PDA

View Full Version : What's the TP status in your town?

Idaho45guy
11-18-2020, 05:04 AM
Back in April, I was stunned to hear that there was a TP shortage happening across the country. I was down to a few rolls, and being a bachelor, it was low on my list of priorities. But I heard the rumors on a couple of gun forums and was able to secure an extra bulk pack before it all disappeared.

My new practice is to have at least one bulk pack in reserve, which is about 6 months of usage for me and my part-time girlfriend.

Then a couple of days ago, I started seeing posts on a gun forum that due to the latest increase in COVID-1984 cases and subsequent lockdowns on the Left Coast, that TP was again disappearing.

Unbelievable!

I checked my stash and had half a bulk pack and one in reserve. Okay, good. Surely the madness hadn't reached my area, some 300 miles from the Left Coast, yet.

I headed into town yesterday for my weekly supply run and my girlfriend texted me and said the Walmart in the town she works in was wiped out. She told me to grab some in the Idaho town I go to.

I stopped by the Walmart in Idaho and found this...

The TP and paper towels were again, completely gone.

Luckily, I stopped by a grocery chain store and secured another bulk pack before I left town, so I'm good for about a year.

Has anyone else noticed if the TP is gone from their local shelves? It disappeared in a matter of days around here.

FLINTNFIRE
11-18-2020, 05:20 AM
Well the king has declared another major catastrophe and I am glad that when safeway had the good stuff in during the lull in storm i bought 5 packs as i have a house full between my parents living upstairs and a older daughter and her husband and child and my 3 young children in my house , this insanity of decrees needs to end , this is the most insane I have ever seen in my life . Pandemic my *** , life has been going on for centuries before and this is nothing , live life like it is meant to be lived and stop being scared of living people or you are not living , if you are afraid , fine , be afraid , I am not living in fear , for when it is my time it will be my time and I have not bowed my knee to no pansy *** liberal and I will refuse to bow to anyone except the Lord Jesus and his Father .

GasGuzzler
11-18-2020, 06:43 AM
I knew when the store had limit signs out again for the first time since spring we were in for another run. When people see the limit signs they buy extra. I have a wife a four kids at home so...

Three44s
11-18-2020, 07:24 AM
The supply of TP is kind of crappy.

Three44s

RU shooter
11-18-2020, 07:31 AM
It's panic buying at Wally World again around here every other little grocery store has plenty on the shelves . I'll pay that extra buck a pack just so I don't have to deal with that store ! Hate that place ......

Cargo
11-18-2020, 08:23 AM
My local grocery store was completely stocked. My family's biggest vice is Lysol wipes but with three kids and a cat I guess that's normal.

10-x
11-18-2020, 09:33 AM
Long time friends daughter is high up in management of major East coast grocery chain. Received an email from her back in September saying another “ run” on TP and paper towels would most likely happen. BIG question is how did they know before hand??????

jonp
11-18-2020, 09:48 AM
Long time friends daughter is high up in management of major East coast grocery chain. Received an email from her back in September saying another “ run” on TP and paper towels would most likely happen. BIG question is how did they know before hand??????

Purchase trends automatically sent as it's bought at the store. One of the benefits of scanning merchandise is real time inventory and recognizing upticks in items so each store can carry the needed volume

Blanket
11-18-2020, 09:58 AM
hopefully the hoarders are buying condoms as well because they sure don't need to bread

Huskerguy
11-18-2020, 10:20 AM
Live in a town of about 50k in central KS that is a shopping hub. I rarely go into stored but was getting supplies for a hunting trip. Stopped at Sam's and asked my wife how she was on TP, she grew up way out in the sticks and learned to plan ahead - said she was good but she wanted to see what they had anyway. Totally gone, this was a Saturday and noticed it at some other places.

You are going to see a lot more of this I am afraid.

Bent Ramrod
11-18-2020, 10:40 AM
It isn’t just paper goods and bleach. Our grocery stores have a lot of empty shelf space in a lot of categories, from canned goods to frozen pizza.

They’re starting to resemble those GUM Stores we used to hear about in the Soviet Union—modern aisles, lighting, layout and carts, but only a few rutabagas in the vegetable bins and empty shelves from periodic shortages of products that the Party commissars couldn’t provide. Except to themselves, of course.

They’re foisting the living conditions of the Third World upon us, whether we like it or not. And they’ll string this out until the next sniffle season, whereupon there will be another seasonal cold or flu that they must “protect” us from.

