PDA

View Full Version : Google Searches for Reloading Ammo Explode...

1I-Jack
11-19-2020, 11:00 PM
https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/google-searches-reloading-ammo-explode-amid-nationwide-shortage

Sadly they may learn how, but won't be able to find the components (as we all know). A case of "too late to the rodeo".

gbrown
11-19-2020, 11:13 PM
All I can say, is "sorry if you're late to the dance." My condolences.

john.k
11-20-2020, 02:17 AM
If I want reloading components,I just look in my safe.....cartons of primers I bought because 10k was a few cents a k cheaper than 1k,big jugs of powder I bought on special to save $5,and bullet moulds I will certainly never wear out.....Sheets of lead ,now all I need is the inclination.

VariableRecall
11-20-2020, 04:58 AM
If I want reloading components,I just look in my safe.....cartons of primers I bought because 10k was a few cents a k cheaper than 1k,big jugs of powder I bought on special to save $5,and bullet moulds I will certainly never wear out.....Sheets of lead ,now all I need is the inclination.

I'm one of those people that started out my Reloading endeavors in Late August. Now, If only it were easy to have even 500 CCI Primers. Right now 500 primers are selling for over $100 on Gunbroker, but that's gunbroker for you.

It's a tragedy seeing reloaders screwing over fellow reloaders just because they are new to it all and short on supplies.

I know that I shouldn't be paying more than 3 cents per-primer in the future. I'd be happy to buy from a reloader that would be a lot less cruel than other sellers at the moment.
While I have some primed brass thanks to a Boolit friend, I know that it's not going to last forever. I'd totally be up for buying them from someone at $50 a brick, plus shipping, but considering how tricky it is to ship primers by themselves, that may not be the best solution.

JRLesan
11-20-2020, 09:36 AM
So, I've been reloading now for over 40 years. I've got primers that cost me anywhere from less than a penny to nearly 2 cents apiece. If I sell to someone for 3 cents each and then have to go buy more for 20 cents each I am getting the short end of the stick. If I sell to 'fellow reloaders' at the current prevailing price of 20 cents each and then have to go buy more for my own consumption I fail to see how I'm 'screwing over' anybody. And no, I don't sell my supplies to anybody...

sparky45
11-20-2020, 09:44 AM
Reload-a-nomics 101.

FISH4BUGS
11-20-2020, 09:59 AM
Whining about "...how expensive stuff is".....you should have listened last time the shortage visited us.
I stocked up. I have plenty of lead anyway, shortage or no.
Primers? Check.
Powder? Check
Brass? Check
Gas checks? Check.
Brass? Check.
FMJ inventory? Check.
People, learn your lesson or pay the price.
Period.

Froogal
11-20-2020, 10:29 AM
I'm one of those people that started out my Reloading endeavors in Late August. Now, If only it were easy to have even 500 CCI Primers. Right now 500 primers are selling for over $100 on Gunbroker, but that's gunbroker for you.

It's a tragedy seeing reloaders screwing over fellow reloaders just because they are new to it all and short on supplies.

I know that I shouldn't be paying more than 3 cents per-primer in the future. I'd be happy to buy from a reloader that would be a lot less cruel than other sellers at the moment.
While I have some primed brass thanks to a Boolit friend, I know that it's not going to last forever. I'd totally be up for buying them from someone at $50 a brick, plus shipping, but considering how tricky it is to ship primers by themselves, that may not be the best solution.

Thank you!! I agree 100%. Those guys have nothing else to say but " you should have seen this coming" are not being the least bit helpful and truly are not representative of the other folks who really enjoy this hobby.

FISH4BUGS
11-20-2020, 10:58 AM
Thank you!! I agree 100%. Those guys have nothing else to say but " you should have seen this coming" are not being the least bit helpful and truly are not representative of the other folks who really enjoy this hobby.

Have you never heard of the children's fable "The Grasshopper and the Ant?"

VariableRecall
11-20-2020, 01:39 PM
Have you never heard of the children's fable "The Grasshopper and the Ant?"

I have heard of the fable. The difference is that I'm starting my reloading endeavors against the wishes of my family. Otherwise, I would have started this a lot earlier if they gave me the opportunity.
From my perspective, I'm an adult, and I'm still being financially supported by them, but since I've never had any reason to restrict my right to own firearms my entire life, why have my folks stop me from arming myself other than propriety?

They have been anxious, but fairly supportive of what was technically a power-play on my part.

Pandemic or not, I likely would have purchased a firearm at this part of my life anyways. I had spent my summer doing research on my local laws and on reloading.
I wouldn't have started off on the right foot reloading if it weren't for the generosity of fellow forum users. I've even met a local forum user in person and he's lent a hand as well.

I've purchased everything myself except the components that are in critically short supply, like primers and brass.

Remember the Bible story about the Silver Talents. You either use it or lose it.

Geezer in NH
11-20-2020, 06:06 PM
I am doing the best I can not to get banned from this site so Bye.

