PDA

View Full Version : Performing "the last favor" and advice for widows, shooters, and survivors

gnappi
11-16-2020, 08:39 AM
For the third time in my life this past week a longtime associate and fellow shooter passed away, and the widow asked of me at his church service to sort out his firearms and related stuff in order for her to sell it and possibly ask others and associates if they had any interest.

Whether it was due to her being distraught or she is a genuinely distrustful person to add into her request in our conversation, "I don't know if I can trust you"

Well, this got me thinking about final wishes of firearms owners.

First off, widows should not have to ask associates, friends, or family members for assistance placing values on firearm related items. So IMO the owner of said equipment should have a running list of their assets and estimates of value for when they pass on for survivors.

Next up, I was disheartened after hearing her say, "I don't know if I can trust you" and I figure if the deceased owner of said equipment trusted the suggested person to deal with the widow or children, making a statement like this may cause (as it did in my case) the person being asked for help to draw further away and provide enough information to assist disposal and minimal help after.

Finally for friends and associates of the deceased who are interested in obtaining some of these assets. IMO, offering the survivors a fair researched current price will not only relieve them of needing to sell / dispose on their own but gain trust in your offer should they research your offer.

Mr Peabody
11-16-2020, 08:52 AM
We should all have the good graces to take care of the issue before hand. It's like making out a will, do it!

richhodg66
11-16-2020, 08:56 AM
For the third time in my life this past week a longtime associate and fellow shooter passed away, and the widow asked of me at his church service to sort out his firearms and related stuff in order for her to sell it and possibly ask others and associates if they had any interest.

Whether it was due to her being distraught or she is a genuinely distrustful person to add into her request in our conversation, "I don't know if I can trust you"

Well, this got me thinking about final wishes of firearms owners.

First off, widows should not have to ask associates, friends, or family members for assistance placing values on firearm related items. So IMO the owner of said equipment should have a running list of their assets and estimates of value for when they pass on for survivors.

Next up, I was disheartened after hearing her say, "I don't know if I can trust you" and I figure if the deceased owner of said equipment trusted the suggested person to deal with the widow or children, making a statement like this may cause (as it did in my case) the person being asked for help to draw further away and provide enough information to assist disposal and minimal help after.

Finally for friends and associates of the deceased who are interested in obtaining some of these assets. IMO, offering the survivors a fair researched current price will not only relieve them of needing to sell / dispose on their own but gain trust in your offer should they research your offer.

I'm sure she didn't mean that the way it sounded. Like you said, probably not exactly in the best state of mind when she said it, but you know her better than I do, obviously. If you think she was sincer in it, I'd back away from that whole deal and have nothing to do with it, trouble waiting to happen.

Rcmaveric
11-16-2020, 09:05 AM
Thats been discussed here a few times. Get your affairs in order before setting sail for God's Holy Range. That includes taking care of all your tool, die, collections, and arms.

I set a side a gun for each child. They can do with it as they please. For the rest its first come first serve. I also made a third party the executioner of my living and death will. Oddly enough my ex wife is the executioner of my living will. Wife and mom said they couldn't pull the plug on me. Ex wife called me bstrd for that move.

What ever isnt taken gets donated either on here or on Craigslist. It feels wrong to sell it. Bound to be new or experienced caster that would be more grateful and cherish they items knowing the history.. Doubt there would be anything left but the casting stuff. My whole family is a gun fanatics. My brother is starting to reload but I am the only experienced reloaded and the only caster. God willing though I got another 60 to 70 years of casting, shooting and hunting in me. Hoping to go in my sleep while hunting. Lay down on the trail for a little nap from chasing bambi and then have a great dream about meeting Jesus and it turn into a reality

She is just upset and distraught so I wouldn't take it personally.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Joe504
11-16-2020, 10:24 AM
I have had to do this, or help people tasked with this, 4 times. It's always a mess. Once was somone who was 40 years old.

Please guys, make a list, with descriptions, serial numbers and photos. Have estimated retail values, and select someone to handle your affairs.

