PDA

View Full Version : I Sold a Trigger Pull Scale and got Nuked by PayPal

RydForLyf
11-20-2020, 01:05 PM
So last week I sold an old RCBS trigger pull scale on eBay and their automated idiot flagged it as a firearm item or ammunition and PayPal has decided to “part ways” indefinitely. In addition, they’re locking up my PayPal balance for 180 days and have also nailed my wife’s account too.

Of course I’ll appeal and they’ll hopefully realize it was a mistake, but I’m amazed by their heavy handed approach to account management. On the other hand, maybe they’ve identified me as a freedom loving Republican and decided to punish me for that.

-RFL

StuBach
11-20-2020, 01:12 PM
Did eBay/PayPal expand their definition of gun part? It’s a gun tool not a gun part. Even then, I see auctions for gun parts like triggers and bolts all the time and vendors keep putting up new ones without issue? Seems hanous unless they changed their policy in the most recent update that no one read.

frkelly74
11-20-2020, 01:35 PM
Commies all of em.

BigAlofPa.
11-20-2020, 01:40 PM
It depends how you word the title on ebay. I had listings for stuff flagged. Buy using rifle/carbine in the add title.

VariableRecall
11-20-2020, 01:41 PM
I think they may have noticed that the words "trigger" were in your item, and marked it for death.

RydForLyf
11-20-2020, 01:45 PM
Did eBay/PayPal expand their definition of gun part? It’s a gun tool not a gun part. Even then, I see auctions for gun parts like triggers and bolts all the time and vendors keep putting up new ones without issue? Seems hanous unless they changed their policy in the most recent update that no one read.

Even trigger kits are allowed by eBay. This is all PayPal, not eBay. I’m also going down the eBay trail hoping they can use a back channel to get this fixed, because eBay is going to go down with the PayPal ship.

Texas Gun
11-20-2020, 01:52 PM
Just start putting trigger in everything you sell ceramic plate it has a trigger this coffee mug has a A loop for your trigger finger this truck part triggers the ignition system

Do exactly what the Politicians Did desensitize them to the word

Texas Gun
11-20-2020, 01:53 PM
Believe it or not PayPal is owned by eBay or eBay is owned by PayPal they’re the same company At least they were in the old days

RydForLyf
11-20-2020, 01:54 PM
It depends how you word the title on ebay. I had listings for stuff flagged. Buy using rifle/carbine in the add title.
I’m sure you’re right, but anything flagged by their bots should be reviewed by a human before the account gets locked down and they hold any balances captive for 180 days.

Here’s the item description
RCBS 1 - 8oz Premium Trigger Pull Scale 87307 with Instructions

RydForLyf
11-20-2020, 01:55 PM
Believe it or not PayPal is owned by eBay or eBay is owned by PayPal they’re the same company At least they were in the old days

eBay spun off PayPal in 2015 to its shareholders. Elon Musk is one of the major shareholders.

RydForLyf
11-20-2020, 01:57 PM
Just start putting trigger in everything you sell ceramic plate it has a trigger this coffee mug has a A loop for your trigger finger this truck part triggers the ignition system

Do exactly what the Politicians Did desensitize them to the word

:guntootsmiley:

RydForLyf
11-20-2020, 01:58 PM

eBay had no problem with it. This is all PayPal.

RydForLyf
11-20-2020, 01:59 PM
Commies all of em.

You mean Californian, but there ain’t much of a difference.

marlin39a
11-20-2020, 02:09 PM
That’s crazy! I bought a trigger gauge 2 weeks ago using PayPal, no problem. Something went wrong with your transaction. PayPal/eBay needs to provide documentation.

Petrol & Powder
11-20-2020, 02:34 PM
I never had to part ways with PayPal because I never joined them in the first place.

Other than credit card processing, I will have nothing to do with that enterprise.

RydForLyf
11-20-2020, 04:14 PM
That’s crazy! I bought a trigger gauge 2 weeks ago using PayPal, no problem. Something went wrong with your transaction. PayPal/eBay needs to provide documentation.

It was sold to a guy in Puerto Rico. Maybe that triggers a different level of PayPal scrutiny. Again, eBay has no issue with the sale, only PayPal has a problem with it. It has to be the word “trigger” in the description.

abunaitoo
11-20-2020, 04:23 PM
Can stuff like this be mailed to PR?????
I know lots of stuff cannot be mailed to some places.
Probably a single word caused it.
paypal had always been antigun.
evilbay was not when they first started.
As they got bigger, they decided to ignore 2A.
Then that "lady" took over and the damcrat hit the fan.

charlie b
11-20-2020, 05:16 PM
I've bought gun stuff using paypal with no issues, including bullets, this year. Previous years I used it to buy ammunition.

redhawk0
11-20-2020, 05:33 PM
That thing weighs fish too...right?

redhawk

slim1836
11-20-2020, 05:46 PM
Sounds fishy to me.