MUSTANG
11-20-2020, 06:52 PM
I know that some will see this as a castigation of those who did not prepare; but it really is not. I am trying to be positive in the following:

Many are being forced into reloading or moving there as they see the ability to get Factory Ammo is going to be a long term problem. Good for them; many of us will give advice and at times help. BUT; they have to accept conditions as they exist today - and not blame those who made choices and bought materials throughout the last 4, 8, 12, 40 years and put them away for "Hard Times". Those who did so may have forgone that pack or two of smokes every week, or that weekend excursion at times, or reduced their dinners out with the wife/family to "Lay in Stores". They may have practiced "Application of Study/Analysis/Research/Shooting Frugality" to ensure their stores grew slowly; yet expanding their knowledge of the Ballistics Discipline in all it's shapes and forms.

On the other hand; many who are looking to get into reloading, keep reloading although materials are getting hard to find, or are looking at their small horde of Factory Ammo drying up - or even totally gone. Some may be because they are young or new to reloading - through circumstances they are late to the party. Materials are hard or impossible to come by and they are frustrated - but that is not the fault of those who are described in the paragraph above.

What disturbs me is "Human Nature" that I see present across the country. The jealousy when someone else has Materials, but I can't get those materials so those are BAD PEOPLE. Or when someone who scrimped and put aside over the years is lambasted for being self serving, arrogant, bragadosious, or...

I tend to have more compassion/sympathy/empath/commonality with those who prepared compared to those who did not prepare. In my youth; I was one of those who because of came from the less financially blessed (i.e. pay was $300.00 month when I went into military - and pay in most of Texas was depressed for those entering work force), but I saw reality and started accumulating a little at a time so I could shoot more by reloading.

I see a larger problem, that being society in the USA as a general statement has come to believe they should have immediate gratification. If they want it now; then they should be able to GET IT NOW despite what reality may be. A significant part of society is one paycheck away from bankruptcy, has little to no savings, has little food set aside for an emergency (even a weekend weather event), and... This spills over into our Reloading Arena.

Many on this site are older, more knowledgeable, and experienced more aspects of life. In days of old these would have been qualifications for Tribal/Community leadership, and children would have been taught to see these Sage Leaders to be heard and their words weighed, contemplated, and learned from. Seems many no longer even comprehend this concept. I have seen many on this site donate to others through a variety of mechanisms, offer at reasonable prices materials to others, and offer ideas on how to reduce the impact. We have numerous threads on this site detailing how one can "Reload Primers" by fabricating primer compound, or through the use of alternate products such as Toy Caps. Yet; some complain and rather than trying to "Work Their Problem" by attempting to apply some of these potential solutions, they instead seek to solicit others to "Spoon Feed Them" , or some even attempt to "Shame" others for having the audacity to prepare over time or "Fix their Problem" by using some of that Sage Wisdom that has been shared openly with others.

Those who have prepared will continue to enjoy their sport and be prepared should things get worse. Those who were caught short, and have some level of "Drive" will seek to solve their Challenges, learn from the experience, and be better when we come out of this. Then there will be those who are irredeemable and will blame others for all their challenges in life and advocate that someone else should solve their problems/issues/desires. Rant through.

WheelgunConvert
11-20-2020, 07:32 PM
AMEN to this ⬆️

Sig556r
11-20-2020, 08:01 PM
"The Grasshopper & the Ant" works for reloading as well as surviving unemployment during pandemic...

Deakota57
11-20-2020, 08:32 PM
Mustang, I did 20 year's in the Army... 11 Bravo tuning short supplies was something you got use to.. you knew to stalk up and make it last.. you didn’t know when you was going to get more... loved your comments.. it goes with everything these days. I retired in 97...; All this shortage is not new... everyone should have seen it coming. But again well put.

Winger Ed.
11-20-2020, 09:00 PM
I. I have seen many on this site donate to others through a variety of mechanisms, offer at reasonable prices materials to others,

Yet; some complain and rather than trying to "Work Their Problem" by attempting to apply some of these potential solutions, they instead seek to solicit others to "Spoon Feed Them" , or some even attempt to "Shame" others for having the audacity to prepare over time ]

That's where I'm at. I've given away reloading stuff to folks who want and appreciate it, rather than hassle with S&S and see it go to people
whose only contribution to the site is swooping in on S&S to snap up any good deal. Or, ask for help, then ya never hear from 'em again.
I keep enough supplies on hand to rock along for a year or two, but I don't try to vacuum off the gun store shelf every time I go in.
Also, the older I get, the less patience I have for those that seek confirmation for doing something wrong rather than info. on doing it right.

