PDA

View Full Version : download speed?

tommag
11-21-2020, 02:33 PM
Every time I try to download large files, in this case linux os, it starts out around 450k and slows down to 70k within 8 or 10 seconds.
My only internet access is my verizon phone. I assume they are throttling me. To make matters worse, I can't just start the download and walk away, as the dl fails and I have to restart it frequently. As it stands, the dl would take 7 or 8 hours if it ran continously.
Any tips to accomplish this faster? Using a wifi isn't really an option, as everything is shutdown.

Dusty Bannister
11-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Have you tried guest wi-fi at those locations or just assume they shut down their system when closed?

StuBach
11-21-2020, 05:47 PM
Any McDonald’s will have free Wi-Fi available that you can get from your car if you’re parked next to the building. That might work. Also most hotels have a free Wi-Fi that you can use but more than likely you’re going to have to go and sit in the lobby.

Provided of course you have a portable device that you can take care. If you’re stuck with a desktop your options are pretty limited.

pcolapaddler
11-21-2020, 07:47 PM
Verizon will throttle speed when using a phone as a hotspot - after a certain amount of data transfer.

I will echo a previous response about McDonald's free wifi. Libraries will also have free wifi. I've used both when needing to D/L a large amount of data.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

MrWolf
11-21-2020, 11:21 PM
I was in the same boat. Problem is there is no decent internet speeds anywhere around me. Try as others stated the places that have wi-fi and park near the building. Good luck

tommag
11-22-2020, 04:40 AM
Well, about 24 hours after starting the download, it stopped again at 1.7gb. I mistakenly clicked the stop button rather than the resume one. AAARRGGHHH!
A member here offered in a pm to download my version of choice and send it to me on a thumb drive.
Much obliged, sir!

Brass&Lead
11-22-2020, 07:39 AM
To improve you download speed place you phone in a window with the strongest cell signal and away from RF noise. Higher is better.
Connect it to the charger.
Make sure your computer is up to date and close all unneeded applications.
Download during off peak hours.
Gary

MrWolf
11-22-2020, 08:20 AM
My Verizon signal with my own home built antenna registers two bars of 4g (vs single bar of voice only) and was actually faster than my old copper wired dsl internet that I have with Frontier. Man they suck and no wonder they are in bankruptcy. My upload speeds are less than one. Yup.

Scrounge
12-03-2020, 10:45 PM
Well, about 24 hours after starting the download, it stopped again at 1.7gb. I mistakenly clicked the stop button rather than the resume one. AAARRGGHHH!
A member here offered in a pm to download my version of choice and send it to me on a thumb drive.
Much obliged, sir!

I finally got my ducks in a row enough to go mail it, I thought, and found that my PM inbox is empty. I apparently managed to delete everything. I have the drive, and the envelope to ship it, and no shipping address, now. And it's taken me several tries, and several hours to find this thread. I've sent you a PM already, asking for the snailmail address again. I HOPE you've found what you needed some other way, but I can ship it tomorrow if not.

Bill

tommag
12-03-2020, 11:43 PM
Thanks, Bill. I managed to download it but can't seem to make an install disc. PM sent.

waksupi
12-04-2020, 02:01 PM
Does your phone have the capacity to download such a big file?

tommag
12-04-2020, 03:06 PM
Does your phone have the capacity to download such a big file?
The phone probably doesn't, but I'm using the phone as a wifi hotspot for the laptop.
Hmmm, download to the phone and then transfer it to the computer?

MrWolf
12-04-2020, 07:42 PM
That would avoid the amount limitation so worth a try. Shouldn't throttle down that way.

gwrench
12-06-2020, 10:34 AM
Thanks, Bill. I managed to download it but can't seem to make an install disc. PM sent.

If you have a good ISO image downloaded then it needs to be either burned as an image to dvd or put on a flash drive with a program to make it bootable. Are you using windows?

There's a number of programs that will work. Here's a tiny one that works great. https://unetbootin.github.io/