Bull-Moose
11-18-2020, 10:47 AM
All papergoods are gone in my area. Unbelievable.

bedbugbilly
11-18-2020, 10:56 AM
My wife reported that two of the stores she was in on Monday when she likes to do the grocery shopping, both had bare shelves. Same with some other items that were short earlier this year.

Let's see . . . . . we have a secluded hermit who somehow claims to have won the election - he talks about us all having a hard time this winter with the Covid - so we suddenly have shortages again. My guess the TP shortage is due to "Naughty Nancy" and her cronies diverting it all to Washington since that is the main center where most folks are "full of it".

I guess it's time to have another semi load of corncobs dumped in the driveway to use since the hoarders are at it again?

10-x
11-18-2020, 07:21 PM
bedbug, man you are so right. The dc swamp is not like normal one caused by water, dc swamp is caused by———— fill in the blank, lol.

truckerdave397
11-18-2020, 07:38 PM
I was at a Sams club on Sunday and I see this big long line of shoppers in the store. I ask what is going on. I was told that TP was about to be unloaded from the truck. When if was brought out it was an orderly dash to pick it up. The two pallets lasted about as long as I did with my first sexual experience with a real woman.

bangerjim
11-18-2020, 07:45 PM
That is why we always keep at least TWO 48 roll packages of Charmin from Costco in storage!

rockrat
11-18-2020, 07:54 PM
Had a decent amount of Angel Soft at our wally world today, but that was it. Some paper towels. Bread isle half empty, milk supply was low. Heck, canned cat food was dwindling.

memtb
11-18-2020, 07:58 PM
We don’t go to town very often.....I’ll look when we go! 90+ miles to Walmart.....may be a while before we know the status there! memtb

EDG
11-18-2020, 08:03 PM
I order my groceries so I rarely go to the store but my daughter reports on her visits to the grocery store.
We get all our paper products - towels, TP and paper plates from a Super HEB in an affluent yuppie neighborhood. During her last trip she saw almost no paper products of any kind. Even the paper plates were wiped out.

dtknowles
11-18-2020, 08:04 PM
saying something is going to be a shortage will cause it to become a shortage right now.

Tim

Stephen Cohen
11-18-2020, 08:29 PM
At the risk of upsetting those who panic buy. I believe that the majority of shopping is done by women and it concerns me that this is their priority. I myself would be more concerned with food and water, without which the TP is rather useless. We see the same stupidity in this country as well,. Could it be that the thought of spending the China flu lockdown with family gives them the trots so they don't wish to be caught short. With all the fake news about President Trump I would have thought there would be no paper shortages. Regards Stephen

Beagle333
11-18-2020, 08:43 PM
'Stopped at Winn Dixie today.... TP shelves fully stocked. No shortage here.

shaune509
11-18-2020, 09:10 PM
My eldest daughter went to Winco store last Saturday and said checkout took 20 minuets, pre Governors Sunday orders. Youngest did a pickup order for us from Wallmart for tooday, 5 items were substituted and 6 out of stock for our regular food stuffs. I did go to Costco 2 weeks back for tp, towels and dog food, other than the dog food have not had to go in there for paper products since the first rush when I could not figure why there was such a crowd till the news that evening.Lucky I only have the 15 year old female in house so tp lasts longer than it did before divorce.
Shaune509

Four-Sixty
11-19-2020, 05:06 AM
I was at Wal-Mart last night and saw the signs out limiting purchases again. There was maybe about 20% of the shelves stocked.

abunaitoo
11-19-2020, 05:08 AM
I'm surprised that it seems ok here.
Alcohol, disinfectant and hand wipes have been hard to find for a while.
One thing we have way to much of is damacrats.
Would be nice if those would disappear.

memtb
11-19-2020, 10:17 AM
When the “tp crisis” abated after the original “covid panic” we made our first tp purchase (1 case of 48 rolls) in two years.....just to help replenish our inventory. Our intention was 2 cases, but were limited by Costco to one!

When you only go make a major shopping trip about once every 6 months.....it’s a bummer to be limited to one. We should’ve gone across town to Sam’s and purchased another! Now, I’m concerned for the long term.....may only be good for a year or so! :) memtb

Buzz Krumhunger
11-19-2020, 03:09 PM
There was a line of probably 50 people in front of Costco here on the north side of San Antonio at 8:55 this morning. I drove across the highway to the HEB grocery store. There might have been 10 people shopping there and the shelves all had stock on them. Not fully stocked, but more than adequately stocked.

bangerjim
11-19-2020, 03:14 PM
Just got back from Sam's Club and there were pallets of huge packages of TP. No shortages here in the Desert Southwest where I am.

