PDA

View Full Version : swaging bullets using lead shot

akajun
11-19-2020, 12:42 PM
So an idea popped in my head. Has anyone swaged bullets using lead shot basically making a pre fragmented bullet? Either full lead, half jacket, spire point, hollow point, etc. I was thinking this would be a way to get better expansion on subsonic rifle projectiles like 300 BLK or subsonic 357.

NoZombies
11-19-2020, 04:30 PM
Various factors play into the results, but as a rule, lead shot can be contained within a jacket, and when it impacts, it will be explosive (the thinner the jacket the better for this effect). But shot needs something to hold it all together in order to be fired as a solid. Commercial shot is coated with graphite (and sometimes other stuff maybe?) and it doesn't do a good job of sticking together by design. Cleaned lead shot doesn't have the graphite, but still won't stick together when compressed by a swaging press (beyond mechanical union, which won't get you far). You might be able to glue a bunch of shot together with something and then swage it, but if the impact on target will be enough to cause it to fragment, then the pressure from the shot likely would as well, so I'd say at least put a gas check on the bottom to ensure the pressure from firing doesn't cause fragmentation before it leaves the bore, a half jacket might be better.

As I said, inside a jacket it works fine (think glaser safety slugs, which are literally this concept on a comercial level). Otherwise it's application is pretty limited in my experience.

243winxb
11-19-2020, 05:01 PM
Sierra makes the core of the bullet from four lead alloys: 6% antimony-4% tin, 6% antimony, 3% antimony, 1 1/2% antimony and pure lead.

Magnum lead shot has 4 or 5% antimony. Chilled has a hardness factor of 2% antimony. But not 2% alloy. Hardness is from water dropping.

Like Empty Shot Capsules from Speer. Make your own of the correct diameter. Add glue to the shot?

Pipefitter
11-19-2020, 07:36 PM
Search for " Glaser Safety Slug " and you should find your answer. #12 shot, core seated in a jacket, with a "polymer" tip. I know they made handgun ammo, and IIRC at one time or another I saw some 30-06 or maybe it was 308 ammo with the Glaser Safety Slug label on it.
I never bought any as it was something on the order of $20 for 5 rounds back in the late 1980's to early 1990's

rancher1913
11-19-2020, 09:37 PM
just get some powdered copper, corbin sells it.

M.A.D
11-20-2020, 05:41 AM
For my 300 whisper, i use a 1.4 inch 0.015 pure copper jacket.. number 8 shot, coated in moly , compressed in the core die, then seat in the jacket and form...

kimoleto
11-20-2020, 10:46 AM
You just use a swaging press? No bonding agent?

akajun
11-20-2020, 05:45 PM
For my 300 whisper, i use a 1.4 inch 0.015 pure copper jacket.. number 8 shot, coated in moly , compressed in the core die, then seat in the jacket and form...

That’s what I’m interested in, do you shoot them subsonic? How’s the accuracy at 100yds? Ever kill any deer or hogs ?
All the animals I’ve shot with my 300 subs, either 220 smk’s or cast lead do not expand and pass through leaving very little blood making for tough tracking