them on the coals. I can reach a maple tree from my deck, so that's what I use. Makes a great steak.

MaryB
11-22-2020, 04:04 PM
Slide bacon UNDER the breast skin! It doesn't get crispy but the fat cooks down int the breast meat giving it a smoky flavor. I spatchcock and do them on the Traeger pellet pit this way. Lumberjack 100% hickory pellets, not one of the blends. Can start on smoke setting for 2 hours then boost temps to 350 to roast... the higher temps help make the skin edible.