Also earlier this week Fry's Food & Drug (Kroger) had plenty of paper products..........just no toilet bowl cleaner!

And no long lines to get in, only at the check-out registers because they need to hire more people!!!!!!

Idaho45guy
11-19-2020, 06:53 PM
Just got back from Sam's Club and there were pallets of huge packages of TP. No shortages here in the Desert Southwest where I am.

Also earlier this week Fry's Food & Drug (Kroger) had plenty of paper products..........just no toilet bowl cleaner!

And no long lines to get in, only at the check-out registers because they need to hire more people!!!!!!

My parents have a winter home in Yuma that they are headed down to after Thanksgiving. My aunt and uncle are already there and told them to bring TP and paper towels with them since they are about gone in Yuma.

FredBuddy
11-19-2020, 07:39 PM
When I was a kid, us older ones had to
take care of the younger ones. Change
diapers - you know, the cloth ones held
on with safety pins. Rinse out the poop
in the toilet and put the dirty diaper in
the diaper pail. Then they went in the
washer and were hung on the line outside
to dry. Folded up for reuse.

We have a lot of old t-shirts and rags
around here. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Conditor22
11-19-2020, 08:06 PM
You'd think we are having a chronic diarrhea eppademic :groner:[smilie=b::dung_hits_fan:

Some brain trusts in Oregon were calling 911 because they were out of TP. :holysheep:

elmacgyver0
11-19-2020, 08:20 PM
I think the toilet paper shortage now is more related to the Biden Coup rather than the Kung Flu Coup.

MT Gianni
11-19-2020, 09:36 PM
I was at Costco today and there was plenty.

M-Tecs
11-19-2020, 09:44 PM
After the last one I increased my on hand TP supply to about a year years worth. When I get close I get more. We are good for about 1 1/2 years. Not nearly as good on paper towels much I have plenty of washable towels.

Winger Ed.
11-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Some brain trusts in Oregon were calling 911 because they were out of TP. :

Now that is funny.
It makes me wish I was a 911 operator, so I could tell them to do the 'forklift' going across the carpet like a dog.:bigsmyl2:

Wis Tom
11-19-2020, 09:54 PM
We are prepared for the TP shortage, but the primer shortage here, is what worries me. I have a nice stock, but it is so hard to go out shooting, like before, when you just don't know how long this one will last. I can see two directions in which this nation could go, and one of them isn't good, for the long term, of ammo and primers. The other direction isn't much better, but at least, a little shorter term.Just my take.

elmacgyver0
11-19-2020, 10:00 PM
We are prepared for the TP shortage, but the primer shortage here, is what worries me. I have a nice stock, but it is so hard to go out shooting, like before, when you just don't know how long this one will last. I can see two directions in which this nation could go, and one of them isn't good, for the long term, of ammo and primers. The other direction isn't much better, but at least, a little shorter term.Just my take.

Hey!, you can always poop in the yard and use corn cobs.
You are kind of screwed if you don't have primers,
Greenie Stickum Caps???
Anybody remember those?

SweetMk
11-19-2020, 10:01 PM
We are prepared for the TP shortage, but the primer shortage here, is what worries me.

I spent the day trading,,
I had a couple Sam's packs of TP, and I traded them for primers, then traded them for MORE TP..
Then traded them for a LOT of J-boolits,, which I traded for primers,, and TP,, I did keep some of the J-boolits,,

So, now I have more TP than I could use in a year, more primers than I could use in 5 years,,,
and a LOT of J-boolits for calibers I do not even shoot,,,

It was a HECK of a day,,,,,,,,,,,!! :veryconfu

[smilie=p:

memtb
11-19-2020, 11:04 PM
When I was a kid, us older ones had to
take care of the younger ones. Change
diapers - you know, the cloth ones held
on with safety pins. Rinse out the poop
in the toilet and put the dirty diaper in
the diaper pail. Then they went in the
washer and were hung on the line outside
to dry. Folded up for reuse.

We have a lot of old t-shirts and rags
around here. PROBLEM SOLVED!

I was telling people that very thing during the last tp crisis. Sooooooo many people are clueless that they “can” live without tp. Is washing “soiled” cloth my first choice, a resounding “No”! But, it is a very doable, long term answer to a crisis that really doesn’t exist! memtb

dtknowles
11-19-2020, 11:17 PM
We have a lot of cloth rags or things that can be turned into cloth rags. Note to all of you considering this they will be easier to deal with if you spray off your dirty parts before you wipe. It is not hard to put a spray nozzle on your toilet the water line is already there. Same deal with rinsing the nappies. The spray nozzle is handy. It can be as simple as the one many of us have on the kitchen sink.

