PDA

View Full Version : Loctite question

JeffinNZ
12-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Team.

I lieu of a crimp on my .380 Rook smokeless loads to generate consistent ignition and accuracy it has been suggested that Loctite on the heel of the bullet could be the answer. I have tried Loctite 222 and the results were better than none or no crimp. 222 is low strength.

Any ideas what grade might best serve me without 'gluing' the bullet in the case and pushing pressures too high?

Medium strength? 243 oil resistant? 262?

leftiye
12-12-2008, 12:41 PM
A lee factory crimp die might be found in the correct size, and might do what is needed to crimp to the heel of the boolit. I'm a little leery of adhesives there, but if they didn't cause complications, it might work.

JeffinNZ
12-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Yes, I agree on the crimp die. My concern is the heel shank on my bullet is maybe only 1/8 inch long and there is not a lot of room for error or displacement. The bullet could really do with a crimp groove at the top of the heel where is meets the body of the bullet.

missionary5155
12-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Greetings Now this is a neet idea... I wonder how well it would work on the 41 Colt heel boolit... I wonder about some of the off brand Superglues also...

JeffinNZ
12-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I had loaded up 10 rounds with the Loctite 222. A bit long winded to make it work at best.

1) Clean the inside of the case mouth with Chore Boy.
2) Flare case mouth as the heel is too fat for .38 cases (heel is .363 not .358).
3) Seat bullet and run 'round' upside down into .375 lube sizer. Swaged case back to spec and swages heel to correct size. Also sizes major part of bullet .375.
4) Remove bullet from case, prime and charge.
5) Apply small amount of 222 to heel and insert back in case mouth rotating on seating to ensure even distribution of 'tack'.
6) Set aside for 24 hours to fully cure.
7) Hand lube and shoot.

Will go to range tomorrow and report back.

buck1
12-25-2008, 04:29 PM
superglue??

Dale53
12-26-2008, 01:29 AM
This is NOT a good idea. If locktite or other adhesive really glues the bullet to the case you can have pressures go out the roof. The military has done extensive experiments with this to waterproof ammo. They use an asphaltum compound BUT they also have extensive pressure testing equipment and KNOW what works and doesn't.

There's GOT to be a better way.

Please stay safe guys and gals...

Dale53

largom
12-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Dale53 said it all. Play with matches and you WILL get burn't.
I have an old C&H tool that will knurl a crimp groove into a boolit at any position desired, don't know if they are still in business. Loctite and Super-glue would scare me to death.
LEE might custom make a factory crimp die for you.
LARRY

fishhawk
12-26-2008, 09:01 AM
yes the C&H canuler tool is still made bought one from C&H just last year. steve k