Yes, it's time consuming, but, its absolutely necessary.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Elroy
11-16-2020, 10:32 AM
I would recommend to anyone that asked me ,that they advertise,and hold an auction. At an auction atmosphere a competitive frenzy will usually equate to a good selling price.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-16-2020, 10:45 AM
My neighbor, Coworker, and friend of 20 yrs ...passed away 7 years ago of cancer, he was 76 and was a Korean War Vet, which I never knew until his funeral :shock: His wife, who is also my friend, asked me to evaluate her husbands guns for her, as she said she didn't trust her 3 Son-in-Laws :shock::shock::shock:

I am thinking those who are in the Greatest Generation, who have lived through some tough times, may be wary of people...all people...when it comes to money and/or expensive items.

I believe she only asked me to do this favor, as during a preliminary conversation, I told her that I had seen most of Orville's Guns in past years, and I had no interest in any of them. So she was likely just asking for evaluation for dispersion purposes to children and grandchildren.

That's my 2¢

snowwolfe
11-16-2020, 10:50 AM
If someone in this situation told me they didn’t know if they could trust me my answer would be:
“Don’t worry about it, find someone else to do the favor.”
Why? Because likely no matter how much work I expended or cash received on the proceeds people would be telling her she could of gotten more.
It’s a no win situation after her comment.

Joe504
11-16-2020, 10:59 AM
If someone in this situation told me they didn’t know if they could trust me my answer would be:
“Don’t worry about it, find someone else to do the favor.”
Why? Because likely no matter how much work I expended or cash received on the proceeds people would be telling her she could of gotten more.
It’s a no win situation after her comment.People in grief will say things that they really do not mean.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Brass&Lead
11-16-2020, 11:51 AM
I am stunned. I had to sleep on it before I could come up with a civil response.

Firs off thank you for assisting the widows in disposing of their husbands sporting goods.

The comment of "I don't know if I can trust you" – WOW. Why is she asking you then?

Please be very careful.

gnappi
11-16-2020, 11:57 AM
Thanks all, it just may be that it was a slip of the tongue, and I actually only met her a couple of times but like a knife thrust, words cannot be retrieved. After I declined to offer more than an honest multi page valuation she offered me a percentage of the proceeds to which I said it would be inappropriate to take money... in my view, case closed.

I think Joe504 is right in saying: "Because likely no matter how much work I expended or cash received on the proceeds people would be telling her she could of gotten more"

I've been burned in similar situations where even when my time and effort was donated others said I MUST have had some motive for my kindness, to hell with that!

Like my parents used to say when they got burned by friends, relatives or associates: "Let no good deed go unpunished" :-) A sorry statement to make on relationships.

Handloader109
11-16-2020, 12:13 PM
You did right. By both her, your friend and yourself. By offering to give her a written evaluation, and refusing payment as percentage, (I've no issue with nominal fee for time spent, It would depend on how good a friend he was and your circumstances) You made it so she could make up her own mind. Yes, I need to place a value on a lot of things around here, not only guns, I've got a bunch of exotic hardwood I bought two decades ago that is probably worth several thousand dollars now along with my tools.
But this is a two edged sword, you do set a value, but that value can and will change based upon time. You should also update as time goes by.

I wouldn't touch it past what you did.

WILCO
11-16-2020, 12:22 PM
I no longer get involved with Widows and their requests.

downzero
11-16-2020, 12:34 PM
I would tell her to find an auction house, especially if there was anything antique or unique. Now is the peak of market value for firearms and I'm sure she'll do fine. I echo the comments that if she doesn't completely trust you, you will end up putting this in the "no good deed goes unpunished" category.