Budzilla 19
11-20-2020, 09:30 PM
Mustang, very well done!!!! You explained perfectly!!! Instead of steaks and bottles of Crown Royal, ( which is nice every now and then) I ate ground meat and drank coke zeros then bought reloading supplies with the profits! Scrounged up,lead, bought boolit molds, I feel sure I’m preaching to the choir here,but I saw this before. Anyone get this now,” hey...........brother,( you know what’s com8ng next), you still loadin’ Them rifle shells?” I caint find none!! Guess I’m gone havta start reloadin’now!! Well, there might be a problem with that road!! ( tried to advise them, but, what does a crazy old guy who casts lead boolits know anyway???? ) I’ll help where I can,though.

Budzilla 19
11-20-2020, 09:34 PM
The above post was not to bash anyone, life has it’s set of priorities and I don’t know anyone’s problems but my own. So don’t get offended,please. Those that survive this will learn.

Winger Ed.
11-20-2020, 09:41 PM
Instead of steaks and bottles of Crown Royal, ( which is nice every now and then) I ate ground meat and drank coke zeros then bought reloading supplies with the profits! Scrounged up,lead, bought boolit molds,.

Reminds me of a couple of people.
One from when times were good.
A fella got invited on a deer hunting trip, and then asked me to borrow the hunting rifle
I'd saved up for & bought, adding 'goodies' when I could afford them, then tweaked it out just for deer hunting in Texas.
New stock, Simmons 6X, the ammo, trigger & speed lock firing pin, everything I could do in the garage.

I told him he should have bought a hunting rifle before he spent $8,000 for tires, rims, and a lift kit for his truck the month before.

MrWolf
11-20-2020, 09:42 PM
I have heard of the fable. The difference is that I'm starting my reloading endeavors against the wishes of my family. Otherwise, I would have started this a lot earlier if they gave me the opportunity.
From my perspective, I'm an adult, and I'm still being financially supported by them, but since I've never had any reason to restrict my right to own firearms my entire life, why have my folks stop me from arming myself other than propriety?

They have been anxious, but fairly supportive of what was technically a power-play on my part.

Pandemic or not, I likely would have purchased a firearm at this part of my life anyways. I had spent my summer doing research on my local laws and on reloading.
I wouldn't have started off on the right foot reloading if it weren't for the generosity of fellow forum users. I've even met a local forum user in person and he's lent a hand as well.

I've purchased everything myself except the components that are in critically short supply, like primers and brass.

Remember the Bible story about the Silver Talents. You either use it or lose it.

Sorry your timing is such that entry at this point is expensive but that is how life goes. I know you would like to be treated as an adult as you state but until you make your own money you are at the mercy of those supporting you. You can still do things like scrounge for lead via wheel weights, roof flashing, xray walls from demolitions, etc. and trade them for components. Where there is a will there is a way. May not be easy but neither is life. Good luck to you. Plenty of info and help here if you would like advise but many have been burned in the past.

Bookworm
11-20-2020, 10:37 PM
It's ironic isn't it.

A fellow that bought silver at $6/oz and sells it at $24/oz (both market prices) is just doing good business.

A fellow that bought primers at $23/1000 (market price) and sells at $200/1000 (market price) is gouging his fellow reloaders.

No mention of the silver buyer gouging his fellow silver buyers.

gbrown
11-20-2020, 11:05 PM
I think there may be a disconnect here between we, who were raised by some people who went thru the Great Depression and those that were not. We were taught, better to have and not need, rather than need and not have. That's why I have all the junk in my garage/storage. I can survive this. I have all I need, and maybe more for my family. Younger folks need to understand this.

dtknowles
11-20-2020, 11:11 PM

This kind of gloating is not helpful.

Tim

dtknowles
11-20-2020, 11:14 PM
Whining about "...how expensive stuff is".....you should have listened last time the shortage visited us.
I stocked up. I have plenty of lead anyway, shortage or no.
Primers? Check.
Powder? Check
Brass? Check
Gas checks? Check.
Brass? Check.
FMJ inventory? Check.
People, learn your lesson or pay the price.
Period.

Just another person bragging about being smart.

Tim

dtknowles
11-20-2020, 11:20 PM
It's ironic isn't it.

A fellow that bought silver at $6/oz and sells it at $24/oz (both market prices) is just doing good business.

A fellow that bought primers at $23/1000 (market price) and sells at $200/1000 (market price) is gouging his fellow reloaders.

I think the difference is there is no brotherhood of silver buyers. Maybe there is not brotherhood among reloaders either. Just Dog eats Dog.

Tim

dtknowles
11-20-2020, 11:22 PM
I think there may be a disconnect here between we, who were raised by some people who went thru the Great Depression and those that were not. We were taught, better to have and not need, rather than need and not have. That's why I have all the junk in my garage/storage. I can survive this. I have all I need, and maybe more for my family. Younger folks need to understand this.

How many of us need to have ammo? How much ammo do you really need? Is it really a need or just a want. Just recreational.

Tim

gbrown
11-20-2020, 11:30 PM
It's a mindset, not who you are or what you want to be, but what you have, not you. Look at those things. What can you do with it? Think outside the box!

