PDA

View Full Version : Base Pour vs Nose Pour

GregLaROCHE
11-21-2020, 02:52 PM
Has there been any difference in accuracy noticed between base and nose pour boolits? Most base deformities from cutting the sprue, should be removed during sizing or just firing, however possible nose deformities would remain. Can they have an effect on accuracy? Are nose sizers used to correct these deformities?

Thanks

country gent
11-21-2020, 05:20 PM
I find the bases to be much sharper and crisper on nose pour moulds. Some look like they could shave they are so sharp. I also seem to get better fill out as the base body tend to stay molten longer as the mass is down and filling into the smaller area. I also think bullets drop easier from nose pours like the HG styles that are open on both ends ( top and bottom plates)

I have converted a couple lyman moulds to nose pours in this manner and the bases are excellent, the bullets fall out on opening. The drawback is you end up with a small flat on the nose. For my rifle bullets I prefer the nose pour moulds

John Boy
11-21-2020, 07:05 PM
Agree with country gent ... 100% using my nose pour molds

GregLaROCHE
11-21-2020, 07:56 PM
Agree with country gent ... 100% using my nose pour molds

If I’m ordering a custom mold, is a nose pour an easy option to add? Is it better to have a rounded olgive or a flat méplat with them?

country gent
11-21-2020, 10:25 PM
You can have the rounded ogive its normally only the very tip thats flat around .150 dia.
What bullet are you considering for this?

GregLaROCHE
11-22-2020, 12:29 AM
You can have the rounded ogive its normally only the very tip thats flat around .150 dia.
What bullet are you considering for this?

I’m considering it for a 8.15x46R. It’s a German target round from the turn the 19/20th century. It’s also called a stop ring boolit. First diagram is original design second is what Accurate proposed.