Tim

Winger Ed.
11-19-2020, 11:24 PM
Sooooooo many people are clueless that they “can” live without tp. Is washing “soiled” cloth my first choice,

These modern day people are so soft.

The ancient Romans didn't even have a Sears catalog. They got by with a (communal) sea sponge on a stick.

.429&H110
11-19-2020, 11:32 PM
Local Volmart is the first one north of Mexico, TP long gone.
What got our attention was when Frys last week
ran out of milk eggs and bread. All stocked up now,
but Volmart paper isle is still bare shelves.
Was a joke going around last March
not funny; I was there:
Frys opened at 6AM for seniors only
at dawn we were all lined up, masked;
this kid cut to the front of the line
got beat back to the parking lot
by mean little old ladies swinging canes.
Kid came back got another whacking
and he says
Hey! I've got the key! Stop it!

And we voted for this?

Winger Ed.
11-20-2020, 12:34 AM
this kid cut to the front of the line got beat back to the parking lot
by mean little old ladies swinging canes. Kid came back got another whacking
and he says Hey! I've got the key! Stop it!

Little old ladies are tough.
One of the first things I tell the refugees coming down from those unexplored regions of 'Not Texas" is to be nice to them.

I tell 'em, "If you're not careful, they'll slap some manners into your ***, just like they did ours".

RogerDat
11-20-2020, 03:42 AM
Not too long ago as cases started to build the media was noting that there was increased "stocking up" of TP going on. As well as some other items. In our house we keep a bulk pack "in reserve to be replaced when opened. I checked the situation as soon as I heard the first news story we were due a pack, I bought a bigger one than usual.

Because I knew as soon as national news and local news start carrying a story about possible shortage that triggers the rush to stock up and that will clean the shelves out creating a shortage for sure. Once that happens any that appears will be snapped up due to scarcity creating value.

Early in Covid cases when they first said "cases in meat packing plants may be a problem" I went out and made sure to top off the freezer. I try to keep it full but in normal times it can get down a fair amount before getting restocked.

I used to do the same with ammo, make a shopping list of what I was getting low enough on to buy more of. Then every so often restock in bulk. Learned my lesson. Was planning to go to gun show to re-stock what I had used over the last year or so the weekend AFTER Sandy Hook shooting took place. Of course nothing was available. I like pork chops, and bacon. Chicken and the occasional beef stew or roast. So I try to avoid finding myself in the same position on food as I did on commercial ammo because that was a long lean time for ammo or reloading components.

Basics are important but it surprises me how the masses will hammer the same stuff but sort of ignore other things that are equally important or good alternatives. Not that many for toilet paper but for food? Or smokeless powder? Lot of times there are viable alternatives that don't get the pressure. I found fryer quarters when all the packages of chicken drumsticks, thighs, and breasts were gone. I guess it didn't look like chicken to some folks :-)

Heck those microfiber clothes or cloth diapers would make totally viable tushy wipes, if you had kids there is a good chance you know how to handle that. Just be sure you do NOT flush the wipes if you use those.

GasGuzzler
11-20-2020, 07:43 AM
saying something is going to be a shortage will cause it to become a shortage right now.

Tim

Yeah that was my point earlier. We need to cause panic buying of things normal people like members here do not want around.

memtb
11-20-2020, 10:54 AM
We have a lot of cloth rags or things that can be turned into cloth rags. Note to all of you considering this they will be easier to deal with if you spray off your dirty parts before you wipe. It is not hard to put a spray nozzle on your toilet the water line is already there. Same deal with rinsing the nappies. The spray nozzle is handy. It can be as simple as the one many of us have on the kitchen sink.

Tim

Tim, We’re on a water well, our water temperatures run around 55 F......a shot of that on your “tush” would really make you pucker up! 🥶 memtb

Slugster
11-20-2020, 12:16 PM
Status of TP in our town... Wiped out.

marlin39a
11-20-2020, 12:28 PM
I just returned from my local Safeway. They were completely stocked on everything. I didn’t want to get caught with my pants down, so I bought a 12 pack of TP.

Winger Ed.
11-20-2020, 05:24 PM
Just got back from our local grocery store.
All the good stuff like Charmin is gone,
but they had plenty of the 'el-cheapo' made out of old cardboard boxes and saw mill wood chips & splinters.