Cargo
11-20-2020, 11:39 PM
I started late and I don't have everything I need or want for reloading but I'm grateful for what I have and I help my friends when and where I can.

gbrown
11-20-2020, 11:42 PM
Tim:
I'll give you an example. A soda can, aluminum. Shims for a scope, shims for wood projects, a #11BP cap, gas checks, etc

SSGOldfart
11-20-2020, 11:56 PM

Well said

hawkenhunter50
11-21-2020, 12:01 AM
I've seen primer auctions start at $0.01 with no reserve and price was bid up over $2000 for 10k primers. How is that screwing anyone? People bid it to that. They could have sold for $0.01.

Think of it this way......If those people selling primers on Gunbroker for $0.20 a piece, weren't on there selling them, then what would the price be? At least there's some for sale. That's the way I see it. No one forcing anyone to pay whatever price.

contender1
11-21-2020, 12:10 AM
And this is exactly what the anti-gunners & liberal leftists want.
They want us bickering amongst ourselves. Divide & conquer.
And remember,, a firearm is not good for much w/o ammo.

They want to CONTROL us all,, so when ammo isn't available,, they can control us.

If you were like a good BSA Scout,, & lived by the motto; "Be Prepared" then good for you.
If you lived by the words of wiser folks who suffered during the Great Depression or shortages of WWII,, and learned from them,, good for you.
If you were unable to accept the lessons of history & felt everything you'd need would always be in a store & readily available,, then, well, then you weren't as smart as you should have been.

But if you are new to guns,, or reloading,, and want to truly become a fighter for FREEDOM & the 2nd Amendment,, then You have my sympathies,, AND as much help as I can offer.

I have no sympathy for those who (a) are not members of the NRA, (b) failed to stand & fight for their Constitution & Bill of Rights, (c) felt that they could vote for people who have proven that they want to restrict our gun rights or take away our guns, thinking it wouldn't apply to them.
And now,, when faced with various things that threaten our Freedom & our Rights,, they whine & complain about shortages or the prices of products.

I have been quietly helping those who truly do want to enjoy shooting & learn to reload etc. And I always ask; "Are you a member of the NRA?" those that aren't,, I politely ask them to join,,, and when they show me a membership card,, then I'll help them. Remember,, 5 million NRA members are the ones fighting for all 330 million Americans Rights. (And according to several different estimates,,, there are between 80-120 million gun owners out there.)
As a former soldier,, I swore an oath. I never had a "swearing out" so my oath still stands. So, shortages,, high prices, etc all have effects. But I strongly feel that $35 a year is CHEAP compared to losing our Second Amendment Rights.

rbuck351
11-21-2020, 12:55 AM
Somehow the "Ant and the Grasshopper" is now racist so it isn't taught in school anymore. My parents both went through the depression. They learned and taught to me "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without".
I was caught in a primer shortage in the late 70s IIRC. I decided it wasn't going to happen again and I have made sure it didn't. I have never been blessed with a lot of extra cash but a little bit at a time over the last 50 years I have bought or acquired enough components, molds, lead and such to keep me shooting probably for the rest of my life.

Right now is a bad time to start reloading and it may not get better for quite a while. If I only had a few primers right now,I would load them and keep the ammo for when I really needed it. I would buy 100 or 200 primers at what ever they cost and load them with some home cast boolits. Then practice with a revolver loading only one live round at a time along with the rest of the chambers with empties. Without looking spin the cylinder and commence firing until it goes bang. This does a couple of things. 1. It teaches you what you are doing wrong and how to do it right. 2. It does this and uses very little ammo in the process. When practicing concentrate on every shot as if was $20 per shot. Do not just plink as it allows bad habits to sneak in.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

samari46
11-21-2020, 01:51 AM
Amen to what Mustang posted. My folks were born in 1908 and 1915. And they lived through the depression. And their mind set at the time is make do or do without. I watched my dad actually redo a generator for his car including new brushes and recutting the communtator slots and redoing the communtator itself at his work bench. And did spell communtator wrong. He didn't make much money working for the railroad. Kinda rubbed off on me. Have a small bucket full of old nuts and bolts. Probably weighs about 25 lbs. More junk in the garage than you can shake a stick at. No money for a bike. Went around the area and ended up with about 6 bikes and cobbled one out of them. Agree with the instant gratification of the younger folks. Heck at 74 I'll wait until it either gets here or if possible make it myself. Frank

David2011
11-21-2020, 02:13 AM
I feel for the new reloaders that can’t find components. Like many others, I have some reserves and also like others, I don’t want to sell them. I would however donate modest quantities to someone that wanted to learn how to safely reload and have me teach them.

VariableRecall
11-21-2020, 05:14 AM
Sorry your timing is such that entry at this point is expensive but that is how life goes. I know you would like to be treated as an adult as you state but until you make your own money you are at the mercy of those supporting you. You can still do things like scrounge for lead via wheel weights, roof flashing, xray walls from demolitions, etc. and trade them for components. Where there is a will there is a way. May not be easy but neither is life. Good luck to you. Plenty of info and help here if you would like advise but many have been burned in the past.