Slim

gnostic
11-20-2020, 05:53 PM
I bought a rear sight for my XP 100 last week from ebay, but I dumped Paypal about ten years ago...

RydForLyf
11-20-2020, 07:03 PM
I've bought gun stuff using paypal with no issues, including bullets, this year. Previous years I used it to buy ammunition.

As long as they don’t know what it’s for, there’s no way for them to react. Because of their integration with eBay, they have access to the item description, and that’s where the problem started.

RydForLyf
11-20-2020, 07:04 PM
I bought a rear sight for my XP 100 last week from ebay, but I dumped Paypal about ten years ago...

Yep, eBay isn’t the problem, it’s PayPal. If you’re not using PayPal, what are you using for payment?

crackers
11-20-2020, 07:20 PM
Right there - you included instructions.

BigAlofPa.
11-20-2020, 08:09 PM
I bought parts from Walther awhile back. I used my paypal cc card. Walther billed is as business supplies.

scattershot
11-20-2020, 08:14 PM
You sure ot was Paypal? I get emails all the time that my account has been flagged or suspended, but I can fix it by clicking on the helpful link and answering a few questions. Turns out, it’s usually a guy named Punjab from Pakistan, or someplace, and it’s totally bogus.

Mal Paso
11-20-2020, 08:39 PM
I just bought a Lee Reloading Die from the vendor Shooting Supply on ebay using paypal. I think the problem is something else.

charlie b
11-20-2020, 09:12 PM
As long as they don’t know what it’s for, there’s no way for them to react. Because of their integration with eBay, they have access to the item description, and that’s where the problem started.

Well, since the bullets, ammunition and stuff were listed on my paypal account I think they knew what they were for. They were not bought through ebay.

gnostic
11-21-2020, 12:07 AM
Yep, eBay isn’t the problem, it’s PayPal. If you’re not using PayPal, what are you using for payment?

A credit card, they take Master and Visa cards....

RydForLyf
11-21-2020, 08:09 AM
Right there - you included instructions.

Damn! I totally missed that! That must be it.

RydForLyf
11-21-2020, 08:10 AM
I bought parts from Walther awhile back. I used my paypal cc card. Walther billed is as business supplies.

Unfortunately with eBay, you don’t have an option to be creative.

RydForLyf
11-21-2020, 08:13 AM
You sure ot was Paypal? I get emails all the time that my account has been flagged or suspended, but I can fix it by clicking on the helpful link and answering a few questions. Turns out, it’s usually a guy named Punjab from Pakistan, or someplace, and it’s totally bogus.

Positive. The email had no links or tricks. I logged onto PayPal and saw it there. I then spent an hour on the phone with PayPal explaining that it is a tool, not a gun part. Very Draconian measures. You’re guilty until you can prove your innocence.

RydForLyf
11-21-2020, 08:15 AM
I just bought a Lee Reloading Die from the vendor Shooting Supply on ebay using paypal. I think the problem is something else.

The problem is because my description said “trigger”. That set off all the bells and whistles. I’ve been selling a bunch of reloading supplies without problem.

Hanzy4200
11-21-2020, 09:56 AM
Ebay and Paypal are nightmarish. I have been a seller there since 2012. I primarily sell tobacco seeds, and they hit me with suspensions and infractions several times a year. Seeds of all kinds are 100% allowed. This doesn't stop them. They have denied every appeal, until last time. I kid you not. I told them I was a transgender person of color and I felt discriminated against. My appeal was approved in 24 hours. Silicon valley man.

I forgot, they suspended my account for 7 days last year for selling a folding Mossberg 500 stock.

bedbugbilly
11-21-2020, 10:46 AM
I find this really disturbing - I have bought/sold on flebay for years - once they owned PayPal, you had to use it. Lots of "gun" items are listed - bullet molds, gun tools, reloading tools, parts, barrels, the list goes on and on. As a seller - if you have an issue - they are "faceless" - try and talk with an individual to resolve it - been there, done that and you might as well talk to a wall.

A log time ago, they supposedly "banned" the sale of anything related to "grave marking" - i.e such this as GAR, American Legion, VFW "flag holders" used to denote a veteran's grave - they are too easily stolen from graves an resold on their site - YET - I see GAR flag orders listed frequently. In many states, there are laws not he books prohibiting the sale of them but they are ignored.

They seem to have no problem with a person selling gun parts, tools, reloading items, etc. and COLLETING THEIR FEES - not only on the sale, but then through PayPal.

WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND is how they can "freeze" your account for 180 days an NOT allow you access to the funds you have in it. Those funds DO NOT BELONG TO THEM - THEY ARE YOUR MONEY. So, ar they going to pay you interest on the "frozen funds"???? I think not.