I'd rather do the 'forklift' on the carpet than use that stuff.

Geezer in NH
11-20-2020, 05:58 PM
There is zero TP or paper towels or yeast for sale in my town! There is no gasoline or diesel nor heating oil for sale.

Then again there are no more stores or gas stations or oil companies in the town.

The greenies voted on zoning for no gas stations or oil tanks for sale.

The 2 mom pop stores closed 15 years ago and have failed every startup ones since.

When I moved in 35 years ago it was fully Republican , now it is over whelming Demo/Communist do to the influx of retirees from the Commie state of NY,MA,CT and the brainwashing of our young.

Wife and I escaped MA 35 years ago as there we were the minority [Republican/conservitive] we embraced the conservatives here in NH and blended. Those that followed contaminated the town and county.

We understand why Bob Smith our Senator went independent in his bid for President as he said "I did not leave the Republican party, it left ME!"

dverna
11-20-2020, 06:26 PM
Very little at Walmart here. We picked up two more packs. I think we have enough for 6-9 months unless we need to help out neighbors.

perotter
11-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Just got back from our local grocery store.
All the good stuff like Charmin is gone,
but they had plenty of the 'el-cheapo' made out of old cardboard boxes and saw mill wood chips & splinters.

I'd rather do the 'forklift' on the carpet than use that stuff.

Hmmm. I only buy the stuff that is "made out of old cardboard boxes and saw mill wood chips & splinters" unless there is none to be had.

Petrol & Powder
11-20-2020, 07:04 PM
What's the TP status in your town?

Pretty much the same as everything else. You apply for a permit and prove you have need. Pay a bunch of non-refundable fees up front, stand in lines and wait for some bureaucrat to tell you to stand in a different line. Submit to a background check. Present three forms of identification and pay for the toilet paper. Then the seller holds the toilet paper for a 10 day waiting period before you can pick it up, unless it is one of those high capacity rolls, in which case there's a 30 day waiting period. All reasonable, common sense regulations for our own safety and the common good.

:D

JoeJames
11-20-2020, 07:28 PM
Aw shucks the powers in the Dem party are just getting us used to long lines and short supply, after they get in control.

Brass&Lead
11-20-2020, 09:36 PM
Paper products, bleach and Coke were wiped out at one of the stores here, but there is lots of food.

memtb
11-20-2020, 09:39 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad:[QUOTE=Petrol & Powder;5037488]What's the TP status in your town?

Pretty much the same as everything else. You apply for a permit and prove you have need. Pay a bunch of non-refundable fees up front, stand in lines and wait for some bureaucrat to tell you to stand in a different line. Submit to a background check. Present three forms of identification and pay for the toilet paper. Then the seller holds the toilet paper for a 10 day waiting period before you can pick it up, unless it is one of those high capacity rolls, in which case there's a 30 day waiting period. All reasonable, common sense regulations for our own safety and the common good.

:mad::mad::mad::mad: It’s part of the re education......learned from the ChiComs! memtb

Idaho45guy
11-20-2020, 11:44 PM
Indeed...

snowwolfe
11-21-2020, 12:00 AM
I honestly wish the supply of TP would just dry up and teach people a lesson. They would learn in a hurry it’s not the end of world to rinse a rag then run it through the washing machine. It wasn’t that long ago all moms used cotton diapers on her kids and stored the dirty diapers in a diaper pail until it was full then it was time to fill the washer.
I probably have enough old clothes laying around that I could cut them up and use them then toss in the trash.

DDriller
11-21-2020, 01:51 AM
People standing in line to get in at Costco for TP and paper towels, shelves mostly bare.

jonp
11-21-2020, 12:22 PM
I honestly wish the supply of TP would just dry up and teach people a lesson. They would learn in a hurry it’s not the end of world to rinse a rag then run it through the washing machine. It wasn’t that long ago all moms used cotton diapers on her kids and stored the dirty diapers in a diaper pail until it was full then it was time to fill the washer.
I probably have enough old clothes laying around that I could cut them up and use them then toss in the trash.

Wife said the same thing. Harbor Freight has plenty of shop rags in stock.

Plenty of TP but paper towels are disappearing. Luckily, we have several months on hand of either at all times. Since its November our freezers are full, shelves are full of canned vegetables and spaghetti sauce so enough till next summer when the garden goes in again. Plenty rice, dried beans, mashed potatoes etc too.