Well I have the current restrictions of apartment life, where it's not necessarily in the lease that I'm allowed to store powder in my place. Technically, they prohibit "explosives" and wish to limit "Highly Flammables". However, Smokeless Powder is marked in that second category.

There are no parts of my lease that restrict the storage or possession of firearms on property, but I'm keeping them both ammunition and firearms locked. I don't want to make any unnecessary headaches for my kind landlord.

Casting my own lead is certainly out of the question until I have a more permanent address. However, I'm still peeking in and doing my research regarding the procedures.

I'm quite thankful that there are a variety of sells that offer boolits both PC'd and lubed to help get me started at a fair price.

Looking through potentially 15lbs of their extra fancy, quality controlled Lyman #2 would cost me a little less than the same amount to purchase finished Boolits from Hoosier Bullets at around 10 cents apiece. That way, I don't even need to worry about splattering lead of myself!

While my .38 158gn SWC's have a gorgeous, thick coating of Hi Tek, while GalvinGround's 200gn .45 SWC's have a coating that's flaking off even in storage. I would call it a fluke, but it's wholly understandable that you can't always get perfect quality from an independent manufacturer. For the price, it's a very competitive to the lead itself.

I also see that I have a fine opportunity to support the small businesses manufacturing these things until I have the capability to do it on my own.

beezapilot
11-21-2020, 07:57 AM
Somehow at the trap club when it comes to hulls, I've gone from being "the scroungy dumpster diver" to "the guy that's been hoggin' all the hulls". At the range I've transformed from "he's got nothin' better to do than pick up brass" to "Hey buddy, know were I can get some components?". At the local roofing company "the moron that pays twice scrap price" to "that is all you'll pay??????". At yard sales I pick up non-running generators, rebuild the carbs and every hurricane that shows up on the weather report they're out the door to people who will fill them with gas, test run them, and let them sit for a few years.. lawn mowers at the side of the road... repeat... repeat... People are short sighted when it comes to the ebb and flow as they have everything all the time. Cheaper to throw it away and buy new until you can't. I'm so grateful for growing up on a fiscally challenged farm, habits die hard.

Froogal
11-21-2020, 08:32 AM
It's ironic isn't it.

The difference is that there is no shortage of silver. Never has been, never will be. Silver is something that you buy in hopes of reselling at a profit. It is not good for anything else. You cannot eat it, and if push comes to shove when there is NO food to be bought or bartered, silver is worthless. PRIMERS, on the other hand, WILL put food on the table, and help to protect what we already have.

Bookworm
11-21-2020, 08:36 AM
The difference is that there is no shortage of silver. Never has been, never will be. Silver is something that you buy in hopes of reselling at a profit. It is not good for anything else. You cannot eat it, and if push comes to shove when there is NO food to be bought or bartered, silver is worthless. PRIMERS, on the other hand, WILL put food on the table, and help to protect what we already have.

So, you want to control the price of only certain things, like food or the method by which to obtain food.

Which means you would control the food supply.

Nothing dictatorial about that, is there. I'm certain you have my best interest at heart.

JSnover
11-21-2020, 08:59 AM
It's ironic isn't it.

100% correct but it won't matter. I've argued economics on this forum and others and found it to be pointless for the most part.
Reloaders complain about the price of lead because that's our precious metal; the price of silver doesn't mean much to us. I'd be shocked if the silver buyers didn't complain about the price of silver but the cost of reloading components doesn't mean much to them.
In a world built on double standards, that's just the way it is. It's "smart business" when I have a chance to buy anything low and sell it high. It's a ripoff when anyone else does it :smile:

FISH4BUGS
11-21-2020, 09:27 AM

Must be something about we New Hampshire folks....no more comments in this thread from me either.
I just hope people learn from this shortage.

dverna
11-21-2020, 12:27 PM
I stopped reading after Mustang's post. I agree with every word of it.

I started the slow build up of "stuff" about 15 years ago. I did without other things to make the investments. I will never forget one instance. I was a new trap shooter and bought a ton of shot for $22/bag. Everyone at the lunch counter at the club laughed at me....until it climbed to $32/bag a few months later....and some expected me to sell it for $22/bag.

I have factory pistol ammunition that I will be selling. It will not be offered on this site. If I ask 15% below market value, I will be ostracized by the "grasshoppers" as a deplorable hoarder and speculator. There are buyers on Gunbroker who will establish the "fair and reasonable" price.

I feel empathy for those just starting...not for others who have been shooting for more than 6 years, unless they are dirt poor. I help out the locals in those circumstances who are my real friends. IMHO, anyone with more than a dozen guns, that cannot afford to shoot them, should do some hard thinking about priorities.