thxmrgarand
11-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Somehow I get asked to do this quite often; value firearms for a widow. First, I never buy any of the guns myself. Second, I give 3 prices for any firearm that has much value; (1) a garage sale price. (2) the price a LGS would ask. (3) the price she might receive if she is willing to wait until the right buyer comes along, which is somewhere between 1 & 2 of course. I always urge that nice guns, and if you like, iconic guns, be passed along to relatives rather than sold. Seldom is a there a gun that is worth even $2,000 so the dollar value is always unsubstantial. Too often I am disappointed to be told by the widow that she has already offered the guns to descendants and they don't want them. I always ask if there are boxes or other accessories, and sometimes I can match those up with the guns. If the guns have not been through an FFL outfit since 1968 then I urge the widow or executor to avoid doing that (and the impending White House change is strong evidence for me that I do all of us a favor - all Americans - in doing that). We need our guns for an uncertain future, and giving serial numbers to any government endangers those guns and their owners. And after all, my valuation is free.

farmbif
11-16-2020, 12:48 PM
I went to funeral of close friend very recently and it was a bit crazy, the preacher preached and all that but a whole bunch of the people that I spoke to there seemed to be very interested in "what can I get from you" and the mans children started moving their dads stuff out before the funeral even happened and had plans all figured out to get trucks and trailers to get all their dads stuff off of moms place. maybe its just the times recently with economic conditions being very tight for a whole lot of people. but it kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. I was there to pay my respects to my friend and nothing more.

salpal48
11-16-2020, 01:03 PM
Most people who Die with a Collection Of Firearms, leave there family with a general overstatement of what there collection is worth. This has justified their way of purchasing an item. They Know Of what They have been told For Years and years of Mistrust. I no longer get Involved. I only give them a List of auction houses to call. My pat standard answer. is " they are only worth what someone else is willing to Pay"

GOPHER SLAYER
11-16-2020, 02:32 PM
I have been asked several times to help dispose of firearms collections. The last time I was asked by a widow of a shooting friend. I went to the home, appraised the collection which was made up of mostly of high quality S&W. I told her I would call friends, bring in one or two at a time. While there I wrote on each pistol what I thought would be a fair price. I brought one friend and he bought a pistol. Within a day or two I got a call from the widow's daughter wanting to know what I did with a certain S&W model. I told her I never saw a model 29. I then asked, are you accusing me of stealing the pistol? I told the daughter that her mother had sat and watched me all the time I was there and that I was wearing shorts and a light shirt and it would be very difficult to hide a large pistol on my person. After that she calmed down, then she gathered up all the firearms and took them to a gun shop and had Mom put them on consignment. Later the widow called me and apologized. I have received two more calls asking for help and I passed. When I was working it was known that I knew a lot about guns. Men would approach with a list of guns and asking for help. After a time I would tell them, forget about it, you will never see any of those guns. There are always relatives who swoop in and screw up the situation. When asked, if you can, just say I don't know enough abut guns to help.

country gent
11-16-2020, 02:58 PM
This is always a touchy situation to be put in. The family member knows their deceased trustd you but they may have no first hand knowledge to base trust on. Always remember trust like respect inst given its earned over time. I have done this with firearms reloading equipment twice and more times with coworkers tools. You think firearms are hard try the accumulation of a 35 year tool makers boxes. Here chances are very good the wife family dont even know whats at work or even have an idea what they are for. They look through catalogs and see a top name tool and expect the shop made Dad had to be the same value. What was often done here was a shop held raffle on the tools boxes and things. Sometimes boxes would be split up into separate raffles.

With firearms collections when I ask I normally handle it in this way. I will meet with the whole family widow and children at one time. I offer my rough knowledge and recomend a local auction house to appraise the collection I know and trust. They are well versed in values and what to expect. Again they meet with me and all concerned to go over the items. Where it gets really tricky is the family members who want an item and making it "fair" to others. In one the firearms were to be given first choice to the children One boy every pick was a high dollar firearm the others was more sentimental. One is picking 1500-3000 firearms and the other 100-500.

By bringing in the expert to work with you and them you remove a lot of questions and concerns. Just your word with people you may or may not know well isnt a lot but the "expert" with your word goes along way to bolster their trust

Winger Ed.
11-16-2020, 03:21 PM
It's always a tough spot to be in.