Better to be prepared at all times much like most on this sight with lead but that's how I was raised. Fish year round, hunt fall and winter, can the garden, pick Apple's and berries and so on. When your raised by grandparents that lived through the depression looking at lines of people that are dependent on government handouts is rather strange and people lined up to buy food because they eat out 6 days a week is weird

Petrol & Powder
11-21-2020, 01:55 PM
If you step back and look at this situation without emotion influencing your thought process, it all seems rather silly.

The production and distribution system for an item such as TP is well developed. Prior to this current madness, you could walk into a store anywhere in America and find an abundant supply of inexpensive TP on the shelves. It is an item with a huge market and a low profit margin.

Shortages can result from excessive demand or insufficient supply. The TP shortage is a result of excessive demand. It is also a demonstration of how INCREDIBLY stupid people are. People are gullible, easily panicked, easily manipulated and frankly ...dumb.

The panic buying that creates shortages are examples of how little people WANT to think for themselves. It's just easier for most people to be a part of the flock, herd, school or crowd.

We are an highly industrialized and urbanized society. Not everyone in our society can spend every waking moment: tending the garden, cutting firewood, hunting and fishing. Nor can every single able bodied person stand guard on the frontier, man a fighter jet or crew a ship. We divide up the needs of our society so that some people can grow the food, some people can defend the nation, some people can teach the children, some people can build the houses, etc. As a result of that economic system - We are FAR better off as a nation than some 3rd world country.
However that system breaks down (at least temporarily) when large portions of those 328 Million people all run to the store and buy up every single roll of toilet paper because they think THEY will not be able to get any.
Judging from the pre-COVID supply & price of toilet paper; I would say that America has an excessive manufacturing and distribution capacity of that product.

A physicists will tell you that the most common element in the universe is hydrogen. That is not correct; the most common element in the universe is stupidity.

memtb
11-21-2020, 02:32 PM
I thought it was carbon, though....I slept during and since school! :| Whichever it is......stupidity is alive and well!

The best, easiest way to avoid “panic buying”.....never allow yourself to “NEED” anything! Years of preparing, will.....prevent months/years of “needing”! memtb

Petrol & Powder
11-21-2020, 03:54 PM
You can prevent yourself from panic buying but you have NO control over the other 7.5 Billion people on earth.

memtb
11-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Let them panic.....you are only responsible for yourself and your family. Let the masses fight each other, for tp, food, or bullets.....we all, or most of us should have the ability and the “smarts” to be somewhat prepared. Do we keep our fuel tanks empty, travel with no spare tire, ect.? If we do, then these failures are on us....there is no one else to blame! memtb

PNW_Steve
11-21-2020, 10:13 PM
The TP shelves at the local market here have not been fully stocked since all of this started.

dtknowles
11-21-2020, 11:52 PM
Did my regular shopping today and they had toilet paper. Not as much as usual but still not cleaned out.

Tim

jonp
11-22-2020, 07:36 AM
Bought several rolls of papertowels. I need them to clean the windows on my truck so I don't like to run out. Otherwise, I would not have bought any. Stopped in a few Dollar Generals out of curiosity. Much toilet paper but paper towels in short supply. I would have thought that after people panicked last time and bought cases of each they would be set for a couple of years.

wjbaker1
11-22-2020, 12:04 PM
Last weekend I had heard rumors of TP buying, so I stopped into Ellijay Walmart on Saturday & Sunday (11/14&11/15)and grabbed 2 jumbo packs of Cottonelle & Bounty...along with 18 twelve packs of Pibb-Extra (but the sodas were for sister-in-law who can’t find them in Chattanooga). Then shelves were stocked about 60%.

This week Thursday & Friday, Cartersville & Calhoun Walmarts TP aisle looks like a war zone. Mostly just WM brand. Calhoun had 4 employees in the aisle stocking like mad while people would run you over trying to get a pack. BTW - on Friday they shut down the Calhoun Walmart because 25 employees tested positive for the Wuhan Flu (I doubled up on my C, D, Iron, & Zinc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlin39a
11-22-2020, 01:00 PM
Don’t worry about toilet paper. You won’t need it if the food supply ends.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-22-2020, 01:09 PM
That's funny, Marlin39a! [smilie=l: (But... true.)

Idz
11-22-2020, 01:19 PM
The little tyrant governor in New Mexico ordered another lockdown since her last one didn't work. She berated people for panic buying but then threw in another wrinkle that she'll shutdown grocery stores if they have employees test positive. Many small towns in NM have only one grocery so folks have to drive 50+ miles if it gets shutdown. Even big cities like Las Cruces got a WalMart shutdown so those folks drive over to El Paso, which is a virus hotspot, to shop. When will the insanity end?