Froogal
11-21-2020, 12:39 PM
So, you want to control the price of only certain things, like food or the method by which to obtain food.

Which means you would control the food supply.

Nothing dictatorial about that, is there. I'm certain you have my best interest at heart.

NO. I would only be in control of MY food supply. In other words, I will protect what I already have. Matthew chapter 7, verse 12. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Bookworm
11-21-2020, 01:10 PM
NO. I would only be in control of MY food supply. In other words, I will protect what I already have. Matthew chapter 7, verse 12. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

This is what I expect from others: The free flow of goods and services at market prices.

I don't expect someone to say " well, it should cost $4000 to repair your vehicle, but I'll buy the parts myself and repair it for $500."

Nor do I want them to attempt to charge me $7000.

That is gouging.

For someone to sanctimoniously declare "I will pay (1/4 market price) for my primers, and anyone wanting more is gouging." is ridiculous.

I'm sure they would be happy to sell silver at $6/oz, even though right now it's over $25.

Although, I do realize I'm wasting my time regarding this subject. There are too many folks on this forum who are, and will remain, unprepared. Probably throughout their entire life.

Proverbs 21:20
There is desirable treasure, And oil in the dwelling of the wise, But a foolish man squanders it.

dtknowles
11-21-2020, 01:11 PM
It's a mindset, not who you are or what you want to be, but what you have, not you. Look at those things. What can you do with it? Think outside the box!

I have already read your next post so I get where you are going but this post can be misinterpreted. It is more important who you are than what you have. Do not set your value based on your wealth or possessions. You are not what you own.

Tim

dtknowles
11-21-2020, 01:23 PM
Tim:
I'll give you an example. A soda can, aluminum. Shims for a scope, shims for wood projects, a #11BP cap, gas checks, etc

Quite some years ago I decided to prepare for shortages. I prepared by not building a huge stockpile but by learning how to make primers, how to make black powder and white powder. I have muzzleloaders and cap and ball revolvers. I do have a fair amount of ammo and primers and powder. I have so much brass that I was selling it until I got tired of the hassle of shipping it. I took a lot of low value brass to the scrap yard.

I understand that if things go south, ammo, primers and such will be good things to have just like gold, silver, booze, over the counter medicines and maybe toilet paper.

I think it will be just as important to be knowledgeable. Without the internet some people will have no access to knowledge, they will know almost nothing. Without a youtube video they could not fix anything.

Tim

leadeye
11-21-2020, 01:44 PM
I'm wondering how long it will be before the EPA blocks citizen purchases of lead.

MUSTANG
11-21-2020, 02:10 PM
Two Homolies:

(One) Two days ago I was driving and turning onto another road via the Underpass. To the left was a person with the cardboard sign saying "Anything Will Help". He had a tattered coat, and patched shirt and trouser standing outside with a slight drizzle. I was on my way to the Veterans Food Pantry to donate a bunch of canned goods and soups the wife had cleared from the pantry because they were nearing the suggested shelf life. I told the man "I Will NOT GIVE YOU MONEY"; but I gave him two cans of soup - which as I began my turn at the light change he rapidly went and deposited in his old ratty back pack. I believe in this instance I did the right thing ; and there will be benefit and appreciation by the individual. Often times I see "Beggars" along the road at the Northern House who have the latest and greatest "Outdoor Sports Clothing", and new boots, and $500.00 hacking packs. This makes one cautious in their donations. Years ago in Morehead City North Carolina the wife and I had just been transferred to Cherry Point MCAS and had bought a house that had been the Old Baptist Parsonage which had set empty for 7 years and needed painting, repairs, and lots of yard work. We saw a man at the local strip mall who had the card board sign "Will Work for Food". We stopped and i started discussing the work I needed help with: Nope I'm allergic to paint, Nope I have a back problem and can't rake leave and bend over picking up brush, Nope I have a fear of heights and can't help with the roof, ..... So I thanked him and did not contribute; but went in to do our shopping for r[house stuff. Leaving we saw the man walking down the road a 1/2 block ahead, so my wife and I decided to "Shadow Him". He turned down the next block, got into a brand new Mercedes, and drove away. Yes a single example; but one that makes me hesitant to GIVE MONEY to people, and caused a desire to see some minimal exchange in return for help.

(Two): I have a friend who owns a business that specializes in Arranging, provisioning, and catering parties. His business has been in the toilet since February. He has as long as possible carried his staff during these "Lock Down" cratered business periods. He is down from about 75 FT/PT staff to maybe a dozen and fears he will have to cut even more of his Staff (Friends all). He likes to build AR platform guns - none of that the last 6 months, and he likes to shoot(but does limited reloading). Two weeks ago he held a Halloween Party for all his Staff's children; trying to keep their spirits up. My wife and I were invited; and my friend introduced me to a friend of his who left the Navy about 8 months ago (Navy SEAL). turns out his friend loves to shoot 9mm; but alas - no ammo and he never had a real opportunity to learn to reload because of hectic schedules, back to back deployments, and overcommitments for years (Been there done that - I understand and empathize). Any way; the three of us are getting together in a week or so for a few days in a row to reload. My friend and I will bring our "Resources to the Table", and the former Navy Seal will bring his work ethic and determination to learn about reloading together. We will share camaraderie, old stories, and turn a diverse set of components into ammunition that each of the three of us can use. I'll be bringing my casting equipment, several dozens of molds, and Powder Coating/Oven setups for Cast Boolits. I'll also bring my Swaging equipment and several hundred feet of Copper Tubing to make Jacketed Bullets.