I've bought a few when I was told, "Money isn't the problem. I don't want the guns in the house, or our kids to get them".
This from a lady that bought a new Mercedes every 2nd year. She just wanted them gone.
I told her approx. what they were worth, and how much money I had, which wasn't even close to their value.
She said, "Fine, they're your problem now."

Another widow of a good customer came to me that had a couple, and once again, she wanted them gone.
She pulled up to the store looking for me, and she wasn't not going to take them back home.
I told her approx. what they were worth, and I could pay it. I turned my wallet upside down, and she was happy.

Another had a large collection. No way I could afford the high end weapons her husband had.
Money wasn't a problem for her, but she didn't want to have a fire sale either.
I got her in contact with our local gun store guy to put them on consignment.
It took about a year to sell them all, but she got a fair price for them.

WebMonkey
11-16-2020, 03:29 PM
i'll echo the above comments.

when my dad passed (he was NOT a gun collector) my mom was plenty young enough to 'handle' anything that wasn't written down.

when my mom passed just a few short year later, the details for 'what goes where' were VERY complete.

this taught me, in person, how things could be handled to ease the survivor's burden.

i started with an 'inventory', now in open office format, when i had little.
now that i have more than that, it is nice to know there is a printed copy and a digital copy (that my wife knows how to get at) of my beloved treasures.
:)

unfortunately for her (or other heirs) i have copious notes accompanying each photo describing just how beloved that particular treasure is.
;)

while i don't update prices/values super regular, what i do have written down has a date with it (this was $$$ in 1990) etc.

it was a booger to digitize the first time but very easy to update now.

'monkey

Froogal
11-16-2020, 03:30 PM
I guess I am probably the odd one out here, but my wife and I both shoot. She has been with me nearly every time I have purchased a firearm, and then places the sales receipt in a lockable box.

MaryB
11-16-2020, 03:41 PM
I have done this 3 ties for ham radio friends widows and I will never do it again. Always get accusation form other hams I am not selling it for enough, I am keeping prime pieces for my own use etc... last one I made an inventory, told her that I am selling on eBay at whatever the going prices are that week and prices are VERY variable there. A radio worth $1k the week before may drop to $800 the next because something better came out...

And the towers and antennas sell for 1/3 new price making everyone mad at me. Something I cannot control... Told a friend who asked that no, I am not going through that again, it sours me on the hobby every time I do it. I told him to inventory everything, leave instructions to look up prices on eBay and list it for the average going price unless it is a pristine like new piece of equipment.

snowwolfe
11-16-2020, 04:02 PM
My spouse was told numerous times if I died before her to put one gun at a time on Gunbrokers with a no reserve auction for 7-10 days. Once it was sold and shipped do it all over again. She knows how to get in touch with my FFL if handguns need to be mailed as well. Told her under no circumstances to sell the collection to a estate buyer. Under the best of conditions doubt she would get 20 cents on a dollar to a estate buyer.
Also keep a book that lists every gun I own, serial number, and type of scope or optic as well as what I paid for it.

farmbif
11-16-2020, 05:30 PM
there are always the option of a place like rock island auction, they come to your door to pick up and pack the collection, for like $500, and then auction them off to the highest bidder, and then they just keep 25percent for the service. but they are reputable and honest and there is no getting caught in the middle of bad feelings and ruined friendships down the road.

shooterg
11-16-2020, 08:02 PM
3 words . Auction. Auction. Auction . A well known auctioneer will get the widow as much a lot quicker . Sure, maybe one or 2 will go for a song, but on average(around here anyway) the auction prices are usually higher than LGS prices . And if I wanted one of my friend's pieces, I'll bid on it !

Winger Ed.
11-16-2020, 08:09 PM
Always get accusation form other hams I am not selling it for enough, .

I have no tolerance for those whose only contribution to a bad situation is to criticize others that actually do the heavy lifting,
and nothing is ever good enough for them.

I've learned to smell it on people, and am ready to ask, "OK, there's still some left, how much are you willing to pay"?
Then it always gets real quiet.

scattershot
11-16-2020, 08:26 PM
If she says she can't trust you, give her directions to the nearest gun store and walk away.

