PDA

View Full Version : What mold for 480 Ruger?

ZHAWK
12-12-2008, 12:37 AM
I just bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in .480. I would like to buy a mold and am looking at the Lees. Has anyone used the 325 or the 400 grain Lee molds in 480? Does one work better in the gun than the other? Maybe you have a really good load for 480. Thank you.

Lee
12-12-2008, 01:49 AM
I've a Lee mold in .475 dia at 325 gr. I haven't used it yet, but I will. I suggest you stock up on brass. It's a fine caliber, never caught on and will die out soon.
Stock up on lead too, let the winds of "change" blow over you. It's all gonna get worse before it gets better. Let those who say "change is good" go try a corncob for a week. Report back how much better that change was.............Lee

ZHAWK
12-12-2008, 04:37 AM
Thanks Lee. I have been leaning towards the 325 because of the gas check plus later on I would like to get a LBT in something heavier, like 400. Have any good loads for 480?

Lloyd Smale
12-12-2008, 08:09 AM
the only source for inexpensive 475 molds are lee and rcbs. Lee makes its 400 rf which is a great bullet. The 325 is to light for the 475 in my opinion. It could be used for a plinking bullet but why? Just down load the 400. The 400 at ever 800 fps will kill any non dangerous game animal with power to spare. The same can be said for the 400 swc rcbs mold. There both good bullets there both very accurate bullets. The only flaw to both of them is there both lacking in the crimp grove dept. They both could use a wider deaper grove. But that only tends to show its face with full power loads. Not to many people use or need what the 475 can do on the very top end. By the way cast out of 5050 ww/lyno ive had no problem with leading with either of these bullets. Ballistic cast and lbt also make very good 475 molds. Probably my favorite 475 mold is the ballistic cast 420 lfngc. Its got a relitivly short nose that works in even the FA guns. Its been very accurate and even with the short nose thats almost a cross between an lfn and a wfn it shoots like a rifle at long range. Only draw back to this mold is the price. But one thing to keep in mind is a ballistic cast mold is as durable as a cock roach. I think it would survive even a nucular war! Some others ive had good luck with are the lbt 400 lfnpb and lfngc. the ballistic cast 390 and 420 lfnpb. As most on here know im not a fan of wfns but ive had great luck with the ballistic cast 360 wfnpb. As a matter of fact that one is the most accurate bullet in my custom marlin. It needs to be shot fast to stablize past a 100 yards but at a 100 and less its very acccurate so it makes for a good practical bullet for animals under a 1000 lb. As a matter of fact i shot a 900 lb bufflalo with that bullet and made a clean one shot kill. I realize im talking 475 for all of this but it would apply the same for the 480

BABore
12-12-2008, 08:54 AM
I've used the Lee 325 gr mold and boolit. It's ok I guess for close range plinking even though it cost you a gas check. It's actually kind of a ballistic turd. By the time you get some decent velocity, you run out of lube. Just not enough capacity. The 480 Ruger thrives on 400 grain boolits at 1,200+ fps. All the power, velocity and ranging abilities are there. Of all the cheaper commercial molds available, I would go with the RCBS 400 gr PB. You don't need a GC at those velocity levels. Use coupious amounts of WW 296 and CCI 350's and it will talk to you. Be aware that the Hornady 480 Ruger brass is very soft. You will max out and get sticky extraction below the book max pretty easily. After a sizing or two, it's a different story. Brass seems to last forever and never needs trimming.

I had a custom mold made for my 9 1/2 SRH by Mountain molds. I designed this 400 gr GC boolit to take full advantage of the lengthy cylinder. Case capacity with this boolit is real close to the 475. My max velocity is 1,250 using WW 296. Killed two buffalo with it so far. I also made my own 400 gr SWC boolit that shoots the same. I kind of got a perfect bbl. It will shoot either 400 grain boolit with the same accuracy, using the same load, and do it with both 10 and 22 bhn hardness's.

44man
12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I use the Lee 400 gr, it shoots very good out of the .480 with 23 gr of 296 and a fed 155 primer.

I get 1" groups at 50 yd's out of my .475 BFR with 26.5 gr of 296.
You do not need a gas check!
The RCBS 400 looks good too.
The only thing I don't like about Lee molds is that they don't know what a crimp groove is. I haven't had a problem but they sure are small and you have to adjust the crimp die just for their boolits.

