PDA

View Full Version : New member intros?

namsag
11-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Is this the appropriate forum for new member intros? I been lurking around for quite a while, reading up. Getting back into some casting after a long long time away.

56 years old, been shooting all my life, reloading for about 30 years. Did a little casting years and years ago in pure lead for muzzleloaders, .44 round balls and .58 Minies.

Now looking to get back in to cast bullets for my new Ruger SAs, Vaqueros and Bisley Blackhawks in .45 Colt, wish someone had told me how much fun these are a long time ago!

So just getting back, have my old Lee Production Pot Drip-a Matic and a Lyman 452424 I got off ebay (moulds are sure hard to find right now!). For my first efforts I just ordered some 16-1 from Rotometals and I got a batch of 4719dave's range lead. I am looking hard at a RCBS Pro-Melt 2. I have a hundred lbs or so of pure lead left over from the old days so I will be looking to figure out how to make an alloy suitable for the 452424.

This is a really cool site, lots of great information.

Best regards from north Mississippi,
namsag

gwpercle
11-19-2020, 03:51 PM
Welcome from next door ... Louisiana !
Times a wasting ... fire up your Production Pot and try out that new Ebay mould .
You got lead , scrounge up some 50-50 bar solder to mix with it ... or wheel weights mix COWW and Lead 50/50... Mississippi hasn't outlawed lead yet so wheel weights should be around . Cull out the new Zinc wheel weights ... they mess up your alloy .

45 Colt boolits don't have to be hard ...just sized correctly ... chamber throat , forcing cone and barrel ...I hope all of yours play nice together . Size trumps hardness every time !
Elmer Keith - 1 part tin to 20 parts lead for all normal pressure loads - 45 Colt
Gary

Der Gebirgsjager
11-19-2020, 04:00 PM
Welcome to the forum, namsag. There is a thread welcoming newbies, but it's only used by about 50%, so you're fine here. I think you'll enjoy this site immensely. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here who have been casting and reloading for many years, plus other interesting topics as well. It's a good place to be, and we're happy to have you aboard!

DG

BigAlofPa.
11-19-2020, 04:10 PM
Hello and welcome on board. A lot of great folks here. I think you will enjoy it here.

SSGOldfart
11-19-2020, 05:20 PM
Welcome you have found right place for information.[smilie=w:

GregLaROCHE
11-19-2020, 05:22 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. There’s a lot of knowledge to be found here. If you’re still looking for another mould, Lee Precision makes a lot of different sizes at an economical price. They are a great place to start. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

No_1
11-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Welcome to the sight. Look around, read some, learn some, help some, and most importantly make friends!

StuBach
11-19-2020, 06:30 PM
Welcome sir, happy to have you around.

Don’t forget to add a rough guage where you’re from to your profile. A lot of casters will offer to do in person swaps or give assistance if they know where you’re at and are close.

Markopolo
11-19-2020, 06:33 PM
Greetings from SE Alaska

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-19-2020, 06:49 PM
SNIP>>>

This is a really cool site, lots of great information.

Best regards from north Mississippi,
namsag
Welcome from Minnesota.
There is a ton of info available here.
As to your pure lead...look around for some Linotype for blending, it's my preferred alloy to blend with pure lead.
Rotometals also has linotype if you can't find any locally.