Petrol & Powder
11-16-2020, 08:27 PM
My first thought is, the stress of everything at the time affected her. Understandable for someone in her position.

My second thought is, unless there is an extreme need for money right now; what's the rush?
Why does the property need to be disposed of instantly? Slow down, let her grieve and adjust. The stuff isn't going anywhere and a little bit of time may result in a far better outcome.

turtlezx
11-16-2020, 08:42 PM
snowwolf has the right idea put them on gun broker
You dont need to know what anything is worth the auction decides the price
simple done and gone

leadeye
11-16-2020, 09:05 PM
Tough situation, but you handled it well. I'm somewhat torn between having my collection distributed on GB to maximize the value or have an auction like a good Irish wake. Free drinks from my bourbon collection to bidders!

reddog81
11-17-2020, 02:27 AM
One of the problems with selling guns is that the value can vary significantly depending on how much effort you put into it. A bunch of good pictures and accurate description can make $100’s of dollars in difference on an auction.

How soon you need to get rid of the gun makes a big difference. Going down to the LGS and dumping everything there is going to get a much different price vs doing a bunch of research and putting them up for sale on armslist and being able to sit on them for a few weeks until the right buyer comes along. One person lowball price is another person glad to get rid of it price.

kerplode
11-17-2020, 01:24 PM

This is called a clue...Walk away from this lady. You're guaranteed to get hassled for your trouble.

I do like the idea of pre-planning how to dispose of a collection. Good to value stuff and all, but better to just unload it all yourself before you croak. Or at least the stuff that's most valuable.

Really, though, I kinda think the government is gonna make "what to do with firearms when you die" stop being a problem at some point in the near future...

cabezaverde
11-17-2020, 02:36 PM
I have told my family to take all the unwanted gun stuff to a local auction house that specializes in gun auctions. Sure, they take a cut, but things tend to sell for top prices and it is hassle free. A check just shows up in the mail.

quail4jake
11-17-2020, 02:59 PM
What Scattershot said! Having been an executor and being a trustee, I can attest that the probability of later accusations of theft and other malfeasances is very high especially when the heirs and assigns start to appear. I wouldn't even recommend an attorney or a specific FFL / auction house, just advice to find one and follow their advice then break off with a warm, heartfelt handshake and say "I'm very sorry for your loss". Don't look back. If I were to purchase anything from that estate it would only be from a dealer with no special purchase advantage or at public auction and if that could be anonymous so much the better. Anyway take it as advice from a non attorney spokesperson...

Winger Ed.
11-17-2020, 03:01 PM
I was disheartened after hearing her say, "I don't know if I can trust you"

I had to come back to this:

I've run it that sort of thing a few times here & there.
As I decline the wonderful opportunity ,,,,, my response has always be along the lines of,

'I don't mind helping, but I'm not going to do a sales campaign, con job, or fight ya for the privilege.'
Or, 'If ya don't think I can handle it, you owe it to yourself to find someone who can'.

Shawlerbrook
11-17-2020, 03:10 PM
If she is at all apprehensive, then the situation will only get worse, especially after other scavengers attack your honest efforts. I think of the old saying.....hell is paved with good intentions . You seem to have handled the situation with honor and grace . I agree that in situations like these steering to a good auction house might be the best alternative.

bedbugbilly
11-17-2020, 03:34 PM
I have been put in this position twice and fortunately, the widows were appreciative of the help and advice I gave them in regards to disposing the guns and items they wished to get rid of. Now, when I am asked, I refer them to a gun dealer who will give them a fair estimate of what firearms and related should sell for and recommend that they consign it.

I don't blame you for being upset at her comment about trust - especially if you were a friend of her husband. People all react differently to death - especially of a spouse. It may be the stress and strain she is under - or she could very well just be "that kind of person". While it bothers you, I would just shrug it off and take it as a sign that it might be better if you didn't get involved in it. It's not "you".