This is no different that the crap being pulled by Facebook, Twitter and other left wing advocates.

My suggestion would be to contact your representative in Washington - lay it all out and ask how any financial institution can "freeze" your account without a court order. This is totally wrong and it's about time all of these places had to answer questions as to their operations.

Texas Gun
11-22-2020, 01:16 PM
No it’s funny is you’re not supposed to sell bullets wads shells bullets on eBay But in the last two weeks I bought shotgun wads and even some bullets off eBay lol And I use PayPal to pay for it

RydForLyf
11-22-2020, 05:03 PM
Ebay and Paypal are nightmarish. I have been a seller there since 2012. I primarily sell tobacco seeds, and they hit me with suspensions and infractions several times a year. Seeds of all kinds are 100% allowed. This doesn't stop them. They have denied every appeal, until last time. I kid you not. I told them I was a transgender person of color and I felt discriminated against. My appeal was approved in 24 hours. Silicon valley man.

I forgot, they suspended my account for 7 days last year for selling a folding Mossberg 500 stock.

I may try your tactic. Thanks!

RydForLyf
11-22-2020, 05:05 PM
I find this really disturbing - I have bought/sold on flebay for years - once they owned PayPal, you had to use it. Lots of "gun" items are listed - bullet molds, gun tools, reloading tools, parts, barrels, the list goes on and on. As a seller - if you have an issue - they are "faceless" - try and talk with an individual to resolve it - been there, done that and you might as well talk to a wall.

A log time ago, they supposedly "banned" the sale of anything related to "grave marking" - i.e such this as GAR, American Legion, VFW "flag holders" used to denote a veteran's grave - they are too easily stolen from graves an resold on their site - YET - I see GAR flag orders listed frequently. In many states, there are laws not he books prohibiting the sale of them but they are ignored.

They seem to have no problem with a person selling gun parts, tools, reloading items, etc. and COLLETING THEIR FEES - not only on the sale, but then through PayPal.

WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND is how they can "freeze" your account for 180 days an NOT allow you access to the funds you have in it. Those funds DO NOT BELONG TO THEM - THEY ARE YOUR MONEY. So, ar they going to pay you interest on the "frozen funds"???? I think not.

This is no different that the crap being pulled by Facebook, Twitter and other left wing advocates.

My suggestion would be to contact your representative in Washington - lay it all out and ask how any financial institution can "freeze" your account without a court order. This is totally wrong and it's about time all of these places had to answer questions as to their operations.

Amen,

RydForLyf
11-22-2020, 05:06 PM
No it’s funny is you’re not supposed to sell bullets wads shells bullets on eBay But in the last two weeks I bought shotgun wads and even some bullets off eBay lol And I use PayPal to pay for it

Consider yourself blessed or lucky, your choice.

bangerjim
11-22-2020, 07:31 PM
The very reason I quit dealing with that silly PayPal thing. MO is the only way to pay for things. If seller does not want a MO, they can keep their garbage.

MO and cert bank checks are FREE at my bank.

charlie b
11-23-2020, 09:51 AM
When we ran our home business (airplane model kits) we used PayPal to process all of our orders. Mainly it was for my protection because I did not want to have access to the buyers' credit card info. I also used paypal to pay for business items to various vendors.

We did take checks or MO's, but, customers did not like that we would wait for the check/MO to clear before processing the order. I took a dislike to MO's after talking to the local postmaster about forged MO's and how common they were.

I ALWAYS use Paypal when it is an option to pay for something online, including gun parts and supplies.

Bottom line is I've used Paypal tens of thousands of times, including gun stuff, and had not one issue with them.

RydForLyf
11-23-2020, 08:51 PM
The very reason I quit dealing with that silly PayPal thing. MO is the only way to pay for things. If seller does not want a MO, they can keep their garbage.

MO and cert bank checks are FREE at my bank.

I may have to go that route.

megasupermagnum
11-23-2020, 09:11 PM
Money orders are a joke. Paypal is a 3 second and done deal. 10 seconds if your internet is slow. Money orders you have to drive to a post office or bank, buy it, fill it out, then ship it, wait a few days, hope it gets there, and wait some more for the guy to cash it, and done. It takes 4-5 days if everything goes right. When it doesn't, well hold on, because it gets ugly. I had a money order go missing in shipping... twice... at the same post office. Don't waste money on tracking for these, it does no good. You can show the USPS the missing package, but it does not matter. Send money orders in a stamped envelope. It is a mandatory 90 (maybe 60) day wait if lost. One of the two showed up a couple months later. In the mean time, that money is as good as gone. No way to stop payment, no way to get your money back for 90 (maybe 60) days or more. After 90 days (maybe 60) I reported it missing via the form you have to go pick up, it was reviewed by the USPS, and a month and a half later I got a check for my money back. So I did get all my money back, but it was almost 5 months from when I sent the thing.