Remmy4477
11-22-2020, 09:59 PM
Me and the wife stopped in at our local dollar store for a few things.
Plenty of TP on the shelves, picked up two mega packs to add to our stock.

Out of easy off oven cleaner, or any other brand, in fact none available anywhere in town...
Whats that about???

JoeJames
11-23-2020, 07:23 AM
If you step back and look at this situation without emotion influencing your thought process, it all seems rather silly.

The production and distribution system for an item such as TP is well developed. Prior to this current madness, you could walk into a store anywhere in America and find an abundant supply of inexpensive TP on the shelves. It is an item with a huge market and a low profit margin.

Shortages can result from excessive demand or insufficient supply. The TP shortage is a result of excessive demand. It is also a demonstration of how INCREDIBLY stupid people are. People are gullible, easily panicked, easily manipulated and frankly ...dumb.

The panic buying that creates shortages are examples of how little people WANT to think for themselves. It's just easier for most people to be a part of the flock, herd, school or crowd.

We are an highly industrialized and urbanized society. Not everyone in our society can spend every waking moment: tending the garden, cutting firewood, hunting and fishing. Nor can every single able bodied person stand guard on the frontier, man a fighter jet or crew a ship. We divide up the needs of our society so that some people can grow the food, some people can defend the nation, some people can teach the children, some people can build the houses, etc. As a result of that economic system - We are FAR better off as a nation than some 3rd world country.
However that system breaks down (at least temporarily) when large portions of those 328 Million people all run to the store and buy up every single roll of toilet paper because they think THEY will not be able to get any.
Judging from the pre-COVID supply & price of toilet paper; I would say that America has an excessive manufacturing and distribution capacity of that product.

A physicists will tell you that the most common element in the universe is hydrogen. That is not correct; the most common element in the universe is stupidity.In like token, common sense is the rarest element.

Pinger87
11-23-2020, 09:15 AM
We're steadily stocked. I thought that phase was over. Didn't realize some folks still having problems with it.

Wisest.fool
11-23-2020, 10:24 AM
You are lucky Sir. I've just been through two major hurricanes in Louisiana(the eye of one went right over my house) and covid shortages with three children 5 and under who like to unroll TP for the fun of it. between being without power for over a month of this year and serious supply and distribution problems in my area its something I will never take for granted again. Also, I'm not ashamed to say I stole some of the baby's wipes a few times.

snowwolfe
11-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Visited Costco yesterday. No TP or paper towels of any brand on the shelves. That was the first time I had seen that.

Mal Paso
11-23-2020, 08:53 PM
I went to Costco for meds today and they were putting pallets of TP and paper towels up front so as not to jam the back corner. Down to 2 rolls of paper towels I bought a package of 12. I hate to feed the panic but hate being out of paper towels worse. I use cotton towels for most things and use paper on stuff I won't put in the washer.

Lloyd Smale
11-24-2020, 07:57 AM
plenty here. Wife went shopping yesterday and brought home 3 packs and said there was no limits on it. Ive got it about stacked to the ceiling already and could last at least a year without buying more. Its loading components i have problems getting food and toliet paper arent a problem. Anyone want to swap some small pistol primers for tp down the line just send me a pm:bigsmyl2:

shooterg
11-24-2020, 03:44 PM
Hmm. Reloading stuff in short supply. TP would be UNLOADING supplies ?

Nueces
11-24-2020, 04:19 PM
I'm in central Texas, but close enough to the coast to be affected by hurricanes; if not the wind and rain, then the flux of evacuees, who tend to strip store shelves like soldier ants. Hurricane season is also flu season, so, for years now, I have Amazoned up my paper supplies at the end of each summer. When in an HEB, I walk right past the paper aisle. I also lay in a year's supply of meds and supplements. Other things that often go missing at the store, like Tide Free detergent, are ordered in case lots.

One positive effect of this Kung Flu madness has been the advent of curbside delivery at our HEBs. Rather than trying to kneel on bad knees and reach a quantity of items in back of a bottom shelf, I put in an order a couple of days in advance. The store shoppers can go back to storage, crack a case and fill my order with more than the usual quantities, and they load it all into the Jeep. Since I'm already at the store for pickup, I can go inside and get things like steak and avocados that I'd rather choose myself.