I keep a running inventory of what I have - now much I paid - etc. That doesn't[t mean that it is worth that at the time of my death but it would give my wife an idea of what things are as like most wives - it isn't her hobby and she has no idea of what a lot of things are even used for. We don't have kids but I have marked and listed some things that I would like her to give to a couple of different young fellows that I know would appreciate them. The rest of the stuff, I have several places where she could consign it and what it brings, it brings.

dverna
11-17-2020, 05:51 PM
Why would a spouse trust anyone they may have never met? My friend has asked me to help his wife if he passes. I have known him for 15 years and have met her three times.

I will deal with her natural mistrust because I am helping my friend. He has willed me a $10k shotgun but I will sell it and give the proceeds to his widow.

If is was the widow of an acquaintance, I would not not want to take on the responsibility.

john.k
11-17-2020, 08:24 PM
Guns are pretty easy to value.....try old car and motorbikes,especially parts.....some things have astronomical values,which many would dismiss as junk.....I see the widow mobbed by bargain hunters at the funeral,some even getting in early before the funeral....And its quite possible ,that good friends of the deceased are viewed as encouraging the collection of things that the wife was opposed to.

Old School Big Bore
11-17-2020, 08:50 PM
I've never been asked to handle that directly but was tasked by a church brother who had reluctantly got stuck being his golf buddy's executor. Luckily I did not know the deceased. I hauled tools to my friend's house, where he had the entire "collection" laid out and a spreadsheet started, with a printout for me to pencil in data. I cleaned, inspected, graded, repaired where necessary, and priced from the current blue book. It took me four days. When he asked what he owed me, I said, "whatever you think it's worth". He told me to pick any gun (an unfortunately bumper-chromed Deerstalker) and then told me to pick another (a pristine 5" M27) and because my friend was the cutout between the heirs and myself, I had no qualms about accepting them. The Deerstalker gets warmed up regularly and the 27, after a bit of shooting, the installation of a target rear sight and a bit of duty carry, is my only safe queen but will go to my eldest.
As for my own guns and loading/casting gear, I maintain a spreadsheet including the intended recipient and that will be appended to my will.
Ed <><

Texas by God
11-17-2020, 09:48 PM
"If you want to make God smile, make plans"
After recently almost checking out( again), I have decided to continue giving the Special Keepers to my three children, and paring down the others to the minimum needed to "keep house". They will be given or sold away. I was the executor of my in laws estate, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. My Precious One of 33 years knows what to do.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Tom Trevor
11-17-2020, 09:59 PM
Owner of the local gun shop used the term "tipping over the widow"

Lloyd Smale
11-18-2020, 07:24 AM
i did it for one guy and would have to say no to another. I know thats a bit harsh but it was a very stressful deal. I know what a guns worth i know what he paid for it. Now where do you draw the line at what your going to take for one. If im selling my own gun and take a loss oh well its my problem. but when i got to the gun shop or have someone make me an offer on something like a 454 ruger redhawk or a 757 win featherweight that i know is worth X dollars but i also know its not going to be in much demand around here because everyone wants 9mms and 270s. Where do I draw the line. Reloading gear is even worse. Either your going to spend weeks or months on the internet selling it boxing it up and shipping it or your going to take it in the pants locally. Dont know about you but i felt so guilty with the best offer on that 757 (which was 450 bucks) that i bought it myself for 650 and even then was worried i was ripping her off. If asked again id tell her to do one of two things. Take it all to a gunshop and get your money and pull up your pants afterward or get a family member to sell it. Had another buddy die a couple years ago. His wife had another friend sell his guns. I even bought two (at fair prices) and she came back later and chewed the guy out saying that her friends husband said she got ripped off on the money she got for them. NO THANKS.

BP Dave
11-18-2020, 10:41 AM
About 25 years ago I went to a guy's house to look at a rolling block he had advertised for sale. He was elderly and frail--my grandfather's generation--with an old injury that made walking difficult. We got to talking and he showed me about 50 guns, reloading equipment, components, tools, etc. and asked if I would buy them. There were some decent pieces but nothing else that really fit my needs.

