PDA

View Full Version : Seems Cookbooks multiply like Reloading Manuals.

WILCO
11-16-2020, 11:21 AM
Going off the top of my head, there's four or five of them.
Never needed to make biscuits from scratch, but it's something
I want to do now that I've perfected my sausage gravy.[smilie=1:

jimlj
11-16-2020, 12:48 PM
I've got a whole shelf full of them, but most of the time I look up anything I want to cook on the internet.

gnappi
11-16-2020, 01:51 PM
Cookbooks, trashy love novels and old computer books are more heavily represented in thrift shops than many others. Like exercise equipment bought as a new year resolution and donated in July, they wind up unused :-) All Hail the internet, now with products like "the mirror" and cooking shows we don't have to leave home!!!

DougGuy
11-16-2020, 01:55 PM
I have a whole stack of the now very hard to find Cajun and New Orleans cookbooks, whether I use them or not they are cool to look up some of the recipes. Cajun cuisine is in a league all by itself, there is no comparison.

Pigboat
11-16-2020, 01:57 PM
Going off the top of my head, there's four or five of them.
Never needed to make biscuits from scratch, but it's something
I want to do now that I've perfected my sausage gravy.[smilie=1:

Care to share your sausage gravy recipe ? I've been working on mine but haven't got it to where I want it to be yet.

marlin39a
11-16-2020, 02:00 PM
I’ve got quite a collection going back to the 70’s. Unfortunately, since I came down with diabetes, they’re now useless to me.

dangitgriff
11-16-2020, 04:27 PM
I have a whole stack of the now very hard to find Cajun and New Orleans cookbooks, whether I use them or not they are cool to look up some of the recipes. Cajun cuisine is in a league all by itself, there is no comparison.

I snapped up an old Justin Wilson cookbook from a flea market about 3 years ago, I gar-ron-teed you! [emoji3]

Winger Ed.
11-16-2020, 04:50 PM
Care to share your sausage gravy recipe ? I've been working on mine but haven't got it to where I want it to be yet.

Until ya find the perfect one-

Putting home made sausage in with a envelope of Pioneer peppered gravy from grocery store is pretty good.

Wayne Smith
11-16-2020, 07:42 PM
We have bookshelves of them, including a 1937 Joy of Cooking. That has instructions for breaking down a carcass. Literally from the butcher shop in the barn to the fancy ball. Lot of specialty cookbooks including three of mine on making liquors.

blackthorn
11-16-2020, 07:51 PM
I had my Mother's cook book and etiquette book from the 1890's. Interesting book. One thing I found enlightening was that stated categorically that "Smoking is the cause of the current race of pigmies in Africa"! My son has it now.

shooterg
11-16-2020, 08:05 PM
I had my Mother's cook book and etiquette book from the 1890's. Interesting book. One thing I found enlightening was that stated categorically that "Smoking is the cause of the current race of pigmies in Africa"! My son has it now.

Saw this . We just had 22" of water in the basement while we were out of state visiting the grandboy. Lost all Mom's cookbooks/etc. Coulda saved 'em if we'd been here I guess . Dangit !!