Moral of the Harangue: We need to help each other out. We need to be compassionate with others, yet we must also consider some level of accountability for those seeking our help. My opinion is we will see challenging times for at least the next 4 years; we need to be ready to support and assist each other; and to bring the wayward Prodigal Sons of society into our community if they see the wrongness of their past ways and change.

JSnover
11-21-2020, 04:37 PM
Moral of the Harangue: We need to help each other out. We need to be compassionate with others, yet we must also consider some level of accountability for those seeking our help. My opinion is we will see challenging times over at least the next 4 years; we need to be ready to support and assist each others; and to bring the wayward Prodigal Sons of society into our community if they see the wrongness of their past ways and change.

Agreed. The OP was just talking about the explosion of new reloaders (no pun intended) amid the shortage of components. I'm as tired as anyone else of constantly hearing "I'm new to this and can't get anything" but the correct response should not be "Well, I guess it sucks to be you."
This is a prime opportunity to welcome new people, to help them out, and above all to make sure they're on the right side of the political fence. The next four years are gonna be tough.

Froogal
11-21-2020, 04:52 PM
Agreed. The OP was just talking about the explosion of new reloaders (no pun intended) amid the shortage of components. I'm as tired as anyone else of constantly hearing "I'm new to this and can't get anything" but the correct response should not be "Well, I guess it sucks to be you."
This is a prime opportunity to welcome new people, to help them out, and above all to make sure they're on the right side of the political fence. The next four years are gonna be tough.

You are 100% correct. IF I had excess reloading components, (more than I will need until this situation goes away) I would sell some for what I have in it.

JohnSmiles
11-21-2020, 05:39 PM
I got in to the reloading thing in the late 70's, maybe early 80's. Once upon a time I shot a lot, and reloaded for both a hobby and for affordable shooting.
I haven't been shooting as much as I would prefer the last few years, instead working and finally making decent money lately.
I never owned any of the so called assault weapons. In fact only my .22 Weatherby rifle and a few handguns are even semi auto. All my long guns except that one are either bolt, lever, pump or single shot. So I was never really prone to shooting massive amounts of ammo as fast as I could pull the trigger.
I buy extra components when they are plentiful and reasonable. I am currently well stocked on almost all my calibers, except my latest acquisition, and have plenty of components to reload for quite some time. And unless things take a really bad turn for the worst, which they very well may here shortly, I am in no jeopardy.
I am also NOT out shooting up what I do have to any degree.
I have family and friends who do not reload, nor stock up, and may need my help.
This is the worst shortage I have ever experienced, and it will take years for us to recover, IF we recover.
Putting two of the most radically corrupted fools in America in office right now is a really bad move at a really bad time.
A couple of executive orders could render reloading components virtually impossible to obtain by anyone.
Along with ammo.
American ammo factories could be forced to turn all their resources to providing ammo for the military only, and use our tax dollars to pay for every single round.
And a total ban on all imports of any ammunition.
Yes, that IS the worst possible scenario..........but it is also all too possible.
So chill out, don't waste too much ammo right now, and pray for our country.

Winger Ed.
11-21-2020, 06:15 PM
I If I ask 15% below market value, I will be ostracized by the "grasshoppers" as a deplorable hoarder and speculator.

Back when gas was $4. a gallon, I was talking to a guy at work who was complaining about the rip off, and gouging, etc.

I told him it was too bad he didn't have a oil well in his back yard so he could sell its production for 1/2 the
market value and do his part to bring gas prices down.

The fella didn't talk to me for a month.

john.k
11-21-2020, 07:43 PM
If I had bought up with the plan of reselling at high prices at time of shortage,then I would be greedy.....but I bought up when components were offered cheap to clear surplus,as happens from time to time.I have no plans of reselling anything,and if someone is desperate for a few rounds of ammo to protect himself ,then I will gladly give him six primers........but I certainly will not sell him 10k carton ,I have no need of a few bucks,I just want to be able to do what I want to do.

MrWolf
11-22-2020, 09:06 AM
Well I have the current restrictions of apartment life, where it's not necessarily in the lease that I'm allowed to store powder in my place. Technically, they prohibit "explosives" and wish to limit "Highly Flammables". However, Smokeless Powder is marked in that second category.