We talked about how he could sell everything, but his inability to walk while carrying anything was a real limitation on my suggestions. He had local family, but they were not willing to help, and as we talked he seemed to get increasingly desperate. I ended up taking it all to gun shows for him (half one month and half the next--remember gun shows?) for 10% of the gross. Why he trusted me, a stranger, I cannot tell--I guess he felt he had no choice (or was a good judge of character--hah hah). It was a lot of work, and I'm sure some folks got bargains, but he was pleased with the result, and in those pre-Internet days, his options were limited. Odd thing--he was a former machinist or toolmaker and had the most extensive and carefully stored and indexed collection of taps and dies I had ever seen--took up a wall of his hobby room. Those were the one thing I was interested in, but he would not part with them at any price. I think he was saving them for his family.

Looking back, I was very lucky—the unhelpful family could have shown up at any time to accuse me of ripping off "dear old dad," and at this point I would probably not do it again. If you agree to help someone like this, you are doing a tremendous service, but it is a lot of work. Plus, you run the risk of hard feelings or accusations, especially where someone has already expressed doubts or if some Sunday morning quarterback tells the widow you didn't do it right. To the original poster--she already said she doesn't know if she can trust you--that's a pretty big warning sign.

john.k
11-20-2020, 02:31 AM
Shouldnt say it ,but my own mother turned quite mean and nasty in her final years.....she listened to a coterie of quite vicious old women ,who cursed everything about men,sons ,relations etc...and were always on the take ....She met this group through something organized by a social worker,supposedly ,a group who did hobbies together,but most of the women were on the breadline,where my mother was quite well off......The weakness and unreliability of men was in them dying years earlier than women,and escaping their obligations.....hard one to avoid ,that.

Winger Ed.
11-20-2020, 02:59 AM
Shouldnt say it ,but my own mother turned quite mean and nasty in her final years.

So did my Mom.
My Dad made the observation- some women are like junk yard dogs, the older they get, the meaner they get.

tankgunner59
11-22-2020, 09:02 PM
I was just thinking the other day that I need to sit down and make an inventory of my stuff with associated aproximate values. Thanks for the prod.

gnappi
11-23-2020, 06:57 AM
Shouldnt say it ,but my own mother turned quite mean and nasty in her final years..>>SNIP<<

How odd for you to say that, In their later years both my mom AND dad were both perpetually angry... at me, the world. When folks ask me what took them I say "Pissedoffidness" :-)

45workhorse
11-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Blue book of gun values! Have her look things up! With you there, problem solved.
I did it for a friend of my wife, and walked away and never mentioned them again!

Winger Ed.
11-23-2020, 06:29 PM
perpetually angry... at me, the world. When folks ask me what took them I say "Pissedoffidness" :-)

Since I'm shameless---- I'm going to steal that, use it, and tell people I thought of it.:bigsmyl2:

That happened to a buddy. His Dad went over that edge too.
It was so bad, if ya showed him something, he'd ask, "Where's mine"?
Then he'd go all goofy since you hadn't brought and given him one too.

I was talking to my buddy one time and the subject came up, and I told him I just couldn't handle being around him anymore.
He told me, "Yeah, I love my Dad, but sometimes this **** just sucks my will to live".

MaryB
11-24-2020, 02:18 PM
To use a hashtag I started... #PerpetuallyOffended LOL

MT Gianni
11-24-2020, 08:25 PM
My wifes sister's husband died unexpectedly about 5 years ago. She is a non-shooter but isn't yet ready to sell them off. Do not expect to be able to predict grief.

lightman
11-26-2020, 12:03 PM
Lots of good advice above. But the best was to have a will or at least have a list. And make sure that your "Trusted Friend" is known to your survivors. This might save a few awkward moments down the road.

I'm not planning on leaving this world anytime soon but we don't know. I started 5 years ago when I retired selling off stuff that I didn't need or use anymore. A belt buckle collection, a knife collection, a few guns, spare of duplicated reloading equipment, ammo and brass that I no longer had firearms for, ect. I offered all of it to my two Sons and my Brother and then I rented a table at a local gun show and sold off the rest of it.