ZHAWK
12-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone, it looks like the 400 grain mold is the favorite. I've owned a few RCBS molds and they have all been very good. The two things that I have been worried about were if the rate of twist of the Super Redhawk barrel favored a particular weight bullet and I owned a regular Redhawk that the sights couldn't be adjusted for a heavy bullet.

DLCTEX
12-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Good imformation! I will be casting and loading for one of my sons in the near future for the same gun. I guess I had better start looking for molds and dies.

Heavy lead
12-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't own a 480, but I have a 475 in a BFR I mostly shoot 480 powered loads in. I started with the Lee 400 boolit, but my mould cast so big, by the time I sized it to 476 it didn't have any itsy bitsy lube grooves left. So I bought the RCBS 476-400 mould, and it is fantastic. I was a little skepitical as the meplat in the picture looks small, don't believe those pictures, it is fine. It is a swc, but a very modified one that I would say is actually shaped more like a LFN. It has two big lube grooves and casts .477 and sized great to .476 in the lubrisizer and is my most accurate handgun/boolit/load combo I have. Oh it smacks the heck out of the deer too.

Heavy lead
12-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone, it looks like the 400 grain mold is the favorite. I've owned a few RCBS molds and they have all been very good. The two things that I have been worried about were if the rate of twist of the Super Redhawk barrel favored a particular weight bullet and I owned a regular Redhawk that the sights couldn't be adjusted for a heavy bullet.

That front sight blade in the SRH is real easy to change out. And several heights are available, I had to put a higher one in my 454. Got one from Midway, a plain one too, I don't like the orange stripe.

PatMarlin
12-13-2008, 01:00 AM
ALways wanted one of those 480's. Almost bought one when I got my 454 casull, but I had just to many 45 molds, so I went 45.

Don't worry about lead... RECYCLE..!

44man
12-13-2008, 01:28 AM
I don't own a 480, but I have a 475 in a BFR I mostly shoot 480 powered loads in. I started with the Lee 400 boolit, but my mould cast so big, by the time I sized it to 476 it didn't have any itsy bitsy lube grooves left. So I bought the RCBS 476-400 mould, and it is fantastic. I was a little skepitical as the meplat in the picture looks small, don't believe those pictures, it is fine. It is a swc, but a very modified one that I would say is actually shaped more like a LFN. It has two big lube grooves and casts .477 and sized great to .476 in the lubrisizer and is my most accurate handgun/boolit/load combo I have. Oh it smacks the heck out of the deer too.
Try my load of 26.5 gr of 296 and a LP mag primer with the RCBS and get back to me how it shoots at 50 yd's.
The Lee has done just a shade under 1" and my 420 gr WFN I made a mold for has done 5/8" with 26 gr's. I hit a spray paint can at 200 yd's from bags with this boolit.
That RCBS boolit should do it. I would like to know, it is a good looking boolit.
I have the BFR too, best gun for the money ever! :drinks:

ZHAWK
12-13-2008, 02:13 AM
Heavy lead, your right about the picture, that why I have been skeptical of the RCBS mold. You think they would put an actual picture or at least a realistic drawing. I've always liked the LFN style bullets. What lead were you using in the Lee mold when it was so oversized and what were you using in the RCBS when it was right on the money?

ZHAWK
12-13-2008, 02:17 AM
44man, Sounds lke a pretty good load. A paint can at 200 yards is impressive. Thats rifle accuracy. Do you use Winchester or CCI350 primers?

freedom475
12-13-2008, 02:46 AM
I am using up the remaining stock of my RCBS 400's in my 480 Puma rifle. The boolit won't work in a FA 83 with 475L brass so I sold the mould.

But out of the Puma this thing is great!! I shoot it to 900yrds with a ladder sight and it hits right on. I have a dishwasher at 800yrds and it is shot to pieces...

The boolit must still be stable for this kind of accuracy out of the little 92 carbine. You can shoot 3 rounds at the washer and never see one hit, then aim just a little to the right and you see that big boolit just pound the earth. :Fire:

Tom W.
12-13-2008, 08:36 AM
I traded my .480 like a fool, but I hope to get an Encore barrel for one soon. When I DID have one, I used a cast 400 grain RCBS 476-400 SWC plain base bullet with 22 grains of H110. I was hitting clay pigeons offhand @ 100 yards with regularity...

