PDA

View Full Version : Lee dies shaving brass

scattershot
11-20-2020, 07:56 PM
I have used Lee dies off and on seems like forever, but lately I have noticed brass shavings and particles all over my press when I reload .40 S&W. Near as I can tell, it’s coming from the seating die. I have it adjusted to seat only, and crimp at another station. Is this a common problem, and can it be fixed?

Thanks

ShooterAZ
11-20-2020, 08:02 PM
I sometimes have it happen when using brand new brass. Maybe try chamfering the inside case mouth slightly, and check to see that you are getting adequate flair from your expanding die.

scattershot
11-20-2020, 10:23 PM
Thanks, I’ll try that.

dtknowles
11-20-2020, 10:31 PM
I would suggest cleaning the die with bore cleaner that disolves copper fouling and even maybe polishing it. Once the die starts scratching brass that brass builds up and makes a burr that causes more scratching. I have never seen it so bad as to make chips but I have seen it cause visible scratches.

Tim

jmorris
11-20-2020, 10:55 PM
Try lube, especially if you are cleaning wet so they are “squeaky” clean.

tomme boy
11-21-2020, 02:52 AM
Everytime I have had it happen the Lee powder die was the culprit.

VariableRecall
11-21-2020, 04:44 AM
I shave a teeny bit of brass with my Lee Factory Crimp Die every time I've loaded with mine. I just rub it off with a cloth swab. It leaves beautiful crimps every time, with the exception of that one thing.

scattershot
11-21-2020, 05:25 PM
I figured it out, thanks, all. Turns out there was too much flare on the case mouth, and the interior of the die was pretty rough. Smoothed out the die body, reduced the flare a bit, and all is well. Thanks for the suggestions.

ShooterAZ
11-21-2020, 05:31 PM
I'm glad you were able to get it figured out.

Bazoo
11-21-2020, 05:37 PM
Thanks for posting and letting us know the cure. I once had an RCBS die set in 357 that left little brass half rings upon crimping. Well I contacted RCBS and they said I could send it in and they'd polish it out. I polished it myself and it cured the issue.