As for TP, I'm on well water and a septic system. I use at most 10 squares of TP a day, then switch to a single baby wipe (Amazon again, case lot of refills), which I put in the plastic bag lined trash can. One Charmin jumbo roll lasts a month. My septic trash tank needs pumping out no more often then every 5 years.

Lloyd Smale
11-25-2020, 06:07 AM
Wife and i use all the tp we want. We too have a well and septic and i have it pumped ever 3 years and the pumper always tells me i could have probably doubled that. Its not tp that screws up your septic. Soap from laundry and anti bacterial soaps you use are a much bigger threat to your septic. Anyway it cost me a 150 bucks to have it pumped every 3 years thats less then a buck a week. Im not going to worry about how much tp it takes to clean my but for a buck a week and if i wasnt so paranoid and waited 5 or 6 years it would be closer to 50 cents a week. Id bet those baby wipes and garbage bags cost you near that. the septic pumper is a friend of mine and he told me that if your septic is sized right for your home theoretically it should never need to be pumped. I screwed up with mine and its why im paranoid. I put in a 2 bed house system to save some money. Stupid in hind sight. but i do have my clothes washer and kitchen sink going to a swamp drain. So i dont get grease and laundry soap in mine. Either way i know one thing. Im not counting tp squares unless s really does hit the fan. Parden me now. its time for the morning constitutional:kidding:

woodbutcher
11-25-2020, 08:04 PM
[smilie=s: Went to the local wally mart Tuesday.TP racks were 90% full.Paper towels not so much.There were maybe 2 dozen rolls.I got four.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

HATCH
11-25-2020, 08:45 PM
Here in Lexington, its hit or miss on TP.
Same with paper towels.
I checked my TP supply and we have a few months worth on hand.
I ordered a case of 80 rolls of the 2 ply scotts brand from amazon.
It will be here first part of next week.
Paper towels on the other hand we are running low on and haven't found any.

country gent
11-25-2020, 09:13 PM
I tell the grandsons we were so poor we had to use both sides of the toilet paper.

swheeler
11-25-2020, 09:32 PM
I tell the grandsons we were so poor we had to use both sides of the toilet paper.

That's a good one, will have to use it tomorrow on the grandkids!:bigsmyl2:

xs11jack
11-26-2020, 12:38 AM
Went to the O Fallon Mo. Walmart today and the racks were about 1/4 full, mostly Charmin. A super strong package 96 equivelant rolls was $30. My Honey said Target would be much lower. She thinks Walmart is price gouging.
Ole Jack

DW475
11-26-2020, 02:38 AM
The TP situation in Eastern Idaho is crappy!

Idaho45guy
11-26-2020, 04:31 AM
Stopped by Walmart earlier today and all the TP was still gone. Limits on laundry detergent and cleaning supplies. Another new normal.

Lloyd Smale
11-26-2020, 06:49 AM

heck i had a guy on this forum tell me he quit using tp and just used his fingers and washed them afterward :holysheep

Brass&Lead
11-26-2020, 08:11 AM
Happy Thanksgiving! Please try to stay ahead of the sheeple. Will Rogers said, “Always drink upstream of the herd”. If things get bad, I might have to subscribe to the newspaper – at least it would be good for that!

lightman
11-26-2020, 11:26 AM
We have not been in a store for a while so I don't really know whats in stock or whats low. We have a somewhat oversize 2 car garage and several years ago we built cabinets across the front, so we have lots of storage room. The Wife does a good job of staying stocked up. She buys non perishable items in bulk when they are on sale and takes advantage of any discounts like Seniors day and uses coupons whenever possible. We also have a large kitchen with lots of cabinets and She does the same thing on items such as sugar, flour, coffee, can goods, ect.

But anyway, we're usually not effected by temporary shortages.

blackthorn
11-26-2020, 12:55 PM
The TP situation in Eastern Idaho is crappy!

Is that from using both sides???

Cosmic_Charlie
11-28-2020, 01:28 PM
Plenty **** tickets.

Smoke4320
11-28-2020, 02:35 PM

Tim

If only this worked ... There is going to be a shortage of Socialists/Commies and Dems Starting next month and lasting 150 years :)

snowwolfe
11-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Wife hit Wal Mart yesterday. She said there was plenty of TP and paper towels on the shelves

Handloader109
12-02-2020, 06:34 PM
Short up here in Walmart territory. Both walmart groceries and stores were almost out.

edler7
12-03-2020, 11:01 PM
Pretty spotty here. Some days there's plenty, other days...not so much.