I've bought all kinds of things with Paypal. They are just a bunch of dorks, so treat them as such. I've bought entire firearms with Paypal. Either don't say anything, or say "machine parts". Don't over think it.

Lloyd Smale
11-24-2020, 07:58 AM
why didnt you just try to sell it here?

RydForLyf
11-25-2020, 08:39 AM
why didnt you just try to sell it here?

That’s a great question that I don’t have a good answer to. I’ve got a bunch of stuff already up on eBay, and just used that as a default. In the future, ANYTHING related to shooting sports will be sold here. Thanks for the reminder.

Phat Man Mike
11-25-2020, 08:12 PM
I just had a bad taste of paypal. Got a phishing email about my account. Tried to call after being locked out of my account. Keep getting a recording telling me to log on and use the self help section. Yikes just wanted to smash my head on the computer desk . I feel for you on the problem. ☹

RydForLyf
11-26-2020, 07:53 AM
I just had a bad taste of paypal. Got a phishing email about my account. Tried to call after being locked out of my account. Keep getting a recording telling me to log on and use the self help section. Yikes just wanted to smash my head on the computer desk . I feel for you on the problem. ☹

Agree wholeheartedly. They definitely don’t go out of their way to be helpful.

I’ve got everything fixed now, sans PayPal. eBay is kicking them to the curb anyway, so it won’t be long before they’re clamoring for sellers.

Brass&Lead
11-26-2020, 08:32 AM
What is a good alternative service to paypal?

jonp
11-26-2020, 09:13 AM
How can they close your account like that for an extended period and not immediately send you your existing balance back? That sounds like theft to me.

swheeler
11-26-2020, 12:02 PM
I guess I'm just lucky but 14+ years using PP and ebay, never a problem so far, and I've got my fingers and toes crossed right now. I've sold gun parts galore, brass, shotgun hulls primed new and unprimed, bullets , but not long after I opened my account they restricted lots of gun related stuff, like lots of cyber companies did.

Kylongrifle
11-28-2020, 02:12 AM
same exact thing happened to me on a knife sale..Locked up money for 180 days. That was a business account with thousands of tool and knife sales over 14 years.. Averaged over $26K in sales ever year through paypal.. After couple problems with scammers they refused to help me with and flagging my account for a "knife" sale that was actually a forged hatchet I quit. Never again. Its not unheard of folks. Ive seen it happen to several knife makers and traders in the community.

charlie b
11-28-2020, 03:18 PM
FWIW, I never left money in my Paypal account. It was always immediately transferred to my bank account.

Alternative to Paypal? Set up in Google or Apple to accept payments. Still a third party service who can seal your account whenever they wish. The only other way out is to set up a card processing service yourself, which creates other problems.

Shiloh
11-29-2020, 06:23 PM
So last week I sold an old RCBS trigger pull scale on eBay and their automated idiot flagged it as a firearm item or ammunition and PayPal has decided to “part ways” indefinitely. In addition, they’re locking up my PayPal balance for 180 days and have also nailed my wife’s account too.

On the other hand, maybe they’ve identified me as a freedom loving Republican and decided to punish me for that.

-RFL

Don't discount that.

Shiloh

Mr_Sheesh
11-30-2020, 03:26 AM
Definitely be VERY careful with Money Orders, unless they're USPS ones.

Scammers love printing up a "Joe's Gas 'n Booze" official Money Order for $1,000 or whatever and sending it to people; If you don't wait until it cashes, you just lost that money, as there "may not be" such a company and/or the MO may just be completely FAKE. Getting the attention of USPS Postal Inspectors is iffy, and eBay/PayPal 'don't always' CARE if you get scammed.

And then there are all the eBay / PayPal phishing emails, sadly.

charlie b
11-30-2020, 06:48 PM
Even the USPS MO's can be suspect. Our postmaster told us that counterfeit USPS MO's are common.

alamogunr
11-30-2020, 10:01 PM
What is a good alternative service to paypal?

GunPal?::bigsmyl2:

Kylongrifle
12-01-2020, 02:46 AM
Even the USPS MO's can be suspect. Our postmaster told us that counterfeit USPS MO's are common.

Yea thats why we always take ours to the PO to get cashed. We know right away and dont have to wait on it to clear the bank. Some banks want you to deposit them instead of cashing them.. but thankfully Ive never seen a fake one. I do know they are not uncommon though

LabGuy
12-02-2020, 09:42 PM
I have a PayPal account. The reason I opened it, and the only thing I have ever used it for is to buy MP moulds.

Mr_Sheesh
12-06-2020, 01:27 AM
I have a bank account which is just for PP, it'd be hard for a fraudster to withdraw money from an empty account.