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2008, 09:17 AM
ive loaded and shot both extensively and would have to say its about a toss up in accuacy. I shot my first head of game with the 475 using the rcbs bullet. It was a 250 lb pig and it knocked a cork out of it. You could see blood and bone flying out the far side.

44man
12-13-2008, 10:31 AM
44man, Sounds lke a pretty good load. A paint can at 200 yards is impressive. Thats rifle accuracy. Do you use Winchester or CCI350 primers?
I like Fed primers and use the 155. But any mag primer is good. I don't see any difference to speak of. The boolit is more important.
Of all the guns I have owned and have left, the .475 is my favorite for hunting. My BFR 45-70 is even more accurate and will shoot under 1" at 100 yd's if I do my part, with an Ultra Dot. I shoot both guns to 500 meters for fun. The problem is dwell time in deer with the hard boolit in the 45-70. It zips through them too fast so I need to get some expansion. I am convinced that the flat nose is causing a pressure wave and moving lung tissue out of the way without smashing it because of the speed. Deer go over 100 yd's with a perfect hit. A jacketed hollow point does them in fast.
The .480 is a wonderful caliber too and I wish I had bought one, just not in the cards with a fixed income. Then Ruger does stupid again, they make more collector guns then any company ever! :(

BABore
12-15-2008, 08:44 AM
I like Fed primers and use the 155. But any mag primer is good. I don't see any difference to speak of. The boolit is more important.
Of all the guns I have owned and have left, the .475 is my favorite for hunting. My BFR 45-70 is even more accurate and will shoot under 1" at 100 yd's if I do my part, with an Ultra Dot. I shoot both guns to 500 meters for fun. The problem is dwell time in deer with the hard boolit in the 45-70. It zips through them too fast so I need to get some expansion. I am convinced that the flat nose is causing a pressure wave and moving lung tissue out of the way without smashing it because of the speed. Deer go over 100 yd's with a perfect hit. A jacketed hollow point does them in fast.
The .480 is a wonderful caliber too and I wish I had bought one, just not in the cards with a fixed income. Then Ruger does stupid again, they make more collector guns then any company ever! :(

Please be aware that ZHAWK has a 480 Ruger SBH. Not a 475 Linebaugh. Posting your 475 load data on a 480 Ruger specific thread is very dangerous. That load is 5 grains hotter than 480 book max and easily confused here.

44man
12-15-2008, 08:54 AM
I was hoping it was clear enough but you are correct. Thank you for putting the warning in, I should have done that.

ZHAWK
12-17-2008, 01:37 AM
Yes, thank you for the warning. I had intended on reviewing this thread later for loads and might not have read them completely. In a Ruger Super Redhawk with the Rcbs 400 gr. cast bullet, do the 22 gr. of H110 and 23 gr. of W296 sound like reasonable loads? Where can I find data for W296? Does anyone else have some good loads for the Rcbs bullet? Thanks again.

BABore
12-17-2008, 09:09 AM
The best sources are Hodgdon, Speer, and the Lyman 48th & 49th editions. Lee might have some stuff, but I don't know. You can also check with Marshall Stanton, at Beartooth Bullets.

Your not likely to find exact data for that RCBS boolit. You may have to extrapolate and use good common sense. The key things to remember are length of boolit inside the case and boolit hardness. Also gas checked verses plain based. I pointed out in an earlier post about the soft Hornady brass showing early pressure signs and how that disappears after a few firings.

I use WW 296 exclusively with CCI 350 primers. As you can only start so low with 296, you have to be careful. I have found that a chronograph is an excellent tool with this powder. In all the loads I've worked up it shows a similar pattern. Extreme spread is quite high on starting loads due to poor combustion. It will also show up on the target as vertical stringing. As you increase charge weight the ES tightens to below 20 fps and velocity goes up. You will reach a point where the velocity tapers off or may even drop slightly. You just passed your max load. Drop back 0.25 or 0.50 grs and group your loads at 50 and 100 yards. I usually find that I'm at book max for the most accurate load.

The groove diameter on my SRH is 0.4751. My cylinder throats are 0.4781. I size everything at 0.478. Accuracy with both of my custom 400 gr boolits runs a shade over an inch at 50 yards. It will actually do better with more skilled operators. I have watched another board member here shoot a 4-5 inch 200 yard group with it at 200 yards using a UltraDot sight. Once an accurate load is found, real accuracy is in consistent control of the recoil.