There are no parts of my lease that restrict the storage or possession of firearms on property, but I'm keeping them both ammunition and firearms locked. I don't want to make any unnecessary headaches for my kind landlord.

Casting my own lead is certainly out of the question until I have a more permanent address. However, I'm still peeking in and doing my research regarding the procedures.

I'm quite thankful that there are a variety of sells that offer boolits both PC'd and lubed to help get me started at a fair price.

Looking through potentially 15lbs of their extra fancy, quality controlled Lyman #2 would cost me a little less than the same amount to purchase finished Boolits from Hoosier Bullets at around 10 cents apiece. That way, I don't even need to worry about splattering lead of myself!

While my .38 158gn SWC's have a gorgeous, thick coating of Hi Tek, while GalvinGround's 200gn .45 SWC's have a coating that's flaking off even in storage. I would call it a fluke, but it's wholly understandable that you can't always get perfect quality from an independent manufacturer. For the price, it's a very competitive to the lead itself.

I also see that I have a fine opportunity to support the small businesses manufacturing these things until I have the capability to do it on my own.

My point was more to the fact that money seems to be a primary issue along with availability. Go to every gas station that changes tires and ask about wheel weights, ask contractors for lead from roof flashing or old shower demolitions, etc. Basically cost you some gas money or a few dollars. You can't melt lead but you can sort and accumulate then trade those for other items. Always a way to do something if you are willing. Good luck.

FISH4BUGS
11-22-2020, 11:45 AM
My point was more to the fact that money seems to be a primary issue along with availability. Go to every gas station that changes tires and ask about wheel weights, ask contractors for lead from roof flashing or old shower demolitions, etc. Basically cost you some gas money or a few dollars. You can't melt lead but you can sort and accumulate then trade those for other items. Always a way to do something if you are willing. Good luck.

....and I think that is half the fun of casting and reloading - the scrounging and trading of stuff. You would be surprised at how much lead you can find simply by asking.
You can cast, lube and size bullets then trade them for things you might need.
Reloads are traded for things like seedling veggies in the spring.
Try it....you might enjoy the fun.

MrWolf
11-22-2020, 07:58 PM
I totally agree. Scrounging around for stuff I could easily buy is part of the whole enjoyable process.

1I-Jack
11-22-2020, 09:13 PM

PM me

gbrown
11-22-2020, 09:18 PM
At my old storage spot, about 10 years ago, we were friendly with everyone. I'd be smelting outside and every one would stop to see what I was "cooking ." They weren't reloaders, but found it interesting. They would drop off old sinkers, nets, pieces of lead they didn't want. Be surprised how that adds up.

dustydog
11-22-2020, 10:06 PM
That was fantastic. People have to wake up .

kevin c
11-23-2020, 05:12 AM
I totally agree. Scrounging around for stuff I could easily buy is part of the whole enjoyable process.

Yeah, the looking can be tedious, but very satisfying when you score. I get the same satisfaction casting and loading ammo.

But, as was said before, maybe it's a mindset born of different times. I load lots of pistol ammo on a very basic progressive press (SDB) that I've owned for twenty five or so years. I feel no need to spend a whole lot of money for new reloading gear, though new and younger guys seem to mostly view ammo loading as a chore, and in buying the latest and fastest reloading systems can spend twenty times the money I did. I am just not willing to spend the money they are, though I am at a point in my life where long time frugality may have put me on better financial footing than many of them.

Different times, different sensibilities, different priorities.

MOA
11-23-2020, 09:03 AM
It is amazing how fast it all disappeared. I've looked online and on the shelves of my local businesses and empty is mostly what I find. Glad I learned to save when I could. Component availability runs in cycles just like elections. They are the key leading indicators. Once recognized its easy to know when to start increasing your inventory levels.

beezapilot
11-23-2020, 07:53 PM
Just sayin- contact your local metal detecting club, they were tossing lead they found until I asked them to save it for me.

Mongrelcat
11-24-2020, 03:43 AM
I dont see what's going on with the price as usury. Folks want to load, and they need components to do so. I have several different types of brass, ammo, primers and powder I could sell. If I sell it for January prices, i cant replace it. So that says supply is wane or inflation is catching up. When i set out to buy brass or other supplies I have to pay what's asked or do without. Some of the problem is some reloaders are cheap by nature another is the young guys coming up are not as patient. They jump for the quick go instead of building a kit a piece at a time as I have for the last 50 years. I will offer some thing's for sale to better position myself for other purchases or trades but I'm not gonna rush to arm someone that doesnt even appreciate the craft with discount prices just because I bought over time at more reasonable prices. Today there are very few pockets of primers left to explore. I know of none. If I sell my small primers for 50 bucks a K, I cant replace them for 4 times that. I recently saw primers on gun broker for over 300.00 per thousand. There were 16 bids and it still had hrs to go. If someone comes with a good trade, then I'm your Huckleberry. If it's a whine and he haw session i loose patience.